Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:17 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Do you manage to get it changed on the other 4 occassion?

I wonder if the reason is similar to why you cant easily change name on airline ticket (at least in Asia/Australia not sure other countries)
To prevent people hoarding ticket on very busy period and resell them (through black market) at higher price and then change the name on the ticket to buyers name.
With SPG, I was able to get it resolved easily for the previous instances. This is my first instance with Marriott.

The conference/meeting affiliation rate may be part of the IT issue in this case...but it wouldn’t have been an issue for my Ambassador with SPG. It is now with Marriott. The hotel front office manager is supposed to call me later today with a possible resolution. But I’m not optimistic. I only wanted to forestall the inevitable nightmare of getting my proper elite night credit afterward. Alas...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:44 pm

Individual booking for me.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:55 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin

With SPG, I was able to get it resolved easily for the previous instances. This is my first instance with Marriott.

The conference/meeting affiliation rate may be part of the IT issue in this case...but it wouldn’t have been an issue for my Ambassador with SPG. It is now with Marriott. The hotel front office manager is supposed to call me later today with a possible resolution. But I’m not optimistic. I only wanted to forestall the inevitable nightmare of getting my proper elite night credit afterward. Alas...
Marriott Burbank Airport front office manager just fixed my room account issue. VERY helpful, very genuine, a credit to Marriott. As was the original supervisor who also tried, actually. Surprise, surprise!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I've had an ambassador for two years. As I tend to go to the same properties, where I know the front desk staff by name, I rarely use my ambassador. If I want a suite, I just ask the front desk in advance and they make that happen. Typically larger than standard suites too. If my wife is coming, I tell them it's a special occasion, and we get wine, chocolates, cookies for the kids, etc.

I did reach out to my ambassador a few times recently and had a very positive experience. The first time to shorten a reservation made months earlier for a now sold out property. She contacted the property and took care of that. I also got upgraded from a junior to a larger suite, although I'm not sure about why.

This week, we're going on our annual ski holiday in Canada. My ambassador reached out to the property to get me a free 16 night suite upgrade, without using any SNAs (I still have 15). I'm super happy about that.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
100 nights isn't much of a threshold. 125 or 150 nights, especially now that you can't game the system with events, would be enough to thin the ranks.

$20,000 is a high threshold for people staying in flyover country and Southeast Asia, but not that high for someone who only stays at hotels in New York, Boston, San Francisco, Washington, Los Angeles, Miami, London and Paris.
Someone else had the idea (maybe it was even you) that I very much agree with--your STATUS should be based on number of nights, and the addition of Ambassador SERVICE should be based on spend. There could be platinum premier members who stay many nights at low-cost properties (who get the commensurate benefits), and base members who have an Ambassador (to provide them the personalized service a high-spender deserves and probably expects).

I think elite benefits should be independent of the Ambassador service, and vice versa. Of course there will also be many road warriors who qualify for both platinum premier status and Ambassador service, but I don't think Ambassador should be considered an elite level "above" platinum premier (as many here seem to think it is). Even today the level is called "Platinum Premier WITH Ambassador", not PPE+A as many of us abbreviate it in our profiles here.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:56 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

How convenient it would be for so many were elite status only dictated by number of nights and Ambassador service (and it is a status, too, in case anyone missed that) were dictated by some minimum spend. How convenient that would be for the road warriors spending $90 a night on government or corporate rates. How convenient that would be for customers staying at less expensive properties. How convenient that would be for people who don’t spend as much as so many others.

Marriott wants to reward the customers that are most lucrative. Period.

Fortunately, Marriott smartly learned from its own metrics and those of SPG. It also learned from the airlines. Better to continue to allow the old elite Marriott and SPG structure of 25, 50, 75, and 100 nights...but only allow top tier of 100 nights for the most lucrative customers who spend the most. Marriott presumably chose the $20K spending threshold with 100 nights because their numbers suggested a population of Ambassador level guests that could achieve those thresholds which Marriott believed was appropriate.

