Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ĎAmbassador Eliteí Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

Marriott Bonvoy ĎAmbassador Eliteí Level : Ambassador experiences [Master Thread]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 2, 20, 9:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: HHQX888
Wiki Link
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 4, 18, 10:25 am
  #286  
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,754
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Then it is incorrect:
Complimentary Room Upgrade: Upgrades are based on room availability at check-in and limited to a member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities and rooms on Executive Floors. Suites are included for Platinum members only. [emphasis added] Rooms with direct Club Lounge access are excluded. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi
Ah, no. That isn’t correct. Suites “being included” is not the same as suites being guaranteed for upgrade if available. Thats why the guarantee on the copied pages previously specifically excludes Club rooms and Suites.

Suites can be included but still are entirely left to the discretion of the Ritz Carlton and Edition hotels in question for upgrades. Suites available at SPG hotels are not left to any hotel’s discretion but are absolutely guaranteed for upgrades if they are among the standard suite pool and are available. Period, end.

Ritz-Carlton and Edition currently do not guarantee a suite upgrade in any way like SPG terms currently do for any Platinum guest—much as some want to play devil’s advocate and try to pretend otherwise. It isn’t the same. Period.

St Regis and Luxury Collection and W hotels do guarantee a suite upgrade if available. Ritz-Carlton and Edition do not. It’s that simple.

Allegedly, the new loyalty program may allow Ritz-Carlton and Edition hotels to guarantee a suite upgrade in the same way that St Regis, Luxury Collection, and W hotels have been doing for years—but the details on that possibility still are sketchy. Regardless, Club level rooms and suites are not going to be part of the new Platinum standard upgrade pool. And SNAs won’t apply “at first” to Ritz-Carlton and Edition hotels, either, apparently—suggesting the possibility that Marriott has to change the IT for those to apply.

As was stated before and challenged unsuccessfully, this again still stands:

Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Marriott had NO guarantee to ANY suite upgrade whatsoever...and still does not for Ritz Carlton hotels.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 4, 18 at 10:51 am
bhrubin is offline  
Old Jul 4, 18, 5:17 pm
  #287  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 1,103
It has been made very very clear to me plats at RC are not guaranteed suite upgrades even if one if available.

Very clear. Surprised those of us coming from SPG side know this fact better than many coming from Marriott side.

Perhaps because we often get upgraded above and beyond specialty suites at SPG and so have a laserlike look at differences in programs? As fyi I have not been ambassador status last couple of years because I did not find it useful, but I am LTP and spend annually far more than $20 k so assume they have some algorithm. I think 80% of my stays this year have been at a LC, though I will try am Aloft next week in Seoul for first time to test .

The lack of potential suite upgrades and measly plat benefits RC is why I almost never stay at RC by choice - I will choose a LC or STR anyday.

Frankly I thank RC is making a mistake on this. For example last week I stayed at a regular Marriott in DC rather than a RC across the street simply because I wanted recognition even though was on at property for 8 hours or so.

For some reason they think big spenders so not care about loyalty?!
SHLTP is offline  
Old Jul 11, 18, 11:59 am
  #288  
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,754
More data points that involve how well Iím treated due to my Ambassador STATUS despite my Ambassador not lifting a finger:

(1) Just had 2 night stay at Westin San Jose, where Iíve stayed numerous times in past. My Ambassador didnít have to contact the hotel becasue the hotel already knew my elite VIP status. Hotel treated us like gold. Moved my room when air con wasnít up to my reqít. Halved my room rate after I asked for an adjustment due to the room move (downgrade from nicer suite). Allowed us to bring our 110 lb dog despite the 40 lb pet weight limit. Had fire alarm go off, causing evacuation, and restaurant manager saw us, recognized us (never met me before though!), and invited us into bar for a round of free drinks, even with our dog.

Sorry, but my Ambassador STATUS afforded us spectacular treatment while staying here, well above and beyond any suite upgrade. My Ambassador didnít actually need to do anything and still the hotel staff consistently treated me like a VIP. That tremendous service afforded me for my entire stayódue to my Ambassador statusóhas nothing to do with anything my Ambassador did or that I needed to call or email and ask of my Ambassador.

