Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 2, 20, 9:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: HHQX888
Wiki Link
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 10, 18, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by damon88 View Post
Interesting comments from Arne on the Ambassador program:

When asked about the value of these elite or frequent travelers bring to Marriott, Sorenson said that offering them benefits such as an Ambassador program, or personal concierge service, is definitely worthwhile for the company.

“We love those elite folks and the Ambassador program we’ve expanded into the Marriott side of the equation, too, because we think it is exactly the right kind of step for these most valuable customers,” Sorenson said.

https://skift.com/2018/08/07/marriot...rs-after-deal/
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
I think that you've misunderstood what the Ambassador programme is.
Well ... I think its all a little unclear what the Ambassador programme is, but I think the personal concierge service term used by Arne seems to capture a bit of the concept. Unfortunately, I'm just not sure I understand the value proposition for me of a personal concierge, although it has certainly saved me some time this month. Generally, my sense is that benefits/perks for those who stay more than 100 nights will be decreasing.

While most of my travel is work related, I've just returned from Europe for a fun trip and used my ambassador for two of my three Starriott stays. Additionally, on a separate issue, a hotel didn't add my 500 bonus points and she quickly updated that.

Stay 1: Legacy SPG Luxury Collection in a major European city (Grand Bretagne)

Thanks to comments by an earlier poster, I learned that ambassadors could provide assistance across legacy programs so I asked my ambassador to confirm with the hotel that I would be arriving around 2 AM and to ask for priority consideration for an upgrade, She quickly did both as requested. I was also curious since there seems to be a suggestion that one can't truly understand the value of the ambassador program unless staying in a LC or StR. When I arrived at the hotel to check in, the FD agent quickly checked me in, commented that my ambassador had confirmed the 2 AM arrival, and thanked me for my loyalty. He also informed me no upgrades were available. That was the extent of my ambassador experience at the property. The bellman was certainly not expecting me, I didn't get seating any faster at the restaurant or better seating, the housekeeping staff appeared to treat my room as any other, no one seemed to recognize me. etc. That doesn't mean service was bad -- it's just that I was treated as any other guest (which was absolutely fine with me). On the downside, when I asked for a 4 PM checkout (which I thought was guaranteed), I was told 1 was the best they could do. I pushed and got 2. Unfortunately, since I needed to head to the airport at 4 this created a bit of a quandary and we decided to just checkout.

Verdict: Nice property and I'll return. Value of having an ambassador at this Luxury Collection: practically none. Compliance with program rules: would not provide late checkout and I'm fairly confident someone was upgraded at this property and wouldn't think there were to many people with ambassadors but it wasn't me this time. And to be clear ... on check-in they specifically referenced that my ambassador had contacted the property so I don't think they were treating me any differently because it was a Marriott ambassador.

Stay 2: Legacy Marriott Autograph Property (Domes Chania)

My ambassador contacted the property to ask for priority for an upgrade but told me the property was fully booked so I shouldn't be too optimistic. When I arrived, they thanked me for being a Plat Premier and apologized that no upgrades were available (still .. someone must have been upgraded ...). In our room, we had a bottle of wine and a fruit platter along with a handwritten note on a black card that had ambassador on the front thanking me for staying. Of course, I think the hotel gives all guests a bottle of wine upon arrival. This is a very nice property and would certainly fit at the level of the LC. Again, after arriving, there was no special treatment ... drinks at the pool and beach came when I ordered them, we waited for a table at the restaurant in order of the time we got there, etc.

Verdict: Nice property and I'll return. Value of having an ambassador at this expensive resort property: practically none beyond a fruit platter.

Stay 3: Legacy Marriott property: (Marriott Marquis Doha).

I did not request assistance from my ambassador with this property and was on a very cheap rate. However, before I arrived, I noticed I had been pre-upgraded to a suite. When I arrived, the FD agent welcomed me back, thanked me for being a Plat Premier, thanked me for returning to the property, and made no reference to ambassador status (if that's what it is). When we came to our room, we had a nice fruit platter and handwritten note. After that, everything else was pretty normal.

Verdict: Nice property and I'll return. Value of having an ambassador at this property: N/A. Value of having an engaged General Manager at the property: very high.

Bottom line -- it's certainly helpful to have a "concierge" who I can email to deal with a 2 AM arrival in Greece but beyond that I received minimal benefit from the ambassador program at two expensive properties -- one LC and one Autograph. In fact, at one of the properties (the LC), they refused to provide a published benefit of a 4 PM checkout and I didn't feel like escalating it any further. Frankly, this is the first extended holiday over a very busy year with 92 actual nights YTD at Starriott properties and I was hopeful the properties would make sure I had the best rooms available. Alas, its Europe in August, so I wasn't to surprised.
swintec likes this.
Old Aug 10, 18, 1:06 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks for the data points, @C17PSGR. Those were illuminating and useful--both for purposes of this discussion and to just get a general sense of what you liked/didn't like about those particular properties.

I am disappointed to hear that the Grand Bretagne didn't provide you with 4 pm late checkout, as that is a guaranteed benefit for any Platinum. The few times I've not had 4 pm late checkout provided when asked, I always have pressed for a manager--and always have been granted the 4 pm late checkout along with some appropriate amenity for the time and trouble to get what should have been provided in the first place. I might encourage you to do the same in the future, too. A simple call to SPG/Marriott or the manager on duty usually takes care of it once they realize you know you are guaranteed that benefit.

I've repeatedly found that Ambassador benefits/perks are only as good as the Ambassador requesting them AND more often the hotel executing them. I'm surprised that the Grand Bretagne didn't have any welcome amenity and/or note from your Ambassador or the GM--but that also could reflect a difference between the current Marriott ambassador and SPG Ambassador programs. We'll have to see how that works out for the new loyalty program Ambassador service after Aug. 18. That also might be due to you being there during the summer high season!

I've suggested in the past that luxury hotels allow for a better chance for suite upgrades because luxury hotels most often have a higher proportion of suites compared to other categories of hotels. That being said, if the hotel is full up and/or people are paying for the suites, it doesn't help!

I frequently remind everyone that Ambassador service (and luxury hotel service and upgrade chances in general) is always better when the hotels are not at higher occupancy periods--because the hotels better execute all service and have higher chances to upgrade when not at high occupancy. Your visits during summer high season almost certainly reflect that. Even a fellow luxury forum pro, @MacMyDay, noticed how vastly different the service was at his favorite Park Hotel Vitznau (Switzerland) between shoulder season in April and high season in July; though he loves the hotel, he conceded that service during the summer high season was atrocious compared to how marvelous it was in April shoulder season. The same is just as true for Ambassador service execution and luxury hotel service and upgrades, in general, I've found. No matter how good a luxury hotel may be, it rarely is as good when it's full up.

Everyone assumes that my tremendous Ambassador experiences are mostly because I've spent so much money with SPG. I've repeatedly insisted that those experiences are just as likely because I avoid high season at all costs. My leisure visits to most (luxury) hotels are almost always in shoulder or lower occupancy seasons, allowing a much higher chance for the hotels to better execute any Ambassador requests, including special treatment, better suite upgrades, more recognition, better welcome amenities, etc.

Even my one very rare St Regis San Francisco summer stay this past July 1-4 was during a very low occupancy period for the hotel--which is one of the reasons I decided to stay then. When room rates are a mere $350 or so, you know it's not a high occupancy at that hotel.
Old Aug 10, 18, 2:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Tit, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
I'd also remember that requesting a "priority upgrade" is a zero sum game. Just saying on many trips that you want a better room to other people isn't an especially practical request to your Ambassador.

On the Grande Bretagne, it's odd that C17PSGR was apparently checked in downstairs? Platinums as a general rule are always invited upstairs to the Butler reception. This time of year they are very full of Americans touring Santorini and Mikonos, but even so I've been there quite a few times in peak season and never had an issue.
Old Aug 10, 18, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
Bottom line -- it's certainly helpful to have a "concierge" who I can email to deal with a 2 AM arrival in Greece
Were you checking in at 2am the day of your stay (i.e., 3pm prior day) or the day after (later that calendar day, i.e., 13 hours later)?
Old Aug 10, 18, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Were you checking in at 2am the day of your stay (i.e., 3pm prior day) or the day after (later that calendar day, i.e., 13 hours later)?
I was checking in at 2 am the night of my stay ... i.e., a paid overnight. I only asked for assistance because I didn't want to risk being walked during busy season because I arrived after midnight. This was not a request to check in several hours early.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
I'd also remember that requesting a "priority upgrade" is a zero sum game. Just saying on many trips that you want a better room to other people isn't an especially practical request to your Ambassador.

On the Grande Bretagne, it's odd that C17PSGR was apparently checked in downstairs? Platinums as a general rule are always invited upstairs to the Butler reception. This time of year they are very full of Americans touring Santorini and Mikonos, but even so I've been there quite a few times in peak season and never had an issue.
Agreed, that the hotel seemed to be fairly full -- although there seemed to be many in groups associated with cruises based on breakfast and in the lobby (signs for cruise organizers all over).

And there was no mention of a butler level check in (or butler service). Simply a reference at check in that they saw my ambassador had called to confirm the late check in. Of course, I can't imagine that the property distinguished between the fact it was a Marriott vs. SPG ambassador that called.

I certainly get the zero sum game point. I realize that very specific requests seem to be consistent with the "personal concierge" concept for ambassadors such as help with points posting, a late arrival, a complicated reservation, recognition of a birthday/anniversary/etc. I have 90+ actual nights and 80+ stays YTD but have only asked for assistance from my ambassador with upgrades a couple of times.

Obviously, its helpful to others to understand more about what people are requesting so we can all get ideas on what requests are practical.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Aug 11, 18 at 12:29 am
Old Aug 11, 18, 12:37 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

It appears that the newly leaked Marriott Loyalty Program terms and conditions include the following minimal terms for the Ambassador service qualified spending threshold of $20K (bolding mine):

1. 4.3.e. Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador Membership Benefits. In addition to all of the benefits Platinum Premier Elite Members receive, Elite Members who reach 100 nights and $20,000 U.S. dollars in qualifying spend annually are eligible to receive the following benefits:
  2. i. Ambassador Service. A Member is eligible to participate in the ambassador service during an Eligible Status Year and continue through the subsequent calendar year. The ambassador service is a benefit that permits an eligible Member to receive certain additional benefits as further described [id=8]here[id].
  3. ii. Your24TM. Platinum Premier Elite with ambassador Members are eligible to participate in Your24 during the Eligible Status Year and to continue through the subsequent calendar year. Your24 is a benefit that permits an eligible Member to request a specific check-in time for any upcoming stay at any Participating Property. If the requested check-in time is confirmed, the check-out time will be set for the same time on the day of departure.
  4. A. Your24 benefits may be requested when an eligible Platinum Premier Elite Member with ambassador Member requests a specific check-in time and check-out time for a stay through their ambassador. Your24 benefits may also be requested by an eligible Platinum Premier Elite Member with ambassador service for an upcoming stay at any time prior to 3 p.m. (local time of the Participating Property) two (2) days prior to arrival for such stay by contacting his/her ambassador. If a request for Your24 benefits is approved, your ambassador will connect with you confirming the check-in and check-out times.
  5. B. Your24 benefits are subject to availability and may only be requested in connection with a stay.
  6. C. Your24 benefits are limited to one (1) room per eligible Member per stay regardless of how many rooms have been reserved.
  7. D. If the check-in time approved for a Platinum Premier Elite Member with ambassador service is between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. (local time of the Participating Property) he/she may request the Platinum Premier Elite benefit of late checkout.
  8. E. If the specific room type reserved by an eligible Member is not available upon check-in, the Participating Property will honor the confirmed Your24 request by temporarily providing another room and then moving the applicable guest(s) to the reserved room type once available.
  9. F. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Design HotelsTM and participating Vistana properties do not provide Your24 benefits.
Note that nowhere does it specify what is meant by qualified spend. Note that no other benefits other than Your24 are specifically outlined in these terms. Marriott isn't outlining any other specific benefits presumably so that it can avoid any complaint that ambassador service isn't doing what it's supposed to do.

However, there is information earlier in the terms and conditions which refer to "qualifying charges" and "non-qualifying charges"; I expect that the qualifying charges count as eligible spent towards the $20K threshold.

1. 2.1.b. Qualifying Charges. “Qualifying Charges” are:
  2. i. Charges incurred during a stay in a guest room at a Participating Property by a Member on his/her folio and up to two (2) additional guest rooms, including, without limitation, charges for:
  3. A. Qualifying Rates for Stays;
  4. B. Food and beverages (excluding alcoholic beverages where prohibited by law) and excluding charges incurred at restaurants that are not located within or adjacent to Participating Properties;
  5. C. Direct-dialed in-room telephone and direct-dialed in-room fax;
  6. D. In-room movies and video games;
  7. provided the Member provides his/her Membership Number at the time of reservation or at check-in, stays in one of the reserved guest rooms, and pays for the charges; or
  8. ii. Charges incurred by the Member, without a stay in a guest room, for food and beverage (excluding alcoholic beverage where prohibited by law) at restaurants located within or adjacent to Participating Properties if:
  9. A. The restaurant permits guests to charge food and beverages on their folios;
  10. B. The charges are greater than $10 U.S. dollars (excluding taxes, service charges, and gratuities);
  11. C. The food and beverages are not in connection with a banquet, meeting or other function that is excluded from Qualifying Charges as provided in Section 2.1.b. and provided the Member provides his/her Membership Number at the time of payment. Elite bonus Points will not be awarded on charges incurred by the Member without a stay in a guest room under Section 2.1.b(ii).
  12. 2.1.c. Non-Qualifying Charges. Charges which do not qualify for Points include any complimentary services, Points redemption Awards, promotional Awards or any other fees or charges including, without limitation: (A) charges for banquets, meetings or other functions, with the exception of Points earned in connection with a Qualifying Event Agreement; (B) other fees paid including, without limitation, parking, business center, retail stores, and other third-party services; and (C) taxes, service charges, gratuities, fees (e.g. late cancellation fee or no-show fees for not checking in for guaranteed reservations even if the reservations were paid in full) , mandatory or automatic charges (e.g., resort charges) and other applicable charges.
I'd say that qualifying charges seem to include exactly what most or us expected them to include. Interesting, spa service aren't listed as qualifying or non-qualifying, so that distinction may yet be of importance to many people!

Finally, and most interestingly, it seems that Marriott has allowed invitations to Ambassador service to continue even for those who don't qualify based on both 100 elite nights and the $20K qualifying spend (bolding mine):

1. 4.1.a. Elite membership is an exclusive privilege of Loyalty Program Membership. All Program Rules apply to Elite membership. The Loyalty Program has the right to terminate the Elite recognition program (the “Elite Program” or the “Elite Membership Program”) at any time by providing advance notice to Members in accordance with section 1.7.d. The Loyalty Program has the right to change, limit, modify or cancel the Program Rules for the Elite Program at any time, with or without notice, pursuant to section 1.7.c. Participating Properties outside the United States may provide alternative services and benefits to the Elite membership benefits set forth in these Program Rules, depending on local law and policy. The ambassador service is a benefit of the Loyalty Program available to select Loyalty Program Platinum Premier Elite Members exclusively by invitation or by meeting the requirements outlined in section 4.2.b. Participation in the ambassador service will be evaluated on an annual basis.
This seems a very sneaky and yet prudent move by Marriott. This permits Marriott to still invite members who may stay many more nights than 100 but do not hit the $20K threshold. This also permits Marriott to still invite members who may spend a lot but don't hit the 100 elite nights.
Old Aug 11, 18, 1:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold
Interesting found on that ambassador invitation part.

I guess MR dont want to lose peoples who stay mostly in higher cat room/suites even if they dont hit 100 nights (suites stayers will be able to reach 20k spending easily if they travel regularly)
Old Aug 11, 18, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I'm going to be pretty disappointed if my $250,000 in event spending doesn't get me ambassador status.
Old Aug 12, 18, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i'll probably end the year with about 175+ (25 through credit cards, 25 reward & the rest paid) combined nights but might not reach the $20k spend threshold....can't help it if the majority of places i travel to have spg/marriott properties in the $100 - $150 range....i don't care much about the ambassador service but i will be sad to lose the your24 benefit....in my opinion that was one of the best benefits of the program....
Old Aug 12, 18, 5:58 am
Marriott 25+ BadgeHyatt 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; Marriott AMB; Hyatt Glob; Accor Dia; GHA Black; SLH Ind
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
This seems a very sneaky and yet prudent move by Marriott. This permits Marriott to still invite members who may stay many more nights than 100 but do not hit the $20K threshold. This also permits Marriott to still invite members who may spend a lot but don't hit the 100 elite nights.
Smart move. They keep their options open - sometimes human judgment of who should get the benefit is better than a mechanical formula such as 100/20k.

I think it's in Marriott's best interest to give the ambassador service to customers who might only stay 20 nights per year but spend $2k per night for a total of $40k. Given the limited number of nights, it won't even overburden an ambassador the way a customer with 150 nights at $100-200 per night would, like me.
Old Aug 12, 18, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM 4.4 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
I am hopeful that my ~3100 nights and 9mm points will allow me to keep the amdassador a few years into retirement. The $20K spend I think I can lock up. It would also be nice if they could provide our total spend sometime in August.
C17PSGR and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 12, 18, 10:06 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
Originally Posted by hnewman View Post
It would also be nice if they could provide our total spend sometime in August.

Starting in August (after programs merge) once you reach 50 nights, a counter will appear in your loyalty account showing qualifying spend.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 12, 18, 10:24 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
i'll probably end the year with about 175+ (25 through credit cards, 25 reward & the rest paid) combined nights but might not reach the $20k spend threshold....can't help it if the majority of places i travel to have spg/marriott properties in the $100 - $150 range....i don't care much about the ambassador service but i will be sad to lose the your24 benefit....in my opinion that was one of the best benefits of the program....
Have you considered staying in enhanced rather than entry level rooms in order to possibly ensure hitting the $20K threshold? It’s always easier to spend more on any hotel night than to create more hotel nights in the first place.

I have a feeling that someone in your shoes wouldn’t be getting the invitation. That being said, I’m not sure that someone in your shoes would think it worthwhile to spend more only to get the Your24 benefit—or am I incorrect in that guess?
Old Aug 12, 18, 10:31 am

The spend requirement seems consistent with what my ambassador told me recently ... if it is on the folio it counts but for some bizarre reason resort/destination fees don't! It's helpful to have clarity that the existing F&B practice will continue and I'm assuming spa and similar charges will count even if not expressly listed.

As for the your24 benefit, I'm OK with how its spelled out. I just don't see it as a significant benefit ... Marriott hasn't had this express benefit before but I've asked for three 8 AM type check-in in the past few weeks and was given it every time.

I think this also makes clear that those with ambassadors won't be treated as being at a separate level and will be competing for upgrades with Plat Premiers. That seems consistent with the Marriott approach of having the M0 code at the end of the guest information data.

And .. there is a missing link to the general ambassador services on should expect.
Old Aug 12, 18, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Have you considered staying in enhanced rather than entry level rooms in order to possibly ensure hitting the $20K threshold? It’s always easier to spend more on any hotel night than to create more hotel nights in the first place.

all my work stays are reimbursed by clients so nothing comes out of my pocket....depending on different clients, i am typically allowed anywhere between $350 - $500 to spend on a room per night so i can book enhanced rooms if i want....however, i don't feel it is ethical to have my clients spend more just so i can get a higher status with a loyalty program....

I have a feeling that someone in your shoes wouldn’t be getting the invitation. That being said, I’m not sure that someone in your shoes would think it worthwhile to spend more only to get the Your24 benefit—or am I incorrect in that guess?
i was surprised to get an invitation when the ambassador program first started on an invitation only basis in 2011 & i would be even more surprised to get one now....if i was a few hundred $ short of the requirement then i may consider spending that to get the your24 benefit....anything more than that & i'll just pass....
C17PSGR, MSPeconomist and bhrubin like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: