Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:59 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
consciously decided to avoid them for the last few months

Last year I had 4 months in the South Pacific which was mainly local homestay/ non-chain plus 3 months at home and 3 months at an AirBnB in Paris/ Chisinau - so a lot less normal hotel stays than usual.
Ah! Makes sense now... During normal years, even if I was trying to avoid Marriott in many cities I would find it difficult to stay below 100 nights, but with several months in independent hotels, it makes a difference indeed.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They announced it two days ago, even for most programs with good infrastructure that would be quite quick to get it pushed out. And for Marriott, they will probably need a "few" days extra.
It's not uncommon for programs to not show an extension beyond the current program year. UA being a prime example. They could extend your status for 10 years, and it would still show on all systems as Jan. 31, 2021.

I'm therefore actually surprised Marriott has updated my status as showing through February 2022.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not uncommon for programs to not show an extension beyond the current program year. UA being a prime example. They could extend your status for 10 years, and it would still show on all systems as Jan. 31, 2021.

I'm therefore actually surprised Marriott has updated my status as showing through February 2022.
My UA 2019 challenge to Premiere Platinum is showing extended through January 31st 2022.

James
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:14 am

Where do you find your "account page" on Marriott? I"m not finding this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by MGJ2727
Where do you find your "account page" on Marriott? I"m not finding this.
On the website, log in, click on the human like icon in the upper right hand corner, click overview. On the app, log in, click on account.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Just as an anecdotal point of information, I am currently staying in a Delta hotel, Category 4. I have been here about 2 weeks so they know me at the front desk since most people are only 1 or 2 nights. I was chatting today with the cute front desk lady and asked her a few questions. I am merely at Gold level and about to hit platinum. They have upgraded me to their one bedroom suites for every night of my stay (except the first night), even though I am only at Gold level and paying a mere $49 per night that I grabbed during the virus collapse in occupancy.

I asked how many Platinums, Titaniums and Ambassadors she typically sees checking in. I figured it would be a low number since my Gold level account was getting upgraded to one of their few suites (she said they have only 4 of 237 rooms). I was surprised when she said almost half of their guests are Platinum or Titanium. She said Platinum is extremely common, maybe 30% of guests. Titanium she was estimating at about 10% of guests. She said Ambassador Elite is rare, but she sees 1 or 2 per week, and that is her anecdotal info for her shifts.

This Delta hotel is near Disney World and also has some airline staff contracts, so they regularly get airline people who probably all hit the Platinum or Titanium level at multiple different loyalty programs.

I asked her why I was getting upgraded to one of their suites when there are so many people with higher Elite status than me. She said it was based on number of nights and because I asked. When the manager saw that I had 20 nights (all at $49 each) booked there over the course of 6 weeks, they just upgraded all of my nights to one of their suites. That outweighed the Elite status of people showing up for just one night.

She indicated they try to upgrade the Titanium guests mostly.
There are rarely enough suites remaining for Platinum guests to be upgraded, unless it is a situation like me with a guest staying many nights in a row.

She also said one guest was just buying nights at $49 and just checking in and not even staying.
Probably a local trying to hit Ambassador level and needs nights.

The $20,000 requirement doesn't seem difficult. If a wealthy person likes to stay in category 7 and 8 hotels, it would be fairly easy to reach $20,000 but not have 100 nights.
It would not surprise me that someone is trying to reach Ambassador level just to guarantee to the category 7 or 8 upgrades when traveling their 30 to 60 nights per year.

From what I have been told (because I chat and ask), Ambassador level does stand out to the front desk staff and they bend over as much as possible for Ambassador Elite. Those are their orders from management.
Titanium/Platinum is not special. It is too easy to reach for business travelers (ex: airline staff) that get a lot of nights.
Or regular (non-business) individuals can easily hit Platinum starting with 30 nights from 2 credit cards. Getting the 20 extra nights should be a snap for many.

Bonvoy's system is clearly geared towards the people that spend $20,000+ per year and hit the night target.
Now that it is so easy to reach Platinum if starting with 2 credit cards and 30 nights, Platinum is worthless.
I should reach Platinum on Wednesday of this week. Titanium sometime in June.
During my Europe travel this summer, I will decide if Titanium is worthwhile enough or should I aim for Ambassador just to give it a trial run next year.
Just my opinion.
Old May 11, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
So to sum up, the program is designed to reward the most loyal and profitable guests. Got it.

And individual hotels may prioritize guests that are more valuable to them over ones with program status. I see.

Is there anything unexpected here?
anteater and Flying for Fun like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: Yes
For the 20k spend requirement, I wish that busier properties had a separate check-in queue or priority for AE guests.
Old May 12, 2020, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by RocketGoBoom

This Delta hotel is near Disney World and also has some airline staff contracts, so they regularly get airline people who probably all hit the Platinum or Titanium level at multiple different loyalty programs.

Titanium/Platinum is not special. It is too easy to reach for business travelers (ex: airline staff) that get a lot of nights.
On.
Not sure, but believe airline staff's rooms are booked under the airline and not the pilot/FA
Old May 12, 2020, 7:26 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by knownothing
Not sure, but believe airline staff's rooms are booked under the airline and not the pilot/FA
Yeah I doubt those rates would be eligible.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
So my first stay back at Marriott since Covid isolation started. Full Service Marriott in NJ. 3 night paid stay @ ~$150 per night.

No upgrade - standard king bed room, even thought the hotel is VERY quiet. This room was pre-assigned as there was a handwritten note waiting for me in the room. Note was from the hotel and "Ambassador Service" and acknowledged this was my first stay back with Marriott.

M lounge is closed. Restaurant is open for carry out only with a limited menu. I asked if breakfast from the restaurant was complimentary as the lounge was closed, and was told no. Was given a daily coupon for a free small coffee.

I can't recall all the details on housekeeping, but seems to be provided on request only. No MAGC, in fact they stated Marriott has cancelled this program. This I totally get as I would not want housekeeping in my room anyway. (I wiped down everything upon my arrival with Clorox wipes).

Coffee maker and ice bucket had been removed from my room, though was provided when I asked for them back. Strangely, there was also only a single bath towel, hand towel, and washcloth stocked in the bathroom. When I called down for additional, they provided one additional each. Guess this will be a daily call. Is there some Covid reason I am not thinking of to ration towels?

Drop off of coffee maker and towel were "contactless". They just leave outside my door. Not sure how hygienic laying a bathtowel on the hallway carpet is supposed to be...

Mask use is mandatory in all common areas of hotel.

On the whole, a bit underwhelmed with the visit. I get some of the adjustments that are truly Covid related, but not comping breakfast when lounge is closed and restaurant is open rubs me the wrong way. Same with no upgrade as an Ambassador guest at a deserted hotel on a paid stay. All the staff is nice enough, but certainly nothing about the stay to encourage repeat visits.
SPN Lifer and anteater like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Strangely, there was also only a single bath towel, hand towel, and washcloth stocked in the bathroom. When I called down for additional, they provided one additional each. Guess this will be a daily call. Is there some Covid reason I am not thinking of to ration towels?
Properties have cut way back on housekeeping staff. They're probably only laundering a small number of towels per day.

Did they give a reason for no upgrade?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Properties have cut way back on housekeeping staff. They're probably only laundering a small number of towels per day.

I have noticed that these hotels, even once reopened, have many floors closed and not even available in inventory.
Many suites, even though empty, are not available for in inventory at all. They have reduced staff and reduced number of rooms.
They are sizing their available number of floors open based on the number of reservations.

I had this situation in a category 6 resort JW in Orlando recently. The day before, I called to ask how full the hotel is.
The front desk manager told me about 55% and plenty of suites available, he said check in early was fine and we could use the resort.
The next day when I arrived they told me there were no suites available. I was there very early. The hotel was not full, I have been there before when it was full.
They simply have a bunch of floors closed down, until the demand requires them to open those floors.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Hmm. Would think there are plenty of towels on hand, and could launder as needed, but maybe I am wrong.

I haven't asked about the lack of upgrade. Unless it is a personal trip and / or special occasion, I don't get worked up over it. But in these types of cases, certainly gives an indication of how much they value loyal members giving them business again....or don't.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by goodeats21
So my first stay back at Marriott since Covid isolation started. Full Service Marriott in NJ. 3 night paid stay @ ~$150 per night.

No upgrade - standard king bed room, even thought the hotel is VERY quiet. This room was pre-assigned as there was a handwritten note waiting for me in the room. Note was from the hotel and "Ambassador Service" and acknowledged this was my first stay back with Marriott.

M lounge is closed. Restaurant is open for carry out only with a limited menu. I asked if breakfast from the restaurant was complimentary as the lounge was closed, and was told no. Was given a daily coupon for a free small coffee.

I can't recall all the details on housekeeping, but seems to be provided on request only. No MAGC, in fact they stated Marriott has cancelled this program. This I totally get as I would not want housekeeping in my room anyway. (I wiped down everything upon my arrival with Clorox wipes).

Coffee maker and ice bucket had been removed from my room, though was provided when I asked for them back. Strangely, there was also only a single bath towel, hand towel, and washcloth stocked in the bathroom. When I called down for additional, they provided one additional each. Guess this will be a daily call. Is there some Covid reason I am not thinking of to ration towels?

Drop off of coffee maker and towel were "contactless". They just leave outside my door. Not sure how hygienic laying a bathtowel on the hallway carpet is supposed to be...

Mask use is mandatory in all common areas of hotel.

On the whole, a bit underwhelmed with the visit. I get some of the adjustments that are truly Covid related, but not comping breakfast when lounge is closed and restaurant is open rubs me the wrong way. Same with no upgrade as an Ambassador guest at a deserted hotel on a paid stay. All the staff is nice enough, but certainly nothing about the stay to encourage repeat visits.
Hah, that sounds depressing, especially for a full service Marriott. I have had 60% success between Plat / Tit (since Joining the Marriott Program last year). I'd have thought these initial months they hotel is going to want to welcome the few people staying with open arms in hope they come back.. At least you got a nice letter

I'll likely be staying in one Marriott or another from July, (destination TBD). I'll just be a few thousand short on spend by then as once I get my Homes & Villa nights.. Excited not to receive my welcome already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.