Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ĎAmbassador Eliteí Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

Marriott Bonvoy ĎAmbassador Eliteí Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 2, 20, 9:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: HHQX888
Wiki Link
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 17, 18, 1:49 pm
  #1306  
SPG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Jolla, CA
Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
Posts: 2,578
It has been a stressful week for me since my husband fractured 4 ribs while visiting our son in Orange County and has been hospitalized for the last 7 nights. My wonderful Ambassador was a rockstar- arranging for penalty free cancellations at the StR Princeville and helping me book a hotel where my husband can convalesce (we want to stay in OC but our sonís house has way too many stairs). She called several times to check on me and did her best to get the hotel to accommodate us on a sold out night. I needed something else today but knew my Ambassador is off on Saturdays and Sundays. I called her number and her voicemail instructed me to press zero. Another Ambassador answered on the first ring and spent about 15 minutes calling the hotel for me and arranging a 1:30 checkin.

I am very grateful for the Ambassador service right now.
helvetic, bhrubin and escape4 like this.

Last edited by damon88; Nov 17, 18 at 1:57 pm
damon88 is online now  
Old Nov 17, 18, 2:20 pm
  #1307  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
Marriott Residence Inn is my usual stay although that may vary depending on where I am travelling in the country. Specifically the incident I speak of was Residence Inn San Carlso CA. As for water at hotels, as said it is a rarity when offered. Just spent 5 nights last week in Townplace Suites Lawrence KS - no water. Courtyard Seattle Pioneer Place - no water.... Fairfield Downtown Tulsa no water, shall I go on....

These are just annoyances and lack of any appreciation for loyal customers. Bigger concerns are the lack of reply to complaints and calls, and no contact by ambassador...

Originally Posted by txpenny View Post
By specifics I mean what specific hotel. A hotel "in the bay area" doesn't tell us anything. If you were truly in a hotel for 4 weeks and given the boot when full, it would be helpful to the community to know which hotel would treat you with such disdain. I would also love to learn which Marriott hotels do not provided water to a platinum, let alone a platinum with ambassador. Your claim that you have not been offered water 96% of the time is does not seem believable to me. I have 217 BIB nights so far this year and I cannot remember a single night where water was not provided.

Regardless of your post count, naming hotels rather than taking vague shots goes a long way toward credibility.
Siweltj is offline  
Old Nov 17, 18, 2:43 pm
  #1308  
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,754
It sounds like the Marriott select service brands chosen aren’t fulfilling their obligation to provide complimentary bottles of water in their rooms. That’s certainly an issue fo take up with the hotels. But your Ambassador and the Ambassador service have nothing to do with that particular failure; that’s a failure by those hotels.

Hopefully, you complained to those hotels and were subsequently given bottles of water? If you didn’t mention it and have it resolved there, I can assure you there’s even less reason to mention it on FlyerTalk.

I’ve never stayed at a Courtyard without a bottle or two of water being provided. Ever. But I’ve never stayed in a Residence Inn or TownePlace.

As for communication with our Ambassadors and the general Ambassador service, it is now well documented herein and elsewhere that the many IT issues are creating problems with Ambassadors receiving emails and voicemails messages. You probably should call the General Ambassador number rather than waiting to speak to or emailing your own Ambassdor for the time being. But please know that Ambassadors cannnot make hotels execute better when the hotels don’t execute well on their own in the first place.
txpenny likes this.
bhrubin is offline  
Old Nov 17, 18, 8:02 pm
  #1309  
Marriott 25+ BadgeHyatt 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; Marriott AMB; Hyatt Glob; Accor Dia; GHA Black; SLH Ind
Posts: 3,119
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
But your Ambassador and the Ambassador service have nothing to do with that particular failure; thatís a failure by those hotels.


I could not have said it any better. There are currently some transition hiccups with the Starwood acquisition, but not getting water should not and cannot be blamed on Ambassadors.

bhrubin likes this.
escape4 is offline  
Old Nov 17, 18, 8:16 pm
  #1310  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
I don't blame the ambassador and my comment pertained to Marriott's lack of costumer service and failure to assign an ambassador for two months and respond to complaints. But you all want to make excuses, then do that. My experience with Marriott Platinmum customer care has been a total disappointment that reflects a lack of knowledge about their own benefits that they offer. Marriott is a brand and if you cannot deliver a consistent customer delivery throughout your organization, then that is a failure.

Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
I could not have said it any better. There are currently some transition hiccups with the Starwood acquisition, but not getting water should not and cannot be blamed on Ambassadors.
Siweltj is offline  
Old Nov 17, 18, 8:17 pm
  #1311  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SLC/HEL/Anywhere with a Beach
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
It sounds like the Marriott select service brands chosen arenít fulfilling their obligation to provide complimentary bottles of water in their rooms. Thatís certainly an issue fo take up with the hotels. But your Ambassador and the Ambassador service have nothing to do with that particular failure; thatís a failure by those hotels.

Hopefully, you complained to those hotels and were subsequently given bottles of water? If you didnít mention it and have it resolved there, I can assure you thereís even less reason to mention it on FlyerTalk.

Iíve never stayed at a Courtyard without a bottle or two of water being provided. Ever. But Iíve never stayed in a Residence Inn or TownePlace.
the poster isn't saying there wasn't water in the rooms. When you check in at a Hilton as a premium member, they give you a brown bag with two bottles of water. There are no Free bottles of water in the room. Of course, many people turn down the bottles of water because of concerns about plastic and the fact that water anywhere in the United States is safe to drink. Giving the bottles at check-in is a Hilton brand standard for Elites.

it is not, however, a Marriott brand standard and Starwood was moving toward eliminating bottled water because of environmental concerns. For the time being, there are bottles of water in the room usually free. Hyatt doesn't give water at the check-in desk either.

not sure I understand the 48-hour issue. I've never had a problem with it but sounds like the poster was trying to extend his stay at a fully booked Hotel and dealing with the front desk rather than reservations. Unless there was a one of the major trade shows going on, the poster could have gone online 48 hours early and made a reservation which would have bypassed any confusion at the front desk. I'm unclear if that's what happened or whether this stay was during a major trade show where he hotels might have received an exception. Unfortunately, front desk staff can be unfamiliar with program benefits while the website is set up to automatically provide 48 hour guarantees unless the hotel has an exception granted by corporate.
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Nov 17, 18, 8:29 pm
  #1312  
Hyatt 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; Marriott AMB; Hyatt Glob; Accor Dia; GHA Black; SLH Ind
Posts: 3,119
Originally Posted by Siweltj View Post
I don't blame the ambassador and my comment pertained to Marriott's lack of costumer service and failure to assign an ambassador for two months and respond to complaints. But you all want to make excuses, then do that. My experience with Marriott Platinmum customer care has been a total disappointment that reflects a lack of knowledge about their own benefits that they offer. Marriott is a brand and if you cannot deliver a consistent customer delivery throughout your organization, then that is a failure.
I can understand the disappointment, but if you think answers here are about making excuses, then in my humble opinion you are mistaken.

We all share information on FT and I am sorry to hear about your experience, and take note of it. My personal opinion is that there are short-term issues that Marriott needs to deal with but I am not willing to toss the entire hotel chain to the curb permanently if those are just be temporary problems for some lower end hotels such as Courtyards. That does not excuse the problems, but deciding now that these are permanent problems when they might not be, is a conclusion that might not serve you well.

I think in the end everybody will make their own individual decision and I am glad to have more information at my disposal than less information. That said, you are free to take advice here or ignore it.
bhrubin likes this.
escape4 is offline  
Old Nov 17, 18, 8:38 pm
  #1313  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
As stated earlier I did contact priemer service by phone and was told it was not a problem and all I had to do was inform the front desk of the need to extend my stay past my original checkout which way 3 days out and told if I had any problem to call them back. Which is what I did. Then told no at the front desk. Called priemer customer service back and that's where the different answers started and continued over three calls and two days. That is when I asked to have the previous calls reviewed because of the different answers I was getting and asked for a return call which never happened. Also filled a complaint on line which was never answered.

Not being assigned an ambassador and not getting water and the lack of customer service are all indications of a major disconnect with Marriott's customer care.


Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
the poster isn't saying there wasn't water in the rooms. When you check in at a Hilton as a premium member, they give you a brown bag with two bottles of water. There are no Free bottles of water in the room. Of course, many people turn down the bottles of water because of concerns about plastic and the fact that water anywhere in the United States is safe to drink. Giving the bottles at check-in is a Hilton brand standard for Elites.

it is not, however, a Marriott brand standard and Starwood was moving toward eliminating bottled water because of environmental concerns. For the time being, there are bottles of water in the room usually free. Hyatt doesn't give water at the check-in desk either.

not sure I understand the 48-hour issue. I've never had a problem with it but sounds like the poster was trying to extend his stay at a fully booked Hotel and dealing with the front desk rather than reservations. Unless there was a one of the major trade shows going on, the poster could have gone online 48 hours early and made a reservation which would have bypassed any confusion at the front desk. I'm unclear if that's what happened or whether this stay was during a major trade show where he hotels might have received an exception. Unfortunately, front desk staff can be unfamiliar with program benefits while the website is set up to automatically provide 48 hour guarantees unless the hotel has an exception granted by corporate.
Siweltj is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 7:12 am
  #1314  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Originally Posted by Siweltj View Post
As stated earlier I did contact priemer service by phone and was told it was not a problem and all I had to do was inform the front desk of the need to extend my stay past my original checkout which way 3 days out and told if I had any problem to call them back. Which is what I did. Then told no at the front desk. Called priemer customer service back and that's where the different answers started and continued over three calls and two days. That is when I asked to have the previous calls reviewed because of the different answers I was getting and asked for a return call which never happened. Also filled a complaint on line which was never answered.

