FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1906860-marriott-bonvoy-ambassador-elite-level-experiences-2020-earlier.html)

txpenny Nov 17, 2018 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Siweltj (Post 30438021)
I reached Ambassador level two months ago and stay in Marriott properties five nights per week and no recognition. I've had no contact, email, call or letter about the status. I've filled a few complaints since August over a few things that have happened asking for follow up and absolutely no reply. I agree with other users here that likely best to charge to Hilton going forward. Kinda sad you stay somewhere so often and don't even get a bottle of water at check in. Oooo and the 48 hour room gaurentee is a total joke. Tried to use that when my normal place showed full and reply was that its not gaurenteed. Then why do you call it a gaurentee?

While this is interesting, it would be more helpful if you would provide specifics. What complaints and how did you go about complaining? Specifically, where are you staying that you can't get bottled water? You clearly sound frustrated with Marriott, but if you want help from the community (or Lurker), please provide details - before charging over to Hilton.

C17PSGR Nov 17, 2018 7:05 am

Originally Posted by txpenny (Post 30438915)
While this is interesting, it would be more helpful if you would provide specifics. What complaints and how did you go about complaining? Specifically, where are you staying that you can't get bottled water? You clearly sound frustrated with Marriott, but if you want help from the community (or Lurker), please provide details - before charging over to Hilton.

details would be helpful.

as for the bottle of water at check in ... I have thousands of nights at Marriott properties and have never been given a bottle of water at checkin but they always have them in the room. In contrast, I have dozens of nights at Hilton. And have always been given a bag with a couple of bottles of water and they dont have any in the room. It's a difference between the two brands on how they approach it. And I'll avoid using the plastic in many circumstances.

I've never had a problem with the 48 hour guarantee. Its sometime not obvious as the hotel shows rooms like normal on the website or app ...if you are logged in. If you're not logged in, it wont show them as available. How did you try to book? Which hotel? Was there a big local event going on that might fall into an exception?

Siweltj Nov 17, 2018 10:12 am

As for the 48 hour gaurentee was in bay area after having been in the hotel for 4 weeks it was fully booked. Called priemer customer service and told no worries, just tell them when I check in that I needed to extend beyond my original check out date and they have to accommodate. When in did this, hotel said no. Then called customer service back and got a totally different story by two different reps who explained 48 hours was not gaurenteed but had to keep placing me on hold because they didn't even know what I was talking about. After receiving three different responses and having waited on hold for an hour and then begging hung up on either deliberately or accidentally. They could have called me back since she confirmed my number first. After spending two days on the issue and being told three different things I asked to have a supervisor call me back and filled a complaint. To date have never received a response and that was August. I also submitted the same issues via customer care email also requested a call back. No response. Also asked that they review there recordings of my calls to verify that I was either lied to or misinformed. Nothing. I understand there was an event in town which would have been fine if I had been told that originally, but that was not the case. And also my point being why call it a 48 hour gaurentee if it's not gaurenteed.

As for water, out of by 120 nights + this year I have been offered water maybe 5 times. Yes occasionally water is in the room but at $3 a bottle. I would be happy to provide any and all details which have all been provided to Marriott but they don't seem to care.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30438999)
details would be helpful.

as for the bottle of water at check in ... I have thousands of nights at Marriott properties and have never been given a bottle of water at checkin but they always have them in the room. In contrast, I have dozens of nights at Hilton. And have always been given a bag with a couple of bottles of water and they dont have any in the room. It's a difference between the two brands on how they approach it. And I'll avoid using the plastic in many circumstances.

I've never had a problem with the 48 hour guarantee. Its sometime not obvious as the hotel shows rooms like normal on the website or app ...if you are logged in. If you're not logged in, it wont show them as available. How did you try to book? Which hotel? Was there a big local event going on that might fall into an exception?

bhrubin Nov 17, 2018 10:47 am

When one has only 3 total posts and complains about Marriott being inadequate and Hilton being better, I really do wonder why one is not staying with Hilton and avoiding the obvious problem altogether? Go stay with Hilton and stop wasting your time with Marriott then! You have our blessing.