Marriott’s $20K spending threshold also mitigates what I always presumed was a SPG bias toward those Ambassador guests who spent the most.

My guess is is that the future eventually will bring an even higher spending threshold for Ambassador status. Perhaps a spending threshold for Platinum Premier. Whatever will cull the Plat Premier and Ambassador guest numbers after 2020 to the population goals that Marriott intends.
txpenny likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:36 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Someone else had the idea (maybe it was even you) that I very much agree with--your STATUS should be based on number of nights, and the addition of Ambassador SERVICE should be based on spend. There could be platinum premier members who stay many nights at low-cost properties (who get the commensurate benefits), and base members who have an Ambassador (to provide them the personalized service a high-spender deserves and probably expects).

I think elite benefits should be independent of the Ambassador service, and vice versa. Of course there will also be many road warriors who qualify for both platinum premier status and Ambassador service, but I don't think Ambassador should be considered an elite level "above" platinum premier (as many here seem to think it is). Even today the level is called "Platinum Premier WITH Ambassador", not PPE+A as many of us abbreviate it in our profiles here.
Isn't that the way it is now, with a spend + night requirement for the ambassador service? Not like you get anything else at that level.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
This is all splitting hairs. There are winners and losers with each way of qualifying for status. Marriott’s only just decided what theirs will be for the new programme and I hope they will stick with what they have and work to actually get the benefits realised on the ground for the next year or two as opposed to instead focusing on changing things again.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by helvetic
Isn't that the way it is now, with a spend + night requirement for the ambassador service? Not like you get anything else at that level.
I think what DJ_Iceman was proposing was to separate the two and allow ANY status tier capable of having Ambassador service solely based upon their spend. I also feel this makes sense. If Marriott wants to court the high spenders then do so without regard for the number of nights. Facilitating spending money at Marriott has got to have positive impact on the bottom line. Using nights to wrangle in the road warriors also has an impact.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by helvetic
NO, for this status year (PPwithAMB through January 2020) there's not yet a revenue requirement for those who had 100+ legacy Starwood nights.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by cmatthews11
Started out promising with my first ambassador, but now that I'm onto my second one... my last three emails over the last 6 weeks have gone without a response. Color me impressed.
People here will say that what you get out of your Ambassador is based on your relationship with them. I disagree to a certain extent. While that may be true for motivated ambassadors, you always have some that are unmotivated (like any employee at any work place). My ambassador is all nice when we talk on the phone but she has never asked for my preferences when I first got her (like many others have reported here), Early on, I once got a bottle of tequilla when I told her I was going for a special trip with my wife (we never used the tequilla and this is another example of her never asking what our preferences were), there are many times I have had to explain to her how Marriott lifetime status will work, she has sent me links that dont work, etc. Basically very reactive rather than proactive and not very motivated. Its one of the reasons I didn't bother to go for 100 nights last year when I could have as I didnt see much value. And at this point with a month left, I dont even care to ask to get another one.

If you just started your Ambassador status, I would suggest requesting someone different now.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by bhrubin
... My guess is is that the future eventually will bring an even higher spending threshold for Ambassador status. Perhaps a spending threshold for Platinum Premier. Whatever will cull the Plat Premier and Ambassador guest numbers after 2020 to the population goals that Marriott intends.
I'll get flamed for this, but I'm hoping for an increase in spending requirement. Based on the numerous complaints of non-responsiveness, it seems the ambassador population needs to be adjusted downward to make ambassador an effective program.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by txpenny
I'll get flamed for this, but I'm hoping for an increase in spending requirement. Based on the numerous complaints of non-responsiveness, it seems the ambassador population needs to be adjusted downward to make ambassador an effective program.
That is presuming MPG will maintain their current staff and not reduce it as members roll off the program. If the bean counters are in charge then they will work to keep the same ratio or raise it so each ambassador has the same or more members assigned.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I am pretty sure that Marriott fixing their IT and rolling out some Ambassador training and SOPs will benefit service much more than just increasing the minimum spend.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The numbers will go down on February 1, so hopefully service will go up!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.