FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1906860-marriott-bonvoy-ambassador-elite-level-ambassador-experiences-master-thread.html)

ross123 Apr 30, 18 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 29699977)
I have been a PP for several years and a charter of the Marriott Ambassador program. I'm around 110 nights so far this year (with rollover) and haven't used my ambassador this year. I make my reservations on line and get suite upgrades 30-40 percent of the time. I used my ambassador last year a couple of times (get a person added to the res/prepay with a credit card/ask for help with a suite upgrade).

So ... I'm still trying to understand what I should be expecting.

For example, are people receiving benefits calling the ambassador to book the hotel rather than doing it online? Is the ambassador automatically sending strawberries and chocolate to your room when he/she sees your reservation? Do you get charged for that?

I have booked most of my travel myself - I need to book them via our company's corporate website. For personal travel I end up a 50-50. Most of my reward travel is through my Ambassador, and most of my paid travel is via the website to make sure i can find the right rate. if i think the rate is higher than I expect, I call my Ambassador who asks the questions to try to find the right rate. Above that, some of the info on the website is not as accurate as he has (lounge and hours, parking, any construction going on, any events at the hotel that will affect my stay, etc). if you have a channel of info, you should use it.

howtofreetravel Apr 30, 18 1:54 pm

I find I get a welcome gift wine or cheese in most SPG hotels as a regular platinum this is not a special ambassador benefit.

kaizen7 Apr 30, 18 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel (Post 29700169)
I find I get a welcome gift wine or cheese in most SPG hotels as a regular platinum this is not a special ambassador benefit.

I only got fruit platter and some chocolate or candy as PLT
And no suite upgrade yet :D

CPRich Apr 30, 18 5:02 pm

OP is certainly free to feel everyone else is wrong, and OP is right, but just so no one thinks it's all rainbows and unicorns, here's the other side of the experiences/opinions. (Mine are embedded in various of them)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...mbassador.html

HookEm Apr 30, 18 5:54 pm

The OP says that so far in 2018 she has stayed 106 nights at SPG hotels and 58 nights at Marriott, for a total of 164 hotel nights in 2018.
Today is April 30, which is the 120th day of 2018. So how do you have 164 hotel nights in 120 days? Sounds like neat trick! Maybe it’s a typo by the OP.

MSPeconomist Apr 30, 18 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by HookEm (Post 29700940)
The OP says that so far in 2018 she has stayed 106 nights at SPG hotels and 58 nights at Marriott, for a total of 164 hotel nights in 2018.
Today is April 30, which is the 120th day of 2018. So how do you have 164 hotel nights in 120 days? Sounds like neat trick! Maybe it’s a typo by the OP.

Maybe it's a lot of triple night credit for three rooms under the SPG program.

106/3 is about 35 actual Starwood nights, and 35 + 58 = 93 < 120, which is possible, but it illustrates how easy it is for some people to get lots of SPG nights when they travel with friends, relatives, colleagues, employees, etc. and can claim full credit for three rooms.

ADDED: I'm glad that this "feature" is being terminated in the new combined program.

bhrubin Apr 30, 18 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by HookEm (Post 29700940)

First, I’m a he. :D

Second, I’m actually now at 109 nights SPG. I organize and book groups as part of my business, so I can get credit for up to 3 rooms with SPG under my own name/account. I also earn 1 night credit for every 20 room nights consumed beyond those as part of the groups I book via SPG Pro (for event/meeting planners). I can get credit for up to 10 rooms with Marriott group travel, but I stay far more with SPG.

Third, I also have both SPG Amex and Business Amex (5 nights each) and both Marriott personal and business cards (15 nights each).

No typos or tricks.

FYI, I am at 46 actual nights with SPG personally, and another 7 actual nights with Marriott and RC personally year-to-date. I’d say 53 nights year to date personally shows how I easily hit 100 nights anyway. I’ll be leaving on Sunday for 13 nights in Japan—11 nights SPG between Luxury Collection and St Regis, and 2 nights with Ritz-Carlton.

While everyone claims the 3 nights elite credit for up to 3 rooms is somehow generous for SPG, let’s not forget that Marriott gives 10 nights elite credit for 10+ rooms or even for a meeting that costs as little as $100. Sorry, but I’m not crying about the loss of SPG’s 3 nights credit rule because Marriott already is far more generous with groups.

Also, it’s my company. My business. My spending. Every dime.

4getofn Apr 30, 18 6:33 pm

So ... At 100k spend and 109 nights your average room cost is $917 per night ... Nice job ...

bhrubin Apr 30, 18 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by 4getofn (Post 29701046)
So ... At 100k spend and 109 nights your average room cost is $917 per night ... Nice job ...

Remember that I book groups, also, and my group bookings are probably only between $150-200 per night on average.

My personal stays outside of my group tours are likely $400+ or more, on average, hard to say. I just stayed at the StR Atlanta for $500/night. My W Boston was only $233/night. My Ritz-Carlton Boston over Easter was about $600/night. My StR New York weekend in March was about $650/night.

Those are room rates only, of course. I spent over $4K in food/beverage at the StR New York because of Table 55.

4getofn Apr 30, 18 6:49 pm

<div style="text-align:left;"></div>

4getofn Apr 30, 18 6:50 pm

So how many actual BIB nights do you have if I might ask ?

bhrubin Apr 30, 18 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by 4getofn (Post 29701094)
So how many actual BIB nights do you have if I might ask ?

You missed it in my response: 53 thus far. About to leave Sunday for another 13 nights in Japan.

4getofn Apr 30, 18 7:00 pm

So is the 100k you have spent so far this year is for your 53 nights ? Still confused ..

bhrubin Apr 30, 18 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by 4getofn (Post 29701130)
So is the 100k you have spent so far this year is for your 53 nights ? Still confused ..

I book lots of groups into hotels as part of my business. I can book 20-25 rooms every night. The spending adds up fast, understandably. I was away for 7 of the last 9 weeks for my business, mostly with groups. Even for some weeks when I wasn’t away, I still had groups booked for weeks at a time.

It was because of the amazing benefits that SPG offers that I chose to always put my groups in SPG hotels as much as possible. When there wasn’t an SPG option, I’d use Hilton or Marriott. Once Marriott acquired Starwood, I basically always chose SPG or Marriott.

Please understand that regardless of my groups, my personal BIB 53 nights already has surpassed $20K.

kennycrudup Apr 30, 18 7:18 pm

OMG already, this guy! FWIW (and this is just me):

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29699689)
If you stay most often at Marriott and Sheraton and Four Points level hotels, not only will one likely have a tougher time reaching the $20K minimum, those hotels also don't execute special requests as well as hotels with better records for individualized service.

I made LTP (4.1M/2.1K) from ~4.5 years of BiB only (i.e., no MR card nor meetings, etc.) in a lot of FI/CY, so it's possible- but I did in the SFBA where rates are just as ridiculous as the house prices here (want a laugh? Pull up FI rates anywhere within 30 mi of SF for the week of May 7th '18) and on my own dime.

But all I ever need out of a hotel is a bigger room or perhaps better view, even if it's just for one day. I don't need someone kissing my A (hell, I'd prefer if they don't even greet me when I come in the door in the evenings; I already feel great about myself and don't expect them to cater to me, unless it's about fixing gross errors) or anything like that- just give me the best room you can spare (which I don't mind asking for, which turns out to be fairly effective with MR) and maybe a couple of drink chits; I might eat their breakfast 1 or 2 days a month and couldn't care less about that. In that time with MR though I've had a bottle here and a Presidential suite on a $99/nt rate there, and it was a nice perk; made me happy.

I shopped for price and availability when I was doing my weekly commute, and that meant the MR properties vs. the SPG ones with rare exceptions (I have ~150 SPG nights over the last 10 years) and MR made me PP for three years and LTP for that, and frankly, I'm quite happy with that. So you'll have to forgive me if I now start to lay my unkissed a-se in your SPG properties' sheets more often, but at the end of the day, it's just a freakin' bed.