Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ethernal
That said, it's a Springhill Suites (first time staying there) so I assume the only benefit is technically the 500 point welcome gift, right? So guess it doesn't really matter either way.
I spend many nights at a Springhill Suites. Correct, the benefits are pretty non-existent. Welcome gift is about it....outside of the obvious tier bonus points on spend, etc.
I have never received bottled water in the room.

It actually was a bit better before Bonvoy. Used to get both the points plus a market item.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I spend many nights at a Springhill Suites. Correct, the benefits are pretty non-existent. Welcome gift is about it....outside of the obvious tier bonus points on spend, etc.
I have never received bottled water in the room.

It actually was a bit better before Bonvoy. Used to get both the points plus a market item.
Yep, I realized that after check-in. I had assumed the pantry item was daily (like the $10 F&B credit at a Courtyard) but that is not the case. Seems like breakfast is included in the room rate (is that true of all Springhills?).

All in all, it's not terrible (outside the fact that it was low availability and I paid over $300/night for a Springhill Suite in a second tier city's suburbs ). Interestingly I have in my profile 'low floor preferred, near elevator' (I'm lazy and want in/out as quickly as possible - ever since an elevator nightmare at the NYC property - I think it was an Element? - I always ask for a low floor when traveling for business) and they put me on the highest floor and one room away from the corner of the building. Go figure.

Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Yep, I realized that after check-in. I had assumed the pantry item was daily (like the $10 F&B credit at a Courtyard) but that is not the case. Seems like breakfast is included in the room rate (is that true of all Springhills?).

All in all, it's not terrible (outside the fact that it was low availability and I paid over $300/night for a Springhill Suite in a second tier city's suburbs ). Interestingly I have in my profile 'low floor preferred, near elevator' (I'm lazy and want in/out as quickly as possible - ever since an elevator nightmare at the NYC property - I think it was an Element? - I always ask for a low floor when traveling for business) and they put me on the highest floor and one room away from the corner of the building. Go figure.

Yes, breakfast is always provided at Springhill, regardless of status or rate. It is part of the brand standard.
Of the lower tier brands, I prefer Springhill the best. They seem to have the best room layouts...
ethernal likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

They probably didn't look at your preferences and thought they were doing you a favor by assigning the type of room that most people would want.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:46 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by kmersh
The wife has all but given up on the Ambassador program because it seems that at least on the Marriott side her Ambassador has a hard time getting anything accomplished. In fairness when she stays at legacy Starwood properties the Ambassador’s ability to ensure requests are seen to is better but my wife mainly stays at Marriott properties and thus her disappointment.

The final straw was about a month ago, we were travelling with long term friends, the husband and my close friend since college is in a wheel chair and when staying at a hotel always reserves a handicapped accessible room with a roll in shower as he cannot step over the side of a tub/shower combo. Some hotels offer both accessible rooms with a tub and accessible rooms with a roll in shower and it is a struggle for him to ensure that the right room is assigned as many times the front desk employee does not look beyond the room being accessible and it requires a second trip to the front desk to have the right room assigned.

So, knowing that my wife is a top tier elite with Marriott, he asked her to make the reservation as hopefully with her status there might be a better chance he would be assigned an accessible room with a roll in shower. She made a reservation for two rooms thinking that having two serperate reservations might confuse things and after selecting an accessible room with a roll in shower on Marriott.com she called her Ambassador to see if she could ensure that an accessible room with a roll in shower was blocked for her (my wife) reservation.

The Ambassador said it would not be a problem and let me wife know that she had ensured that the request was notated and a room with a roll in shower would be assigned.

Fast forward to check-in and sure enough, my friend and his wife were assigned an accessible room with a tub and not a roll in shower. Of course they called us and said that they needed to go back to the front desk to get another room. My wife said to me, another miss by her Ambassador who said that she had ensured an accessible room with a roll in shower had be assigned. Anyway, we went downstairs and unfortunately we come to find out that the hotel has four rooms accessible room with roll in showers and the last one was given to another customer and now they have no more. The front desk employee gets her manager and he handled the issue extremely well. He said that he is going to have to call around and find an accessible room with a roll in shower and while we wait, he said go to the bar and have a drink or two on the house. We did as instructed and had a drink while the Front Desk Manager sorted things out, about 20 minutes later he came over and apologize again and then went on to explain that he had found an accessible room with a roll in shower at the Hilton down the street, he had spoken with the hotel directly ensured that the room was hard blocked and all was set. He further went on to say that of course he was not going to charge us for our stay here and actually he was taking care of our stay at the Hilton as well (which was above and beyond what was required imho).

He then asked if we had called the hotel to ensure that an accessible room with a roll in shower was assigned to the reservation and my wife said that her Ambassador had taken care of that for her. He sighed and said that there are many changes since the merger that he does not like, but the Ambassador program was one area he felt was a big step forward for Marriott, unfortunately he said that the implementation has been rather poor so far, but did not elaborate further.

Either way things ended up fine, but the Ambassador program in my wife (and by extent my eyes) has been subpar and not worth the extra time it takes to reach out to her for special requests.
Super impressed with how the GM handled the issue!
bhrubin and krakendown like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They probably didn't look at your preferences and thought they were doing you a favor by assigning the type of room that most people would want.
Yes, I know - I didn't mean it as a ding on the property - I'm sure they thought they were doing the right thing. I don't expect much individualization at limited service properties.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Yes, breakfast is always provided at Springhill, regardless of status or rate. It is part of the brand standard.
Of the lower tier brands, I prefer Springhill the best. They seem to have the best room layouts...
What is the difference between a Springhill and a Residence Inn? Residence Inn doesn't earn full points. Does Springhill?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What is the difference between a Springhill and a Residence Inn? Residence Inn doesn't earn full points. Does Springhill?
Yes, Springhill earns the full points on room spend.

Residence Inn is setup more as a longer-stay option.

Springhill Suites typically have a microwave and mini fridge in the room, while that is not always the case with Courtyards. (There are exceptions).
I like the newer SHS room layout very much. Desks are not adjacent to Heat / AC units, and they seem a bit more spacious.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Springhill Suites typically have a microwave and mini fridge in the room.
Oh. So no kitchen?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:46 am

Oh. So no kitchen?
Nope.. my room has a microwave, minifridge, a "kitchen-sink" type area, and a real coffee maker. No oven/range or even hotplate.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
Super impressed with how the GM handled the issue!
We were too, honestly had he just comped the drinks at the bar and found us an accessible room with a roll in shower we would have been happy. To cover the cost of the Hilton was above and beyond what we would have expected.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Had a two night stay at the JW Essex House and was inspired by @hockeyinsider to try his suite upgrade strategy. Checked-in via app 48 hours in advance and used chat app to politely ask for an "ambassador suite upgrade" if available. Immediate response from hotel saying that they had noted the request. Got notice early on day of check-in that room was assigned. It was an upgrade, but from an Essex king (entry level king) to a "central park view" king, not a suite. Checked inventory online at the time and saw that all categories of suites, including Jr Suites, were still available for length of stay. Later that day at check-in I asked again about being upgraded to suite. After call from front desk agent to a manager ( I could sense the front desk clerk saw availability but needed approval) I was told no suites available. Checked inventory online and saw that several categories of suites were in fact still available (this was at 10:30PM).

The room I received was actually nice (big by NYC Standards) although the "central park view" was a bit of a joke (east facing room that could see a small part of SE corner of the park if you got right next to windows and looked north). Overall had a good stay though and the lounge at the Essex House was better than I remembered.

I know it's just one data point but just wanted to add it to the discussion as I did my best to use hockeyinsider's technique and the property clearly had inventory available yet still no joy, so I think this underscore's the property-specific nature of compliance with Ambassador benefits.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BillBurn
Had a two night stay at the JW Essex House and was inspired by @hockeyinsider to try his suite upgrade strategy. Checked-in via app 48 hours in advance and used chat app to politely ask for an "ambassador suite upgrade" if available. Immediate response from hotel saying that they had noted the request. Got notice early on day of check-in that room was assigned. It was an upgrade, but from an Essex king (entry level king) to a "central park view" king, not a suite. Checked inventory online at the time and saw that all categories of suites, including Jr Suites, were still available for length of stay. Later that day at check-in I asked again about being upgraded to suite. After call from front desk agent to a manager ( I could sense the front desk clerk saw availability but needed approval) I was told no suites available. Checked inventory online and saw that several categories of suites were in fact still available (this was at 10:30PM).

The room I received was actually nice (big by NYC Standards) although the "central park view" was a bit of a joke (east facing room that could see a small part of SE corner of the park if you got right next to windows and looked north). Overall had a good stay though and the lounge at the Essex House was better than I remembered.

I know it's just one data point but just wanted to add it to the discussion as I did my best to use hockeyinsider's technique and the property clearly had inventory available yet still no joy, so I think this underscore's the property-specific nature of compliance with Ambassador benefits.
Better luck next time. Why didn't you ask for the manager?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Better luck next time. Why didn't you ask for the manager?
A few reasons. 1. I wanted to see what would happen if I tried your strategy and was persistent without trying to escalate it into an exceptions level process by asking to speak with a manager or getting my Ambassador involved. 2. I figured I would be fine without a suite as it was just two nights, there was a lounge (nicer than expected!) and I wasn't going to spend a ton of time in the room. 3. It was 10:30PM at night and I just wanted to go to bed.

From reading your posts I know you are willing to escalate until the benefits are honored (a position I respect), I just approached this as more of an experiment to see if your app/chat based approach would work without a lot of extra effort. I am also sympathetic to your position that we need to fight to get benefits like this otherwise we are training the properties that they can get away with it so I promise to fight harder in the future
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by BillBurn
property-specific nature of compliance with Ambassador benefits.
Ambassador tier terms now indicate suite upgrades should be provided? I thought it was the same as it always has been...room upgrade including suites. As far as the Essex...the room you were upgraded to seems to be their standard go to for upgrades from what I have seen and experienced although i got lucky a couple of years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.