Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 2, 20, 9:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: HHQX888
Wiki Link
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 12, 18, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post

all my work stays are reimbursed by clients so nothing comes out of my pocket....depending on different clients, i am typically allowed anywhere between $350 - $500 to spend on a room per night so i can book enhanced rooms if i want....however, i don't feel it is ethical to have my clients spend more just so i can get a higher status with a loyalty program....

i was surprised to get an invitation when the ambassador program first started on an invitation only basis in 2011 & i would be even more surprised to get one now....if i was a few hundred $ short of the requirement then i may consider spending that to get the your24 benefit....anything more than that & i'll just pass....
Agreed on the ethics point.

And, as a legacy Marriott Plat Premier, I've never had an issue contacting the property and getting an early check-in, so I'm not seeing any particular value proposition for the Your24 benefit that would make it worth spending much of anything. Of course, I am aware that in parts of the world, lots of flights arrive early morning and there are hotels that make money by charging for early check-in.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 12, 18, 12:30 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
it is possible that, with the Your24 being restricted to only Ambassador elites, the Your24 benefit may be better executed than it is currently under SPG. It's hard to say, but it seems there will be fewer people (proportionally) eligible for Your24 in the new Loyalty Program, perhaps making it easier to better execute and/or more likely to make it possible than has been true previously in SPG.

It will be interesting to see how the data points on the Ambassador-only Your24 benefit may differ or remain consistent in the new Loyalty Program.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 12, 18, 12:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
it is possible that, with the Your24 being restricted to only Ambassador elites, the Your24 benefit may be better executed than it is currently under SPG. It's hard to say, but it seems there will be fewer people (proportionally) eligible for Your24 in the new Loyalty Program, perhaps making it easier to better execute and/or more likely to make it possible than has been true previously in SPG.

It will be interesting to see how the data points on the Ambassador-only Your24 benefit may differ or remain consistent in the new Loyalty Program.
Without getting into a debate over the comparative benefits of the legacy program ... I'm curious how the legacy SPG Your24 program provided better value that my experiences ...

For example, when I have a reservation in Santiago, they email me to ask if I am flying in from the US and will need a room ready when I arrive. When I fly into London, I'll usually just call on arrival but they've always made the room ready.

Seems like the only advantage to the legacy (and new) Your24 benefit is that I can confirm earlier before I arrive? Am I missing anything?
Old Aug 12, 18, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
And .. there is a missing link to the general ambassador services on should expect.
The page I saw on it didn't seem to list anything that isn't already also listed on members.marriott.com, so I'm wondering what explicitly defined benefits a PPE w/ Ambassador could expect over the Your24 & Ambassador service over PPE w/o ambassador... (I do see the section you're talking about in the new T&Cs, that section 5.8 mentioned in the PPE w/ ambassador section doesn't actually exist).

C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 12, 18, 3:32 pm

[QUOTE=phltraveler;30074890]The page I saw on it didn't seem to list anything that isn't already also listed on members.marriott.com, so I'm wondering what explicitly defined benefits a PPE w/ Ambassador could expect over the Your24 & Ambassador service over PPE w/o ambassador... (I do see the section you're talking about in the new T&Cs, that section 5.8 mentioned in the PPE w/ ambassador section doesn't actually exist).

/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Curious as well.

On the legacy Marriott ambassador page its:

"4. What types of services can I expect from my ambassador?
a. 1:1 access to a personal Marriott Rewards contact
b. Assistance before, during and outside a stay with reserving on-property
services like spa, restaurant and golf
c. Scheduling ground transportation to and from the property
d. Enhanced recognition on property "

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...ncierge-faq.mi

On the legacy SPG Ambassador page its ..

"The more your ambassador gets to know you over time, the more he or she can provide the personal touches that make each trip special. Whether it’s an early arrival, shopping, a meeting venue or a restaurant for a client dinner, your ambassador will scope out the local scene to find the best your destination has to offer."

https://www.spgpromos.com/ambassador/

I suspect it will be something like that when the linkage is built in to the new T&C.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 12, 18, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Without getting into a debate over the comparative benefits of the legacy program ... I'm curious how the legacy SPG Your24 program provided better value that my experiences ...

For example, when I have a reservation in Santiago, they email me to ask if I am flying in from the US and will need a room ready when I arrive. When I fly into London, I'll usually just call on arrival but they've always made the room ready.

Seems like the only advantage to the legacy (and new) Your24 benefit is that I can confirm earlier before I arrive? Am I missing anything?
I see this as a downgrade, honestly. Like you, whenever I have a special request (like to get a room significantly before check-in time) I simply call the hotel and I've had tremendous success over the years. Now it sounds like you have to submit a formal Your24 request that the hotel can (seemingly) easily reject.

As several of us have said previously, the real value in being a Marriott elite wasn't necessarily in the published benefits (although those were much more consistently applied than in any other program I've been a part of). Instead, Marriott properties by and large go above and beyond the "letter of the law" to take care of their truly loyal guests.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 12, 18, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
As several of us have said previously, the real value in being a Marriott elite wasn't necessarily in the published benefits (although those were much more consistently applied than in any other program I've been a part of). Instead, Marriott properties by and large go above and beyond the "letter of the law" to take care of their truly loyal guests.
I have always thought of the SPG benefits as a floor vs. a ceiling. Just because only standard suites were the policy doesn't mean better suites wouldn't be given; just because 4pm was the checkout guarantee doesn't mean 6pm wouldn't be given.

So while Y24 didn't always work (and even times when it failed, I still was able to check-in early), it again was a form of a guarantee or advance benefit (similar to a SNA) that was nice to have.
MSPeconomist and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 12, 18, 9:40 pm
Marriott 25+ BadgeHyatt 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; Marriott AMB; Hyatt Glob; Accor Dia; GHA Black; SLH Ind
all my work stays are reimbursed by clients so nothing comes out of my pocket....depending on different clients, i am typically allowed anywhere between $350 - $500 to spend on a room per night so i can book enhanced rooms if i want....however, i don't feel it is ethical to have my clients spend more just so i can get a higher status with a loyalty program....

I am not sure if some of your BRGs are for work stays or not. If so, then I would say the following. If I was your client, I would highly appreciate your honesty and ethics when you do not book premium rooms on my dime. However, if you made no use of BRGs when you visit me, I would certainly not blame you for it. Booking the cheapest rate on SPG.com or Marriott.com would be acceptable in my book.

So if you cut down on BRG usage, I think you remain within the bounds of reasonableness for your clients and then $20k might be attainable. Heck for your clients there would possibly even be side benefits if you have an ambassador when you visit clients, than if you don't have an ambassador.
Old Aug 12, 18, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
I have always thought of the SPG benefits as a floor vs. a ceiling. Just because only standard suites were the policy doesn't mean better suites wouldn't be given; just because 4pm was the checkout guarantee doesn't mean 6pm wouldn't be given.

So while Y24 didn't always work (and even times when it failed, I still was able to check-in early), it again was a form of a guarantee or advance benefit (similar to a SNA) that was nice to have.
The experience you described matches what others here on FT have said, but my personal experience with SPG was awful. Even as a plat (back when they didn't have all the levels of plat), most properties I stayed at weaseled out of the base benefits even when I pushed. Unlike you, the SPG benefits were not even a floor on my stays, they were a "guideline" that individual properties routinely ignored.
Old Aug 12, 18, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Agreed on the ethics point.

And, as a legacy Marriott Plat Premier, I've never had an issue contacting the property and getting an early check-in, so I'm not seeing any particular value proposition for the Your24 benefit that would make it worth spending much of anything. Of course, I am aware that in parts of the world, lots of flights arrive early morning and there are hotels that make money by charging for early check-in.
it's not early check-ins that are a problem....i get those in any case....it's the late check-outs that make this benefit worthwhile....my flights typically arrive in the evening & i fly out in the evenings as well when i leave....i've lost count of the number of times i have used your24 to retain the room till 9pm or even as late as midnight....that has been of great value to me....
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 12, 18, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
I am not sure if some of your BRGs are for work stays or not. If so, then I would say the following. If I was your client, I would highly appreciate your honesty and ethics when you do not book premium rooms on my dime. However, if you made no use of BRGs when you visit me, I would certainly not blame you for it. Booking the cheapest rate on SPG.com or Marriott.com would be acceptable in my book.

So if you cut down on BRG usage, I think you remain within the bounds of reasonableness for your clients and then $20k might be attainable. Heck for your clients there would possibly even be side benefits if you have an ambassador when you visit clients, than if you don't have an ambassador.
all my paid personal stays are brg stays....most of my work stays are too....you are probably right, i may make the $20k spend requirement if it was not for my brgs....but then i guess it comes down to what i value more, the many thousands of points the brg gets me or an ambassador....having had different ambassadors for 6 years, i would not go out of my way to retain one again....i definitely think i value the points more....

at this point in time i'm not willing to change my booking & stay patterns because i don't know what the ambassador service will be like once marriott completely takes over....if it remains the same as it was with spg then it was pretty underwhelming for me, except for the experience i had with my first ambassador who i had for the first couple of years of the service....since there is no guarantee i would get another ambassador like that i don't see the value of giving up thousands of points that i can earn through brgs....
Old Aug 12, 18, 11:12 pm

it's not early check-ins that are a problem....i get those in any case....it's the late check-outs that make this benefit worthwhile....my flights typically arrive in the evening & i fly out in the evenings as well when i leave....i've lost count of the number of times i have used your24 to retain the room till 9pm or even as late as midnight....that has been of great value to me....
Thanks. I had not thought about a 10 PM to 10 PM stay and will keep that in mind.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 13, 18, 10:33 am

Are they combining Marriott and SPG nights to count he 100 for next year’s level?
I am at around 80 nights with SPG and 40ish with Marriott. My stats rest of year will be with Marriott.
Would I be at the Ambassador level next year? Probably won’t get to 100 with SPG this year. I am already a lifetime MR Platinum now.
Old Aug 13, 18, 10:40 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Commie View Post
Are they combining Marriott and SPG nights to count he 100 for next year’s level?
I am at around 80 nights with SPG and 40ish with Marriott. My stats rest of year will be with Marriott.
Would I be at the Ambassador level next year? Probably won’t get to 100 with SPG this year. I am already a lifetime MR Platinum now.
As previously stated, your nights will be combined...but combined Marriott with SPG nights also requires the minimum $20K spending to qualify for Ambassador status. Only if you reach 100 nights only with legacy SPG hotels in 2018 do you not need the $20K spending. But 2018 is the last year that SPG 100 nights without $20K spend will qualify.
Old Aug 13, 18, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Commie View Post
If you already have 80 nights at SPG, I'd think about just trying to get the other 20 with SPG. Of course, it doesn't matter if you're confident you will meet the 20k spend requirement as the nights do combine.

I'm almost at 100 actual nights for the year with 75 Marriott/25 SPG but am wondering how the SPG spend will come over. Then again, I suppose I'll find out in a week or so!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: