FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1906860-marriott-bonvoy-ambassador-elite-level-experiences-2020-earlier.html)

hockeyinsider Dec 13, 2018 6:26 am

Originally Posted by ny.traveler (Post 30530383)
i am currently majorly underwhelmed.

Since getting a new ambassador in early November -- my old one never responded to emails -- I have had seven stays of which three involved the ambassador. My stays were at Autograph Collection, Sheraton, J.W. Marriott and Marriott properties.

I was upgraded to a suite at three of these stays; one involving the ambassador but also my suite night award certificate, one involving my ambassador without any certificates, and the other at a stay not involving my ambassador. With the upgrade using the certificate, the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House in London declined to extend to me the privileges and amenities associated with the suite. With the other ambassador-involved upgrade, at the Casa Monica, Autograph Collection, both of us had to fight for a basic suite because the property refused to upgrade. At the other property, the Marriott Toronto Airport, I was upgraded to their best suite almost a full day before arrival but the ambassador didn't help with this.

So I don't really notice any difference at all. No in-room amenities, not even a bottle of wine. No thank you notes. About half the properties haven't correctly recognized ambassador status at check-in. Funny enough the incorrect recognition has been at legacy Marriott properties, not legacy SPG properties.

Only one of the seven properties has fulfilled any of the special requests. This includes special requests I attached to each reservation and special requests she also requested when communicating with the ambassador liaisons at the properties for the three stays she helped facilitate. My requests are feather pillows, extra towels and extra feather pillows.

StephanP37 Dec 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Marriott ambassador

For me Marriott ambassador has been an absolute nightmare, time waster, and honestly 100% worthless to the point that I actually bought the domain name marriottambassador.com and am considering having my team create a blog detailing how horrific it’s been. From yanking the status back and forth before and after the merger to being promised upgrades or gifts or early check ins again and again and again only to find out when I check in the hotel was never even called (this literally happened 6 times before I gave up).

At this point the program is so disgusting to me and I spend so much time following up again and again and again that I have decided not to even mess with it. This is sad because from the beginning I was extremely excited about this program. Anyone else have similar feedback or have any non Starwood members gotten positive results as Marriott members tying for the first time?

ive spent $28K for the year so far and will remain loyal to Marriott but to me this program has put a negative look on the entire company and brand.

ucfjoe Dec 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Well you get a point for actually buying the domain. I can’t believe it was available. If it all holds true then it’s safe to say someone will get fired over that. I can’t say I care enough to try and start my own anti-website especially if you want to continue as an Ambassador but I’m sure I will find it entertaining. I’ll probably hit Ambassador by year end and well I’ve set my expectations pretty low.

StephanP37 Dec 13, 2018 8:29 pm

I was surprised it was available too - I’d hate for anyone to get fired but hopefully if I do devote that time to it maybe it will have a small impact on changing the culture of it. Marriott overall is a great company and I know mergers suck for the employees more than anyone so I tried to be pretty patient but yeah I wouldn’t get your hopes up it’s really amazing how consistently bad that department has been.

GTJoe Dec 14, 2018 4:22 pm

A bit of context here: I am at about the 11 year mark with Marriott Rewards. I was given Platinum Premier status in January (when it was still unpublished). I hit Lifetime Platinum under the old standards in March. After the merger, I was bounced around between Platinum Premier + Ambassador, 5 Star + Ambassador, then finally to the new "Platinum Premier." Despite previously having the top-tier status according to the old rules, I hadn't hit 20k in spend for 2018 in August, but I would by the end of the year.

Bringing us to the present, I hit the $20k in spend in early December. The stay posted on a Tuesday and by Friday, I had an e-mail from my newly assigned Ambassador. Much to my delight, she was a legacy Starwood Ambassador and she has been in that role for a number of years. I called her on that Friday to get acquainted and to ask some questions of her. I had a stay that went sideways this week, but I attribute that to the hotel being slammed rather than my Ambassador, as she was just assigned a few days earlier. I dropped her a voicemail and she called me back the next morning. She's responded to all of my e-mails, sometimes within a few minutes. Time will tell as far as to how much actual benefit she brings to the table, but I'm pleased with the experience so far.

RogerD408 Dec 14, 2018 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by StephanP37 (Post 30533003)
For me Marriott ambassador has been an absolute nightmare, time waster, and honestly 100% worthless to the point that I actually bought the domain name marriottambassador.com and am considering having my team create a blog detailing how horrific it’s been. From yanking the status back and forth before and after the merger to being promised upgrades or gifts or early check ins again and again and again only to find out when I check in the hotel was never even called (this literally happened 6 times before I gave up).

At this point the program is so disgusting to me and I spend so much time following up again and again and again that I have decided not to even mess with it. This is sad because from the beginning I was extremely excited about this program. Anyone else have similar feedback or have any non Starwood members gotten positive results as Marriott members tying for the first time?

ive spent $28K for the year so far and will remain loyal to Marriott but to me this program has put a negative look on the entire company and brand.

Yes, there have been reports of bad/poor performance ambassadors, more than just yours. However, it's not appropriate the throw away the entire program due to a few people. If MPG would publish a hard list of what services are to be delivered and allow some wiggle room for specials (vacation trips, celebratory trips, etc.) and hold the ambassadors to it, I think there would be more meat to the program. But if they are allowed to do whatever, no matter how little, then it's nothing more than a crap shoot with some very pleased and some very dissatisfied.

HHQX888 Dec 15, 2018 6:16 am

If I read GTJoe post, I think PPE+ Ambassador status on old SPG rulez will be only marketing joke if we will have this ambassadors it will be virtual person which will support by several changing employees of old Platinum desk.
Middle November I finish my 100 nights in SPG hotels till now I am still PPE only in system, normaly at december I have organized holidays already until May.2019 but this year I don't make decision waiting what BONTON will promise us.

hockeyinsider Dec 15, 2018 6:41 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30537444)
Yes, there have been reports of bad/poor performance ambassadors, more than just yours. However, it's not appropriate the throw away the entire program due to a few people. If MPG would publish a hard list of what services are to be delivered and allow some wiggle room for specials (vacation trips, celebratory trips, etc.) and hold the ambassadors to it, I think there would be more meat to the program. But if they are allowed to do whatever, no matter how little, then it's nothing more than a crap shoot with some very pleased and some very dissatisfied.

To be fair, the biggest flaw is no matter the competence of the ambassador it is the individual hotel that is responsible for delivering. Marriott has dozens of brands and thousands of properties, most of which are managed by third-party management companies.

I've been requesting extra feather pillows and extra towels on each and every reservation for three years now. I'd guess that over 90% of hotels fail to deliver these simple requests. Even with my ambassador making the requests for me only 1 out of the last 7 stays have had them. I mean, seriously: If they can't do this simple request how can they fulfill a special occasion request by an ambassador for a guest with ambassador status?

And even if they do something for a special occasion what is the quality? For example, the Sheraton Detroit Airport upgraded me to their biggest suite (very appreciated) without me asking and sent me a bottle of Barefoot sparkling wine and a plate of cheddar cheese cubes. I appreciate the thought, but come on. Barefoot sparkling wine? That's maybe $7 at Walmart. And the cheese? It looked like it was leftover from the club lounge buffet.

cmatthews11 Dec 15, 2018 7:02 am

Overall, this "perk" has been useless for me. Emails going unanswered or unresolved and I'm on mu second ambassador already. The only thing my current ambassador wants to help with is actually booking rooms, which is the last thing I would ever need help with.

CBlasek Dec 16, 2018 9:34 am

Ambassador service

I’m on my last week of travel and will end with 96 nights with Marriott. I’m currently a plat premier elite, my question is it worth booking 4 nights to reach ambassador service? I stay at le Meridien, marriotts, and Westin’s mostly domestic. I don’t see any other benefits with ambassador service. I have the dollar spend, just short the nights.

CCIE_Flyer Dec 16, 2018 9:48 am

Sorry, but there are no shortage of "Amb is everything" vs "Amb is nothing" threads in circulation here.

e.g. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ad-merged.html

Edit: Also, you didn't mention your annual spend for 2018, which is a component of Amb qualification.

PrivatePilotDR40 Dec 16, 2018 9:48 am

Im in a similar situation, in that I will be around 3 nights short... Some ideas I am debating is either use my Plat Prem Elite bonus and take 5 nights towards status... or book some rewards nights at a cheap low category hotel near me.
Another thought for you, is how much value will you gain from being Ambassador? I think the biggest benefit is the 24 hour check in/check out feature.

margarita girl Dec 16, 2018 10:25 am

Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40 (Post 30541430)
I think the biggest benefit is the 24 hour check in/check out feature.

Which appears to be a shadow of its former self based on some posts here.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...-nights-4.html

wdma Dec 16, 2018 10:42 am

However, it depends - I was successful in claiming it 5/5 times in past two months

Anyway, imo the main benefit is the ambassador service - I couldn't imagine going through regular customer service desk anymore...

Segments Dec 16, 2018 10:52 am

Originally Posted by wdma (Post 30541594)
However, it depends - I was successful in claiming it 5/5 times in past two months

Anyway, imo the main benefit is the ambassador service - I couldn't imagine going through regular customer service desk anymore...

While others have found service offered by the Platinum desk to be superior to the Ambassador offering. YMMV