FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1906860-marriott-bonvoy-ambassador-elite-level-experiences-2020-earlier.html)

hockeyinsider Dec 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by swintec (Post 30554743)
By the looks of it, any platinum premier would receive this note and drinks, no? With that said, it would prove my point above.

This was my first stay at this property since before August, but they never did it before.

C17PSGR Dec 19, 2018 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 30553373)
Ambassador is a distinct status. Expecting an occasional thank you note or an occasional in-room amenity is pretty basic. It's not like I'm asking for air conditioning to be set at 67 degrees or for my bath water to be drawn for me.

Not sure that Ambassador is a distinct status currently. It wasn't a distinct status at Marriott pre 8/18 and in the SPG world before 8/18, Plat was a status that had additional benefits when you hit different night thresholds, including the ambassador benefit at 100 nights. SPG hotels did not know whether a person had an ambassador or whether they had hit the 75 night threshold unless an ambassador contacted the property. Marriott had a code but it was only recognized once in the years I had an ambassador.

Your housekeeper chart highlights the issue that several Plat Premiers were staying on your floor alone. That's consistent with a comment by the FD in a large Atlanta area legacy Marriott property who told me everyone is plat premier now.

Under the old system, a legacy Marriott property could treat Plat Premiers differently because there wouldn't be more than a handful there at a time. Admittedly, it was inconsistent but I've been upgraded to huge suites, frequent handwritten notes or personal contact from GM's. and unexpected room service many times before 8/18 because of the old Plat Premier status. I don't think legacy Marriott properties are treating those with the ambassador benefit in the same way., Some with ambassador status at SPG would receive special recognition as well when their ambassador contacted the property or they were repeat guests.

That being said, in a recent stay, the screen at the FD showed me as having Ambassador status so this may be changing under Bonvoy! Then again, I''ve had a few stays since then and they are still showing the same screen as always and didn't notice anything beyond Plat Premier.

So, perhaps, Ambassador will be a distinct status soon!

hockeyinsider Dec 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30554835)
Not sure that Ambassador is a distinct status currently. It wasn't a distinct status at Marriott pre 8/18 and in the SPG world before 8/18, Plat was a status that had additional benefits when you hit different night thresholds, including the ambassador benefit at 100 nights. SPG hotels did not know whether a person had an ambassador or whether they had hit the 75 night threshold unless an ambassador contacted the property. Marriott had a code but it was only recognized once in the years I had an ambassador.

Your housekeeper chart highlights the issue that several Plat Premiers were staying on your floor alone. That's consistent with a comment by the FD in a large Atlanta area legacy Marriott property who told me everyone is plat premier now.

Under the old system, a legacy Marriott property could treat Plat Premiers differently because there wouldn't be more than a handful there at a time. Admittedly, it was inconsistent but I've been upgraded to huge suites, frequent handwritten notes or personal contact from GM's. and unexpected room service many times before 8/18 because of the old Plat Premier status. I don't think legacy Marriott properties are treating those with the ambassador benefit in the same way., Some with ambassador status at SPG would receive special recognition as well when their ambassador contacted the property or they were repeat guests.

That being said, in a recent stay, the screen at the FD showed me as having Ambassador status so this may be changing under Bonvoy! Then again, I''ve had a few stays since then and they are still showing the same screen as always and didn't notice anything beyond Plat Premier.

So, perhaps, Ambassador will be a distinct status soon!

It's listed on the chart of elite statuses as a distinct status. And, the recognition I have received during almost all of my stays since August, including at legacy SPG properties, has been as a "platinum premier ambassador" or "ambassador" when checking in at the front desk.

C17PSGR Dec 19, 2018 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 30554855)
It's listed on the chart of elite statuses as a distinct status. And, the recognition I have received during almost all of my stays since August, including at legacy SPG properties, has been as a "platinum premier ambassador" or "ambassador" when checking in at the front desk.

I would like it to be and to have upgrades prioritized but that's not how I interpret it The program describes it as Plat Premier with Ambassador and refers to Ambassador service.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...-ambassador.mi

helvetic Dec 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 30550951)
My ambassador used to be excellent, always quick responses. That was until August 18. After that, night & day. In September-October I thought I will be patient, things will get better so no need to be the squeaky wheel. Then November went by, no change. Now past mid December, still no change. I know it's not her fault since she was always great before - the workload is the issue. If I was ex-Marriott and got newly assigned to her, I would think she is no good. But having some history with her, I know it's not the case.

How much longer should I wait to see if it will get better? This is getting problematic. One month fine, two months ok... but I am not sure I want to go several more months like this - it devalues the Ambassador program. I have expressed my concerns to her in writing, but no response to that either :(

Originally Posted by SeeTheLights (Post 30550974)

i am having the exact same problem. My ambassador used to be so amazing. She would respond in 24 hours. She would be so proactive and often preupgrade me to suites etc. Now she doesn’t respond at all to emails. I have to call her. She admitted she is so overwhelmed and apologizes each time. But she just ignores my requests and doesn’t do anything about it unless I call multiple times. I have now started emailing general ambassador line to get help. (They respond within 24 hours.). I have had her for 3 years and felt like she was the best but lately it is becoming such an issue. I, too, have been patient and hesitant to get a new ambassador but not sure what to do at this point. I have already qualified through 2020 but feel like I am losing out.

Exact same story as you ��

hockeyinsider Dec 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30554876)
I would like it to be and to have upgrades prioritized but that's not how I interpret it The program describes it as Plat Premier with Ambassador and refers to Ambassador service.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...-ambassador.mi

Ambassador is clearly a distinct status. Look at this:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ac0b0f3edb.png

helvetic Dec 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 30554855)

We must not be be staying at the same hotels then, because in my few years of being Ambassador never have I been recognized as such by a front desk.

C17PSGR Dec 19, 2018 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 30554997)
We must not be be staying at the same hotels then, because in my few years of being Ambassador never have I been recognized as such by a front desk.

I have over 135 nights this year, mostly legacy Marriott with 110/25 split.

I have been recognized as having an Ambassador at check in only three times. Two involved properties where my ambassador had made requests so they saw that at check in. The third was at a Renn where the FD agent texplained to me the new screen and showed where it reflected Ambassador.

And ... I find recognition at the Mayflower to be very good. I often received very nice suites there as a legacy Plat Premier. They have a very good and engaged GM.

hockeyinsider Dec 19, 2018 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30555110)
And ... I find recognition at the Mayflower to be very good. I often received very nice suites there as a legacy Plat Premier. They have a very good and engaged GM.

It's also managed by Marriott International. Again, as I said before, pretty much all of my subpar experiences have been at properties managed by a third-party.

I suspect if we were to start a thread and keep track of everyone's experience we would find a correlation between a guest's experience or recognition and who manages the property.

hockeyinsider Dec 19, 2018 9:39 pm

I've been calling the general ambassador telephone number for the last hour; maybe 7-8 times. It rings and then goes to the automated prompt and then rings again in normal U.S. ringtones for a moment before clearly transferring to what sounds like British or European ringtones. The noticeably different ringtone continues and then eventually the operator comes on and says the call can't be completed as dialed. Obviously, there's an issue with the overnight transfer to whatever call center is being used.

MSPeconomist Dec 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Have you tried calling your own ambassador's number, knowing that he/she won't be working at this time, and then following the prompts to be transferred to the next available ambassador, IIRC by hitting zero? OTOH, if an ambassador isn't busy maybe it's because he/she isn't being responsive to requests from people who are assigned to him/her, so this might not be good. Maybe Starriott is starting new ambassadors on the general ambassador team phone, like new FAs sit reserve until they have the seniority to bid for routes they want to work.

bhrubin Dec 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Maybe some Ambassadors are actually intentionally being less than responsive so their more “challenging” or demanding Ambassador guests switch to someone else...or switch to Hilton.

The saga continues...

May the Ambassador be with you.

EuropeanPete Dec 19, 2018 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30554835)
SPG hotels did not know whether a person had an ambassador or whether they had hit the 75 night threshold unless an ambassador contacted the property.!

You keep saying this, but it’s always been untrue - as has been pointed out to you many times now.

goodeats21 Dec 20, 2018 9:55 am

Crossed into Ambassador status earlier this month. Was pleasantly surprised to get an email from my ambassador within a couple of days.

I am heading into some Marriott-Free travel time, so won't have an opportunity to try out any services for awhile....Based on this thread, not really expecting much anyway.

MostlyUA Dec 20, 2018 11:44 am

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 30554997)

My ambassador is either overwhelmed, lazy or inexperienced.

As for hotels, I don't recall being recognized for having an Ambassador status. The FD staff and Concierges at the hotels I normally stay in the cities I normally visit all know me either by name or face. Sometimes, the hotel management puts chocolates or some lame fruit plate, neither of which I consume. The welcome gifts have never come from the ambassador. I just checked my Marriott App, and I have spent 120 nights at a Marriott property this year for over $50K -- over a third of the nights this year was spent in a hotel room -- now, that's a sad statistic.

By the way, what would make me happy? A split of wine and some nuts. My Ambassador's replies are "I'll see what I can do" which means she's not going to do anything.