Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I’m actually most curious to what LC properties you refer as being not much different in treatment/service from TownePlace. Can you mention those specific LC properties?
None of us appreciate the "we aren't as sophisticated as you" implications. Obviously, I understand the difference between the hard/soft product at a TownPlace Suites vs an LC. An LC property has 24 hour room service and a concierge as a brand standard. The TownPlace Suites or Fairfield Inn has a 24 hour guy/gal at the desk and a hutch with some food. Personally, I don't like pretentious hotels like StR or RC. On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of the TP/CY/FI either.

This, however, is a thread about ambassador experiences -- not the level of property -- and perhaps something to do with elite recognition as a PPE generally. I've stayed at three LC properties since 8/1 -- the Grande Bretagne in Athens, the US Grant in SD, and the Park in Buenos Aires. None recognized me as anything other than a Plat. The US Grant upgraded me to a well-furnished 350 square foot suite with a room divider when I checked in. The Park upgraded me to a nicer floor even though I'm a repeat guest and the hotel was obviously empty. The Grande Bretagne kept me in the lowest tier room even though the hotel was full of cruise passengers and didn't want to give me a 4 PM. The Grande Bretagne was the only one I had my ambassador contact and they specifically noted that when I checked. They were busy ... its August in Greece so I sort of understand but ... in a hotel full of cruise passengers I'm surprised there wasn't something better than the lowest tier room.

In contrast, I've stayed at an FI, a TP, and a CY since mid-October (among several other places). The FI and CY upgraded me to suites before I arrived. All three greeted me as a PPE. The FI and CY gave me little baskets and a card. The TP FD apologized on not upgrading me without any discussion of an upgrade because they were completely sold out (every other place in town was sold out which was how I ended up there.)

Except for the Grande Bretagne, my ambassador had no involvement. And obviously, the LC had better hard product and a better breakfast but from any objective standard, the FI, TP, and CY had better soft product and recognition. Additionally, the LC's either grudgingly complied with program benefits or didn't. The FI and CY exceeded program benefits and all three seemed to embrace the program.

Which doesn't mean you don't have a great ambassador who helps when you call him/her. That's a good thing.

Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands
)

I would be surprised if anyone is bothered with you staying mostly in luxurious hotels. That would be ridiculous. I believe it's your inability to understand that even those spending the same or more than you are unimpressed with this service. Your posts also seem to indicate that those not spending as much as you are not worthy of this benefit. Now I can see how that would bother someone. You seem to have a great Ambassador who goes the extra distance for you but the majority of us have average Ambassadors who don't make this benefit worth striving for.
I'll note that every explanation on poor ambassador service goes back to a statement that its because they aren't staying in nice places or it must be Marriott. The SPG thread was full of complaints about the SPG program that had nothing to do with MR or the level of places.

Originally Posted by damon88
So this doesn’t technically belong in the Ambassador thread but when I read reports of so many who bemoan the lack of Elite recognition I am very confused.

I am not surprised by the stellar recognition I receive as a long term LTPPE with Ambassador Status. For many years SPG and now Marriott has treated me very well. But just this morning I had a discussion with my son (a newly minted PPE) about his recent experiences at Marriott properties.

Our son travels quite a bit for work and just this week had stays at the Seattle Airport Marriott and the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. At both hotels the FDC warmly welcomed him as a Platinum Premier and surprised him with upgrades to multi room suites.
Many MR hotels had an excellent tradition of recognizing Plat Premiers. I once stayed at the SeaTac Marriott with an ex-GF who was a former Four Seasons exec, I had a great upgrade, a personal note from the GM, room service showed up with wine, -- she said -- I thought only the Four Seasons did this. And ... this wasn't with an ambassadors involvement. It's just a function of an engaged GM.

And congratulations for your son!!!!

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Bragging or not, highlighting fantastic stay after fantastic stay--along with glowing reviews of how your Ambassador set it up--kind of proves the point, no? I had an Ambassador for ~3 years give or take, and I had to practically beg for requests to be made and overemphasize that it was for a birthday/anniversary/whatever. It was such an effort that I didn't even bother otherwise. And that says nothing for the musical chairs of having a new one assigned as they seemed to turn over so often. Maybe you're just leaving those parts out here?

Anyway, as I've said before: there was a huge gap between how SPG advertised the Ambassador program and how it was actually executed for the vast majority of those who got the service.
Personally, I vote for BHR's ambassador to set the standard Personally, I'm not having the communication problems others have described with their ambassadors in Wichita, Boston, and Austin but certainly not getting the same treatment as BHR. Then again, I'm circulating from city to city without calling my ambassador.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They request Your24 for you.
That what I thought too. But my ambassador insists that he can't request Your24, that I should do it online. Where?!

Last edited by justforfun; Nov 8, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by justforfun
That what I thought too. But my ambassador insights that he can't request Your24, that I should do it online. Where?!
That’s how it used to work, but Marriott abolished that. The Ambassadors don’t seem to have been very well briefed, so you might need to explain it to them.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

That’s how it used to work, but Marriott abolished that. The Ambassadors don’t seem to have been very well briefed, so you might need to explain it to them.
Yup. This pretty much summarizes my ambassador experience. Having to explain basic things to him. And that's why I rarely, if ever, use him.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:53 am

Anyone have an ambassador named Peter? Is he good?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by evanston45
Anyone have an ambassador named Peter? Is he good?
Peter F? If so, he's legacy Marriott. Excellent.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Nov 10, 2018 at 10:22 pm
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:33 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I caution everyone to be very careful if and when publicly sharing Ambassador names—even when complimenting or trying to reward them. You unwittingly might lead others to try to get those same Ambassadors reassigned as their own, putting unanticipated pressure on your own Ambassador and other good Ambassadors.

In fact, I encourage everyone to avoid disclosing Ambassdor names at all. Do so only privately if at all.

There’s a reason no one has ever heard me publicly identify my amazing Ambasssdor.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:46 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I totally agree Bill.

Your comment actually reminded me of a Flyertalk thread from 12 years ago- back when “personal SPG concierges” were a thing. This was obviously pre Ambassador but it worked much the same way. I had an amazing rep who went out of his way to make our stays special. He worked with a small group of Platinums as a personal rep (maybe 30?) while today’s overworked Ambassadors have many 100s. We posted their names back then but without extensions or email addresses it didn’t mean much since you couldn’t request someone by name. I can totally see the Ambassador line getting flooded with requests for the top Ambassadors.

The BEST SPG Platinum Concierge
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:04 pm

I just crossed the $20,000 mark this week, and my profile on the website shows I am now Ambassador level till Jan 2020. Do they send any specific emails out, or assign an ambassador once crossing the threshold?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:08 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Commie
I just crossed the $20,000 mark this week, and my profile on the website shows I am now Ambassador level till Jan 2020. Do they send any specific emails out, or assign an ambassador once crossing the threshold?

Not sure how it works post 8/18 but earlier this year I got this email:

WE'RE THRILLED TO WELCOME YOU TO AN EXCLUSIVE BENEFIT: SPG AMBASSADOR SERVICE.

You take travel to a whole new level. Reaching 100 eligible nights in a calendar year is a momentous occasion — one that deserves a fitting reward: the SPG® ambassador service. It's the most individualized benefit available through the SPG program, and it can be what you want it to be. You'll have 24/7 access to the ambassador team, including a personal SPG ambassador — your primary point of contact no matter where you are in the world.

Just tell us what you need — from preferences to restaurant reservations and car transfers — we'll work to make it happen.

Start using the SPG ambassador service immediately by contacting our global support team at [email protected] or visit spg.com/ambassador. Over the next week, your personal SPG ambassador will be assigned and will reach out to you directly. We're always here to help you, around the clock and around the world.

This is, of course, in addition to all the Platinum-level benefits and SPG Nights Benefits you've already earned, including: • Upgrades to enhanced rooms at check-in1• Platinum welcome gift• Complimentary in-room Internet access• Flexible check-in times with Your24™• 4 Starpoints® per eligible U.S. dollar spent, plus 2 Starpoints for every US$3 of eligible group spend on meetings and events — up to 40,000 Starpoints per event.
Enjoy the unprecedented level of service that comes with the SPG 100 Nights Benefit — you've earned it through February 29, 2020. It's been our privilege to serve you during your many nights with
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Email should be received from your Ambassador introducing themselves. Took about a week from time website showed status change to receiving my email. May vary but time seems to have improved post the 8/18 wave flooding the Ambassador Service team.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Segments

Email should be received from your Ambassador introducing themselves. Took about a week from time website showed status change to receiving my email. May vary but time seems to have improved post the 8/18 wave flooding the Ambassador Service team.
I wouldn't count on getting the email. I only received one after calling, 2 1/2 months after August 18. My colleague, who unlike me never complains about anything, still hasn't been contacted.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Mine too ages as well so dont hold your breath and when it eventually does come expect very little!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I waited about seven weeks for an email from my Ambassador after qualifying based on 100 nights and $20,000 spend.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:48 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Did anyone receive the generic “Welcome Email” post 8/18?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.