Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:09 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Marriott should have put a clear upgrade priority in its terms and conditions: (1) platinum premier ambassador, (2) platinum premier, and (3) platinum. The tiebreakers could be whether you have the credit card or the time of reservation.

They should have also had unique elite status names: ambassador, premier and platinum.

Until Marriott does this there will be no consistent application and upgrading across the vast combined Marriott–SPG portfolio of hotels.

No idea how Marriott has done (or will do this) but it’s always been more complicated at SPG —- they had a proprietary algorithm that took into consideration multiple factors- speculated to include- years Elite, Years Platinum, lifetime spend, lifetime nights-lifetime points- in addition to current and Year to Date Status - Etc. It may be apocryphal but at one point it was suggested to include 21 factors. Based on this algorithm each hotel received a daily list with suggested upgrade order which the hotels were encouraged to (but not required to) use.

Flueck is in charge of Loyalty so there is a chance that Marriott will adopt something similar. While never perfect SPG always did a pretty good job of recognizing status IMHO.

I definitely saw my upgrade rate and quality improve as I worked up from Gold to Plat 25 to Plat 50 to Plat 75 to Plat 100 and increased my Lifetime stats.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by damon88
Flueck is in charge of Loyalty so there is a chance that Marriott will adopt something similar. While never perfect SPG always did a pretty good job of recognizing status IMHO.
The issue is legacy Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Rewards and legacy SPG were fundamentally different programs.

One was literally about rewards -- points for "free" stays. The other was about recognition with some customers "preferred" over other customers.

We really won't know the true direction the new, unified program is going until January, when the new name is revealed. However, up until now, it has been a case study on how not to combine loyalty programs for other airline and hotel companies.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by lewin85
Is this the case for Marriott properties as well? Are Platinum Premier + Ambassador just seen as Platinum Premier in their system?
Stayed at Residence Inn Anaheim on early September, there was a list of elites who supposedly checking in on the reception desk.
The list goes up to Plt P only for the 3 days I was there.
Either there are no plt p a staying for those days or the hotel only “see” up to plt p.
I was plt p at that time.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:06 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Marriott should have put a clear upgrade priority in its terms and conditions: (1) platinum premier ambassador, (2) platinum premier, and (3) platinum. The tiebreakers could be whether you have the credit card or the time of reservation.

Until Marriott does this there will be no consistent application and upgrading across the vast combined Marriott–SPG portfolio of hotels.
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I've been told that legacy SPG properties don't know if you have an ambassador unless the ambassador contacts the property.

One poster has suggested that legacy SPG properties get a recommended list of upgrades and, if so, I presume those with an ambassador would be at the top.
Originally Posted by lewin85
Is this the case for Marriott properties as well? Are Platinum Premier + Ambassador just seen as Platinum Premier in their system?

Seems a bit dumb to have created a status that the property cannot see in the system.
Originally Posted by damon88
No idea how Marriott has done (or will do this) but it’s always been more complicated at SPG —- they had a proprietary algorithm that took into consideration multiple factors- speculated to include- years Elite, Years Platinum, lifetime spend, lifetime nights-lifetime points- in addition to current and Year to Date Status - Etc. It may be apocryphal but at one point it was suggested to include 21 factors.
Marriott likely never will officially tell us what the upgrade priority will be since that precludes Marriott's ability to tweak it and not be liable whenever one of us gets peeved for some perceived slight!

Of course, the simplest answer is almost always the correct answer. Not surprisingly, our friend @frenchft already has heard information about upgrade priority that I now have also heard from GMs at StR, RC, Luxury Collection, and W properties:

Originally Posted by frenchft
Confirmed yesterday to me by a GM and zone Area :
Even more than before because they will have access to the details : 50/75/ambassador (before they had at check in only : platinum without details), they will re-inforce the order of priorities.
Sounds quite normal and logical.

Sounds that the new software will bring them more informations about the status without having to click here and there.

So as they told me the order will be, at least in those properties :
- Ambassador returning guest
- Ambassador
- Returning guest (with plat status)

the feeling I had during the talk is that they will really focus more on ambassador guests than before.
Bolding mine. Makes a lot of sense to me, and that's pretty much reinforced by what i've heard from other GMs and senior managers in the know.

(1) Plat Premier Ambassador returning guest
(2) Plat Premier Ambassador
(3) Plat returning guest
(4) Plat Premier 75
(5) Plat 50

Sounds so reasonable and obvious, doesn't it?

I'm sure @C17PSGR will want to elucidate how exactly anyone might know that one is Ambassador status, because the how seems most important to @C17PSGR. Go right ahead. I don't much care how the hotel knows my Ambassador status, only that the hotels does know my Ambassador status. Whether the hotel recognizes my status because of some code at the front desk or because of an automated list every day or because of a call or email my Ambassador makes to the hotel, I could care less.

For those of us coming from SPG, anything that Marriott does that better recognizes you as Plat Premier or Plat Premier with Ambassador is an improvement. So there shouldn't be any complaints.

For those of us coming from Marriott or RC, anything that Marriott does that better recognizes you as Plat Premier or Plat Premier with Ambassador is an improvement, as well. So there also shouldn't be any complaints.

In short. the new Marriott program sounds like it will provide better recognition of status than either of its Marriott Rewards or SPG predecessors. The IT may not yet be in place to affect that change, but it's coming. I've heard November for the SPG properties. I don't know when the Marriott properties will see the changes. But we already know they're coming.

Ironically, everyone at all of the brands--even at RC and Marriott--all colloquially referred to PlatPremier with Ambassador as "Ambassador status" anyway. Even the above post by @frenchft reinforces this. So those worrying about the clumsiness of the name don't need to bother. I'm sure Marriott wanted to stay consistent with Platinums (which includes everyone with more than 50 nights now) and just as consistent with Platinum Premiers (which includes everyone with more than 75 nights now). Referring to Ambassador guests officially as Platinum Premier with Ambassador is just mimicking the clumsy marketing approach that SPG did, as well.
damon88, EuropeanPete and txpenny like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 18, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Good info and summary, thanks! For those of us Ambassador elites now recognised as non members/ Gold Elites in the new world, this remains somewhat an academic interest though!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Granted loyalty status should provide some priority, but I'm of the mind that ANY returning guest, especially frequently, will bump anyone regardless of status. Repeat customers are much more valuable than a first time status customer. Remember, it's who you know not what you know.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:03 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Granted loyalty status should provide some priority, but I'm of the mind that ANY returning guest, especially frequently, will bump anyone regardless of status. Repeat customers are much more valuable than a first time status customer. Remember, it's who you know not what you know.
I'm sure that a very frequent (higher revenue or VIP) guest with no status otherwise probably still would be treated much like an Ambassador guest or Ambassador returning guest.

We must always remember the context with which these points are raised. I'm sure that when @frenchft asked, it was with an eye towards people with status. I did the same when I asked. So the answers we get are provided in that context. It doesn't mean that there can't be slight adjustments for special circumstances or for other conditions about which we didn't think to ask.

So when the Obamas visit the St Regis San Francisco, even with no Marriott status, I'm sure they'll be upgraded even more than I usually am!

That being said, when most returning guests with no status visit the St Regis San Francisco, and I'm there at the same time as a returning Ambassador guest, I usually would expect I am given even better upgrade priority--and I always have been.

Please also consider that most times, as an Ambassador guest, I usually am upgraded to the nicest room category and usually a suite (for those hotels that have them in any decent quantity) WELL BEFORE MY ARRIVAL. This is something that almost all legacy SPG hotels in the luxury and upscale categories did for me as a routine matter of course. (Note that the Sheraton New York Times Square did not, however!)

As an example, I already am upgraded from an entry level room to the specialty SLS Suite at the SLS Beverly Hills next month. I was upgraded weeks in advance to a specialty Metropolitan Suite at the StR San Francisco a few weeks ago.

Whether the legacy Marriott brands will do the same remains to be seen. Most legacy Marriott brands do not have as many suites as many of their legacy SPG counterparts, so the apples to oranges issue is sure to arise. I did get pre-upgraded before the Aug 18 merge in May at the RC Kyoto to a specialty suite, allegedly because I was Ambassador status and also as a service recovery for poor concierge service before my stay. I have upcoming stays at the RC San Francisco, RC Dallas, JW Austin, and RC Coconut Grove to see how they might handle me.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 18, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by bhrubin
So when the Obamas visit the St Regis San Francisco, even with no Marriott status, I'm sure they'll be upgraded even more than I usually am!
I can think of a resort in Florida where just about anybody would have a higher upgrade chance than the Obamas. (joking for those that think this was political).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:17 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by txpenny
I can think of a resort in Florida where just about anybody would have a higher upgrade chance than the Obamas. (joking for those that think this was political).
Or the Trump Turnberry, actually. Fortunately, I don't think we have to worry about either scenario arising too often!
txpenny likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Or the Trump Turnberry, actually. Fortunately, I don't think we have to worry about either scenario arising too often!
I do think their might be something valid about the 5 point order-of-upgrade matrix being suggested in this thread. My hotel of choice has very few suites and I've been upgraded on 15 of my last 21 nights (4 stays in total).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:04 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

I don’t know Bhrubin. When President Obama visited the Element in Vegas they gave him the same (very basic no frills) room they gave me 😛

bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've had what staff call the Obama Suite at a Sheraton. It's a one bedroom senior suite on the club floor.
smgainey likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've had what staff call the Obama Suite at a Sheraton. It's a one bedroom senior suite on the club floor.
Probably because he visited during a campaign year. There are so many Plain Jane hotels in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina that get all sorts of political VIPs, including presidents, every four or eight years. Some of these politicians basically live at these hotels while they're running for presidents.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This was a visit when he was already in the White House. I can easily imagine that this Sheraton was not only convenient for his travel plans but also considered to be a place that was very good for security. Of course the hotel wasn't announced in advance, but I remember the visit and hearing about "Obama slept here" soon afterward.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:15 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

When we checked into the Element they told us we had been upgraded to the Presidential Suite. We had never stayed at an Element before (I was completing the 11 brand challenge) and we expected an actual suite. We were super surprised to get a small (albeit comfortable) standard room. Turned out that it was only the “Presidential Suite” because Obama had stayed there.😊
smgainey and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.