Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 22, 19, 4:14 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: bhrubin
Wiki Link
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 23, 18, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Because in the 2017 qualifying year Marriott did not have a formal Ambassador program like they do now

I am PPE+A for this year because I earned it in 2017 with Starwood
Not exactly, Marriott had a formal Ambassador program for 2017. However, the requirements were unpublished and it was by invitation

That being said, there are folks who are PPE+A (or should be) who (a) qualified for it under the published SPG rules in 2017, (b) have met the qualifications already under the published rules in 2018 under either the SPG 100 night or the Marriott 100 night/20k, of (c) those who were selected under the Marriott unpublished program. There is no option for I would have qualified in 2017 if the current rules had been in place.
Old Aug 23, 18, 1:58 pm

Programs: MR Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
Were you PPE before August 18th?

Before August 18th, someone who had a 140 nights in 2017 would be just Platinum unless they had been selected for the unpublished PPE ( which generally required multiple years of 100 + nights)
I've noted that my status has been cut from PPE + Ambassador to just PPE as of today. When I logged in on the 19th, I was showing PPE + Ambassador on Marriott.com and the Marriott application. I was PPE as of January this year, before the status changes. I don't know if it's a temporary bobble, related to the combination of my SPG account to my Marriott account, or that I'm really still just PPE. I know it isn't exactly fair given that Marriott didn't have criteria for Ambassador before the 18th, but I'd be a bit disappointed if I were still just PPE, as now I'm effectively equal to everyone who was Platinum as of before the merger on the 18th.
Old Aug 23, 18, 2:31 pm
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GTJoe View Post
I've noted that my status has been cut from PPE + Ambassador to just PPE as of today. When I logged in on the 19th, I was showing PPE + Ambassador on Marriott.com and the Marriott application. I was PPE as of January this year, before the status changes. I don't know if it's a temporary bobble, related to the combination of my SPG account to my Marriott account, or that I'm really still just PPE. I know it isn't exactly fair given that Marriott didn't have criteria for Ambassador before the 18th, but I'd be a bit disappointed if I were still just PPE, as now I'm effectively equal to everyone who was Platinum as of before the merger on the 18th.
I wouldn't make any assumptions as of yet on what your actual status may be now--the website is still experiencing plenty of glitches.

I was SPG Plat100 Ambassador status well before the merge. Then after the merge I first showed only Plat Premier. Then a day later I showed Plat Premier with Ambassador. Yesterday I was showing only Plat Premier again, and today I still only show Plat Premier. Despite my account showing 186 nights and $38K in spending, which clearly should have me showing as Plat Premier with Ambassador.

But I am Plat Premier with Ambassador despite what currently is showing on the website. The Marriott issues with IT are beginning to show. I was willing to give Marriott several days to get these things sorted. But SPG would have had this remedied by now. Marriott IT is notoriously weak, and this is the proof.
Old Aug 23, 18, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
I wouldn't make any assumptions as of yet on what your actual status may be now--the website is still experiencing plenty of glitches.

I was SPG Plat100 Ambassador status well before the merge. Then after the merge I first showed only Plat Premier. Then a day later I showed Plat Premier with Ambassador. Yesterday I was showing only Plat Premier again, and today I still only show Plat Premier. Despite my account showing 186 nights and $38K in spending, which clearly should have me showing as Plat Premier with Ambassador.

But I am Plat Premier with Ambassador despite what currently is showing on the website. The Marriott issues with IT are beginning to show. I was willing to give Marriott several days to get these things sorted. But SPG would have had this remedied by now. Marriott IT is notoriously weak, and this is the proof.
Until this hour, Marriott.co.uk listed me as platinum premier ambassador. Now, I'm platinum premier. Marriott.com doesn't work and hasn't worked, at least for me, for 24 hours.
Old Aug 23, 18, 4:20 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

More positive data points: consistent and excellent responsiveness this week!

So amidst the chaos of the current merger/switchover between SPG/Marriott, I've had frequent contacts and responses from my Ambassador this week. Not too shabby for a period of time when the other vehicles are clogged/impossible to access!

(1) I emailed Sunday to ask about getting refunded points for award bookings that have since reduced in points. She emailed me back on Monday to let me know she was on it, but that their systems don't allow them to check or correct for those yet. They were expecting to have that ability to refund us back points in a week or so.

(2) I emailed Monday to ask about booking Phoenician Residences at new reduced rate. She responded same day that she would try to do this ASAP. Wednesday, she confirmed the booking and I received the automated email confirmation yesterday.

(3) I copied her with email requests Tuesday I sent directly to the StR San Francisco for my stay over Labor Day weekend. She responded the next day to follow up with me and to thank my contact at the StR for handling my request.l

(4) I copied her with email Wed to follow up to the StR Florence for our stay in late Sept/early Oct--because I'd received a StR response in Italian! She followed up today to make sure this was handled.

(5) I emailed today to cancel the Phoenician Residence booking--as it required way too many points than I'd expected (135K/night) and it was impossible to do it online. An hour later, that booking was canceled as per the email cancel notice I received.

(6) I emailed her today to inquire about the fact that I am currently at 9 Platinum years total.,..but had been at 60 nights with legacy Marriott before the merger. I wanted to confirm that 15 more legacy Marriott nights in 2018 would give me 75 Marriott nights and thereby give me the 10th year of Platinum status, thereby permitting me to qualify for the Lifetime Platinum Premier status. She emailed back in about 15 minutes to confirm that was true!

(7) I emailed her just an hour ago to ask if I could schedule a meeting to earn 10 elite qualifying nights later in 2018--since I've never hosted a meeting at any Marriott hotels thus far, despite having had several group blocks of rooms at Marriott hotels in 2018. This relates to the inconclusive issue about the new Event and Meetings T&C with the "first" meeting earning 10 EQN. She already emailed back to let me know she'll be looking into this and trying to get me an answer ASAP.

Pretty darn good if you ask me. Having an Ambassador has made this week reasonably painless for me.
phltraveler likes this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 4:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

I think the integration was likely contracted out. Someone said it was to Ernst and Young. If that's correct, the integration vendor won't be advertising this as a success ... at least in the short term! Lets hope it gets better but obviously some of these issues are a mess.

So amidst the chaos of the current merger/switchover between SPG/Marriott, I've had frequent contacts and responses from my Ambassador this week. Not too shabby for a period of time when the other vehicles are clogged/impossible to access!

(3) I copied her with email requests Tuesday I sent directly to the StR San Francisco for my stay over Labor Day weekend. She responded the next day to follow up with me and to thank my contact at the StR for handling my request.l

(4) I copied her with email Wed to follow up to the StR Florence for our stay in late Sept/early Oct--because I'd received a StR response in Italian! She followed up today to make sure this was handled.

Pretty darn good if you ask me. Having an Ambassador has made this week reasonably painless for me.
These all seem like helpful things to request from an Ambassador. I am curious, however, about the St.R SF and Florence requests. What did you ask for and how has the property responded?
Old Aug 23, 18, 5:39 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I think the integration was likely contracted out. Someone said it was to Ernst and Young. If that's correct, the integration vendor won't be advertising this as a success ... at least in the short term! Lets hope it gets better but obviously some of these issues are a mess.
As an end use customer, I could care less about whether it was done in house or if it was contracted out. I care only about the results. SPG got its IT house in order and handled these sort of things much better. There's a reason why the SPG app allows fingerprint access and the Marriott app doesn't on the iPad or my Android.

These all seem like helpful things to request from an Ambassador. I am curious, however, about the St.R SF and Florence requests. What did you ask for and how has the property responded?
I had asked the StR San Francisco about an upgrade (not needing my regular Metropolitan Suite upgrade since I'll be alone), hoping to save my Ambassador the trouble in such a busy week, as well as another email request for some special bar and dining accommodations. The StR responded that day by upgrading me to the same Metropolitan Suite anyway. The head concierge also responded today by getting us a VIP table at one of the hottest bars in the city (that usually requires a line) and arranging another special table for us at a nearby restaurant I love.

I had asked the StR Florence concierge to translate another response I previously had received that inadvertently was in Italian! I think it was from one of the Chianti wineries at which I'd asked for a special VIP tasting. I'm awaiting the response (hopefully in English this time LOL).
Old Aug 23, 18, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Until this hour, Marriott.co.uk listed me as platinum premier ambassador. Now, I'm platinum premier. Marriott.com doesn't work and hasn't worked, at least for me, for 24 hours.
The property recognized me as a platinum premier ambassador tonight so ... hmm.
Old Aug 24, 18, 3:21 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood LPP+A, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Premier Silver
I just found this thread. This is my first time qualifying for an ambassador. I noticed that during this merger, while the app did state LPP + A, it also sometimes said "5 Star." What does this mean?

I, too, have not been contacted by an ambassador yet, but hope to soon as I have an upcoming stay in a few hours from now . . .
Old Aug 24, 18, 6:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by sinfonia View Post
I just found this thread. This is my first time qualifying for an ambassador. I noticed that during this merger, while the app did state LPP + A, it also sometimes said "5 Star." What does this mean?

I, too, have not been contacted by an ambassador yet, but hope to soon as I have an upcoming stay in a few hours from now . . .
Five star is an invite only status with no published criteria. It was higher than Plat Premier in pre-merged legacy Marriott Rewards (where PP was an invite only status, but said to be extended to the top 2-3% of rewards members). Said to be given to hotel owners, "friends of Bill [Marriott]", and a small number of other people.

At least one other person on FT has reported seeing Five Star since the 08/18 merger - see this post.

See an earlier (pre-merger) discussion of Five Star status here.
Old Aug 24, 18, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by phltraveler View Post
Five star is an invite only status with no published criteria. It was higher than Plat Premier in pre-merged legacy Marriott Rewards (where PP was an invite only status, but said to be extended to the top 2-3% of rewards members). Said to be given to hotel owners, "friends of Bill [Marriott]", and a small number of other people.

At least one other person on FT has reported seeing Five Star since the 08/18 merger - see this post.

See an earlier (pre-merger) discussion of Five Star status here.

Five star is one of those things that if you don't know why you have it, its a mistake.

Since the 8/18, the apps and websites have changed my status several times, including yesterday. Currently, the Marriott app and website are showing my correct status (PPE+A) and the SPG app is showing PPE. Bottom line, I don't think MR is planning to give anyone a status different than what they have earned or has been published.
Old Aug 24, 18, 11:16 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott/SPG Amb, Hyatt Explorist
I called CS and asked about contacting ambassadors. They checked and told me nobody has been contacted yet and that will happen by the end of the month.
Old Aug 24, 18, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by getagb View Post
I called CS and asked about contacting ambassadors. They checked and told me nobody has been contacted yet and that will happen by the end of the month.
I'm assuming, however, that someone who had a fleeting status indicator on the app but doesn't qualify under the published rules will not be getting contacted.

It seems to me that there won't be a lot of people who suddenly qualified on August 18 under the new program.
Old Aug 24, 18, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott/SPG Amb, Hyatt Explorist
It seems to me that there won't be a lot of people who suddenly qualified on August 18 under the new program.
Why? Seems like there are many people (like myself) who exceed the spend requirement on the Marriott side but have never had an ambassador before.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 24, 18, 1:49 pm
Suspended

I checked into the Courtyard Marriott in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. Nice, new property with several nice suites and balconies. No recognition. I was given, according to the front desk, a "free upgrade" to a suite but the suite was on a very low floor. I turned it down and took a king-sized room on the top floor facing a quiet side of the property. The front desk claimed the other suites were blocked out and not available even though they admitted the guests hadn't checked in yet. I have a hard time believing there are any platinum premiers or platinum premier ambassadors staying here on a Friday evening.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Aug 24, 18 at 4:53 pm

Search this Thread