LAX Marriott [Master Thread]

Old Nov 4, 00, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
LAX Marriott [Master Thread]

Looking for candid comments about this property - especially interested in Concierge Lounge comments, TV channel availability, airport shuttle service, newness of room furniture.

Thanks to all in advance.
Old Nov 5, 00, 12:11 pm

It's been a year or so since I stayed here but, as far as I can remember, it was just another standard-issue Marriott. It's rather large and there can be huge crowds at check-in. The lounge is nice, but nothing special. The staff is efficient and pleasant. They charge for parking and the location is not terribly convenient to anything other than the airport. I've heard nicer things about the Airport Renaissance, although I've never stayed there.
Old Nov 5, 00, 8:04 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
I stayed there a lot, even when not flying. Then they lost their Marriott touch over a year ago with the new Awards program. Even during remodeling, no considerations from temporary front desk. Good rates are harder to find.

Apparently there was a multi million dollar renovation of public areas. The rooms have had wear and tear and remain so. Unless you are Gold forget the "When you are confortable, you can do anything" Marriott slogan!
Old Nov 5, 00, 8:37 pm
Original Member

I was put up there two weeks ago by AA due to a misconnect. Rooms were ok -- standard Marriott. Shuttle service was fine -- took 10 minutes for pickup. On the return, I think they leave every 1/2 hour.

I was there for 5 hours -- so I cannot comment on the rest (except at 5:45 am -- there are no facilites open (i.e. coffee, juice etc...)

-Jim
Old Nov 6, 00, 6:03 am

Can't recall if I've ever been to the LAX property, but was at the Renaissance LAX in April, and was pretty impressed. Excellent food, nice lobby, rooms are fairly standard-sized but feel pretty new.
Old Nov 7, 00, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Globalist
I can give another thumbs-up for the Renaissance LAX. Nice furnishings and lobby. Very nice service.

Run a search on the messages in this section. The Marriott LAX has gotten rather mixed reviews here in the past
Old Nov 18, 00, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I stayed there last week (at a priceline.com rate).

Compared with one year ago and two years ago (at regular rates), I believe the property has improved, due no doubt to the refurbishment but especially because of more welcoming staff.

TV selection poor, with only 20 channels or so. How can it be that most Days Inns and the like can have far more cable programming?

$11 per day for parking. When I stayed there before, I didn't pay for parking. They seem to have almost completed a new underground parking facility.

I also stayed at the Renaissance last week at a priceline.com rate. Superficially OK, but I prefer the Marriott. Odd situation at breakfast. My wife ate a la carte, I took continental. They only charged for my wife. I pointed out their error. (OK, but I did.) This caused a lot of confusion, and I eventually got a new check with the two breakfasts showing. Not a word of apology or thanks. Also, how much 'service' (tip) should I add for a self-service breakfast?

Old Nov 19, 00, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Any more comments anyone?

Thanks to all thus far for the advice.
Old Nov 21, 00, 9:48 am

Small rooms...food is good and nice sports bar facility...But, for my money (and points), I stay at the Renaissance. No sports bar, but the rooms are much nicer, larger and more elegant. As far as the food is concerned, the Renaissance beat the LAX Marriott, hands-down!

Also, at the LAX Marriott, there is too much hussle and bussle over there. They use the parking facility as an "off-site" long-term parking alternative for LAX and it attracts non-guests. This fact just adds to the mass of humanity and is more of a reason why I try to avoid this property and go to the Renaissance.
Old Nov 22, 00, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL-PM, 1MM; HH-Gold; Avis First
It's been at least a year and a half since I stayed at the LAX Marriott. I can't recall anything special other than the best Shoeshine Man I've ever seen. He was in the lobby around the back. When I got there he had two guys in the chairs and both were finishing up on their 6th or 7th pair of shoes respectively. They both told me that it was worth it to wait. I have never seen an old pair of shoes look better...better than new.
Old Jul 1, 01, 9:48 pm

Any Updates on this Property?
Old Dec 4, 11, 10:41 pm

LAX Marriott vs LAX Hilton

I realize they're roughly co-located, but any advice re: preference for 1 night stay with wicked early next day flight? Have Diamond status with Hilton and Gold with Marriott. Have seen some not too comforting comments regarding hotel shuttle punctuality so appreciate experiences on that as well.

Thanks in advance - cheers!
Old Dec 4, 11, 11:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
I like the Courtyard by Marriott on Century Blvd
It's literally at the LAX entrance
You could walk not advised tho LA drivers and all
This Courtyard is pretty nice
Old Dec 4, 11, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
I've stayed at both properties, and also the courtyard and four points. I tend to book the Hilton because I prefer the setup there, but I usually go to conventions at the Marriott. The Four Points has the better beer bar if you like that sort of thing. The Marriott's sports bar has pretty dismal service and staff who don't care about dietary constraints, and I've had better luck eating at the Hilton overall. That said, I like the happy hour specials at Marriott.

I guess I'm just not that loyal (I have Silver Hilton status, but most recently stayed at the Marriott, where I only accrue miles).
Old Dec 5, 11, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
If you're counting on the shared shuttle it's a crap shoot from all of the hotels near Century blvd. Sometimes it's fine and other times you'll wait 35 minutes only to find the shuttle packed.

For a really early flight just make sure you're waiting outside the lobby of any shared shuttle hotel about 2 hours prior and you'll be ok.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: