Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ĎAmbassador Eliteí Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

Marriott Bonvoy ĎAmbassador Eliteí Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 2, 20, 9:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: HHQX888
Wiki Link
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 8, 18, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kaizen7 View Post
Does the IT glitch affects only web/ apps booking ? if yes then thats explains as majority of customer book through travel agent or OTA hence not affected by Marriott IT glitch.

With the value of ambassador, I would say thats because the ability of mid to lower end of hotels to pamper their individual guest like zoo panda is limited.
St Regises and likes will have more staff / guest ratio, and have more means to deliver personalised service.
Cant expect room cleaner at Courtyard provide St Regis' level butler service.
It's a bit scary when you project the issues we are seeing to the mega-customer corporate travel (sorry, but FTers and a very small percentage of members although very vocal). I don't see any participants here that represent that segment, but although they may have their own front-end to book Marriott rooms, I can't help but to think similar hiccups are happening there. Given their volume of business is much greater than any of us may ever see, I suspect they are very seasoned on how to get the issues resolved in a much more timely fashion. And since these agents are more attuned to isolating their customers from problems, we may never know just how pervasive these problems are, not to say what we are seeing is minor.
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:03 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl., Accor-Plat., Former FPC-Plat.
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
I always have believed that there is more value to the Ambassador program for those staying in the nicer service brands—upper upscale and especially the luxury brands—and for those who spend more. I’ve always gotten tarred and feathered, sometime even by moderators, for those beliefs. I’ve been accused of being condescending and elitist for those beliefs. I’ve been accused of bragging because of those statements. Yet the new $20K revenue requirement and successive data points like these from this most recent Marriott earnings call continue to reinforce that my beliefs are not remotely outrageous and might be right on the money.

Based solely on your posts, my impression is a that you are a high value and somewhat high maintenance customer with a great ambassador that you utilize effectively. Since your reviews aren't accompanied by a "Maximize Your Purchase" section and credit card signup links, I place more value on your opinions than the reviews of many well-known bloggers. Although your needs and expectations are different from mine, I appreciate the thoroughness of your reviews and your willingness to answer questions.
bhrubin and kaizen7 like this.

Last edited by rny321; Nov 8, 18 at 9:10 am
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K, Marriott LTPP
I guess it must not be easy to opt out of the Ambassador program. The response I got from the Ambassador assigned to me a few days ago was that they put a note in my account and they would not actively reach out to me.

I restated that it was my intention to be completely removed from the program and did not want Ambassadors to be involved at all and wanted the platinum customer service representatives to manage my account

No response has been received.
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:52 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rny321 View Post
Based solely on your posts, my impression is a that you are a high value and somewhat high maintenance customer with a great ambassador that you utilize effectively. Since your reviews aren't accompanied by a "Maximize Your Purchase" section and credit card signup links, I place more value on your opinions than the reviews of many well-known bloggers. Although your needs and expectations are different from mine, I appreciate the thoroughness of your reviews and your willingness to answer questions.
Haha, thanks for your candor and for your support.

I certainly like to think that Iím always willing to help fellow FTers who ask in good faith. And Iíve also been helped by many other FTers in kind.

I happen to contribute equally to both the Marriott and Luxury Forums because my stays most often straddle those two arenas. I donít apologize for that. That means that I tend to stay more often at Marriott luxury segment properties than the average Marriott guest or elite. The Ambassador perspective and Ambassador experience I have can therefore be considerably different than that of the average Marriott guest or elite. That seems to really bother some people. Iím glad it doesnít bother you.
rny321 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by rny321 View Post
I also value BHR's opinions ... some of which I agree with and others which I disagree with.

That being said, I think most of us would agree that his experiences are different that the vast majority of us with ambassadors. Perhaps its because I stay in a range of properties over my 125 nights in Starriott properties but when I do stay in LC properties, I don't see much difference in treatment that when I'm at a TownPlace Suites, although the property may be nicer of course.
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:56 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by mrboom View Post
I guess it must not be easy to opt out of the Ambassador program. The response I got from the Ambassador assigned to me a few days ago was that they put a note in my account and they would not actively reach out to me.

I restated that it was my intention to be completely removed from the program and did not want Ambassadors to be involved at all and wanted the platinum customer service representatives to manage my account

No response has been received.
Please do keep us advised if you donít mind. Iím actually curious how Marriott might handle a case such as yours. Iím also curious as to the level of support you do get from just the regular Plat customer service group. Good luck!
Old Nov 8, 18, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
I also value BHR's opinions ... some of which I agree with and others which I disagree with.
Thanks. Now I’m gonna blush. At least partially.

