Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 22, 19, 4:14 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: bhrubin
Wiki Link
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 19, 18, 5:24 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by frenchft View Post
For Sheraton I would said I had in some not popular / international / easy to reach destination I had really king treatment. I was the first ambassador staying in some of those properties and was like a kind of local event )))
Similar experience here for a handful of Sheratons + Westins.
Old Aug 19, 18, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL PM 1 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT PM, Hilton DM
I just received Ambassador with the merger. I am a government worker who stays in hotels around 250 nights a year. I am not expecting much since all of my business stays are at Gov Rate. That is mostly Fairfield, Springhill and Marriott's. Trying to use Gov Rate makes it very hard to find high end hotels willing to give it. I will keep an open mind but like I said I am not expecting much from it, at least for when I stay for work.
Old Aug 19, 18, 5:50 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Richard Yu View Post
Lifetime Plat w/ Marriott and just got my Ambassador status there after the merger with SPG. New to this whole Ambassador business -- for you SPG-ers out there, what can an Ambassador help me with that the hotel concierge can't?
I've only had Ambassador this year and so far I can tell you absolutely nothing that a contact direct with the hotel would not have solved anyway. They just act act as messengers and half the time gave me wrong information.

I have had 3 to 4 stays in Cat 6 & 7 properties with no upgrades worth noting. I know that all perks and upgrades are subject to availability so I'm not blaming the Amb just saying that they haven't added any value. I continue to receive the same treatment that I did when I was Plat, Plat 50 or Plat 75
Old Aug 19, 18, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.5MM AC; MR LT PPE + AMB; Honors Diamond; Hyatt Globalist
I have to add that I've had ambassador status for a few years, and I've reached out for some of my more special stays, and they haven't added much value in terms of upgrade requests. I do tend to book personal stays with points, so maybe points stays receive less priority?
Old Aug 19, 18, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Discussion: Personal Ambassador for Platinum members with 100 nights
Old Aug 19, 18, 7:56 pm

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Had an Ambassador for a year. Well actually had two. Knowing the SPG system doesn't show automatically my Ambassador status, I pointed to my Ambassador that if they wanted to be amazing...my only request was to have the hotel know ahead my status.

Guess what, it has been a frustrating and useless service. Requesting my Ambassador to do something ahead with the property has mostly failed. I find it safer to contact directly the property ahead if I need something, way more efficient!!

They may try to change it all....but for me, no point of pushing to get there...truly sad! I've just gone without contact to my Ambassador, way easier!
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Aug 19, 18, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The new Marriott app finally worked for me today. I'm platinum premier ambassador for the remainder of this year and I'm only $2,000 short of qualifying for 2019. No email from Marriott.

My SPG nights and spend have not been factored into my room night count or spending county for 2018–present.
Old Aug 19, 18, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by frenchft View Post
To make it short : I'm very confident about SPG properties in EMEA and Asia, I even think we will get even better treatment as ambassador but I'm not confident at all with Marriott properties, they have (employees and management) a total different mindset and I think it will not change : inconsistent / win or lose at check in / useless arguments.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: A majority of properties in Asia–Pacific and the Middle East are managed by Marriott, unlike in North America where a majority of the properties are managed by third-party companies on behalf of a franchisee.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 19, 18, 8:46 pm

Programs: spg plat100 - lifetime gold / aa exec plat
i think the best thing that having ambassador status get me was having the front office staff of a resort destination make an exception for me when I needed to extend my stay because of a closure at the airport due to weather and the property was fully sold out - but that was done at the property and my ambassador had zero involvement in it.

in my experience an ambassador is best used to fix minor problems, like not getting a stay credited, or in my case, when I travel abroad my card provider likes to block international charges from going through unless I alert them, and when I book a prepaid rate it might get charged anywhere from right then, to months later when i travel. my ambassador can coordinate payment so it happens when the card company knows to expect charges from abroad.

sometimes I get little surprises from my ambassador - but watch out, at least once i was actually charged by the hotel for this little surprise treat.

I have never gotten any upgrades because of intervention from my ambassador that I know of...
Old Aug 20, 18, 12:32 am

I'm hoping they can just get me the correct points after a stay. That would be an actual help and worth the Ambassador status since I constantly have to call Marriott about missing points. The other day I just had the agent credit my account $25 for missing Fairfield Platinum arrival gift.
Old Aug 20, 18, 1:47 am

I wanted to see if this is possible. My assistant handles all of my travel. If I ever have a issue he calls and pretends he is me to cancel, adjust, make reservations, call to get missing stays posted ect. I guess my question is could I have my ambassador deal directly with my assistant instead of me?
Old Aug 20, 18, 2:18 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat Elite, Skywards Platinum, Flyingblue Gold
I used to have an ambassador in the old SPG times, a couple of years ago, and I found it very very useful: since I had had the same ambassador for several years, she knew all my travel preferences, the kind of room I liked, etc. She would call in advance to the hotels to make sure all my preferences were taken into account, and often times, she would manage to get me upgrades confirmed ahead of arrival.
Also, when I had an issue with the hotel, i would often drop an email/call to my ambassador that would deal with the hotel and try to solve it (eg. I remember once having a noisy room, asking for a change and the hotel would say they did not have any rooms. The ambassador would then talk to them and magically things would happen. Or another time, I was double charged for a room. My ambassador would follow-up for me until it was solved).

I had experience with two ambassadors, as the first one left SPG after some time. The second one was not as good, and I could clearly see he was much less effective than the first ambassador.

Overall, I found it quite useful, mostly as a way to save time and save me trouble, as I did not have to deal with issues directly. But also, I guess it is down to the particular person assigned as ambassador: some might be great, some might be average.
Old Aug 20, 18, 7:11 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott/SPG Amb, Hyatt Explorist
So… how do I contact my ambassador? Or am I supposed to wait for them to contact me?
Old Aug 20, 18, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; Marriott LTT; National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by getagb View Post
So… how do I contact my ambassador? Or am I supposed to wait for them to contact me?
My question exactly.
hockeyinsider likes this.
Old Aug 20, 18, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by getagb View Post
OOC - do you know for sure it has been earned, or is it something displayed on the web site that may or may not be correct?

(FWIW shows me having earned it through Jan 2020 even though I haven't made the requirements...)

Search this Thread