(2) Just had 3 night stay at the St Regis San Francisco, where Iíve also stayed numerous times in the past. Ambassador previously had gotten us permission to bring our 110 lb dog despite 35 lb weight limit. My Ambassador didnít have to contact the hotel again because the hotel already knew my elite VIP status. Hotel treated us like gold. Despite Your24 not officially being approved for 12 pm noon check in, my regular massively upgraded suite still was made ready for 11 am check in! Valets and bellmen welcomed us back by name. Arrived to very busy front desk, so the front offfice manager escorted us directly to suite since front desk area was busy, indicating we could formally check in later whenever might be convenient for us. Thatís good service! Fantastic cheese and fruit and wine platter welcome amenity waiting for us in suite. Had drinks at bar after dinner and barmen knew us all by name. Had concierge mix ups on some of our Michelin restaurant bookings and concierge took care of those fast. Had room service mix up and front desk manager took it off bill. Ambassador VIP status made all the difference hereóregardless of my Ambassador doing or not doing anything.
bhrubin is offline  
Old Jul 11, 18, 12:17 pm
  #289  
SPG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Jolla, CA
Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
Posts: 2,578
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
More data points that involve how well Iím treated due to my Ambassador STATUS despite my Ambassador not lifting a finger:



(2) Just had 3 night stay at the St Regis San Francisco, where Iíve also stayed numerous times in the past. Ambassador previously had gotten us permission to bring our 110 lb dog despite 35 lb weight limit. My Ambassador didnít have to contact the hotel again because the hotel already knew my elite VIP status. Hotel treated us like gold. Despite Your24 not officially being approved for 12 pm noon check in, my regular massively upgraded suite still was made ready for 11 am check in! Valets and bellmen welcomed us back by name. Arrived to very busy front desk, so the front offfice manager escorted us directly to suite since front desk area was busy, indicating we could formally check in later whenever might be convenient for us. Thatís good service! Fantastic cheese and fruit and wine platter welcome amenity waiting for us in suite. Had drinks at bar after dinner and barmen knew us all by name. Had concierge mix ups on some of our Michelin restaurant bookings and concierge took care of those fast. Had room service mix up and front desk manager took it off bill. Ambassador VIP status made all the difference hereóregardless of my Ambassador doing or not doing anything.
Yes- the St Regis SF definitely treats Ambassador guests well. We are having a similar experience to BHRís- they allowed us to check in early at 2 pm even though our Your24 was denied. Upgraded us to a Metropolitan Suite (yes- the famous Rubin Suite 😉 ). on a points stay even though SNA was to an Astor Suite. Welcomed us with a beautiful fruit plate and bottle of champagne. We have stayed here before and always been treated well, but this is our first stay after attaining Ambassador.
bhrubin likes this.
damon88 is online now  
Old Jul 11, 18, 4:48 pm
  #290  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SLC/HEL/Anywhere with a Beach
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
More data points that involve how well I’m treated due to my Ambassador STATUS despite my Ambassador not lifting a finger:

(1) Just had 2 night stay at Westin San Jose, where I’ve stayed numerous times in past. My Ambassador didn’t have to contact the hotel becasue the hotel already knew my elite VIP status. Hotel treated us like gold. Moved my room when air con wasn’t up to my req’t. Halved my room rate after I asked for an adjustment due to the room move (downgrade from nicer suite). Allowed us to bring our 110 lb dog despite the 40 lb pet weight limit. Had fire alarm go off, causing evacuation, and restaurant manager saw us, recognized us (never met me before though!), and invited us into bar for a round of free drinks, even with our dog.

Sorry, but my Ambassador STATUS afforded us spectacular treatment while staying here, well above and beyond any suite upgrade. My Ambassador didn’t actually need to do anything and still the hotel staff consistently treated me like a VIP. That tremendous service afforded me for my entire stay—due to my Ambassador status—has nothing to do with anything my Ambassador did or that I needed to call or email and ask of my Ambassador.

(2) Just had 3 night stay at the St Regis San Francisco, where I’ve also stayed numerous times in the past. Ambassador previously had gotten us permission to bring our 110 lb dog despite 35 lb weight limit. My Ambassador didn’t have to contact the hotel again because the hotel already knew my elite VIP status. Hotel treated us like gold. Despite Your24 not officially being approved for 12 pm noon check in, my regular massively upgraded suite still was made ready for 11 am check in! Valets and bellmen welcomed us back by name. Arrived to very busy front desk, so the front offfice manager escorted us directly to suite since front desk area was busy, indicating we could formally check in later whenever might be convenient for us. That’s good service! Fantastic cheese and fruit and wine platter welcome amenity waiting for us in suite. Had drinks at bar after dinner and barmen knew us all by name. Had concierge mix ups on some of our Michelin restaurant bookings and concierge took care of those fast. Had room service mix up and front desk manager took it off bill. Ambassador VIP status made all the difference here—regardless of my Ambassador doing or not doing anything.
Wondering ... how would the property know you had an Ambassador? I'm curious whether you have chatted up any of the folks at the front desk or ever looked at the reservation screen so they show you how it works as it sounds like you haven't despite 100 nights a year. I get this might not be part of the VIP experience but most of the people at the FD are pretty nice folks, tend to be people persons, etc. They'll usually tell you occupancy, what's going on in town, whether there is a convention in, how they like the hotel, and what kind of upgrades are available. Again, in the Marriott world (as you'll soon see), there is an M0 at the end of a line of different codes that address things such as whether you want a king size bed, want a high floor, etc.

I'm a little worried, however, if the Concierge is taking special attention to particular guests, over others. I'd like to think Concierges at hotel treat guests equally and I don't want them to provide better service to me than others, even if I am booking a Michelin restaurant.

And as I'm on actual night 78 of Starriott for 2018 (another 10 or so in the Hilton/Hyatt world), I've yet to have anyone recognize my ambassador status at the property, as I don't think they look across the whole line. I have had some GM's or Front Office Managers pop out to see me because they recognize I am a Plat Premier and return guest, I've had a couple of emails in advance, some nice notes, and even a couple of bartenders ask me why I haven't been in town lately.

And, do you think that the bellmen or the guy at the bar may have recognized you as the guy with the big dog?
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Jul 11, 18, 6:23 pm
  #291  
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,754
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
Wondering ... how would the property know you had an Ambassador? I'm curious whether you have chatted up any of the folks at the front desk or ever looked at the reservation screen so they show you how it works as it sounds like you haven't despite 100 nights a year. I get this might not be part of the VIP experience but most of the people at the FD are pretty nice folks, tend to be people persons, etc. They'll usually tell you occupancy, what's going on in town, whether there is a convention in, how they like the hotel, and what kind of upgrades are available. Again, in the Marriott world (as you'll soon see), there is an M0 at the end of a line of different codes that address things such as whether you want a king size bed, want a high floor, etc.

I'm a little worried, however, if the Concierge is taking special attention to particular guests, over others. I'd like to think Concierges at hotel treat guests equally and I don't want them to provide better service to me than others, even if I am booking a Michelin restaurant.

And as I'm on actual night 78 of Starriott for 2018 (another 10 or so in the Hilton/Hyatt world), I've yet to have anyone recognize my ambassador status at the property, as I don't think they look across the whole line. I have had some GM's or Front Office Managers pop out to see me because they recognize I am a Plat Premier and return guest, I've had a couple of emails in advance, some nice notes, and even a couple of bartenders ask me why I haven't been in town lately.

And, do you think that the bellmen or the guy at the bar may have recognized you as the guy with the big dog?
I think you may have a disconnect first on what it is to stay at a luxury hotel. Some of your uncertainties perplex me, to be quite honest!

The hotel knew I had an Ambassador from many previous stays where my Ambassador contacted the hotel team to alert them of my stay and my concomitant status (and its importance to me, naturally). I last stayed at the StR SF in Dec 2017. I will be back at the StR SF next month.

I've never bothered to ask how they know my "VIP" status, but they clearly know and treat me like I'm a VIP--and have ever since I attained Ambassador status, to be honest. I think the unusual nature of your query may reflect partially the difference between staying at a mere "full service" hotel--as seems so common for people in this Marriott universe to mention--versus staying at a true 5* luxury hotel--which is more common in the SPG universe.

I always have believed that I get the best VIP treatment at the nicer hotels, on average--but then you can see that the Westin treated me like gold, too. I may get the best VIP treatment by StR, Luxury Collection, and W hotels for the most part, but that doesn't mean that I don't also sometimes get that same level of treatment at Le Meriden, Westin, Sheraton, Four Points, and Tribute hotels. Since Marriott's portfolio has so many fewer luxury properties, you may be comparing oranges and apples, I'm afraid.