That being said, I think most of us would agree that his experiences are different that the vast majority of us with ambassadors. Perhaps its because I stay in a range of properties over my 125 nights in Starriott properties but when I do stay in LC properties, I don't see much difference in treatment that when I'm at a TownPlace Suites, although the property may be nicer of course.
I’m a little surprised by the hyperbole of your assessment, and that has nothing to do for me with the Ambassadors at all! If you really aren’t noticing a difference in treatment and service between a Luxury Collection property and a TownePlace property, then...

(1) There’s something terribly wrong or disappointing with the LC properties at which you stay OR you’re staying at a shockingly exceptional TownePlace property...or
(2) You just don’t care about or don’t appreciate the inherent differences in service, food/beverage quality, amenities, hard product, and location between the LC and TownePlace brands...or
(3) That explains why you don’t appreciate many of the differences in Ambassador treatment, anyway. Since you obviously don’t appreciate them irrelevant to the Ambassador program!

Your statement suggests you have trouble differentiating between LC and TownePlace properties beyond their hard product (nicer decor, nicer bedding, nicer lighting, nicer furnishings, etc). You might not notice or care about he soft product (personal attention, individualized service, better food/beverage quality, nicer/luxury touches, more services, etc) that is a big part of the difference between those brands. You’re entitled to not notice those soft product differences, of course...but those differences are usually pretty discernible to most of us, I think. You’re entitled not to care about those soft product differences, of course...but those differences in service and treatment are also the foundation for most of what we discuss in this thread and relative to the nicer and luxury brands!

Basically, if you can’t or don’t appreciate the differences in service and treatment between LC and TownePlace brands on their own, that may go a long way to explaining how you similarly can’t or don’t appreciate or even notice the positive impacts of Ambassador service and status. That’s wildly different from me, but at least then it would be consistent.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 8, 18 at 10:19 am
Old Nov 8, 18, 10:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
It's a bit scary when you project the issues we are seeing to the mega-customer corporate travel (sorry, but FTers and a very small percentage of members although very vocal). I don't see any participants here that represent that segment, but although they may have their own front-end to book Marriott rooms, I can't help but to think similar hiccups are happening there. Given their volume of business is much greater than any of us may ever see, I suspect they are very seasoned on how to get the issues resolved in a much more timely fashion. And since these agents are more attuned to isolating their customers from problems, we may never know just how pervasive these problems are, not to say what we are seeing is minor.
I would say corporate TA segments most likely have less hiccups ....
I believe they use different booking system .. or even contacted the hotel directly if they already making hundreds of bookings there previously.
(and I bet the hotel will update those TA if their email changes ... unlike the masses that have to be satisfied by faxing their email to the hotels )
And in the event of email failure, like the ambassadors email issues, the hotels sales peoples definitely will actively reach to those TA when they didnt hear anything from them.
Old Nov 8, 18, 10:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold

Iím a little surprised by the hyperbole of your assessment, and that has nothing to do for me with the Ambassadors at all! If you really arenít noticing a difference in treatment and service between a Luxury Collection property and a TownePlace property, then...

(1) Thereís something terribly wrong or disappointing with the LC properties at which you stay OR youíre staying at a shockingly exceptional TownePlace property...or
(2) You just donít care about or donít appreciate the inherent differences in service, food/beverage quality, amenities, hard product, and location between the LC and TownePlace brands...or
(3) That explains why you donít appreciate many of the differences in Ambassador treatment, anyway. Since you obviously donít appreciate them irrelevant to the Ambassador program!

Your statement suggests you have trouble differentiating between LC and TownePlace properties beyond their hard product (nicer decor, nicer bedding, nicer lighting, nicer furnishings, etc). You might not notice or care about he soft product (personal attention, individualized service, better food/beverage quality, nicer/luxury touches, more services, etc) that is a big part of the difference between those brands. Youíre entitled to not notice those soft product differences, of course...but those differences are usually pretty discernible to most of us, I think. Youíre entitled not to care about those soft product differences, of course...but those differences in service and treatment are also the foundation for most of what we discuss in this thread and relative to the nicer and luxury brands!

Basically, if you canít or donít appreciate the differences in service and treatment between LC and TownePlace brands on their own, that may go a long way to explaining how you similarly canít or donít appreciate or even notice the positive impacts of Ambassador service and status. Thatís wildly different from me, but at least then it would be consistent.
To be honest, some people are quite indifferent with the zoo panda treatment offered by st regises and the likes.

My own dad is like that ... he didnt see the difference between St Regis and Mercure other than decor
He does recognised that St Regis will be more expensive than Mercure.
He also dislike having breakfast in the lounge due to staff give him "too much" attention and he do prefer having his breakfast in hotel restaurant

I can guess those type of people wont appreciate ambassador service and the bells and whistle that come with the service.
Old Nov 8, 18, 10:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaizen7 View Post
To be honest, some people are quite indifferent with the zoo panda treatment offered by st regises and the likes.

My own dad is like that ... he didnt see the difference between St Regis and Mercure other than decor
He does recognised that St Regis will be more expensive than Mercure.
He also dislike having breakfast in the lounge due to staff give him "too much" attention and he do prefer having his breakfast in hotel restaurant

I can guess those type of people wont appreciate ambassador service and the bells and whistle that come with the service.
No doubt. But I obviously appreciate luxury service and Ambassador service—and also am not a fan of lounges or Clubs and prefer breakfast in the restaurant or via room service (even if I have to pay for what otherwise may be free). So that doesn’t preclude the bells and whistles!
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 10:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
when I do stay in LC properties, I don't see much difference in treatment that when I'm at a TownPlace Suites, although the property may be nicer of course.
I’m actually most curious to what LC properties you refer as being not much different in treatment/service from TownePlace. Can you mention those specific LC properties?
Old Nov 8, 18, 11:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG & Marriott Plat
The Ambassador perspective and Ambassador experience I have can therefore be considerably different than that of the average Marriott guest or elite. That seems to really bother some people
You keep using that argument. As Inigo Montoya would say, 'I do not think it means what you think it means'.

I would be surprised if anyone is bothered with you staying mostly in luxurious hotels. That would be ridiculous. I believe it's your inability to understand that even those spending the same or more than you are unimpressed with this service. Your posts also seem to indicate that those not spending as much as you are not worthy of this benefit. Now I can see how that would bother someone. You seem to have a great Ambassador who goes the extra distance for you but the majority of us have average Ambassadors who don't make this benefit worth striving for.

My husband has been at Ambassador level for many years and I am too at the same level now. As far as the Ambassador service is concerned we observe absolutely no difference between staying at a $100 a night Sheraton or a $1,000 a night St. Regis. I have a friend who stays at the most amazing and expensive Starwood hotels around the world with her husband. Their average stay runs into many Thousands of Dollars every time and I wouldn't be surprised if they meet the $20,000 spend criteria in just 2 or 3 stays every year. Even her husband claims the Ambassador service is a disappointment. They say many requests they make with their Ambassador are not fulfilled and they have to make the same requests with the hotel who manage to deliver when the Ambassador couldn't.

I can tell you mean well with your 'Eternal Defence' of the Ambassador program but i can see how your posts bother a number of posters who don't share the same experience as you. Not because you spend more or stay in more luxurious hotels but because you seem to have a different opinion of those who don't have the same stay and spend patterns.
Old Nov 8, 18, 11:02 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
So this doesnít technically belong in the Ambassador thread but when I read reports of so many who bemoan the lack of Elite recognition I am very confused.

I am not surprised by the stellar recognition I receive as a long term LTPPE with Ambassador Status. For many years SPG and now Marriott has treated me very well. But just this morning I had a discussion with my son (a newly minted PPE) about his recent experiences at Marriott properties.

Our son travels quite a bit for work and just this week had stays at the Seattle Airport Marriott and the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. At both hotels the FDC warmly welcomed him as a Platinum Premier and surprised him with upgrades to multi room suites.

He was very impressed with the service he received and asked if I could help prepare a list of Marriott brands for his assistant who books his travel since she seems confused about which hotels qualify. He wants to make sure he stays at Marriott properties whenever possible.

I have plenty of gripes about Marriottís integration- but all are related to tech- website and APP issues.

Other than that my experiences are very similar to BHRs, and I assume that part of that is due to the fact that we mostly stay at Luxury properties. On our recent trip to Europe we received top notch service and upgrades at Prince de Galles, Grande Bretagne, Mystique, Domes of Elounda and (on our way home) the W Seattle. Every one of those hotels went out of its way to make me feel like a valued Ambassador guest.

But my sonís recent experiences show me that Marriott is not just recognizing Ambassador guests at Luxury hotels- there is Elite recognition across the brands. At least for some members. And why there is such a discrepancy is confusing to me.

bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 11:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
You keep using that argument. As Inigo Montoya would say, 'I do not think it means what you think it means'.

I would be surprised if anyone is bothered with you staying mostly in luxurious hotels. That would be ridiculous. I believe it's your inability to understand that even those spending the same or more than you are unimpressed with this service. Your posts also seem to indicate that those not spending as much as you are not worthy of this benefit. Now I can see how that would bother someone. You seem to have a great Ambassador who goes the extra distance for you but the majority of us have average Ambassadors who don't make this benefit worth striving for.

My husband has been at Ambassador level for many years and I am too at the same level now. As far as the Ambassador service is concerned we observe absolutely no difference between staying at a $100 a night Sheraton or a $1,000 a night St. Regis. I have a friend who stays at the most amazing and expensive Starwood hotels around the world with her husband. Their average stay runs into many Thousands of Dollars every time and I wouldn't be surprised if they meet the $20,000 spend criteria in just 2 or 3 stays every year. Even her husband claims the Ambassador service is a disappointment. They say many requests they make with their Ambassador are not fulfilled and they have to make the same requests with the hotel who manage to deliver when the Ambassador couldn't.

I can tell you mean well with your 'Eternal Defence' of the Ambassador program but i can see how your posts bother a number of posters who don't share the same experience as you. Not because you spend more or stay in more luxurious hotels but because you seem to have a different opinion of those who don't have the same stay and spend patterns.
First, thank you for your kind and civil post. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to discuss these matter in a manner that even Ellen would approve of!

Second, I can assure you that I've been chided on more than one occasion about my supposed bragging about staying at luxury hotels--even by moderators. When I discuss the hotels at which I stay, I can't help it if more happen to be luxury hotels. Not any more than it's an issue for someone who stays more often at Fairfield or FourPoints. Those all are part of the Marriott family. That being said, I also discuss and do quite thorough reviews on the non-luxury hotels at which I stay, too. Case in point: my review just a week ago of the Courtyard Irvine John Wayne Airport.

Third, I do not believe anyone isn't worthy of Ambassador service and wonderful treatment--other than in needing to meet the eligibility criteria, of course. If one meets the qualifications, I am delighted that one is part of the Ambassador guest group. I DO believe that the reason some of us might get better service and responsiveness is because we happen to spend more. At least, that was what I believed under SPG. I was not advocating for that difference; rather, I only was reporting a reason that I believed accounted for that difference. Too many didn't like that I believed that. The fact that Marriott has added the spending requirement means (1) I was probably right about that under SPG and (2) I don't know if that will be a factor or not in the same way under Marriott.

I'm a pretty liberal guy. I love that people who don't normally stay at or can't afford some luxury hotels are able to do so with their points. I love that people who don't normally get more individualized attention may be able to get more individualized service and attention through the Ambassador service. I don't begrudge any of that to anyone who qualifies.

But I also believe some of us have unrealistic expectations. I believe some people unfairly blame their Ambassadors when the hotels are the guilty party of not executing their Ambassador requests. It isn't always easy to determine whether the Ambassador or hotel screwed up, after all, but it is so much easier to scapegoat the Ambassadors.

Fourth, I am most interested in anyone who stays and spend a lot and still doesn't feel they get any better treatment. But IMO there can be a difference between feeling like one isn't getting better treatment and actually not getting better treatment. Your friends are a case in point--and I'd love to hear more about why they feel they aren't getting better treatment. That can be most constructive. Of course, it helps to hear the specifics to understand what is expected and what isn't being delivered. Broad generalizations don't really help make the case, so to speak, at least not for me. If you or they can share more details of how and why your friends are being let down, I know I'd love to hear more about it. I'm sure the Ambassador team and Lurkers would, too. And if they are being let down by an unresponsive Ambassador or one who doesn't follow through, it absolutely makes sense to criticize the Ambassador and to change to a new Ambassador.

Finally, my Eternal Defender moniker comes from someone who attacked me in the SPG Forum. Like being queer and taking on the queer moniker as a way to turn a negative into a positive, I wanted to do that with the Eternal Defender moniker. As much as I love that, I don't think the Ambassador program is perfect. But before I entered the Ambassador discussion in the SPG Forum, you'd have thought that not a single person had a positive experience--because not a single person had anything positive to share. I therefore entered the fray to offer my different and positive experience. I still am one of the few who contributes regularly to this thread who seems to have such positive experiences with my Ambassador and with the Ambassador program. Fortunately, I now have a little company with people like @damon88 and a few others. But we still are overwhelmingly outnumbered by people who have gripes about the program.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 8, 18 at 12:27 pm
Old Nov 8, 18, 12:05 pm

Programs: BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); Hyatt Somethingorother; UA Gold
Second, I can assure you that I've been chided on more than one occasion about my supposed bragging about staying at luxury hotels--even by moderators. When I discuss the hotels at which I stay, I can't help it if more happen to be luxury hotels. Not any more than it's an issue for someone who stays more often at Fairfield or FourPoints. Those all are part of the Marriott family. That being said, I also discuss and do quite thorough reviews on the non-luxury hotels at which I stay, too. Case in point: my review just a week ago of the Courtyard Irvine John Wayne Airport.
Bragging or not, highlighting fantastic stay after fantastic stay--along with glowing reviews of how your Ambassador set it up--kind of proves the point, no? I had an Ambassador for ~3 years give or take, and I had to practically beg for requests to be made and overemphasize that it was for a birthday/anniversary/whatever. It was such an effort that I didn't even bother otherwise. And that says nothing for the musical chairs of having a new one assigned as they seemed to turn over so often. Maybe you're just leaving those parts out here?

Anyway, as I've said before: there was a huge gap between how SPG advertised the Ambassador program and how it was actually executed for the vast majority of those who got the service.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: