Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 2, 20, 9:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: HHQX888
Wiki Link
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 9, 18, 11:36 am
  #661  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 20,105
Originally Posted by OldSchoolConsultant View Post
I'm LTPP and on the Overview page where it says progress towards Ambassador it's correctly reflecting my nights for the year (48) but for Spend it says $0. Anyone else seeing this?
Mine says over $20K when I'm in reality only halfway there. They know there are still display issues.
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Sep 9, 18, 12:58 pm
  #662  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold
Posts: 1,827
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
None of my pre-8/18 legacy SPG spending is counting. Also, none of my events are counting, either. It would also appear resort fees, dining charges, parking fees, and taxes aren't counting either.
mine definitely counted as i never stays at marriott legacy hotel.

And for multiple rooms, maximum number if rooms i booked is 2.
kaizen7 is offline  
Old Sep 9, 18, 2:06 pm
  #663  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SLC/HEL/Anywhere with a Beach
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by OldSchoolConsultant View Post
I'm LTPP and on the Overview page where it says progress towards Ambassador it's correctly reflecting my nights for the year (48) but for Spend it says $0. Anyone else seeing this?
I think I've read elsewhere that the dollar amount doesn't show up until you have 50 nights.

Wonder how they'll do it next year...
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Sep 9, 18, 6:25 pm
  #664  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Posts: 300
My YTD spending total currently on the website seems to be about $3K lower than it should be (I am just counting base spend and excluding taxes). Has anyone had success calling up Marriott and trying to get some kind of spending summary from them to see what stays they might not have credited correctly? I am reluctant to call in as it sounds like the call center and their IT in general is still mostly broken and I am likely to spend a lot of time and not get a resolution, but I was curious if anyone with a similar issue has been brave enough to try and get an answer.

Last edited by BillBurn; Sep 9, 18 at 6:43 pm
BillBurn is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 6:32 am
  #665  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Posts: 12,890
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
None of my pre-8/18 legacy SPG spending is counting. Also, none of my events are counting, either. It would also appear resort fees, dining charges, parking fees, and taxes aren't counting either.
event spending doesn't count towards ambassador. discussed in this thread.
karenkay is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 7:55 am
  #666  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,334
Originally Posted by karenkay View Post
event spending doesn't count towards ambassador. discussed in this thread.
Between spending apparently not counting toward the ambassador threshold and the loss of elite-qualifying nights, there isn't much of an incentive to hold events at Marriott properties anymore. I do about $250,000 a year in events.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 10:10 am
  #667  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Between spending apparently not counting toward the ambassador threshold and the loss of elite-qualifying nights, there isn't much of an incentive to hold events at Marriott properties anymore. I do about $250,000 a year in events.
It all depends upon your goals. If maintaining elite status is the goal, then that's been shot down. But if MPG points have value, then they make sense. As I recall the early days of the program, I believe the intent was to get assistants that don't get to travel like their coworkers that are on the road day in and day out and they may be bragging about their benefits and perks received. This program passed some of those benefits along to keep MR properties in their minds when making office arrangements. Members jumped on and learned how to play the game and bump their status and that's now being cut back. All to often we only think of ourselves and don't acknowledge those that really make things happen for us. Imagine if you had to pass on 10% of your loyalty benefits on to your support staff? And before the flames get turned to high, there are many of us that plan and book our own travel plans, and that's fine. But again, when this got started, assistants were in the loop more than not.
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 10:24 am
  #668  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SLC/HEL/Anywhere with a Beach
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
As I recall the early days of the program, I believe the intent was to get assistants that don't get to travel like their coworkers that are on the road day in and day out and they may be bragging about their benefits and perks received. This program passed some of those benefits along to keep MR properties in their minds when making office arrangements.
+1. For example, I have a couple of meetings a year and have my assistant or one of our marketing team organize it. They like getting the perks from that and it helps keep them motivated. AA used to use Concierge Key, in a similar way to encourage travel planners/organizers.

Of course, some posters here seem to have business to involve extensive meetings and want to get the benefit of that (as they should). Marriott appears to have made the calculation that points are the best way to incent that and that night credits aren't necessary although I confess I'm not entirely sure how that works. If one has $250,000 in meetings annually, would they get 2.5 million points -- even if not night credits?
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 10:46 am
  #669  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,334
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
Marriott appears to have made the calculation that points are the best way to incent that and that night credits aren't necessary although I confess I'm not entirely sure how that works.
Marriott caps out the number of points you can get -- unless the property pays itself for bonus points (I've had triple-point contracts) -- with events so even then you are being penalized if you do high-dollar events at properties. I get there were people scheming under the old legacy Marriott program to get elite-status through fake, no-show meetings but there has to be a way to do this better. If I spend $250,000 annually with Marriott, excluding my personal spend, they could easily take 10% or 20% and apply it toward the ambassador threshold.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 10:57 am
  #670  
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,754
The new loyalty program does allow one to earn elite nights towards status--we get 1 elite night credit for every 20 room nights consumed. My suspicion is that Marriott may copy SPG and occasionally allow double credits (1 elite night for every 10 room nights consumed) when they determine they need to incentivize this more.

That the new loyalty program no longer allows one to earn more than 10 elite nights based on meetings without rooms is a strategic decision, one almost certainly intended to stop the collusion of people trying to achieve higher status without actually staying at Marriott properties.

That the new loyalty program does not count event and meeting spend towards the calculation of spending towards Ambassador status is also a strategic decision, one likely intended to stop the collusion of event organizers who spend a lot but don't stay a lot at Marriott properties. My guess is that there aren't so many people complaining about this overall since most of those don't stay often enough at Marriott properties that it matters. We are hearing a lot of complaints from a loud minority here, more likely.

For the record, it would help me greatly if Marriott allowed event/meeting spend to count towards the $20K Ambassador spending threshold--but I'll hit it regardless.

For the record, it would help me greatly if Marriott allowed events to continue to earn 10 elite nights--but I'll get 100 nights regardless.

I am sure Marriott has done the calculations and decided how best to achieve the goal number of Ambassador guests it wants with the types of guests it most wants. I'm also sure that Marriott will adjust these rules and thresholds in the coming years as it sees the behavior of the customers it wants to continue to attract to stay at its properties (e.g. those who profit the most) and those from which Marriott doesn't profit as much.
bhrubin is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 11:01 am
  #671  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
...a loud minority here.
....
Isn't that the definition of FT? We are a very small minority of MR/SPG members.
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 11:06 am
  #672  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SLC/HEL/Anywhere with a Beach
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
I am sure Marriott has done the calculations and decided how best to achieve the goal number of Ambassador guests it wants with the types of guests it most wants. I'm also sure that Marriott will adjust these rules and thresholds in the coming years as it sees the behavior of the customers it wants to continue to attract to stay at its properties (e.g. those who profit the most) and those from which Marriott doesn't profit as much.
Well --- the attitude of a couple of the posters in the Rewarding Events thread is certainly interesting. They were really concerned that they might miss out on a suite upgrade because it went to someone who actually stayed a lot at Marriotts! I certainly understand folks who are trying to get to the next LT threshold but some of this seems a little crazy.

That being said, I think the program will have lots of plats for 2019, but many less for 2020. Hopefully, that will give Marriott the opportunity to understand and reward those who bring more value to the company ... it sounds like people who are booking 20-40 rooms or $250,000 in meetings certainly fall into that category.
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 1:18 pm
  #673  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,334
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
The new loyalty program does allow one to earn elite nights towards status--we get 1 elite night credit for every 20 room nights consumed. My suspicion is that Marriott may copy SPG and occasionally allow double credits (1 elite night for every 10 room nights consumed) when they determine they need to incentivize this more.

That the new loyalty program no longer allows one to earn more than 10 elite nights based on meetings without rooms is a strategic decision, one almost certainly intended to stop the collusion of people trying to achieve higher status without actually staying at Marriott properties.

That the new loyalty program does not count event and meeting spend towards the calculation of spending towards Ambassador status is also a strategic decision, one likely intended to stop the collusion of event organizers who spend a lot but don't stay a lot at Marriott properties. My guess is that there aren't so many people complaining about this overall since most of those don't stay often enough at Marriott properties that it matters. We are hearing a lot of complaints from a loud minority here, more likely.

For the record, it would help me greatly if Marriott allowed event/meeting spend to count towards the $20K Ambassador spending threshold--but I'll hit it regardless.

For the record, it would help me greatly if Marriott allowed events to continue to earn 10 elite nights--but I'll get 100 nights regardless.

I am sure Marriott has done the calculations and decided how best to achieve the goal number of Ambassador guests it wants with the types of guests it most wants. I'm also sure that Marriott will adjust these rules and thresholds in the coming years as it sees the behavior of the customers it wants to continue to attract to stay at its properties (e.g. those who profit the most) and those from which Marriott doesn't profit as much.
Actually, I had a very, very long conversation (90 minutes) with Marriott's director of loyalty product strategy after escalating complaints about the new program's negative changes to Rewarding Events. He conceded they didn't fully think this out, especially for planners that do legit events without a room component. Apparently, they are looking at how to address this, but this conversation occurred before it was revealed that event spending won't count toward ambassador threshold.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 2:08 pm
  #674  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Actually, I had a very, very long conversation (90 minutes) with Marriott's director of loyalty product strategy after escalating complaints about the new program's negative changes to Rewarding Events. He conceded they didn't fully think this out, especially for planners that do legit events without a room component. Apparently, they are looking at how to address this, but this conversation occurred before it was revealed that event spending won't count toward ambassador threshold.
Not surprised, Marriott wiggles some more. Anyone else feel like MPG is going to be a moving target for a while?
bhrubin likes this.
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 18, 6:57 am
  #675  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Singapore
Programs: FB PFL, Accor Plat, Marriott Bonvoy Élite Ambassador, Emirates Plat, Air Caraibes Diam, SQ PPS
Posts: 47
Originally Posted by Jean97 View Post

interested to know how long it will take for your stay to be credited. I still wait for a three nights stay ended August 22 to appear on my account.
i called ( by phone ) the rewards assistance. Points credited Immediately. Faster and more efficient than SPG apps and mails as well.
Jean97 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: