Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
And what was the amazing hotel cultural event?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:10 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
And what was the amazing hotel cultural event?
The Imperial In Concert series had a piano performance, with a special guest pianist from Los Angeles (ironically) who apparently was one of the world’s best. It was magical...and I must be the least artistically appreciative gay man in the history of the word.

You can see the details in my review under Imperial Piano Concert Surprise:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ial-suite-2198
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by damon88

Hmmmm

On our recent trip Prince de Galles, Grande Bretagne, Mystique and Domes of Elounda all delivered generous Welcome Amenities (some on multiple days). But I was surprised on our way home on our 1 night stay at the W Seattle that (although they did give us a complimentary upgrade to the Extreme Wow Suite) there was no welcome amenity.

I have always assumed this is a hotel gesture and not corporate mandated. I do hope it’s not a pattern. It’s always nice to have a chilled bottle of champagne waiting 🍾 🥂
I had a mini bottle of French white wine delivered to my room about 4 hours after I checked into the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House. No note, either from hotel manager or my ambassador. No subsequent amenities. Moreover, the hotel refused to provide any of the benefits and privileges that came with a suite because I had a "free upgrade." I used a suite night award certificate, which is hardly a "free upgrade." Regardless, as I understand it the properties have no say in the clearing of a SNA certificate. So they can't act all high and mighty for giving me a "free" suite.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin

If you don’t mind, I find the devil is usually in the details. What was the “special stay” property that disappointed you? What actually disappointed you there?

I applaud you dealing with the disappointment by discussing that with your Ambassador. The only way things can improve is when we are honest and forthright. Did you mention your disappointment at the property, too? I certainly hope so.

Was your Ambassador suggesting reminding that prior stay property about Plat benefits after the fact or reminding a property where you have an upcoming stay? If the former, I’d consider asking for a new Ambassador. If the latter, then maybe things will improve for you.

J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House. A suite night award certificate cleared for the premium park suite, the second-highest category of suites. Basically, the hotel told me I had a "free upgrade" and, as such, wasn't entitled to any of the benefits or privileges that come with suites at this property. For three nights I didn't receive turndown service.

Yes, I communicated my disappointment with the property as well as the ambassador. Here is what the ambassador said:

I am so sorry that you were not pleased about the suite upgrade. We genuinely hope that our guests enjoy the extra space our suites provide. Many times special perks that go with paid upgrades for suites. That gives our guests that would not be upgraded a reason to pay for the suite as a privilege. Those perks are in some way to reward those guests that are willing to pay a little extra. I will reach out about the complimentary benefits we can extend to you as a Platinum guest. Again, I apologize you felt you were missing out since you received a complimentary upgrade. We will work on the delivery of this type of information. I have shared with our local team your feedback.
Here was my response:

I appreciate your response. I think there is a fine line here. Is there a provision of the new Marriott terms and conditions that say you don't get the benefits if you receive a complimentary suite? A property could easily decline to provide full daily housekeeping or turndown services because they claim it only comes with a paying guest. I think it's a very delicate matter. I've never -- ever -- stayed at a property that did not provide benefits or privileges to me because I was upgraded. It's not as if it's a "free" stay, which is how the property's person described it to me, implying I was less valued than other guests. Moreover, the suite night award certificates
have some value to them. It's not as if the property as a gesture of goodwill put me in a suite.

Moreover, I am not a Platinum guest. Platinum status two levels below the Platinum Premier Ambassador status that I hold.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flo_147
@bhrubin
Well, my critic is maybe more property specific than AMB team related, yet I just find the AMBs are not going further than a standard Marriott employee does. I did read some of your trip reports and actually thought - since it's a special occasion - we may get even better treatment than 'standard Plat treatment', since my AMB reached out to both hotels.
This was my disappointing experience at the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House in London, which was always more Ritz-Carlton or Luxury Collection than J.W. Marriott. I've stayed there at least once a year, sometimes three times, for the last five years. I didn't get anything that I never previously received. Actually, I recall getting handwritten thank you notes from guest relations in the past. This time, nothing. Just a mini bottle of wine. That's it. The same bottle that in the past was the complimentary welcome amenity, if you opted for it.
\
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:31 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House. A suite night award certificate cleared for the premium park suite, the second-highest category of suites. Basically, the hotel told me I had a "free upgrade" and, as such, wasn't entitled to any of the benefits or privileges that come with suites at this property. For three nights I didn't receive turndown service.

Yes, I communicated my disappointment with the property as well as the ambassador. Here is what the ambassador said:

Here was my response:
Yikes. I would’ve been pretty pissed, too. I’m sorry that happens to anyone. If you get upgraded, you get upgraded and should get all the regular bells and whistles connected to the new room (barring free transfers to the airport or something). But I do believe that your poor suite treatment was a (glaring) fail on the part of the hotel and not at all related to your Ambassador. Again, the Ambassador makes requests; the hotels execute them. This hotel failed miserably. I’d have asked to speak to the hotel manager on duty or Director of Front Office almost immediately after such nonsense.