Not being assigned an ambassador and not getting water and the lack of customer service are all indications of a major disconnect with Marriott's customer care.
To be clear, yes, there are many hiccups going on with MPG customer service both in hotels and customer support. So your observations are correct. All too often FTers (and just about any group) will take anecdotal events and use that as a universal truth. That's a problem with crowdsourcing information. But one exception does not a rule make. I often run into CSRs that will back the error made by a property and you have to push to get someone that has more experience or at least willing to look at the problem before spouting an answer. I've had room credit denied and when calling in was told I can't get credit for two hotels on the same night, which I already knew. What the CSR failed to notice, even after being told, was that the hotel posted the stay for the wrong dates. Then told I had to call the hotel to correct the error! One supervisor later and it was taken care of. My point is, don't expect miracle workers on support lines, but it sure is great when you find one.
bhrubin and rny321 like this.
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 9:46 am
  #1315  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SLC/HEL/Anywhere with a Beach
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by Siweltj View Post
As stated earlier I did contact priemer service by phone and was told it was not a problem and all I had to do was inform the front desk of the need to extend my stay past my original checkout which way 3 days out and told if I had any problem to call them back. Which is what I did. Then told no at the front desk. Called priemer customer service back and that's where the different answers started and continued over three calls and two days. That is when I asked to have the previous calls reviewed because of the different answers I was getting and asked for a return call which never happened. Also filled a complaint on line which was never answered.

Not being assigned an ambassador and not getting water and the lack of customer service are all indications of a major disconnect with Marriott's customer care.



First, a belated welcome to Flyertalk! We're pretty good providing advice on issues when they arise.

Sounds like English isn't your first language so perhaps that has led to confusion.

1. Water -- Marriott properties do not normally give water at check-in. Its very rare. Instead, water is normally in the room. For example, this week, I have been in an AC, a Marriott, a Renaissance, and a Luxury Collection. None have given me water at check-in. All have had bottles of water in the room. In contrast, Hilton gives them at check-in but doesn't have them in the room. There is no need for bottled water in the US. I suspect Hilton will change its approach soon.

2. 48 Hour Guarantee -- I've never had an issue with this and its unclear what happened. Perhaps a major conference in the area? In the future, I'd skip the desk or calling by phone. Just go to the app or website 48 hours out and you'll be able to reserve without a problem. This avoids any confusion although sometimes the prices are high when they are sold out.

I hope you get an ambassador soon. Sounds people are starting to get them assigned.
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 1:47 pm
  #1316  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dallas
Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 119
Points / spend posted yesterday on 11/17/18 to qualify me for Ambassador. App and website show me having the ambassador status, I'll update this post when I get the welcome email.

EDIT: Received invitation email 11/21.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by adunker; Nov 22, 18 at 7:25 am
adunker is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 1:50 pm
  #1317  
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,754
Originally Posted by adunker View Post
Points / spend posted yesterday on 11/17/18 to qualify me for Ambassador. App and website show me having the ambassador status, I'll update this post when I get the welcome email.
Congratulations and welcome to the party! We hope youíll have as positive an experience as so many of us haveóthough we advise you to be patient with Ambassador contact and assignment in this Marriott IT transition fiasco.
bhrubin is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 6:01 pm
  #1318  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunshine State
Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Posts: 447
Instead of creating another thread can someone help quantify worth? By EOY iíll be at least at 90 nights and $17k in combined program. Iím over 80 now. Is it worth trying to hit AMB? Iíd have to out of pocket at least $2k to hit 100 and $20k. Damn corporate rate screws me finally here. Iím probably 70SPG nights btw. I usually stay 4 or 5 star fwiw and when I donít Iím alone and canít imagine what an AMB could do for me at a CY or Aloft.
ucfjoe is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 6:05 pm
  #1319  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 20,108
Out of your own pocket? No way.

IMO the best part of an Ambassador (for most of us) is not having to deal with the faceless, apathetic, non-responsive Marriott CS...with SPG, good CS was a given and for me then Ambassador service was more about the little touches esp. on vacations.
UA-NYC is online now  
Old Nov 18, 18, 7:58 pm
  #1320  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold
Posts: 1,831
Originally Posted by ucfjoe View Post
Instead of creating another thread can someone help quantify worth? By EOY iíll be at least at 90 nights and $17k in combined program. Iím over 80 now. Is it worth trying to hit AMB? Iíd have to out of pocket at least $2k to hit 100 and $20k. Damn corporate rate screws me finally here. Iím probably 70SPG nights btw. I usually stay 4 or 5 star fwiw and when I donít Iím alone and canít imagine what an AMB could do for me at a CY or Aloft.
spend extra 2k just for amb is not really worth the money.

Does your business travel stays arranged by yourself or corporate travel agent did that for you?

If you arrange them yourself then having amb does help (but still not worth to spend extra 2k for it)
rny321 likes this.
kaizen7 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: