Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
SPG had a "low threshold for top tier" and was "more egalitarian" only if you discount 1) far fewer properties globally (making one have to be more loyal to the chain), and 2) all the ways Marriott had to gamify nights, and 3) ignore the list properties received showing suggested upgrade order (which favored higher-night Plats/Ambassadors). Other than all that, sure.

Nothing stopping any hotel from seeing which Ambassador guests are coming in over the next 7 day period, rolling, and pre-assigning upgrades. No need to blame SNAs.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by adunker
Has anyone got confirmation in the app ahead of time about a complimentary "Ambassador Elite Upgrade". Never seen this before, was a hotel I did in-app in check in for.

Also, update on this. The suite nights have been successfully redeposited, just received the email from Marriott Bonvoy. Looked automated and professional, so I'm guessing this isn't too uncommon "AWARD REISSUED. We always want your experience with Marriott Bonvoy™ to exceed your expectations, so we have reissued your Suite Night Awards™ to your account."
I've received the "you've been upgrade" notification, both under Bonvoy and before Bonvoy with legacy Marriott Rewards. However, it was never specified as an ambassador upgrade.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Here's an easy example

Last month, I stayed at a legacy Marriott property (Marriott Waikiki) where I have probably spent 100-150 nights over the years. On almost every stay, they have upgraded me to the ocean front junior suite as a legacy Plat Premier. This time they didn't and apologetically explained that the SNA program makes it harder to upgrade Ambassadors since they clear several days in advance and they had given the suites away to the SNA requesters.

So here is a hotel that follows the rules, treats repeat guests/top elites very well, but already gave away the suites to SNA's.
They didn't give anything away. Marriott, not the property, clears the SNAs.

There's nothing stopping a good operations director or rooms manager from going through the list of ambassadors and returning guests three, five or seven days before arrival dates and upgrading then. I've had plenty of upgrades show up without asking well before the 48-hour online check-in window. Heck, I've had Delta clear upgrades 6-7 days out even though officially the upgrade window is 5 days prior.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Nothing stopping any hotel from seeing which Ambassador guests are coming in over the next 7 day period, rolling, and pre-assigning upgrades. No need to blame SNAs.
I think it's fair to blame SNAs for lower availability of check-in upgrades. This would logically be especially prevalent at resort hotels like the one @C17PSGR mentioned where most people are on vacation and likely looking to use SNAs.

SNAs are clearing 5 days out in many cases whereas most hotels don't even think about blocking out upgraded rooms for any incoming guests more than 24-48 hours out except in special circumstances (such as SNAs). Properties can't block out upgrades for Ambassador's 5+ days in advance of a stay as the revenue opportunity cost for them is clearly a lot higher.

Don't get me wrong, I like SNAs, in fact I think Ambassador's should get unlimited SNAs (part of my revamp plan for the Ambassador program) but I think it's undeniable that they aren't a good development for Ambassador's who are used to getting check-in upgrades to suites because now they have a lot more competition, especially at properties mostly likely to see high SNA demand.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I've received the "you've been upgrade" notification, both under Bonvoy and before Bonvoy with legacy Marriott Rewards. However, it was never specified as an ambassador upgrade.
Me too. I'ver received them even when I haven't been upgraded!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
ignore the list properties received showing suggested upgrade order (which favored higher-night Plats/Ambassadors).

I get SPG had fewer properties.

And there have been a couple of people talking about the "list" you reference on FT. But when I've asked about it at SPG properties, they werent familiar with it. So I think it may have been something in the past.

But you're right about the looking ahead, although I don't book too many hotels seven days ahead.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by BillBurn
I think it's fair to blame SNAs for lower availability of check-in upgrades. This would logically be especially prevalent at resort hotels like the one @C17PSGR mentioned where most people are on vacation and likely looking to use SNAs.

SNAs are clearing 5 days out in many cases whereas most hotels don't even think about blocking out upgraded rooms for any incoming guests more than 24-48 hours out except in special circumstances (such as SNAs). Properties can't block out upgrades for Ambassador's 5+ days in advance of a stay as the revenue opportunity cost for them is clearly a lot higher.

Don't get me wrong, I like SNAs, in fact I think Ambassador's should get unlimited SNAs (part of my revamp plan for the Ambassador program) but I think it's undeniable that they aren't a good development for Ambassador's who are used to getting check-in upgrades to suites because now they have a lot more competition, especially at properties mostly likely to see high SNA demand.

Unlimited SNA's wouldn't cost Marriott anything and would be an excellent enhancement.

The reality is that some hotels have internal fights among the directors. Housekeeping Directors care about metrics and suites mess up their metrics. Rooms Directors care to about keeping it uncomplicated and suites complicate it.

Good GM's think about the big picture and get that there isn't any real cost to upgrading their best guests to suites and the gains associated from keeping their best guests happy is important.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:09 pm
Suspended

I get SPG had fewer properties.
Regardless of legacy Starwood's footprint or legacy Marriott's footprint, I suspect the number of properties that elites want to redeem SNAs at isn't much higher today than it was under legacy Starwood. At least if you care about getting value for SNAs and only using them at aspirational properties.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Unlimited SNA's wouldn't cost Marriott anything and would be an excellent enhancement.
Don't get me wrong, I like SNAs, in fact I think Ambassador's should get unlimited SNAs (part of my revamp plan for the Ambassador program)
There needs to be something more to differentiate ambassador from titanium, especially without a codified order of precedence for upgrades in the terms and conditions. Otherwise, why go for ambassador -- especially when your experience as an ambassador varies greatly. Unless Marriott is granting exceptions to non-U.S. customers, ambassador status probably isn't worth pursuing in Southeast Asia and the Middle East because (1) it's almost unattainable in many markets due to much lower nightly room rates and (2) there isn't a significant difference in recognition and benefits.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:27 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

But you're right about the looking ahead, although I don't book too many hotels seven days ahead.

And I book almost everything 6-12 months in advance. Which I am pretty sure contributes to my high (39 so far) success rate on SNAs and hotel initiated upgrades. I do sometimes see the upgrade on the app a week before my arrival.
C17PSGR and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:02 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Design Hotels are excluded. Marriott’s terms may be sloppy there, but Design Hotels are still excluded and always have been, even under SPG.
For what it's worth, I have just been upgraded to a junior suite at a Design hotel (I booked one category above entry level room, and received 3 category upgrade). I wish we had more data points in this thread to better assess how Design hotels handle upgrades, but anyway I am now 1/2 this year on suite upgrades at Design.
C17PSGR and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:38 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by ethernal
Right or wrong, there is some nuance here based on the length of stay. There is a difference between "Available" in the sense that you could book a room versus "Available" in the sense that they don't believe they can sell the room. In a hypothetical situation, if you have a 5-night stay and there is only 1 suite available for the length of booking, I should not reasonably expect to get that upgrade. Revenue management would say that the room could likely be sold for at least one night over the duration of the stay.

Obviously the issue here is that if you don't have a hard-and-fast rule about guaranteeing an upgrade if a room is available for booking (which is NOT what the terms and conditions say - they say "available" and then do not define "available" anywhere in the T&Cs leaving the definition up to the property) is that hotels then have complete carte blanche to say "well, there is a 0.001% chance that all 47 of our suites will get booked during a portion of your stay, therefore they are not available."
Sure it's entirely possible they could say that. But it's a crock of #2 , and clearly goes against the spirit of the rules. We should fight against BS like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Here's an easy example

Last month, I stayed at a legacy Marriott property (Marriott Waikiki) where I have probably spent 100-150 nights over the years. On almost every stay, they have upgraded me to the ocean front junior suite as a legacy Plat Premier. This time they didn't and apologetically explained that the SNA program makes it harder to upgrade Ambassadors since they clear several days in advance and they had given the suites away to the SNA requesters.

So here is a hotel that follows the rules, treats repeat guests/top elites very well, but already gave away the suites to SNA's. For someone who spends 125 nights a year on the road, that's a clear downgrade. Before SNA's, I would have had a suite. Now I lose out unless I use an SNA. I had a similar experience with an APEC legacy property that normally upgrades me to suites as a repeat guest/legacy Plat Premier where I was initially told they would give a suite if I used an SNA. I said I didn't want to use an SNA and said I wanted the suite upgrade provided under the Marriott APEC policy -- and they provided it.

But that's consistent with the legacy SPG approach which was more egalitarian and just had a very low threshold for its top tier. I realize the SNA program is a positive thing for someone who hits the 50 nights and wants to take the family on vacation. It's a negative thing, however, for those of us who are on the road 100+ nights a year. I'd be happy if SNA's were dropped.
Honestly, I understand it hurts you in this case, but I think that's fair and that's how things should be. I'm ok with everyone occasionally getting to use their SNAs on special stays. I'm ok with being passed over for an upgrade to a Platinum w/ 5 SNAs when it's a special trip for them, while for me it could very well be just yet another night alone in a hotel. On the flip side, I myself have 10 SNAs and if I could use them to secure the upgrade when it really mattered to me, that'd be a more than fair tradeoff.

If things worked like this everywhere (and some hotels didn't just opt out of SNAs arbitrarily), I'd be pretty happy with the system. Also, if Ambs got extra SNAs.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:53 pm

Unlimited SNAs sure sounds nice, though not even close to realistic.

Would also love unlimited Cat7 certificates to go along with those SNAs.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:57 pm

Good GM's think about the big picture and get that there isn't any real cost to upgrading their best guests to suites and the gains associated from keeping their best guests happy is important.
A good GM might understand why it matters to upgrade repeat guests, but upgrading Ambassadors is not nearly as clear cut. I'm an Ambassador who spends most of my travels all over the world without returning to the same hotels too frequently. Marriott would gain my loyalty by treating me well, but the GM doesn't care if I'm not likely to return anytime soon.
ethernal likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.