The Ambassador’s response, however, deserves a spanking; that was totally tone deaf and oblivious. That alone still might have made me have a very frank conversation with my Ambassdor. If responses like that became a pattern, I most certainly would make a kind request to find a more suitable Ambassador.

Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by damon88
It’s funny. We have stayed at over a dozen Luxury Collection properties in Asia, Europe and North America and the Imperial was probably our biggest disappointment. It was most likely just bad luck (it happens) but they put us in a tired run down room in the back.
I think this is part of the problem with Autograph Collection, Tribute Portfolio and Luxury Collection. They are soft brands, allowing properties to get away with inferior decor and amenities that sometimes are shabby chic but other times are just outdated and sometimes dilapidated. I stayed at The Palace Hotel, Luxury Collection in 2014. The room was beyond run down. While Marriott and legacy Starwood allowed the Marriott and Sheraton brands to get tired they eventually forced owners to commit to renovations or lose the flag. I don't think that's necessarily the cae at these quasi-independent, boutique-esque hotels.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flo_147
Most likely I went into those stays with way too high exceptions. I had some problems at the Imperial and will give it a second try the next time I am in Vienna. If they then do not deliver, I guess that was it then for Stariott in Vienna for me. Will just keep staying at the Kempinski and PH then - at both hotels I will get a nice suite with awesome beds, the gym and SPA is good as is the breakfast.
I know most of the folks on here would never stay there but The Harmonie Vienna, BW Premier Collection is very good or, at least, it was when I stayed there in 2014. It exceeded my expectations for a Best Western-property. Upscale boutique. The only weaknesses were lack of turndown service, no real bar and a weak dinner restaurant. But otherwise very good and it had an exceptional breakfast that was mostly locally-sourced. For the price, it was a great value.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
On the flip side these properties are also not limited by skinflint Marriott CapEx policies, so most are kept much fresher than corporate Marriott hotels.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

Here was my response:
I'm glad you provided the Ambassador team with specific points, and from a Marriott perspective. I do think they have their work out out for them, but there is a lot of fierce loyalty and revenue upside to be gained if they can provide an Ambassador service as advertised.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Its quite annoying when hotel use these magic word ... "free" ... whether its an upgrade or night then denies the benefit of the room .
SNA upgrade is pretty much not a "free upgrade" as we pay for our base room and then spend our limited SNA for it ... and we only got SNA when we reach certain night threshold. Not that Marwood giving away those for free.

Even platinum and above upgrade, cant be called free upgrade as members spend thousands of dollars on Marwood chains to reach that level..
(even at $50/ night .... reaching 50 nights still equal to $2500 spending)

And its not limited to Marwood properties ... even at Accor they have the same issue.

Purchase Accor Plus membership and get 1 or 2 free night .. and be ready to be treated like freeloader when you use them.
Yet the membership cost itself can easily cover those free night price.
(Quite amazed to see many people actually purchase that membership on regular basis ... )
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Its quite annoying when hotel use these magic word ... "free" ... whether its an upgrade or night then denies the benefit of the room .
SNA upgrade is pretty much not a "free upgrade" as we pay for our base room and then spend our limited SNA for it ... and we only got SNA when we reach certain night threshold. Not that Marwood giving away those for free.

Even platinum and above upgrade, cant be called free upgrade as members spend thousands of dollars on Marwood chains to reach that level..
(even at $50/ night .... reaching 50 nights still equal to $2500 spending)

And its not limited to Marwood properties ... even at Accor they have the same issue.

Purchase Accor Plus membership and get 1 or 2 free night .. and be ready to be treated like freeloader when you use them.
Yet the membership cost itself can easily cover those free night price.
(Quite amazed to see many people actually purchase that membership on regular basis ... )
At the 75 night level, a member could have picked an award stay with a value of up to 40K instead of 5 additional SNAs. I value MR points at $0.0075 each, which would make 40K points worth roughly $300. Since points are more flexible than a fixed value award, I would value a 40K award night at less than $300. Regardless, of the valuation of each SNA that one uses, there is an opportunity cost of selecting them.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:06 pm

I received an email from my assigned Ambassador today. Which is pretty quick I think, I just crossed the threshold over the weekend.
The email was the standard introduction and then a series of questions on my preferences.
Looks like I got assigned from someone in the 402 area code, and I am in Ontario Canada.
C17PSGR and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
While I haven't had cause to request any special services from my ambassador, I will say on the two occasions where Marriott had posting issues, my ambassador fixed both immediately (one was mine, one was spouse's account). That's a nice change from per-ambassador days.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Starwood had a policy that if you received an upgrade, you were entitled to the benefits that came with that room, regardless of how you got there. The Lurkers have also confirmed this and gotten involved when rogue properties tried to deny benefits.

I would ask the Lurkers whether this policy is still in place and whether they can intervene on your behalf.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.