Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The issue with using the general Ambassador line is unless it’s something they can immediately resolve, it appears to me that they can’t be relied upon to chase things up. For example, Your24 requests sent from the general Ambassador line don’t appear to be chased up if the hotel doesn’t reply to an initial email contact (which in my experience few hotels do). My Ambassador is a lot more reliable, but I’ve found if he doesn’t get a response from a hotel (or corporate) within a few days he can no longer be relied upon to chase something down either and I have to keep sending repeated reminders.
The root cause looks to me that Marriott aren’t using any kind of case logging system, and with many employees apparently overworked they’re unable to actually follow problems through to resolution - the immediate opposite of the famous Ritz Carlton approach to customer service.
Salesforce has a pretty advanced case management system available out of the box - I wish they’d use it.
davidsc111 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:22 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The issue with using the general Ambassador line is unless it’s something they can immediately resolve, it appears to me that they can’t be relied upon to chase things up. For example, Your24 requests sent from the general Ambassador line don’t appear to be chased up if the hotel doesn’t reply to an initial email contact (which in my experience few hotels do). My Ambassador is a lot more reliable, but I’ve found if he doesn’t get a response from a hotel (or corporate) within a few days he can no longer be relied upon to chase something down either and I have to keep sending repeated reminders.
The root cause looks to me that Marriott aren’t using any kind of case logging system, and with many employees apparently overworked they’re unable to actually follow problems through to resolution - the immediate opposite of the famous Ritz Carlton approach to customer service.
Salesforce has a pretty advanced case management system available out of the box - I wish they’d use it.

This is definitely a “luck of the draw” issue where some Ambassadors excel at follow up and others are (obviously) woefully inadequate.

I feel fortunate that follow up is my Ambassador’s Super Power. She is great at checking off all of my requests, even when I forget about some.

I thought 2018 would be a one-off for me for Ambassador service, but it was so helpful I decided to go for it again this year. A few months ago I figured that 2019 would be it, but now I find myself strategizing already to qualify again in 2020.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:37 pm

bhrubin, I personally prefer communication via E-Mail over phone as it provides an easily accesible record of communication. In addition, prior to this exchange, I was not aware that there would be such significant delays for a rather simple request.

I also need to agree with others here that these kind of timelines (24h+) should be unacceptable as service for their (supposedly) most valuable members. I also disagree with the concept of putting the additional burden of determining the correct communication channel (e.g. emailing general E-Mail address on weekends or when receiving an out of office notice) on the client. A well set up system will allow for:
- A clear communication channel (for example ONE E-Mail address, either a general or a personalized E-Mail address with internal processes to forward to personal ambassador as priority and general mailbox on unavailability)
- Internal tracking of requests to avoid that requests are not handed over correctly between personal/general ambassadors and to provide metrics on response times / satisfaction.
- A system to evaluate the service provided, either internally via management oversight/metrics or externally via prompted client feedback.

The Marriot Ambassador system itself seems to be lacking on all fronts and purely relies on the quality of the individual ambassador, which can seemingly be hit or miss.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Fully agreed - e-mail shouldn't be looked at as some antiquated way of communication (even if Marriott still loves fax machines).

Others may not want to hear this, as they have a deeply entrenched belief in the phone - confirmation bias striking again.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Pota, I am Ambassador Elite and definitely not a fan of the service. I find I get treated very well because of my status but I haven’t spoken to my Ambassador in a year.

Changing your stay from points to a cert would have taken no more than a minute online*. Since you didn’t hear back from your Ambassador in a timely fashion, why didn’t you make the change yourself? Or if you didn’t know how, a quick call to the Plat line could have got it done. Sometimes, you just have to fend for yourself!

* To make the change, just open the reservation, click modify, choose the same room type, and you will be asked how you want to pay. Choose cert.
damon88 and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Not everything can be done online - my example perfectly. Changing from a regular AAA rate to a published "Elite" special rate bombs out endlessly on both the site and the app. "We" shouldn't be penalized by poor Marriott IT.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not everything can be done online - my example perfectly. Changing from a regular AAA rate to a published "Elite" special rate bombs out endlessly on both the site and the app. "We" shouldn't be penalized by poor Marriott IT.
True, which is why I also suggested the Plat line. I would NEVER rely on the Ambassador service for anything. I should be thankful that my Ambassador has taught me to look after myself!
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:17 pm

Margarita girl, thank you very much for the advice. I did not know it was that easy to modify the reservation and change from points to the certificate. It seems like the best course would have been to ask the question here in the first place.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:49 am

On my past 3 reservations where I couldn't apply my SNAs on pre-paid rates, I emailed her. She replied saying she emailed the hotels and within a day, all my 3 room reservations showed as suites. No, I did not receive any fancy F&B gifts or note in the room, but I appreciated that she got the job done.

Now I have 13 more SNAs left and don't know what to do with them.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin
My Ambassador responds to me within a day during business days--unless it's urgent. Quite appropriate. Over a weekend, she doesn't respond to me, and I rarely email her as a result. I email the general service over the weekend, and I almost always get a response within hours.

Yet there are Ambassador guests who obviously don't have as responsive Ambassadors as I do...just as there are Globalist guests who obviously don't have as responsive a concierge as you do. The truth is in this thread and the Hyatt Globalist concierge threads. Oops.

Hyatt concierges don't pre-upgrade anyone. There are almost no reports of Globalists getting pre-upgraded beyond the dates of arrival. There are many Ambassador guests getting pre-upgraded rooms and suites at many hotels many days or weeks before arrival. Not just me. Oops.

And I ask every hotel in advance--in Bonvoy or not--if it can guarantee 67 F or lower for air con in the room/suite. Hotels that don't guarantee it don't see me book. and hotels that do guarantee it see me book. There's nothing unrealistic about that--and that has nothing to do with our Ambassador discussion. You just shot a red herring, I'm afraid.
Ambassador really isn’t equivalent to Globalist, which is more equivalent to something between Platinum and Titanium in terms of what’s required to get there.

My Titanium experiences have me glad I’ve switched to WoH. I liked being SPG Platinum more. We’ll see how I feel after I Bonvoy my way through Italy next month.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
My ambassador is pretty good in following up requests. Although she did missed couple of queries before.

I tend to believe these are based on individual ambassador themself. Organised ambassador wont have issue tracking their elites requests.

Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Quick question. I have lifetime Titanium with Ambassador status this year. I like the suite upgrades and have 10 in my account. I probably won't make Ambassador again next year because I don't have the spend. I know that I will get at least 5 SNA's because I currently have 55 nights. Do I get another 5 SNA's when I reach 75 nights or do I need 100 nights? This is assuming that you don't require Ambassador status to even get SNA's.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
You should already have the 5 SNAs if you’ve stayed 55 nights in 2019, or within a couple days from now if you just achieved that.

you can choose another 5 at 75.

(corrected for accuracy)

Last edited by beachfan; Aug 25, 2019 at 11:16 am
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
You should already have the 5 SNAs if you’ve stayed 55 nights in 2019, or within a couple days from now if you just achieved that.

you should get another 5 at 75.
You only get the SNAs when you request them. I'm at 69 nights and haven't made my selection so no 2020 SNAs in my account yet.

At 75 nights, you can choose another 5 SNAs or free night (worth 35K pts), which IMO is a better option. There are also other options at 75 nights.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
I am in the same situation as Margarita Girl. I am getting complimentary upgrades to speciality suites and even preupgraded at properties as an Ambassador Elite. But my Achal ambassador is non responsive most of the time and difficult to reach. I find emailing or calling general ambassador line to be much more helpful. I still find tremendous value from being Ambassador level so will requalify for sure but the actual Ambassador service hasn’t been that great as it was when I had one with SPG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.