FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   LAX Marriott [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1906433-lax-marriott-master-thread.html)

HHonors OUTSIDER May 19, 18 7:25 am

Originally Posted by sanfran8080 (Post 29770314)
At the LAX Marriott for 3 night stay. Mixed reviews. The renovation is complete but like recent trends the company is trying to be more ďhipĒ for younger executives. The rooms r very spartan like. The big turn off is the M Club. The club now plays dance music at loud levels. I asked the mgr to least turn it down and was refused. Least put on some Kenny G or something soothing

So the M Club Disco is on the 18th floor??

sanfran8080 May 20, 18 11:07 am

yeah,,,,overall its a very nice place...but god help u if u had a long day at work or have a pounding headache....u won't be relaxing at the M Club/......my few the music is self defeating but Corporate is trying to attract a younger group

raidersfan1 May 20, 18 4:45 pm

Are the windows in the rooms soundproofed as they are stating with the refurbishment now completed? I can recall staying here and hearing plane noise all night.

sanfran8080 May 20, 18 5:05 pm

Windows r sound proof. U won’t hear a peep

sanfran8080 May 20, 18 9:19 pm

Come on SkiAdcock....u didn’t thank me for my report on the LAX Marriott.... I don’t feel the love.

SkiAdcock May 21, 18 11:19 am

Originally Posted by sanfran8080 (Post 29775917)
Come on SkiAdcock....u didnít thank me for my report on the LAX Marriott.... I donít feel the love.

Lol - sorry. Thank you so much for your trip report. Much appreciated. Thank you,, thank you,, thank you :) :) :)

Cheers.

bennos May 21, 18 5:14 pm

I actually stayed here for a night shortly before this thread was started, but forgot to post. In short, I think I want this to be my new night-at-LAX hotel, replacing the Ren. (I last stayed here pre-renovation, maybe 8 years ago.)

The rooms are obviously still smaller here than at the Ren, but having stayed at both in renovated rooms I conceptually like the MR better. The bathroom was gutted (unlike the Ren, where they left the useless tub). Lots of power and good lighting everywhere. (The Ren has good power, but the room feels dark.) Neither hotel has a good desk, though the Ren's is closer. The MR has a flat surface under the TV with a protrusion. It's not great, but it is (barely) functional.

One problem I did have with the MR was that, for my room at least, the reno seemed untested. The shower controls appeared to be backwards (position for cold was hot and vv), and there were a few other similar "they should have caught that" issues.

I liked the M club, with excellent views of 25L/R, but I was only there at 12:30am (when it was completely empty, but basic drinks were available) and again for breakfast. Breakfast is average. Breakfast at the Ren used to be slightly better, but I haven't used that lounge since it reopened, and I'm concerned about the Ren showing up on the weekend breakfast exception list.

I decided to walk to the airport in the morning because the weather was nice and I only had a backpack, but it looked like shuttles were running every 5-8 minutes or so, much more often than the website suggests. Both hotels share the same shuttles.

jkreisler999 May 22, 18 4:43 pm

I stay at this hotel quite frequently. They did a nice job on the remodel. Biggest criticism is the shuttle. I always find myself waiting for more than 30 minutes upon arrival.

Last week both the Marriott and the Ren were quite expensive so I tried the Westin. All else being equal, I think the Westin will now be my go to hotel at LAX.

holocker May 23, 18 1:01 am

I am here next week so will report any changes.

BLG Jun 13, 18 11:04 am

Originally Posted by jkreisler999 (Post 29783341)
I stay at this hotel quite frequently. They did a nice job on the remodel. Biggest criticism is the shuttle. I always find myself waiting for more than 30 minutes upon arrival.

I'm been planning on giving it a try on an upcoming flight with an evening arrival at LAX. I have also seen some complaints about the shuttle over at TripAdvisor. But my understanding is that they share a shuttle with the Ren and I've had OK experience with the shuttle going to the Ren. If it's correct that they share a shuttle I wonder why there are so many more posts about the long waits for the Marriott shuttle as opposed to the Ren...Just wondering if others have had shuttle problems?

My hunch is that it's all about if you are arriving when the airport is really busy. I'l be coming in around 9PM and hoping that by then it's less likely to have to wait a long time. And are the shuttle issues any worse than any of the other Marriott LAX properties? Since I'll be picking up a car from Hertz the next morning it's either the Marriott or the Ren for any easy walk, and I think I'd like to try the Marriott unless the shuttle really is a lot worse than the Ren.

Normally I'd take a North facing room, away from the airport for quietness -- but I keep reading about the great airport views from upper level rooms -- are they quiet enough to take advantage of the views? Never had a problem with noise at the Ren but it's further away by a little bit. I read somewhere to avoid the 17th floor under the lounge because of loud music.

Thanks for any thoughts.

CJKatl Jun 13, 18 11:23 am

Originally Posted by BLG (Post 29862535)
And are the shuttle issues any worse than any of the other Marriott LAX properties?

IME no except it sometimes seems other hotels have more shuttles. While waiting for the Marriott or Ren shuttle it sometimes seems other hotels may have two or three shuttles come through.

FWIW, I like the Ren better but have had good stays at both. The Marriott once gave me a room that was against an interior level of the parking garage with the expected smell and darkness. The Ren has always given me an UG to a suite with the giant window overlooking the runway.

bennos Jun 14, 18 1:13 am

Originally Posted by BLG (Post 29862535)
Just wondering if others have had shuttle problems?

I think the shuttles used to be worse (ie: less frequent).

Normally I'd take a North facing room, away from the airport for quietness -- but I keep reading about the great airport views from upper level rooms -- are they quiet enough to take advantage of the views? Never had a problem with noise at the Ren but it's further away by a little bit.
Arrivals on the 24s pretty much fly over the Hertz lot, which is closer to the Ren. I haven't had noise problems at either hotel.

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 29862614)
The Marriott once gave me a room that was against an interior level of the parking garage with the expected smell and darkness. The Ren has always given me an UG to a suite with the giant window overlooking the runway.

The Ren has given me some mediocre rooms, including one that overlooked the parking garage (I eventually asked to switch) and another that's all the way at the end and has an awkward compressed layout. But they've also given me a junior suite (with the sitting area), and I don't think I've ever gotten a really great room at the MR, so shrug...

BLG Jun 14, 18 10:35 am

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 29864948)
I think the shuttles used to be worse (ie: less frequent).

Arrivals on the 24s pretty much fly over the Hertz lot, which is closer to the Ren. I haven't had noise problems at either hotel.

The Ren has given me some mediocre rooms, including one that overlooked the parking garage (I eventually asked to switch) and another that's all the way at the end and has an awkward compressed layout. But they've also given me a junior suite (with the sitting area), and I don't think I've ever gotten a really great room at the MR, so shrug...

Thanks very much for all the detailed replies -- I'll give the renovated Marriott a try and request an upper floor airport view. And I'll hope that the shuttle won't keep me waiting too long :-)

All of my upgrades at the Ren have also been to a junior suite. Nice but for an overnight not something that matters much too me either.

Kacee Jul 6, 18 9:52 pm

I overnighted here last week, as it was quite a bit cheaper than the Sheraton Gateway. The pluses? Was upgraded to a corner room at check-in, room was relatively quiet, and the lounge was pretty nice, with breakfast a cut above typical Marriott. On the flip side, room was kind of dark, furnishings were cheap, 10th floor was too low for decent runway views, and the lobby restaurant sucked. Overall, I much prefer the Gateway, with consistent upgrade to their awesome corner suites.

gre Jul 9, 18 3:57 pm

I've stayed at both the LAX Marriott and Westin recently, inbound and outbound from Vietnam. The Westin was much cheaper (on hotels.com; SPG has never come through for me on the best price "guarantee") and provided an adequate room and airport transportation. The Marriott was a shamefull mess, even in a "remodeled" room. See my review on TripAdvisor has details.

The AC would not lower the room temp below 75, and the lounge was beyond a joke. At 8 AM there was a line down the hall because the warden at the door was carefully scrutinizing her entry list like it was Club 54 in 1975. Once in there was no place to sit, but it didn't really matter because the buffet was totally empty anyway. One of the attendants was standing closely by, but her attention was on the business guy she was chatting up.

We ate at the airport.