Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Old May 11, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by escape4
To be fair, Aloft is specifically excluded from room upgrades in the terms & conditions. So if you remove Aloft you are 10/18, not bad.
Yes, it’s fair to remove Aloft. It’s also fair to remove SNA stays so that leaves me at 7/15.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Since April 1, I've had suite upgrades in 7 of 8 stays, the outlier was a Four Points.
Since March 1, I;ve had suite upgrades in 10 of 15 stays. March wasn't a good month although two of the hotels told me it was because they had given their available suites to people with SNA's
About 50 percent of the time, I'm getting handwritten notes from the hotel and a welcome amenity ranging from a fruit plate, to wine, to boxed chocolates.

So the February naming changes seem to have had a favorable impact. Of course, I continue to believe these are all functions of engaged GM's plus a front desk staff who can better distinguish between tiers.

As for my ambassador, she answers my calls and emails in a timely manner but the benefits of being an ambassador seem to be how things are delivered by the 7000 properties.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Do I think my Ambassador is worth the spend? No. Are upgrades and how I’m treated primarily dependent on a specific property? Yes.

I’ve had an Autograph Collection property deny breakfast benefit (at check in, and again next morning. Took face to face with GM to acknowledge “training issues”). While a Fairfield Inn I’m a regular at apologizes for not upgrading me due to the number of Ambassador level guests staying that week. (Realistic as I personally know 5 Ambassadors there that week from my team alone and the property has few suites).

Old May 11, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Currently, I agree that Ambassador tier is not worth the spends required.

From 7 stays I did, i didnt get upgraded 4 times.

Marriott does need to improve on the consistency of the benefit member received.

Its not fair for property who consistently deliver proper benefit while other can get away with deliver minimal benefit.

For example, StR SF did great to their repeat members
yet StR Sg being stingy, they under deliver. For people who only tried StR Sg, they might think that StR brands is not great and avoid them during their stay in SF

However if StR Sg and SF can uniformly provide great customer service, I believe people will choose to stay at StR on each trip provided there are StR hotel available.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:33 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
@kaizen7 I took a look last night and saw the StR Singapore where you’re staying is almost sold out for tonight. So chances are good that it was sold out or close to that on Fri night when you didn’t get an upgrade. Not getting a suite upgrade isn’t proof that the Ambassador status isn’t bearing fruit, I’m afraid. Our overlapping StR San Francisco stays where we both got suite upgrades also happened to overlap a lower occupancy weekend at that hotel. Occupancy matters.

In my case...

For YTD 2019, I’ve had a tremendous upgrade rate and I’ve also enjoyed elevated VIP treatment at almost every property at which I’ve stayed.

Total hotel stays YTD: 29 (68 BIB nights)
Suites booked outright: 2 (RC Georgetown and RC Chicago)
Suite upgrades from entry level rooms: 24
Suite upgrades from entry level award rooms: 2 (7 nights at RC Bacara Santa Barbara and RC Half Moon Bay)
Suite upgrades from entry level paid rooms: 22
Room upgrades when suite upgrade not available: 1 (RC Washington)
Suite upgrade when already booked in suite: 2 (RC Boston and RC Chicago)
Hotels that didn’t upgrade me even with “apparent” higher category room or suite availability: 2 (Courtyard Chelsea NYC and Sheraton Times Square NYC)

Brand breakdown of my suite upgrades/stays (entirely in the USA YTD):
Ritz Carlton 6/8
St Regis 2/2
Le Meridien 6/6
Sheraton 3/4
Renaissance 3/3
Courtyard 3/4
Four Points 2/2

So all my stays were in the USA and almost all of my stays had me either upgraded to a suite (24/29) or already booked in a suite (2/29) or still upgraded a few room categories (1/29). So 27 out of 29 stays showed me what Bonvoy can do for me. I’d say I have a nice cross section between luxury, upper upscale, and mid scale properties, as well.

Only 2 stays at clearly subpar hotels in NYC didn’t upgrade me, both despite suite availability at least showing on the website and app. In the case of the Courtyard Chelsea, I wasn’t even upgraded to a better room category despite availability showing on the website and app. I think we all know how poor the Sheraton Times Square is. Both fortunately were only 1 night stays so I didn’t press.

For all of my stays, however, I was generally accorded VIP status, even if they didn’t always specifically mentioned Ambassador status. It mattered, clearly. It showed clearly. The response to any complaints also clearly showed that they took my complaints very seriously. The service recovery I experienced for the service fails I had also clearly showed I was considered a VIP.

The fact is that Bonvoy’s elevation of Ambassador to the top tier of status is a major improvement on what SPG offered. It generally puts the onus on each hotel to recognize the Ambassador guest and upgrade and elevate the experience WITHOUT needing any contact from the actual Ambassador. (Obviously, as with all things, there are always going to be a small proportion of hotels that don’t do that as well as others, and the better service brands are always more likely to do a better job of delivering Ambassador service and VIP treatment than the lower service brands.) Regardless, this approach frees up Ambassadors so they can focus more on other IT and related issues and on contacting hotels only for those special occasions and special circumstances as appropriately needed—rather than the minutia so often demanded back in the SPG and early Marriott days. It’s wildly better.

Too many who focus only on suite upgrades are too often forgetting that those are based on availability. And that availability should only include the lower level suites for hotel that even have many suites. That I’ve been upgraded well in advance to suites and even a few specialty suites despite hotels being completely sold out is reflective of the fact that Ambassador status can really have impact.

Last edited by bhrubin; May 11, 2019 at 11:39 am
Old May 11, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I did check their availability before my olci and actual check in. They sold out the base room (executive deluxe but have the rest of room and suites standards and specialties marked as available)

And also about high occupancy, I believe its the "issue" across Singapore. I believe not many new hotel opening especially in the luxury segment.

The reason I focus mostly on upgrades (suite or not) is because its the easiest benefit to compare. All if not most loyalty program somewhat promise upgrade. And all comes with disclaimer if available (the only one guarantee this benefit is only IHG ambassador program I think)
Bonvoy seems to have the strongest word so far. Upgrade to best available room including standard suite and so on.

I visit Singapore quite often ... about once every month and sometimes twice. I have tried few hotels here that participate in either bonvoy or gha.
The stat as follows :
Str sg - bonvoy - 7 stays in 2018 and 3 stays in 2019
result :
1 upgrade above the required category
2 suite upgrade within standard suite category
2 room category upgrade
5 no upgrade

Parkroyal on pickering - gha - 4 stays in 2018 - we stop staying here due to the location is quite far from where we should go
result :
3 upgrade according to program t&c
1 upgrade above t&c

Pan Pacific Orchard - gha - 1 stays in 2018 - good location unfortunately the hotel was closed and demolished 😅
1 upgrade above t&c

The capitol kempinski - gha - 1 stay in 2019 (new hotel opened around end of 2018 I believe)
1 upgrade way above t&c

Their t&c only require them to upgrade me (mid tier member) 1 category only. However when the room is not available, they give me the even higher category room or suite and it seems like they frequently upgrading members to their specialty suites (supposedly not included in upgrade pool)
And it does not involve begging at check in

All the stays are similar ... between 3-4 nights
some on weekdays and some on weekends

what i can see is the consistency of upgrade among these not so famous loyalty program participants. The program manage to enforce their own t&c to the participant hotel.
And they sent survey after every stay.

As for bonvoy, even the quality of their ambassadors varies greatly.
From a super hero ambassador like @bhrubin's ambassador to the invisible ambassador that frequently mentioned in the thread

Old May 11, 2019, 2:35 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kaizen7
I did check their availability before my olci and actual check in. They sold out the base room (executive deluxe but have the rest of room and suites standards and specialties marked as available)

Well, we do know that availability online or on the app doesn’t guarantee availability of eligible suites. The fact that the hotel is sold out tonight (thought that may be last night almost for you!) suggests the latter is more likely in this particular instance...at least to me. That is no strike for me against Bonvoy or the StR Singapore.
As for bonvoy, even the quality of their ambassadors varies greatly.
From a super hero ambassador like @bhrubin's ambassador to the invisible ambassador that frequently mentioned in the thread?
Since the Bonvoy introduction in February, and the installation of the Marriott reservations system throughout the portfolio, room and suite upgrades in general have less to do now with the individual Ambassador and far more to do now with the Ambassador status recognition and handling by each individual hotel property. That’s why we’re seeing so many more posts here and in other forums of Ambassador guests enjoying major room and suite upgrades at a wide range of properties, often pre-upgraded even a few days even or hours before arrival. The Ambassador status itself is creating those opportunities that are best realized by hotels with good elite recognition and concomitant suite availability.

This new Ambassador status recognition and elevated treatment and suite upgrades are better in general than even the Hyatt Globalist recognition and complimentary suite upgrades—which almost never are confirmed until arrival (other than using the GSU at booking). And it’s certainly better than the old SPG approach for most, which required each Ambassador to contact each hotel individually to make things happen. Now Ambassadors can save time and focus those calls and emails only for special occasions.
kaizen7 likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:50 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Yet now in St Regis Sg, being a frequent ambassador guest, no upgrade.

Were suites available online when you checked in? Did you ask them why no upgrade or you let it go?

Edit: sorry I see you answered already

Last edited by escape4; May 11, 2019 at 2:57 pm
Old May 11, 2019, 2:56 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Total hotel stays YTD: 29 (68 BIB nights)
Suites booked outright: 2 (RC Georgetown and RC Chicago)
Suite upgrades from entry level rooms: 24
Suite upgrades from entry level award rooms: 2 (7 nights at RC Bacara Santa Barbara and RC Half Moon Bay)
Suite upgrades from entry level paid rooms: 22
Room upgrades when suite upgrade not available: 1 (RC Washington)
Suite upgrade when already booked in suite: 2 (RC Boston and RC Chicago)
Hotels that didn’t upgrade me even with “apparent” higher category room or suite availability: 2 (Courtyard Chelsea NYC and Sheraton Times Square NYC)

The fact is that Bonvoy’s elevation of Ambassador to the top tier of status is a major improvement on what SPG offered. It generally puts the onus on each hotel to recognize the Ambassador guest and upgrade and elevate the experience WITHOUT needing any contact from the actual Ambassador.
Awesome upgrade stats, in USA to boot which was the missing piece from my own stats ^

I have also been recognized as AMB guest at check-in this year, unlike the past where it was "Platinum" without knowledge if I was P50 P75 or P100.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:19 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I've had improving luck this year and am happy about the launch of Bonvoy with actual status levels. I do feel like things have improved. Here are my Starriott stays since 2/14:

(I've done quite a few non-Starriott stays this year, mostly Hyatt with a few IHG and Hilton thrown in for good measure. Starriott is probably 50% ish)

St. Regis Bangkok -- room upgrade
Le Meridien Ko Samui -- "suite" upgrade (all suites hotel, but they have a standard cat)
Marriott Marquis Queen's Park BKK -- suite
Four Points Soho -- no upgrade
Renaissance Montreal -- room upgrade
Hermitage Jakarta -- no upgrade
Westin Jakarta -- suite upgrade
Ritz Langkawi -- premium suite upgrade (pre-negotiated)
W Bali -- premium suite upgrade (pre-negotiated)
Renaissance Bali -- premium suite upgrade (pre-negotiated)
Marriott Surawongse BKK -- split upgrade: 2 night no upgrade, then 2 nights moved to suite
Marriott Surawongse BKK -- 2nd room, no upgrade
W Doha -- no upgade. also had a terrible stay here. screw this hotel.
Park Central SF -- high floor
Pier One Sydney -- suite upgrade
The Gwen Chicago -- no upgrade

Suite upgrade stats: 7.5/16 stays, mostly in APAC. I'm batting 500. This is only counting stays since the changeover to Bonvoy.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:07 pm

The deployment of Marriott new system that differentiate each elite level is a very positive move.

However the execution of elite benefit is still on the property's hands.

My main concern is not about st regis sg at all. Its about bonvoy seems lack of enforcement for properties who failed to provide benefit for members.

As I wrote before, Singapore do have high occupancy throughout the year. Yet some hotels manage to provide upgrade consistently (again I use upgrade as it is very easy to compare among loyalty program) and some are not.

I believe marriott does need to keep an eye on this issue as Bonvoy and the hotel brands are theirs and any negative perception of bonvoy and the hotel affect them directly.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Due to dismal activity/response from my Ambassador, I've submitted a request for a new Ambassador today.
I got tired of the "out of office" responses, fill in answers from other 'ambassador helpers' who knew little about the T&C, and finally today, a blatant disregard for my attempt to recover points/night stays and spend for 97 room nights, >$21k in spend and over 200k in points due me from a stay at one property in one week's time. My ambassador was going on vacation, so I got no bother of attention.
We'll see how it goes.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: FB PFL, ALL Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, EK PLAT, Air Caraïbes Diam, SQ PPS, ̷IHG Diam
Originally Posted by supatight80
I'm so the exact opposite. Been AMB for half a decade now and IME, the benefits are not worth it as compared to SPG days.

Total stays YTD: 14
Upgraded to Suite: 7 (2X SNA)
No upgrade: 4
No suites: 3

So that's like 50% suite upgrade or 63% suite upgrade success, depending how you look at it. SPG days, it was at least 80% suite upgrade success with matching compli. wine and goodies to boot. YTD wine in room = 0
quite agree ! And in SPG days i got four times, as it was the rule, the very best room of the hotel, which was tremendous. It was at Westin Firenze, Le Méridien Monte Carlo, W Miami and Saint Regis Mauritius. at the other end no upgrade at all in 10 stays (SPG or Marriott days) at Westin Palace, Madrid.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:00 am

I guess the main issue is marriotts lack of control to the program benefit execution.

Say Ambassador program :
@bhrubin experience will be what advertised and planned by marriott

yet the average ambassador members got either me or @supatight80 experience.

Some got even worse.

If most ambassador members experience what advertised then I believe there will be much less noises about bonvoy
C17PSGR and EuropeanPete like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I'm pretty happy with post-merger Ambassador coverage. My Ambassador helped out with 2-3 small things and 2 big things over the past 8 months, and while she definitely seems busier than she was before (maybe they added more people?), I don't need her help 95% of the time (I stay at ~3 properties very frequently, and get treated like someone who stays 50-75 nights in the same property per year would be even without the Bonvoy program). What's great is knowing that if there's a weird service exception I can just email her and it gets handled very well.

Having hotels mention Ambassador when checking in is nice, and it makes sense to have tiers, but I think occupancy and the individual property ultimately matters more.

I am requalifying for 2020 by the end of this month, so it's not that there's there's any extra effort required to maintain Ambassador for me, but it's a major perk. I'm Diamond with Hilton and Spire/Ambassador with IHG/IC too, but Marriott is my default and only if there is a very good reason do I book elsewhere. (e.g. there's a conference at a Hilton this week where I booked two rooms for my colleagues at the Hilton Midtown and then got a room at the Element TS for myself, and Courtyard Soho for a last-minute addition on points.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.