I rarely get told about occupancy and conferences at hotels, luxury or otherwise, unless I specifically ask. I almost always am thanked for being a Platinum member at every SPG hotel at check in, but they almost never mention anything at the FD about my Ambassador status. This is another big difference that I think comes from getting superior VIP treatment beyond the front desk as an Ambassador elite, as opposed to most people's and most hotel's elite recognition being merely something that's a front desk experience.

You keep wanting to restrict the VIP Ambassador experience to the front desk. You seem very concerned--almost obsessed--with the more formulaic Marriott approach and the concomitant codes that are seen by the front desk. My Ambassador VIP service and better treatment clearly extends well beyond the front desk. I keep telling you that, but you keep bringing up these codes as if they somehow are the be-all, end-all of elite recognition. They aren't. Whether Marriott incorporates this SPG Ambassador VIP approach well beyond front desk approach in the future is something we'll have to wait to see.

Your concern that anyone in the hotel should treat all guests equally seems oddly hypocritical. You obviously believe that the front desk should treat a Plat or Plat Premier elite guest with special treatment. Just because you're only used to special treatment at the front desk doesn't mean that has to be the end of special treatment. It also doesn't mean that other guests don't get treated specially. It isn't always a zero sum game. Sometimes a non-elite can get a suite upgrade at the front desk's discretion. A luxury hotel always should treat guests very well. But that doesn't preclude that it can make certain VIP guests a bigger priority. Heck, Ritz-Carlton does this for any guests who pay more for Club level. It isn't surprising that a hotel also would treat its Ambassador guests as VIPs with more priority.

You keep wondering what the big deal about getting an Ambassador in the SPG universe is about...and now you're learning. It's a lot more than getting the pretend Ambassador has been in the Marriott universe up to this point. Whether or not that continues into the new Marriott universe, we can only speculate. But since Marriott has largely cloned the elite SPG treatment for its new Marriott program, I am pretty confident that Marriott wants to also copy the SPG approach to Ambassador treatment.

As you're at 78 nights in the SPG portfolio, YOU ARE NOT A SPG AMBASSADOR GUEST. Since the programs still operate separately until sometime in August, until that time you are merely a Platinum in the SPG universe. So you're not missing any recognition because you don't have that status. Your Marriott "Ambassador" status doesn't yet translate to any SPG hotel in the same way that my SPG Ambassador status doesn't translate yet to any Marriott hotel--though you can see the evidence of them getting ready for that in August!

You're welcome to try to diminish that bellmen, valets, front desk agents, barmen, and random housekeepers and people in the elevators recognized me by name, and sometimes recognized my husband by name, including times when we were together, sometimes when we had the dog, and other times when we didn't. But I find that quite impressive. Because I stay at enough luxury hotels in SPG and outside of SPG to know better.
bhrubin is offline  
Old Jul 12, 18, 12:55 am
  #292  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 1,103
I am not 100% sure BHRubin that you are getting great service because you are ambassador status level - I think you have been flagged as a big spender above and beyond Ambassador status. Not particularly hard to be Ambassador but hard to be as big spender personally and in and position as you are to book for multiple people.

You and I differ on our experiences w the Ambassador program. I stopped getting Ambassador level because I did not find it useful.

But on property ... the quality of upgrades, and staff knowing my family and me and my preferences was always sky high whether I have Ambassador status or not.

as I spent more, got to know heads of starwood and became better known globally I found service went up.

I feel I might have been flagged somewhere for on property people to spend more attention.

​​Again i wonder w Marriott if I will be flagged similarly, and I dont know the heads of marriott as well as the starwood folks .

I have been happy w my marriott treatment so far but clearly get better treatment at starwood .i do not know if this is as cultural thing, if I have been flagged at starwood, or a mix . but even at the aloft seoul where I am presently I feel they were expecting me more than a high end JW.
SHLTP is offline  
Old Jul 12, 18, 2:57 am
  #293  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Tit, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Posts: 6,751
I had had limited evidence to support bhrubin's hypothesis that Ambassador status is on occasions noticed by SPG without intervention of Ambassador, but I've had a few stays recently where I am sure my Ambassador was not involved and the property proactively raised the topic and seemed to have given a heads up to staff in general (possibly with photos?). My status almost never seems to help me in St Regis Hotels, but the Luxury Collection seems to increasingly recognise Ambassador status - getting upgrades over and above "standard suites" is now reasonably standard for me. At the Westin La Quinta (technically a 5* hotel, but not at St Regis level), the staff were very enthusiastic about Ambassador status, though given their transitory customer base it's entirely possible they would have been enthusiastic about a Gold member in the same way

Of course this is highly inconsistent even within SPG. I booked a Junior Suite at the Westin Dragonara in Malta last weekend and despite a bit of a dust-up with the Ambassador team when my BRG was rejected for no good reason there was no upgrade (full suites available) and no compromise when I enquired about paying for an upgrade to a more expensive room which remained empty. The Ambassadors helped me agree a late check-out in advance, but the property apparently lost the memo and so decided to call and knock on the door every 30min for 4 hours despite me calling the night before and telling them the same thing every clear. There was also apparently a Lounge that nobody mentioned to us that we could use. Clearly some places just would rather not have to bother with SPG regulars.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Old Jul 12, 18, 6:28 am
  #294  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,024
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
I had had limited evidence to support bhrubin's hypothesis that Ambassador status is on occasions noticed by SPG without intervention of Ambassador, but I've had a few stays recently where I am sure my Ambassador was not involved and the property proactively raised the topic and seemed to have given a heads up to staff in general (possibly with photos?). My status almost never seems to help me in St Regis Hotels, but the Luxury Collection seems to increasingly recognise Ambassador status - getting upgrades over and above "standard suites" is now reasonably standard for me. At the Westin La Quinta (technically a 5* hotel, but not at St Regis level), the staff were very enthusiastic about Ambassador status, though given their transitory customer base it's entirely possible they would have been enthusiastic about a Gold member in the same way

Of course this is highly inconsistent even within SPG. I booked a Junior Suite at the Westin Dragonara in Malta last weekend and despite a bit of a dust-up with the Ambassador team when my BRG was rejected for no good reason there was no upgrade (full suites available) and no compromise when I enquired about paying for an upgrade to a more expensive room which remained empty. The Ambassadors helped me agree a late check-out in advance, but the property apparently lost the memo and so decided to call and knock on the door every 30min for 4 hours despite me calling the night before and telling them the same thing every clear. There was also apparently a Lounge that nobody mentioned to us that we could use. Clearly some places just would rather not have to bother with SPG regulars.
I hope you complained about your Malta experience.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 12, 18, 6:34 am
  #295  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Tit, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Posts: 6,751
I complained about the BRG (and was told by my Ambassador in no uncertain terms that SPG's policy was not to attempt any service recovery in these situations - I got the impression he was somewhat frustrated with this), but I think there's not a lot that can be done about some SPG properties just being a bit crap and uninterested in Platinum service. They didn't technically withhold any SPG guaranteed benefit, and forgetting they'd agreed a late checkout over and above their obligations is just general incompetence rather than malice.

I would probably have complained if this were a true luxury property which positioned itself as such (my last complaint was about the SLS Beverly Hills), but realistically it's a tourist hotel in Malta and so it's no surprise it's a bit disappointing. Time to move on.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Old Jul 12, 18, 9:50 am
  #296  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SLC/HEL/Anywhere with a Beach
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
I think you may have a disconnect first on what it is to stay at a luxury hotel. Some of your uncertainties perplex me, to be quite honest!

The hotel knew I had an Ambassador from many previous stays where my Ambassador contacted the hotel team to alert them of my stay and my concomitant status (and its importance to me, naturally). I last stayed at the StR SF in Dec 2017. I will be back at the StR SF next month.

Your concern that anyone in the hotel should treat all guests equally seems oddly hypocritical. You obviously believe that the front desk should treat a Plat or Plat Premier elite guest with special treatment.

YOU ARE NOT A SPG AMBASSADOR GUEST.
Not sure why'd you capitalize the SPG Ambassador program because this is, of course, a thread about the Marriott Plat Premier with Ambassador status, not the SPG Ambassador program. It's my impression on the SPG board that others do not report similar experiences as you, but I'll leave it to that board to discuss their experiences.

But, as you note, some hotels know you because your ambassador has called before and you've asked permission to bring a large dog, as does the Westin San Jose. The Japanese hotels you stayed in know you because you called your ambassador and asked for assistance. It remains unclear to me that there is any evidence that a SPG hotel has recognized you because of your ambassador status without you having your ambassador call or you contacting them directly/indirectly to tell them about your status. That seems apparent from your experience in being welcomed as a Plat in SPG properties, just as I am.

I recognize European Pete's experience at LC properties discussed above but will note I find some of those properties treat Plat's well. For example, the SLS in LA is often very busy and sells suites. When they are available, I will get upgraded to some very nice suites that are not the basic ones. In contrast, the LC in Buenos Aires has not upgraded me beyond a deluxe room even though they were obviously at very low occupancy. I am trying the Grande Bretagne soon and we'll see how that goes. I know that when I stay at Marriott properties internationally, I am almost always upgraded to great suites automatically.

A friend is a senior exec in a low profile, very expensive collection of hotels, and I've had a couple of stays there. Guests stay there because the hotels protect their discretion/privacy and the staff doesn't walk around mentioning them by name.

And I do want the concierge and restaurant to provide excellent service to everyone. Everyone is paying for that service. I don't use bellmen as I'm not at the age where I need assistance but when I get older and need help, I hope they won't take my things before others who arrived first.

Of course, I still expect upgrades to the best rooms/suites (and don't want to hear "both our standard suites are occupied when their are plenty of non-presidential type suites available for sale) because that is what the program provides to those of us who travel 125-150 nights a year and don't have time to call their ambassador. I also appreciate the Santiago Marriott emailing me to check on whether I am arriving early morning to have my room available or when GM's occasionally send a card or an unexpected wine/cheese platter to my room. I'm usually upgraded domestically on American, but when I'm not, I don't expect the flight attendant to serve me before others. To the extent that is hypocritical, I plead guilty.

And, since this is a thread about the Marriott Plat Premier with Ambassador status, I welcome ideas from those individuals. I do need to have someone added to a reservation for next week and will email my ambassador today or tomorrow to make that request.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Jul 12, 18 at 9:55 am
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Jul 12, 18, 10:40 am
  #297  
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,754
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
Not sure why'd you capitalize the SPG Ambassador program because this is, of course, a thread about the Marriott Plat Premier with Ambassador status, not the SPG Ambassador program. It's my impression on the SPG board that others do not report similar experiences as you, but I'll leave it to that board to discuss their experiences.
You continue to inaccurately compare your current "Marriott Ambassador" status as somehow equivalent my SPG Ambassador status. That simply is wrong and completely inaccurate. That is why I continue to emphasize that! See below:

Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
And as I'm on actual night 78 of Starriott for 2018 (another 10 or so in the Hilton/Hyatt world), I've yet to have anyone recognize my ambassador status at the property, as I don't think they look across the whole line. I have had some GM's or Front Office Managers pop out to see me because they recognize I am a Plat Premier and return guest, I've had a couple of emails in advance, some nice notes, and even a couple of bartenders ask me why I haven't been in town lately.
Your "ambassador status" in the current Marriott universe is a trial run by Marriott to try and mimic what is a recognized status within the SPG universe--and which Marriott intends to mimic starting in August with its new Marriott Loyalty Program. Your current ambassador is a shadow of what we experience in the SPG universe.

Also, your "ambassador status" is available to be recognized ONLY in the current Marriott portfolio--not by a single SPG property. Just like my SPG Ambassador status is available to be recognized ONLY in the current SPG portfolio. That will change in August sometime when the new Marriott Loyalty Program takes effect--at which time I will have the formal status of Premier Platinum with Ambassador and you will only have the formal status of Premier Platinum until you reach your 100 combined nights with Starriott and have spent $20K.

My point here is that your "ambassador" status counts for nothing in this discussion. You don't have SPG Ambassador experience, so you don't actually yet have any proper Ambassador experience that is being recognized anywhere in the current Marriott and SPG universes or portfolios.

But, as you note, some hotels know you because your ambassador has called before and you've asked permission to bring a large dog, as does the Westin San Jose. The Japanese hotels you stayed in know you because you called your ambassador and asked for assistance. It remains unclear to me that there is any evidence that a SPG hotel has recognized you because of your ambassador status without you having your ambassador call or you contacting them directly/indirectly to tell them about your status. That seems apparent from your experience in being welcomed as a Plat in SPG properties, just as I am.
You continue to draw this distinction as it has some sort of magical impact on a hotel experience. Marriott currently distinguishes elite status by codes available at the front desk--and apparently nowhere else! Marriott currently doesn't seem to have a code for Ambassador status since it doesn't formally offer that status as a recognized and published benefit. SPG currently distinguishes elite status by BOTH some designation at the front desk--Gold or Platinum status--and also by having Ambassadors contact the hotels to identify the Ambassador level guests as VIPs.

Marriott's method is one way, but you seem to only consider elite recognition at the front desk! SPG's Ambassador recognition goes way beyond the front desk, and Marriott's never extends beyond the front desk. Whether a hotel realizes I'm an Ambassador VIP guest via a code at the front desk or via an email/phone call to the appropriate senior hotel management, there STILL is elite recognition.

I'd argue that SPG Ambassador recognition is superior exactly because it's provided for well beyond the mere front desk. I've provided inumerable examples of how I am recognized at SPG hotels, including StR, LuxColl, W, and many other brands, as a VIP well beyond the front desk in a way that never happens in any Marriott or Ritz-Carlton or Edition hotels. Your argument continues to fail because it is based on the fallacy that front desk recognition by codes is the only way to recognize status.

I recognize European Pete's experience at LC properties discussed above but will note I find some of those properties treat Plat's well. For example, the SLS in LA is often very busy and sells suites. When they are available, I will get upgraded to some very nice suites that are not the basic ones. In contrast, the LC in Buenos Aires has not upgraded me beyond a deluxe room even though they were obviously at very low occupancy. I am trying the Grande Bretagne soon and we'll see how that goes. I know that when I stay at Marriott properties internationally, I am almost always upgraded to great suites automatically.
SPG always has provided far superior elite recognition and benefits than Marriott. When you go to the Grand Bretagne, you will be a mere SPG Platinum if still before the new Loyalty Program or a Premier Platinum in the new Loyalty Program. Either way, you won't have an Ambassador status for the SPG universe before the new program begins or thereafter, it seems. So the fact that you may or may not get good treatment is a testament to a number of factors. If I were there at the same time as you, I am certain to be treated even better than you.

A friend is a senior exec in a low profile, very expensive collection of hotels, and I've had a couple of stays there. Guests stay there because the hotels protect their discretion/privacy and the staff doesn't walk around mentioning them by name.
Red herring alert! You spend time arguing how the Marriott recognition is better than SPG recognition, and now you're arguing how you don't enjoy or want recognition. That's both a red herring and a non sequitur. It's also hypocritical.

[quote]And I do want the concierge and restaurant to provide excellent service to everyone. Everyone is paying for that service. I don't use bellmen as I'm not at the age where I need assistance but when I get older and need help, I hope they won't take my things before others who arrived first.[/quote}

Red herring alert1 Another non sequitur alert! Concierges and restaurants and airlines and hotels and almost all businesses always treat VIPs better. In any universe. That doesn't mean they don't or can't provide excellent service to everyone. That just means they sometimes go the extra mile only for their best customers. Just like Ritx-Carlton Club guests have their own designated staff that allows them to get a better level of service than non-Club guests. The distinction already exists, and yet you evaded that recognition.

Of course, I still expect upgrades to the best rooms/suites (and don't want to hear "both our standard suites are occupied when their are plenty of non-presidential type suites available for sale) because that is what the program provides to those of us who travel 125-150 nights a year and don't have time to call their ambassador. I also appreciate the Santiago Marriott emailing me to check on whether I am arriving early morning to have my room available or when GM's occasionally send a card or an unexpected wine/cheese platter to my room. I'm usually upgraded domestically on American, but when I'm not, I don't expect the flight attendant to serve me before others. To the extent that is hypocritical, I plead guilty.
Guilty as charged. Hotels choose their standard suite pool. That's the way it goes, but that has nothing to do with Ambassador recognition. And I think you know it. You're changing the topic.

I think I and a few others have given plenty of examples that show how often we get upgraded to suites, even specialty suites beyond the standard suite pool, as Ambassador guests. You just don't seem to accept that evidence. You also fail to consider that there is nothing comparable in the current Marriott universe, since RC and Edition hotels currently don't upgrade to suites at all as any form of guarantee like StR, Luxury Collection, and W hotels do now in the SPG universe. Yet we Ambassador guests have given examples of massive upgrades at even StR, LC, and W hotels.

And, since this is a thread about the Marriott Plat Premier with Ambassador status, I welcome ideas from those individuals. I do need to have someone added to a reservation for next week and will email my ambassador today or tomorrow to make that request.
Oh dear. Again, you don't have an Ambassador in the formal New Marriott Loyalty Program's Premier Platinum with Ambassador--that status doesn't yet exist and won't exist until sometime in August when the New Marriott Loyalty Program begins.

You only have the "trial run" Marriott attempt to clone an SPG Ambassador for a status that doesn't yet formally exist in the Marriott universe--and yet you attempt again to equate them. This is the second time in this same post when you have made that false equivalency. Whatever your "trial run ambassador" does or doesn't do is not in any way what would happen in the current SPG Ambassador experience nor in the coming New Marriott Loyalty Program Ambassador experience.
bhrubin is offline  
Old Jul 12, 18, 10:49 am
  #298  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SLC/HEL/Anywhere with a Beach
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
You continue to inaccurately compare your current "Marriott Ambassador" status as somehow equivalent my SPG Ambassador status. That simply is wrong and completely inaccurate. That is why I continue to emphasize that!
No, I wasn't making any comparison but simply noting that this is a thread about those who have Marriott Ambassador's not those with SPG Ambassadors. There is a thread in the SPG forum for that.
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Jul 12, 18, 10:50 am
  #299  
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,754
Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
I am not 100% sure BHRubin that you are getting great service because you are ambassador status level - I think you have been flagged as a big spender above and beyond Ambassador status. Not particularly hard to be Ambassador but hard to be as big spender personally and in and position as you are to book for multiple people.
It's impossible to know for sure, of course, but you may be right. I've always been open and forthright in the SPG Ambassador threads that I believe I had better Ambassador treatment and experiences because I asked for them and because I spent more than the average Ambassador guest.

Of course, the new Marriott Loyalty Program's Ambassador elite status requires a minimum $20K spend to presumably weed out the lower spend elites who stay 100+ nights but then complain about their less than Ambassador experiences. Thankfully and hopefully, the $20K req't will considerably mitigate and reduce those complaints.

You and I differ on our experiences w the Ambassador program. I stopped getting Ambassador level because I did not find it useful.

But on property ... the quality of upgrades, and staff knowing my family and me and my preferences was always sky high whether I have Ambassador status or not.
I'm delighted that's been true for you! It's always been one of the hallmarks of the SPG program that even regular Plats could get treated very well, indeed. You and @C17PSGR see that a reason to not bother pursuing Ambassador status, and I respect that. But I won't allow that to characterize the Ambassador status as not being even more remarkable--because it is and has been for me and many others.

as I spent more, got to know heads of starwood and became better known globally I found service went up.

I feel I might have been flagged somewhere for on property people to spend more attention.
You're actually making my case here. Spend more and get more attention. Stay 100 nights and spend more, and you get formal Ambassador level attention and better treatment.

​​
Again i wonder w Marriott if I will be flagged similarly, and I dont know the heads of marriott as well as the starwood folks .
No one can answer that for sure until the new Marriott Loyalty Program begins in August and we get those answers. But considering that Marriott has taken obvious pains to incorporate almost everything that made SPG as remarkable as it was in this new Marriott universe, I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have been happy w my marriott treatment so far but clearly get better treatment at starwood .i do not know if this is as cultural thing, if I have been flagged at starwood, or a mix . but even at the aloft seoul where I am presently I feel they were expecting me more than a high end JW.
The brand of hotel will ALWAYS make some difference in how one gets elite treatment. This is a distinction I constantly draw that many people don't seem to like. The nicer the brand standard, the more likely you will get better elite treatment and even more likely you will get better Ambassador treatment. That is more likely--not a guarantee.
bhrubin is offline  
Old Jul 12, 18, 11:01 am
  #300  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SLC/HEL/Anywhere with a Beach
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,238
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post

@C17PSGR see that a reason to not bother pursuing Ambassador status, and I respect that.
I'm not sure I'd describe myself as pursuing or not pursuing Ambassador status (which I have). I'll hit 100 actual nights in late August or early September (these are actual nights, not credit for meetings or multiple rooms) and will easily meet the spend requirement. None of this is from pursuing or not pursuing ... just the ordinary course of work and fun travel. So I'll certainly continue to have an Ambassador

I know there are those occasional Aloft stays in Asia for under $100 and many hotels in middle America are under $200, but I actually think most people who spend 100 nights will meet the requirement although we don't know exactly what will count.

I knew many of the senior SPG execs (great people with a great vision!) but don't think that has benefited me. Marriott has a friend of Bill status/code ... Five Star/X5 ... but while I've met Bill and used to have his office number, I never received X5 status.
C17PSGR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: