Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Except $20,000 really isn't that high of a threshold if you're staying exclusively in Singapore, Hong Kong, Washington, New York, London, Boston, and San Francisco. Heck, 1 week at the Prince de Galles, Luxury Collection in Paris would put you at nearly 50% of the spending threshold.

It is, however, a high threshold for Africa, India, most of southeast Asia outside Singapore and Hong Kong, and most of the United States.
i do wonder how $20,000 became the “Magic” dollar amount . It does seem to be the industry standard as that number will also get you top tier at Hilton and Hyatt . However , Hilton and Hyatt don’t have a fixed number of nights attached - spend the $20,000 and you are top tier .

No matter how you look at it , in my opinion , $20,000 is substantial- whether it’s the 40 night guest averaging $500 per night or the 100 night guest at $200 per night . I would definitely be disappointed if I had 100 nights but not the spend and were “demoted” BUT I would be more disappointed if I was the 40 night / $20,000 guest and only got Gold (which is the way it currently is with Marriott) . A 100 night guest is going to be at least Titanium in the new program and have substantial benefits. The 40 night and $20,000 guest will be Gold ,which is fairly useless .
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Isn’t Hilton Diamond just $12,000?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:33 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mister Nice

i do wonder how $20,000 became the “Magic” dollar amount . It does seem to be the industry standard as that number will also get you top tier at Hilton and Hyatt . However , Hilton and Hyatt don’t have a fixed number of nights attached - spend the $20,000 and you are top tier .

No matter how you look at it , in my opinion , $20,000 is substantial- whether it’s the 40 night guest averaging $500 per night or the 100 night guest at $200 per night . I would definitely be disappointed if I had 100 nights but not the spend and were “demoted” BUT I would be more disappointed if I was the 40 night / $20,000 guest and only got Gold (which is the way it currently is with Marriott) . A 100 night guest is going to be at least Titanium in the new program and have substantial benefits. The 40 night and $20,000 guest will be Gold ,which is fairly useless .

But if the 40 night/$20000 guest lives in the US and has a Marriott/SPG credit card he/she will be Platinum at least.

I have wondered why Marriott doesn’t offer a spend route to status a la Hyatt. It does seem to me those guests are valuable too.
Mister Nice likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:06 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Isn’t Hilton Diamond just $12,000?
Much less in the USA. Hilton Diamond is as easy as having the Hilton Aspire Amex, which provides automatic Diamond status. It comes with a $450 annual fee.

For Hyatt Globalist, spending $140K on the Hyatt card earns the 60 elite nights to qualify.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Much less in the USA. Hilton Diamond is as easy as having the Hilton Aspire Amex, which provides automatic Diamond status. It comes with a $450 annual fee.
Yes, but I meant the in scheme Diamond qualification spend. It was suggested it was $20K, but I was under the impression it was just $12K. I believe I actually qualified for Diamond this year that way myself
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
There are always more elites at the end of the year in any program.

I have no idea how many people have 100 nights but I'd guess its in the 20k range.

As of today, the ambassador program serves (a) SPG members who had 100 nights in 2017, (b) legacy Marriott ambassador members, (c) SPG members who hit 100 nights in 2018, and (d) other members who hit 100 nights and 20k spend in 2018.

On February 1, 2019, some of the SPG members who had 100 nights in 2017 and some of the legacy Marriott ambassador members will no longer qualify. So, it will be a smaller group.

On February 1, 2020, it will be even smaller -- particularly considering there are a number of legacy SPG members on this thread reporting that they have 100 nights in SPG properties but didn't hit the 20k spend level.

As for the 20k level, Marriott always had a level -- only it wasn't published -- that they used for selection of Platinum Premier status under the old program. It certainly required several years of 100+ nights and probably a spend level around 20k. And, the spend level is certainly being pushed by the airlines.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
PdG can be had for $500 or so in certain weeks, so one week wouldn't necessarily get you there

I highly doubt these "40 night / $20K" people exist w/Marriott
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver

MR did say they reserve the rights to invite people who didnt make the 100nights+$20k spending to ambassador tier ....
MR will surely invite someone who spend significantly higher than $20k but didnt have the neccesary 100 nights

But person with high nighty average ..... I'm curious what will MR do ...
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
PdG can be had for $500 or so in certain weeks, so one week wouldn't necessarily get you there

And other weeks, a room can be closer to $900. My suite was $1800 per night. That's over $12,000 for a week, before any food and beverage spending.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:31 am

And other weeks, a room can be closer to $900. My suite was $1800 per night. That's over $12,000 for a week, before any food and beverage spending.
Using your example , let’s say you do 2 weeks a year in that suite and spend $24,000 before other spend (and very few sporadic nights elsewhere ) - are you suggesting that you would be content with Gold status ? That spend would give you top tier and the attendant benefits with competitors . I truly believe that any property owner /manager loves having guests that pay top dollar for premium rooms and would be more than willing to offer a breakfast benefit and 4pm late checkout for anyone spending $1800 per night . In reality , they don’t have to offer you either as a Gold who has the spend but not the nights .
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

Using your example , let’s say you do 2 weeks a year in that suite and spend $24,000 before other spend (and very few sporadic nights elsewhere ) - are you suggesting that you would be content with Gold status ? That spend would give you top tier and the attendant benefits with competitors . I truly believe that any property owner /manager loves having guests that pay top dollar for premium rooms and would be more than willing to offer a breakfast benefit and 4pm late checkout for anyone spending $1800 per night . In reality , they don’t have to offer you either as a Gold who has the spend but not the nights .
I think most people who use cash for expensive suites don't really care about elite status for the same reasons you mentioned. The same goes for international business-class or international first-class. I've met filthy rich people, corporate execs and other travelers who have no idea how many miles or points they have or anything about the program.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Dec 30, 2018 at 7:59 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:54 am

I think most people would use cash for expensive suites don't really care about elite status for the same reasons you mentioned. The same goes for international business-class or international first-class. I've met filthy rich people, corporate execs and other travelers who have no idea how many miles or points they have or anything about the program.
i agree that many guests paying for premium accommodations are not worried about free breakfast . However , it’s the other benefits of top tier that hold value for travelers .
1. Access to the top tier of customer service support with an Ambassador
2. 48 hour reservation guarantee
3. Your 24
4. 4 pm late checkout
these benefits can hold great value for the corporate traveler and leisure traveler alike
it’s not necessarily the points , breakfast, or upgrades that matter to a certain traveler profile
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Apparently other loyalty programs like hyatt hilton and accor (and even ihg) are using point based qualification as alternative to nights or stays

If MR only gave those high spending customers gold, I guess its better for them to join other program.

With 20k spending they can earn globalist in Hyatt, or Platinum in Accor + Hilton diamond (maybe need to add few more k more for these 2 combined)
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
i'm sure they do....my father-in-law is one of them....over the last few years he has been spending 30-40 nights at spg/marriott properties & his average spend is well over $2k per night....
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:05 am

i agree that many guests paying for premium accommodations are not worried about free breakfast . However , it’s the other benefits of top tier that hold value for travelers .
1. Access to the top tier of customer service support with an Ambassador
2. 48 hour reservation guarantee
3. Your 24
4. 4 pm late checkout
these benefits can hold great value for the corporate traveler and leisure traveler alike
it’s not necessarily the points , breakfast, or upgrades that matter to a certain traveler profile
agreed ....
Ambassador service when it execute properly is great ...
Late check out also is a nice feature that very convenient to have.

Room upgrade .... another nice perks to have but not really important especially if client already book higher level suite
And with breakfast, usually suite level accomodation include club/lounge access that provide breakfast anyway

Points ... honestly I treat them as side benefit
Most likely i use mine for airline miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.