Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Smile

Originally Posted by justforfun
They can overpromise and underdeliver.
Where do I sign-up?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Where do I sign-up?
they will send you a survey and assign an ambassador in the following days.
Overall process takes like 5 / 10 days as I remember.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by smgainey
It sounds like Ambassadors have done the "fighting" for people to get missing points, etc. If my Ambassador will do my fighting for me then I'll be happy. Especially now that we have Marriott's new Terms & Conditions stating that if a standard room is available for cash then we can use points for it. I've spent way too much time trying to get award stays at another hotel chain that had this same policy because the hotels didn't want to offer the standard room for points, so it'll be good to have someone handle that for me at the Marriott.
I had a variety of Ambassadors over the years. They were helpful when it came to stays where nights/points went missing. They'd get them credited on my behalf. My very first Ambassador was quite helpful. She was proactive and would contact me if she saw better rates than I booked. Sadly, they closed her call center and after that all future Ambassadors proved worthless. So much so, I stopped bothering shooting for 100 nights and just stopped at 75 (SPGs next level down). Others have had helpful Ambassadors over the years. There is a super long thread on this topic on FT. Point is, you will find great disagreement about the Ambassador service. Some Ambassadors seem good - others are worthless. Since they're people - this makes sense. For me, it doesn't matter anymore as I won't attain the $20k level. No real loss imo. But to those who will get one - good luck!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:10 am

Ambassador Help Line

It looks like my Ambassador Help Line number has disappeared from the website and app. Does anyone know where to find this information? It sounds like the regular phone number has a long wait.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
usually my ambassador always has her number in her email signature, you should check emails from her.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by frenchft
usually my ambassador always has her number in her email signature, you should check emails from her.
Yep. Also depending how long one has had their ambassador, they also snail mail their business card and other gifts (well, that's what I got from mine).

As a last resort, you could always contact the regular plat (now PE/PPE?) line and ask them for your ambassador's number.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yep. Also depending how long one has had their ambassador, they also snail mail their business card and other gifts (well, that's what I got from mine).

As a last resort, you could always contact the regular plat (now PE/PPE?) line and ask them for your ambassador's number.
you are lucky to get gift from your ambassador...
Me except a birthday cake (nice one) at St regis = nothing.
And property Guest Service confirms me that the gift was from the property and not from ambassador )))

I guess I don't spend enough
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 5MM, Lifetime Marriott Titanium Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I am a current SPG Platinum 100 Ambassador guest and thought it might be helpful for Marriott Platinums and others curious about this experience to learn more. There are numerous threads on this topic in the Starwood Forum, and I imagine those eventually will be folded into this thread when the Marriott, Starwood, and presumably Ritz-Carlton Forums are merged here on FlyerTalk.

For the record, I absolutely love the Ambassador program. I love my Ambassador. I have had tremendously positive experiences with my Ambassador and with many other members of the Ambassador team when my Ambassador is not available. I also have had a few less impressive experiences with an Ambassador, but those few do not tarnish in any way my esteem and delight with the program overall. For 2018, I currently have 106 nights with SPG, have 58 nights with Marriott (including 3 nights with Ritz-Carlton), and I would estimate my spending at SPG/Marriott/RC this year so far to be $100,000 based on the total charges I have spent on my SPG Amex Business card at SPG/Marriott/RC hotels. I not only stay at SPG/Marriott/RC hotels for my personal stays (usually at StR, RC, LuxColl, W) but for my own business group stays (most often Sheraton, Renaissance, Westin, Le Meridien, Four Points, and Courtyard). I don't just stay often at SPG hotels, but I also love to order room service and dine in the very nice restaurants when they have them. My spending reflects that.

There are many SPG Plat100s who believe the Ambassador experience is overrated and/or largely worthless. The Starwood Forum is replete with those examples. I could not disagree more with their assessment.

For years, I have indicated my belief that my better Ambassador treatment was due to (1) my very high spending at SPG hotels and (2) the fact that I stay more often for leisure stays at luxury level SPG hotels. In the SPG Forum, those beliefs most often were attacked and considered baseless. I believe the new $20,000 spend minimum to attain Ambassador status is evidence that I most likely was accurate in those assessments.

In my experience, Ambassador service is best executed at better hotels. Ambassador SERVICE is an individualized SERVICE. The hotels that execute personal and individualized service better are the ones that also tend to execute Ambassador service the best. An Ambassador might indicate to a hotel that I like chocolates and strawberries as a welcome amenity and that I require my room to be preset to 67 F, but the hotels must execute those requests. Not surprisingly, luxury hotels offering better service most often execute those requests better than upscale hotels, and upscale hotels most often execute those requests better than midscale hotels. If you stay most often at Marriott and Sheraton and Four Points level hotels, not only will one likely have a tougher time reaching the $20K minimum, those hotels also don't execute special requests as well as hotels with better records for individualized service. I expect more from a St Regis than I do a W, and I expect more from a W than I do a Sheraton. I have concomitant expectations for the Ambassador service execution at those hotels, too.

In my experience, Ambassador service with suite upgrades is almost always better at luxury level hotels because they just have more suites! There are exceptions, as with everything. But just about any time I stay at a St Regis, Luxury Collection, or W hotel, I am upgraded to a suite (almost always without any SNAs). In some cases, I am even pre-upgraded to a suite a week or two or even earlier before my arrival. I just returned from a weekend stay at the St Regis Atlanta, where I was pre-upgraded almost 3 weeks before arrival to a St Regis Suite. In mid April, I was at the W Boston where I had been pre-upgraded a month in advance to a Wow Suite. Both bookings were for paid entry level rooms.

My Ambassador can't always get me pre-upgraded, but she or my status get me upgraded to a suite an awful lot. My most recent luxury hotel stays have included suite upgrades at the StR Atlanta (paid entry room), W Boston (paid entry room), StR New York (paid entry room), StR Punta Mita (discounted paid upgrade to villa!)...and those are all in 2018. In 2017, I enjoyed suite upgrades at the StR San Francisco three times (paid and award entry rooms) in Nov and Dec, The Gwen Chicago (paid entry room) in Dec, W Westwood three times (paid entry rooms) in Nov and Dec, Prince de Galles Paris (award entry room) in Oct, Hotel Imperial Vienna (award entry room) in Oct, the Nines Portland (paid suite) in Aug, SLS Beverly Hills (award entry room) in June, Westin Richmond (paid group room) in Apr, Westin Charlotte (paid group room) in Apr, Sheraton Phila Univ City five times (paid group rooms) in Mar and Apr, Le Meridien Arlington five times (paid group rooms) in Mar and Apr, Le Meridien Cambridge (paid group rooms) and Mar and Apr, the StR Washington (paid entry room) in Apr, the StR Bahia Beach Puerto Rico (paid entry room) in Feb, etc. Some of those suite upgrades were to specialty suites that aren't normally provided in upgrade pools.

In my experience, Ambassadors can do a lot to help. But they aren't miracle workers--even when sometimes they can be! I had a prepaid stay at the St Regis Bora Bora in May 2016 for 7 nights, but our Air Tahiti Nui flight was canceled, causing us to arrive a day late and miss 1 of our 7 nights. My first call to the St Regis and the Ambassador team didn't get me any help...but my Ambassador persisted and managed to get me the missed 1 night's stay credited to my account as a food/beverage credit. THAT alone saved me $2,000. I didn't expect it, but her persistence and dedication went above and beyond for me and saved me a lot.

On the other hand, this past weekend at the StR Atlanta, I had to wait 90 min after arriving at 4:30 pm to get my pre-upgraded suite, despite a 3 pm check in time--and the Ambassador team rep (not my Ambassador, who was out for the weekend) was not particularly helpful at all.

I also know that I am treated often as a VIP when I stay at SPG hotels--especially at the luxury level hotels like StR, LuxColl, and W, but also at Le Meridien, Westin, and even sometimes at Sheraton and even Four Points! People tend to know me by name more often than I might otherwise expect, even at a StR or W. Even this past weekend at the StR Atlanta, my first stay there ever, by the second day people knew who I was throughout the hotel. That's impressive service by any measure, and that's directly related to my Ambassador service IMO.

In the Starwood Forum, I firmly believe that many people who complain about their Ambassador are staying at hotels that simply don't execute Ambassador requests--or any special requests, for that matter--particularly well. So they blame the Ambassador--rather than considering that the hotel may have been the culprit. I also believe that people too often complain about not getting upgraded when they stay at hotels that most often are at high occupancy, have few suites, or have so many elites and high paying guests that there just aren't many suites available. When people don't share the hotels where the issues arise, it's a good hint that it's not a great hotel!