Just as on TripAdvisor where I do not trust reviews from anyone with fewer than 20+ real reviews of comparable hotels to those being reviewed, I cannot trust a FlyerTalk post from someone with almost no posts at all who enters the fray only to besmirch without details. It’s quite suspicious to me, I’m sorry to say.

dimramon Nov 17, 2018 10:56 am

I just re qualified for ambassador for next year. I was originally invited into the program some time after it started. Then I got sick, traveled less, and lost status. I regained ambassador status a couple of years ago. I was unhappy with my ambassador at the time. When I had questions, he would tell me to call the hotel, call customer service, etc. After I received a "template email" from him, I decided I wanted someone else.
A supervisor called me and found me a new ambassador. I had an initial conversation with my new ambassador, and I explained I was a low-key traveler who typically stays at the same hotel every week. asked me some personal details to get to know me and my preferences better (birthday, anniversary, etc.). Not sure why she asked for that information, as it never resulted in anything for me.
For the past few months, I would often get out-of-office messages from her, and then someone else would handle the request.

For my past three questions (especially my botched stays since the merger, where my status wasn't recognized or seen in the system), I did not get an out of office message. I did receive emails from the "after hours team, who was helping out my ambassador *today", as they put it. The first time, it took 3 days to get a response, the second time as well, and the third time I got a faster response... 2 days wait.

I may not be using the program much, but especially since the merger, responses and response times have been pathetic.

escape4 Nov 17, 2018 11:08 am

Is there a general phone line I can call to reach any ambassador off hours? In the past I just called my regular ambassador number even though I knew she was out of the office, hit zero, and I was transferred to another ambassador. Then about one month ago this stopped working - I did not even get her voice mail and it kept ringing non-stop if I called off hours. Then she acknowledged she had phone problems as reported by other clients, but that it was fixed. Now this time around it seems a different kind of problem pops up: I get a recorded message saying I will be transferred to an ambassador but then it rings busy. If there is another general phone I can call rather than her own number that would be helpful.

dimramon Nov 17, 2018 11:10 am

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 30439590)
Is there a general phone line I can call to reach any ambassador off hours? In the past I just called my regular ambassador number even though I knew she was out of the office, hit zero, and I was transferred to another ambassador. Then about one month ago this stopped working - I did not even get her voice mail and it kept ringing non-stop if I called off hours. Then she acknowledged she had phone problems as reported by other clients, but that it was fixed. Now this time around it seems a different kind of problem pops up: I get a recorded message saying I will be transferred to an ambassador but then it rings busy. If there is another general phone I can call rather than her own number that would be helpful.

Call the platinum line, perhaps?

escape4 Nov 17, 2018 11:15 am

Originally Posted by dimramon (Post 30439595)
Call the platinum line, perhaps?

Yes this is what I do when I cannot reach an ambassador because the phone is not working using my own ambassador's private line. Just wondering if there is an ambassador-specific phone number though.

dimramon Nov 17, 2018 11:18 am

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 30439609)
Yes this is what I do when I cannot reach an ambassador because the phone is not working using my own ambassador's private line. Just wondering if there is an ambassador-specific phone number though.

I think in my case it used to redirect to an after-hours number, but I have kind of given up on that.

Siweltj Nov 17, 2018 11:23 am

Your comments are very helpful. If you want to be oblivious to obvious poor customer care, be my guest.

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30439533)
When one has only 3 total posts and complains about Marriott being inadequate and Hilton being better, I really do wonder why one is not staying with Hilton and avoiding the obvious problem altogether? Go stay with Hilton and stop wasting your time with Marriott then! You have our blessing.

Just as on TripAdvisor where I do not trust reviews from anyone with fewer than 20+ real reviews of comparable hotels to those being reviewed, I cannot trust a FlyerTalk post from someone with almost no posts at all who enters the fray only to besmirch without details. It’s quite suspicious to me, I’m sorry to say.

MSPeconomist Nov 17, 2018 11:26 am

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 30439590)

I noticed a similar problem this week. When I call my Ambassador's phone number, at first a recording says that my call will be sent to the next available Ambassador (as if I had called some general number for the Ambassador "team"), but then I reach either my Ambassador or her voicemail message, but she doesn't seem to be getting the voicemails.

escape4 Nov 17, 2018 11:27 am

Originally Posted by dimramon (Post 30439615)
I think in my case it used to redirect to an after-hours number, but I have kind of given up on that.

I would be happy with the redirect to the after hours numbers if only it could work... Unfortunately it does not for me.

txpenny Nov 17, 2018 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Siweltj (Post 30439453)
As for the 48 hour gaurentee was in bay area after having been in the hotel for 4 weeks it was fully booked. Called priemer customer service and told no worries, just tell them when I check in that I needed to extend beyond my original check out date and they have to accommodate. When in did this, hotel said no. Then called customer service back and got a totally different story by two different reps who explained 48 hours was not gaurenteed but had to keep placing me on hold because they didn't even know what I was talking about. After receiving three different responses and having waited on hold for an hour and then begging hung up on either deliberately or accidentally. They could have called me back since she confirmed my number first. After spending two days on the issue and being told three different things I asked to have a supervisor call me back and filled a complaint. To date have never received a response and that was August. I also submitted the same issues via customer care email also requested a call back. No response. Also asked that they review there recordings of my calls to verify that I was either lied to or misinformed. Nothing. I understand there was an event in town which would have been fine if I had been told that originally, but that was not the case. And also my point being why call it a 48 hour gaurentee if it's not gaurenteed.

As for water, out of by 120 nights + this year I have been offered water maybe 5 times. Yes occasionally water is in the room but at $3 a bottle. I would be happy to provide any and all details which have all been provided to Marriott but they don't seem to care.

By specifics I mean what specific hotel. A hotel "in the bay area" doesn't tell us anything. If you were truly in a hotel for 4 weeks and given the boot when full, it would be helpful to the community to know which hotel would treat you with such disdain. I would also love to learn which Marriott hotels do not provided water to a platinum, let alone a platinum with ambassador. Your claim that you have not been offered water 96% of the time is does not seem believable to me. I have 217 BIB nights so far this year and I cannot remember a single night where water was not provided.

Regardless of your post count, naming hotels rather than taking vague shots goes a long way toward credibility.

damon88 Nov 17, 2018 1:49 pm

It has been a stressful week for me since my husband fractured 4 ribs while visiting our son in Orange County and has been hospitalized for the last 7 nights. My wonderful Ambassador was a rockstar- arranging for penalty free cancellations at the StR Princeville and helping me book a hotel where my husband can convalesce (we want to stay in OC but our son’s house has way too many stairs). She called several times to check on me and did her best to get the hotel to accommodate us on a sold out night. I needed something else today but knew my Ambassador is off on Saturdays and Sundays. I called her number and her voicemail instructed me to press zero. Another Ambassador answered on the first ring and spent about 15 minutes calling the hotel for me and arranging a 1:30 checkin.

I am very grateful for the Ambassador service right now.

Siweltj Nov 17, 2018 2:20 pm

Marriott Residence Inn is my usual stay although that may vary depending on where I am travelling in the country. Specifically the incident I speak of was Residence Inn San Carlso CA. As for water at hotels, as said it is a rarity when offered. Just spent 5 nights last week in Townplace Suites Lawrence KS - no water. Courtyard Seattle Pioneer Place - no water.... Fairfield Downtown Tulsa no water, shall I go on....

These are just annoyances and lack of any appreciation for loyal customers. Bigger concerns are the lack of reply to complaints and calls, and no contact by ambassador...

Originally Posted by txpenny (Post 30439824)
By specifics I mean what specific hotel. A hotel "in the bay area" doesn't tell us anything. If you were truly in a hotel for 4 weeks and given the boot when full, it would be helpful to the community to know which hotel would treat you with such disdain. I would also love to learn which Marriott hotels do not provided water to a platinum, let alone a platinum with ambassador. Your claim that you have not been offered water 96% of the time is does not seem believable to me. I have 217 BIB nights so far this year and I cannot remember a single night where water was not provided.

Regardless of your post count, naming hotels rather than taking vague shots goes a long way toward credibility.