Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato

---------------------------------------------
Members who spend US$20,000 and have at least 100 eligible nights in a calendar year enjoy:
  • Your24™ — the flexibility of choosing your check-in and checkout times
  • Ambassador Service* — your own personal point of contact for all your stays
*Members with 100 eligible nights and $20,000 in spend across programs are eligible for an Ambassador. We will honor Ambassador Service for members who stay 100 nights at Marriott Bonvoy hotels in 2019.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you parse the bolded text? It seems like it could be either

1) You have to actually stay 100 nights in hotels to qualify for Ambassador. IOW, you can't apply elite night credits for this.

2) If you stay 100 actual nights in hotels, you don't need to spend $20,000 to qualify for Ambassador
I think that your speculation is most likely off base. Regarding #1, this analysis is contradicted by the progress details on the app. I currently have 112 nights credit for the year, but much of that is bonus nights, Rewarding Events nights, etc. Despite this, once I passed 100 nights the app stopped displaying nights required. Clicking on the Nights Detail on the app shows that I have reached 100 nights. Eligible nights ≠ BIB (butt in bed) nights.

Regarding #2, I'm not sure why you are focusing on the sentence that you bolded and ignoring the sentence immediately preceding it.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by lexdevil
I think that your speculation is most likely off base. Regarding #1, this analysis is contradicted by the progress details on the app. I currently have 112 nights credit for the year, but much of that is bonus nights, Rewarding Events nights, etc. Despite this, once I passed 100 nights the app stopped displaying nights required. Clicking on the Nights Detail on the app shows that I have reached 100 nights. Eligible nights ≠ BIB (butt in bed) nights.
Agreed, I don't think there is any question that bonus nights count toward the 100. If they didn't, it would be a big change.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I was selecting the "2019 Annual Choice" benefit today for 50 nights. When I clicked "learn more" under "5 Elite Night Credits" I got a page with this curious and contradictory text:

---------------------------------------------
Members who spend US$20,000 and have at least 100 eligible nights in a calendar year enjoy:
  • Your24™ — the flexibility of choosing your check-in and checkout times
  • Ambassador Service* — your own personal point of contact for all your stays
*Members with 100 eligible nights and $20,000 in spend across programs are eligible for an Ambassador. We will honor Ambassador Service for members who stay 100 nights at Marriott Bonvoy hotels in 2019.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you parse the bolded text? It seems like it could be either

1) You have to actually stay 100 nights in hotels to qualify for Ambassador. IOW, you can't apply elite night credits for this.

2) If you stay 100 actual nights in hotels, you don't need to spend $20,000 to qualify for Ambassador
If its correct, then its good for people who dont have the required spending.

However, I saw that as lazy conversion from the older page that include old SPG 100 nights exception (for 2018 stays)
And the IT team failed to notice the mistake.
C17PSGR and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Regarding #2, I'm not sure why you are focusing on the sentence that you bolded and ignoring the sentence immediately preceding it....
I'm not focusing on it, merely noting that there are only a few possibilities:

1) It's saying that 100 BIB nights is sufficient to qualify for Ambassador. The phrase "stay 100 nights" is definitely different from "100 eligible nights" The former clearly denotes BIB and not award nights.

2) The statement is just redundant and superfluous

3) The statement contradicts the previous statement -- i.e. it claims there is no $20,000 requirement for 2019. This is the most likely, but I suspect it's just an error. As Kaizen notes above, the statement is probably just a hangover from last year, when they were allowing people to qualify with 100 SPG nights. Instead of deleting it, they erroneously left it in and changed the date from 2018 to 2019.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:25 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kaizen7
If its correct, then its good for people who dont have the required spending.

However, I saw that as lazy conversion from the older page that include old SPG 100 nights exception (for 2018 stays)
And the IT team failed to notice the mistake.

Ka-Ching! You nailed it.

Whomever was editing this used last year’s template and changed SPG to Marriott without realizing the implications.
C17PSGR and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:29 am

Thumbs down Underwhelmed by my Ambassador

I pushed past the 100/$20k threshold for 2019 a couple of weeks ago and received a welcoming email from my ambassador. Very nice form letter.

I have an an upcoming reservation in Palm Beach (Singer Island Resort) in 3 weeks associated with my 30’th wedding anniversary and asked if she had any influence on obtaining an upgrade for our special occasion. In a polite way she suggested that if it were truly special that I purchase whatever room I wanted rather than leaving it to chance.

Gee thanks. I hadn’t thought of that.

I’m not impressed thus far.
onepoint and Nazdoom like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
When I stay for my birthday, I only mentioned that to my ambassador and didnt request something specific like asking for upgrades.

As far as I know, ambassador can only send the request the property but then the execution will be based on the property themself.
Some might ignore the request completely and the ambassador wont be able to do anything.

So in your case, I can see that your ambassador does not want to disappoint by promise something that s/he cant guarantee.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by audrocks
I pushed past the 100/$20k threshold for 2019 a couple of weeks ago and received a welcoming email from my ambassador. Very nice form letter.

I have an an upcoming reservation in Palm Beach (Singer Island Resort) in 3 weeks associated with my 30’th wedding anniversary and asked if she had any influence on obtaining an upgrade for our special occasion. In a polite way she suggested that if it were truly special that I purchase whatever room I wanted rather than leaving it to chance.

Have you applied SNAs to this reservation?

bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by audrocks

So you thought it was going to be a gravy train of free stuff and you're disappointed? OK.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
So you thought it was going to be a gravy train of free stuff and you're disappointed? OK.
The OP had a perfectly reasonable request and expectations. Given that he spent $20k in half a year, it seems like the ambassador should at least tell him she'll do whatever she can but can't make any guarantees. Then she could call the hotel and say "I have a great customer who has a special event coming up, please extend him any courtesy you can in upgrading his room." The cost of this in time and effort is trivial.

Instead, the ambassador chose to be gratuitously impertinent, bordering on insulting, to a high-value customer. If that ambassador worked for me, I would put him/her/xhe on notice. The OP should request a new ambassador.

Last edited by porciuscato; Jun 14, 2019 at 12:37 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kaizen7
When I stay for my birthday, I only mentioned that to my ambassador and didnt request something specific like asking for upgrades.

As far as I know, ambassador can only send the request the property but then the execution will be based on the property themself.
Some might ignore the request completely and the ambassador wont be able to do anything.

So in your case, I can see that your ambassador does not want to disappoint by promise something that s/he cant guarantee.

The ambassador can certainly say "I'll do my best, but I can't guaranty anything." Doing their best to assist with a special occasion stay is exactly what good ambassadors do (per multiple reports in this thread).

If I just want unsolicited, patently obvious advice, I'll post on FT - don't need an ambassador for that.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 14, 2019 at 12:53 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:54 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The OP had a perfectly reasonable request and expectations. Given that he spent $20k in half a year, it seems like the ambassador should at least tell him she'll do whatever she can but can't make any guarantees. Then she could call the hotel and say "I have a great customer who has a special event coming up, please extend him any courtesy you can in upgrading his room." The cost of this in time and effort is trivial.

Instead, the ambassador chose to be gratuitously impertinent, bordering on insulting, to a high-value customer. If that ambassador worked for me, I would put him/her/xhe on notice. The OP should request a new ambassador.
Well, that’s the impression left by the OP in this case. Perspective is always in the eye of the beholder.

In the case of the property in question, the Singer Island Resort is an all-suite property. The entry level “room” is a 1 bedroom condominium of almost 800 square feet. Upgraded 1 bedroom condominiums have better views and most likely higher floors. I wonder if the OP was aware or understood that distinction.

People often have had similar reactions to not being upgraded from the incredible entry level tents with private pools at Al Maha, but the fault there is not the hotel’s or the Ambassador’s but a guest’s entitled expectation. Standard suites are the entry level norm at places like those.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 14, 2019 at 1:08 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
On the surface I suspect the OP is right, but there is a chance it may also be a communication thing. Every single time I asked my Ambassador for something I wasn’t immediately guaranteed under the programme, he would always say “this is not covered under the programme and so is not something I can commit to”, but every time (pre-Bonvoy) he nonetheless made it happen.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador HHonors Diamond, Hertz 5*
My experience leads me to recommend that the OP not request a new ambassador. My ambassador refuses to respond to even the simplest request. At least this ambassador spent the time to respond to you.
iadisgreat likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:58 pm

A) $20k isn't that much (based on this thread it looks like most $20k spenders don't get any attention at all and the ambassadors are too busy attending to the actual big spenders)
B) this particular property probably didn't get any of that spend so they don't really care
C) It's probably better for the ambassador to set realistic expectations than leave things vague and set the OP up for disappointment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.