Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:10 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Careful what you wish for… eventually it'll all be based on spend.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by helvetic
Careful what you wish for… eventually it'll all be based on spend.
And some will be happy and some will not ..... just another day in FT
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
i'm sure they do....my father-in-law is one of them....over the last few years he has been spending 30-40 nights at spg/marriott properties & his average spend is well over $2k per night....
Has your father in law ever been invited to Ambassador or any other status above Gold ? It’s clear that Marriott reserves the right to invite folks to Ambassador without meeting the nights requirement. However , I am not sure we have heard from anyone in FT that they were invited and what they spent .
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Mister Nice

i agree that many guests paying for premium accommodations are not worried about free breakfast . However , it’s the other benefits of top tier that hold value for travelers .
1. Access to the top tier of customer service support with an Ambassador
2. 48 hour reservation guarantee
3. Your 24
4. 4 pm late checkout
these benefits can hold great value for the corporate traveler and leisure traveler alike
it’s not necessarily the points , breakfast, or upgrades that matter to a certain traveler profile

If you're paying cash for a suite at $1,800 a night or $10,000 for airfare then you probably either have a travel agent or a personal assistant who can be your "ambassador." As for hotel availability, let's face it: If you can afford $1,800 a night then you can probably afford the going rate for a hotel room if you wake up this morning and decide to fly to Paris tonight.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Has your father in law ever been invited to Ambassador or any other status above Gold ? It’s clear that Marriott reserves the right to invite folks to Ambassador without meeting the nights requirement. However , I am not sure we have heard from anyone in FT that they were invited and what they spent .
not to my knowledge....after many years i convinced him to sign up for various hotel programs....initially he just used his travel agent to make all his hotel reservations....even now he sometimes forgets to give his marriott number for a number of his stays & i have to follow up to get him the credit....honestly, he could care less about the ambassador program....he gets treated like royalty everywhere he goes because of his spend....
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:41 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If you're paying cash for a suite at $1,800 a night or $10,000 for airfare then you probably either have a travel agent or a personal assistant who can be your "ambassador." As for hotel availability, let's face it: If you can afford $1,800 a night then you can probably afford the going rate for a hotel room if you wake up this morning and decide to fly to Paris tonight.
The point of an ambassador is not to help with anything that I could do myself. A personal assistant can't replace insider access and someone from Marriott corporate who tells the hotel this upgrade really matters, etc.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by helvetic
The point of an ambassador is not to help with anything that I could do myself. A personal assistant can't replace insider access and someone from Marriott corporate who tells the hotel this upgrade really matters, etc.
Again, if you're buying a suite outright an upgrade probably doesn't matter.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Keyser
not to my knowledge....after many years i convinced him to sign up for various hotel programs....initially he just used his travel agent to make all his hotel reservations....even now he sometimes forgets to give his marriott number for a number of his stays & i have to follow up to get him the credit....honestly, he could care less about the ambassador program....he gets treated like royalty everywhere he goes because of his spend....
I guess when you spends $1800/ night, even first timer non member guests will be treated like royalty
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:32 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
For me, the point of having an Ambassador is to elevate my Marriott experience and hotel stays.

I work with my Ambassador like we’re both part of the same team. I treat her as such. Anyone who manages a team or owns a business likely knows the benefit of such an approach.

I know my Ambassador is a cog in a big wheel. My Ambassador can only make requests of hotels and of Marriott corporate that don’t or can’t always fulfill those requests. I almost always assume my Ambassador isn’t the culprit when things go awry—because I almost always have discovered that to be the case. I trust my Ambassador; my Ambassador knows I have her back, too.

I prefer to book my own hotel stays. I rarely need or almost never expect my Ambassador to book anything for me.

I really appreciate my Ambassador impressing upon hotels—for my most important leisure stays with my husband—the importance of a suite upgrade whenever that may be available. That being said, I maximize my own chances by almost always choosing shoulder or low seasons with lower occupancy. I avoid holidays. I avoid special festivals and celebrations. And I have realistic expectations when a hotel is actually full—and say so both to my Ambassador and to the hotels in question. Everyone appreciates candor and understanding.

I really appreciate my Ambassador reminding hotels to have my rooms/suites pre-cooled to 67 F so I can better ensure the air con will meet my need. That being said, I don’t assume my Ambassador is the culprit whenever this isn’t executed. Even Ritz-Carlton and Luxury Collection hotels have failed in this capacity on a number of occasions, even when I know for certain that my Ambassador reminded them. (I can’t recall a StR failing to know this and at least make the effort, even if it hasn’t always worked out.)

I really appreciate my Ambassador status giving me a VIP priority at most hotels, whether it be because my Ambassador has adevised them or because I have on my own. This is a benefit I enjoy and expect most often at luxury and some upper upscale hotels.

I really appreciate that my Ambassador will try to take care of any and every issue I have with Marriott. She may not always be able to sort my problem as fast as I’d like due to circumstances beyond her control. But I always know she does her very best to sort them for me. And they almost always get sorted.

When any Ambassador has done something that has disappointed or frustrated me, I’ve told them. And I’ve told my Ambassador, too. As a result, my Ambassador and the general Ambassador team has a very good idea of what makes me tick and how best to fulfill my expectations. They don’t wonder what my priorities are. They know.

damon88, rny321 and kaizen7 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin
For me, the point of having an Ambassador is to elevate my Marriott experience and hotel stays.

I work with my Ambassador like we’re both part of the same team. I treat her as such. Anyone who manages a team or owns a business likely knows the benefit of such an approach.

I know my Ambassador is a cog in a big wheel. My Ambassador can only make requests of hotels and of Marriott corporate that don’t or can’t always fulfill those requests. I almost always assume my Ambassador isn’t the culprit when things go awry—because I almost always have discovered that to be the case. I trust my Ambassador; my Ambassador knows I have her back, too.

I prefer to book my own hotel stays. I rarely need or almost never expect my Ambassador to book anything for me.

I really appreciate my Ambassador impressing upon hotels—for my most important leisure stays with my husband—the importance of a suite upgrade whenever that may be available. That being said, I maximize my own chances by almost always choosing shoulder or low seasons with lower occupancy. I avoid holidays. I avoid special festivals and celebrations. And I have realistic expectations when a hotel is actually full—and say so both to my Ambassador and to the hotels in question. Everyone appreciates candor and understanding.

I really appreciate my Ambassador reminding hotels to have my rooms/suites pre-cooled to 67 F so I can better ensure the air con will meet my need. That being said, I don’t assume my Ambassador is the culprit whenever this isn’t executed. Even Ritz-Carlton and Luxury Collection hotels have failed in this capacity on a number of occasions, even when I know for certain that my Ambassador reminded them. (I can’t recall a StR failing to know this and at least make the effort, even if it hasn’t always worked out.)

I really appreciate my Ambassador status giving me a VIP priority at most hotels, whether it be because my Ambassador has adevised them or because I have on my own. This is a benefit I enjoy and expect most often at luxury and some upper upscale hotels.

I really appreciate that my Ambassador will try to take care of any and every issue I have with Marriott. She may not always be able to sort my problem as fast as I’d like due to circumstances beyond her control. But I always know she does her very best to sort them for me. And they almost always get sorted.

When any Ambassador has done something that has disappointed or frustrated me, I’ve told them. And I’ve told my Ambassador, too. As a result, my Ambassador and the general Ambassador team has a very good idea of what makes me tick and how best to fulfill my expectations. They don’t wonder what my priorities are. They know.

I'm amazed that I can't EVER get my extra feather pillows, but you can get rooms "pre-cooled" to 67 degrees.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:46 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Hi
I'm amazed that I can't EVER get my extra feather pillows, but you can get rooms "pre-cooled" to 67 degrees.
At what hotel brands do you most often stay? I think that may make a difference.

Though I already mentioned that several RC and LuxColl properties missed on presetting my air con—even as my regular Sheraton Philly and Boston, Le Meridien Cambridge and Arlington, and Four Points Chelsea and Midtown did preset for me.

Regardless, I still expect the luxury brands (and hotels where I’m a frequent guest or where I bring large groups) to be better overall at accommodating my special requests. I expect most “upper upscale” and “upscale” brands to not be so good at handling special requests. I wouldn’t expect much from “midscale” select service brands at all, since special requests are anathema to their less personal service-oriented standards.

Again, I firmly believe that better hotels and hotels that better know us are far more likely to execute the special requests that our Ambassadors make on our behalf.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 30, 2018 at 1:54 pm
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I suspect that having a healthy annual spend is also pretty useful.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
His answer would either be:

a) because youre not staying at a high end/upper class/luxury property
b) youre not making an effort to build rapport with your ambassador
c) your spend is not high enough
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:58 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by supatight80
His answer would either be:

a) because youre not staying at a high end/upper class/luxury property
b) youre not making an effort to build rapport with your ambassador
c) your spend is not high enough
a) I do believe the brand standard (and concomitant hotel standard) for personalized service can have significant impact whenever a customer or an Ambassador makes a special request
b) I’m not sure this quantifiable
c) I don’t think this matters as much now that all new Ambassador guests already are screened for spend and/or invited despite it
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Using your example , let’s say you do 2 weeks a year in that suite and spend $24,000 before other spend (and very few sporadic nights elsewhere ) - are you suggesting that you would be content with Gold status ? That spend would give you top tier and the attendant benefits with competitors . I truly believe that any property owner /manager loves having guests that pay top dollar for premium rooms and would be more than willing to offer a breakfast benefit and 4pm late checkout for anyone spending $1800 per night . In reality , they don’t have to offer you either as a Gold who has the spend but not the nights .
Any hotel manager is free to set terms and rates so that (top) suites include breakfast and late checkout privileges. In fact, in many cases, someone booking such a suite would have some communication in advance with the property or its GM and would negotiate check in/out times, etc., or would have a real live human personal travel agent do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.