Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think it's a pretty smart move by Marriott--inviting in its previously highest published elite category customers into its new highest published elite category, giving them a taste. A certain proportion of those will continue staying with Marriott in order to try and qualify for the new status through 2020. Either way, it's a soft landing for those previous good customers in the old Marriott universe.
From Marriott standpoint... let's hope it does not affect the existing guest with ambassador and that they will deliver a good service... because if they manage this the same way they manage their merger... good luck for people seeing any benefits and incentive to stay and spend more with MR
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
I think it's a pretty smart move by Marriott--inviting in its previously highest published elite category customers into its new highest published elite category, giving them a taste. A certain proportion of those will continue staying with Marriott in order to try and qualify for the new status through 2020. Either way, it's a soft landing for those previous good customers in the old Marriott universe.
My initial upgrade to PPE + A went away. Although I had over 100 MR nights and several SPG nights, I had mostly award stays and didn't have the spending this year. I would have appreciated having an opportunity to decide if the additional effort and/or spending was worth pursuing, but I am not at all upset that I didn't receive something that I wasn't entitled to.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:14 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by frenchft
From Marriott standpoint... let's hope it does not affect the existing guest with ambassador and that they will deliver a good service... because if they manage this the same way they manage their merger... good luck for people seeing any benefits and incentive to stay and spend more with MR
There's no question that previous SPG Plat100 Ambassador elites are going to have the better end of the deal for the end of this current year. We already have our assigned Ambassadors, and many of us already have established relationships with the Ambassador team and with the hotels we already frequent.

Of course, I think it was very smart of Marriott to start this loyalty merger in mid-year 2018 rather than in Jan 2019. This earlier merger basically allows them to work the kinks out mid-stream, rather than at the start of a new year when everyone is dying to get everything. Not as many customers are dying to get everything now. This allows Marriott to give extra perks to some (Ambassadors to Plat Premiers), introduce new systems for upgrades/SNAs, etc, to test things out and perhaps placate more customers. This also allows them minimize the award arbitrage issue a bit, since starting in the new year would have been much worse IMO.
frenchft likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
There's no question that previous SPG Plat100 Ambassador elites are going to have the better end of the deal for the end of this current year. We already have our assigned Ambassadors, and many of us already have established relationships with the Ambassador team and with the hotels we already frequent.

Of course, I think it was very smart of Marriott to start this loyalty merger in mid-year 2018 rather than in Jan 2019. This earlier merger basically allows them to work the kinks out mid-stream, rather than at the start of a new year when everyone is dying to get everything. Not as many customers are dying to get everything now. This allows Marriott to give extra perks to some (Ambassadors to Plat Premiers), introduce new systems for upgrades/SNAs, etc, to test things out and perhaps placate more customers. This also allows them minimize the award arbitrage issue a bit, since starting in the new year would have been much worse IMO.
but if you want my opinion, regarding the number of properties, I would even have make the ambassador status at 150 nights + 30 or 40k but deliver something unique.
100 nights and 20k is too easy to reach anyway with such a huge number of hotels, everywhere you go there is a Marriot / SPG property.

I really don't like the dilution of benefits (same with the gold MR to platinum), same with the CC who give gold status, etc. Dilution is the worst thing ever, it's a loose loose thing.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:20 pm

I'm not sure to agree. More guest per ambassador = less time for each guest = less service = less reactivity. And I doubt Marriott will hire new ambassadors it's a pure loose for everyone (including marriott)
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
Was wondering if someone can help on how to get the Ambassador level, specifically:

- Would 100+ nights and over $20K spend in 2017 with MR give an Ambassador for the rest of 2018, now that it has been introduced for MR? Or do I need to qualify in 2018?
- For qualifying spend: most of my nights are on Ritz-Carlton, which used to consider only room rate as qualifying spend for points. After the merge: should all legacy spend pre Aug-18 (eg. restaurant bills, in-room dining. etc) count towards $20K?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by josep
Was wondering if someone can help on how to get the Ambassador level, specifically:

- Would 100+ nights and over $20K spend in 2017 with MR give an Ambassador for the rest of 2018, now that it has been introduced for MR? Or do I need to qualify in 2018?
- For qualifying spend: most of my nights are on Ritz-Carlton, which used to consider only room rate as qualifying spend for points. After the merge: should all legacy spend pre Aug-18 (eg. restaurant bills, in-room dining. etc) count towards $20K?
No.. You'll have to reach the 100/20k for 2018 to qualify for an ambassador. Good question on the legacy spend. I don't like RC's and generally avoid them but I would think it should count toward the spend under the new program. Probably a good idea to check, however, since they may not have incorporated it. I can see my spend but haven't confirmed the numbers since I'll be over anywhere.

I don't think the "taste" concept was intended. There seems to be a lot of reports of errors and more recent reports where people are having their status corrected.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:23 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
No, 2017 has no bearing. You need to qualify in 2018 to qualify for Ambassador status.

This hasn’t been completely resolved by Marriott.

Most seem to assume that pre-merger qualified spending would be whatever qualified under the old T&C (i.e. only RC room revenue, no RC incidentals). My Marriott pre-merger revenue for 2018 is also only with RC, and it only included room rates.

The new T&C includes RC room revenue and food/beverage and other incidentals--though the specifics haven't been spelled out quite yet.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 22, 2018 at 6:49 pm
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist

No, 2017 is over and the program didn’t exist then. You have to qualify in 2018 or 2019.

I think it’s just the spend that earns points. In 2019 the incidentals will begin to earn points though.

Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by frenchft
but if you want my opinion, regarding the number of properties, I would even have make the ambassador status at 150 nights + 30 or 40k but deliver something unique.
100 nights and 20k is too easy to reach anyway with such a huge number of hotels, everywhere you go there is a Marriot / SPG property.

I really don't like the dilution of benefits (same with the gold MR to platinum), same with the CC who give gold status, etc. Dilution is the worst thing ever, it's a loose loose thing.
I believe if Marriott set the requirements too high, it will no longer attractive to people. Its better to create an unpublished "secret" level for those high nighters and high spenders altogether.

Invitation only Platinum Premier with Personal Concierge .... plt p pc

And also the gap between 75 nights plt p to 150 nights is a bit too high ... again will reduce the incentives for people who stay in between
MR better create 100 and 125 nights benefit to fill the gap

If a person stays at 95 nights/ year,and already spent above 20k .... the possibility of getting plt p a by adding 5 more nights will be very attractive and I wont be surprised if the person manage to squeeze some extra holiday ...
staycation over couple of weekends ... to reach plt p a
And yet if plt p a is at 150 nights, higher chance are he will stop at 75 and move the extra 20 nights to other chains to experience different hotel (vacationing to Amans or Four seasons)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by getagb
No, 2017 is over and the program didn’t exist then. You have to qualify in 2018 or 2019.
Which makes no sense - I'm PPE based on the 2017 room nights (140+ nights), so why shouldn't I be PPE+A based on the 2017 room nights & spend (140+ nights & c.30k USD spend)? If the first is true, why shouldn't the second?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Which makes no sense - I'm PPE based on the 2017 room nights (140+ nights), so why shouldn't I be PPE+A based on the 2017 room nights & spend (140+ nights & c.30k USD spend)? If the first is true, why shouldn't the second?
Were you PPE before August 18th?

Before August 18th, someone who had a 140 nights in 2017 would be just Platinum unless they had been selected for the unpublished PPE ( which generally required multiple years of 100 + nights)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Because in the 2017 qualifying year Marriott did not have a formal Ambassador program like they do now

I am PPE+A for this year because I earned it in 2017 with Starwood
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Oh well. Fancy status was revoked today. With only $4k to go and I have reservations for 9 out of the next 12 weeks. It won’t be an issue.

I will be back in this thread before you know it.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Because in the 2017 qualifying year Marriott did not have a formal Ambassador program like they do now

I am PPE+A for this year because I earned it in 2017 with Starwood
Not exactly, Marriott had a formal Ambassador program for 2017. However, the requirements were unpublished and it was by invitation

That being said, there are folks who are PPE+A (or should be) who (a) qualified for it under the published SPG rules in 2017, (b) have met the qualifications already under the published rules in 2018 under either the SPG 100 night or the Marriott 100 night/20k, of (c) those who were selected under the Marriott unpublished program. There is no option for I would have qualified in 2017 if the current rules had been in place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.