I also know that not all Ambassadors are as good as others. There are many examples of Ambassadors who don't respond to requests or who seem to drop the ball too often. When this happens, you can contact the Ambassador team and request a new Ambassador. Please do! The only way the program can recognize bad Ambassadors is by members having the ability to share that information and the details.

I am hoping we all can share our Ambassador experiences here, both good and bad, so we can have a more balanced view on what the program can do for everyone. I think the details are important, so I encourage everyone to share the identity of the hotels in question so that we all have proper perspective.

Until our fellow Marriott members have the chance to enjoy an Ambassador starting on August 1, I and other Ambassador guests are happy to answer questions about the program.
Thanks for all the great information. Yesterday, after I merged my accounts I officially became eligible for Ambassador service. Can you tell me if there is a special number to get in touch with my Ambassador or will they contact me? I'm really looking forward to experiencing this new service.
Thanks,
Caltraveler
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:42 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by caltraveler
Thanks for all the great information. Yesterday, after I merged my accounts I officially became eligible for Ambassador service. Can you tell me if there is a special number to get in touch with my Ambassador or will they contact me? I'm really looking forward to experiencing this new service.
Thanks,
Caltraveler
Welcome to Ambassador service/status!

Previously, it took SPG on average 5-7 days to send out an email with survey in order to assign one an Ambassador.

I am uncertain how Marriott will handle this.

I would guess that it will take a bit longer, since they first need to settle the IT issues that allow them to properly determine who now receives an Ambassador. Marriott also seems to be inviting those who were pre-merger Plat Premiers, giving them Ambassador status through Jan 2019 in an attempt to encourage them to earn proper Ambassador status through Jan 2020. So it might take a bit longer than usual!
frenchft likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by caltraveler
Thanks,
Caltraveler
they will send first a congratulation email and after you receive a survey to know you better.
After few days you will receive an email with your ambasador details (they will assign based on your location but you can ask to change the center, as far as I know they are in the US, Ireland, Singapore and China). After this automatic email you will receive an email from your ambassador proposing you (or not - mine didn't) to spend little time on the phone to know you better. Mine asked me questions by email (and anyway I much prefer this way).
During the SPG times, whole process was like 5 to 10 days... now I can' stay

hope it helps.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:44 pm

Marriott also seems to be inviting those who were pre-merger Plat Premiers, giving them Ambassador status through Jan 2019 in an attempt to encourage them to earn proper Ambassador status through Jan 2020. So it might take a bit longer than usual!
This is something I really don't understand to be honest... ambassadors are less and less reactive (and pool too) and they Bring more people in the program...
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:46 pm

not to forget that when your ambassador is off hours or week end, etc your emails are treated by a pool of ambassador 24/24.
Usually they answer fast, in the last months.. so-so
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:53 pm

Welcome to Ambassador service/status!

Previously, it took SPG on average 5-7 days to send out an email with survey in order to assign one an Ambassador.

I am uncertain how Marriott will handle this.

I would guess that it will take a bit longer, since they first need to settle the IT issues that allow them to properly determine who now receives an Ambassador. Marriott also seems to be inviting those who were pre-merger Plat Premiers, giving them Ambassador status through Jan 2019 in an attempt to encourage them to earn proper Ambassador status through Jan 2020. So it might take a bit longer than usual!
Thanks alot
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:54 pm

they will send first a congratulation email and after you receive a survey to know you better.
After few days you will receive an email with your ambasador details (they will assign based on your location but you can ask to change the center, as far as I know they are in the US, Ireland, Singapore and China). After this automatic email you will receive an email from your ambassador proposing you (or not - mine didn't) to spend little time on the phone to know you better. Mine asked me questions by email (and anyway I much prefer this way).
During the SPG times, whole process was like 5 to 10 days... now I can' stay

hope it helps.
Thanks. I really arreciate the info.

Caltraveler
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:01 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
This is something I really don't understand to be honest... ambassadors are less and less reactive (and pool too) and they Bring more people in the program...
I think it's a pretty smart move by Marriott--inviting in its previously highest published elite category customers into its new highest published elite category, giving them a taste. A certain proportion of those will continue staying with Marriott in order to try and qualify for the new status through 2020. Either way, it's a soft landing for those previous good customers in the old Marriott universe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.