LAX Marriott [Master Thread]

Old Feb 2, 12, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller View Post
Just out of curiosity, are the rooms on the CL floor better than the rooms on the other floors at the Marriott LAX?

I have stayed at the Ren LAX previously, but have a room booked at the Marriott LAX in a couple of months.
A Bit.
Old Feb 3, 12, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
This was my EXACT experience at the Marriott LAX a couple of times when I couldn't get into the Ren. After this hassle I also found the rooms to be a letdown, the soundproofing a joke, and the customer service lacking. I will now stay at the Ren, even for a fairly substantial price premium. It has NEVER let me down, over dozens of stays.
Old Jan 26, 14, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
Marriott LAX now at CAT 6? Really?

Just less than 24 months ago, the Marriott LAX was a category 4 hotel. I have stayed there regularly and have not seen that much of an improvement where it is now a cat 6. Meanwhile, the Renaissance up the street is still at Cat 5.

What do you guys think of the Cat 6 label?
Old Jan 26, 14, 5:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Not particularly impressed but category is apparently based upon occupancy rate
Old Jan 26, 14, 8:01 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
This is the effect of the Cat 1-4 & 1-5 Megabonus certificate redemptions. It will probably drop down to Cat 5 again at some point.
Old Jan 26, 14, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DENROC View Post
Not particularly impressed but category is apparently based upon occupancy rate
I would have thought that the Marriott category would be based on some definition of average room revenue per night. It would be easy to get occupancy rates up by lowering prices.
Old Jan 26, 14, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is primarily based on redemption demand. If a lot of people redeem at cat 5 rate, it goes up to 6. If few people redeem at cat 6 rate it drops to 5. There's a sweet spot of redemption rates where it stays steady. The Cat 1-5 certs have made that sweet spot weird for 5 in particular.
Old Jan 27, 14, 3:50 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
I thought corporate will decide on the facilities of hotels to determine which category they are going to be at.

What I was shocked about is CPH Marriott can be a Cat 7 hotel - old and dated and absolutely poor in value and service.
Old Jan 27, 14, 7:34 am

CPH Marriott = Worst Marriott in Europe imho
Old Jan 27, 14, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I thought corporate will decide on the facilities of hotels to determine which category they are going to be at.

What I was shocked about is CPH Marriott can be a Cat 7 hotel - old and dated and absolutely poor in value and service.
To a great extent, we determine a hotels category since it's place on the table is determined by the number of redemptions each year.

It's all about demand, a $500 night hotel at cat1 will be inundated by redemptions. A $100 night hotel at cat9 will never see a redeeming guest.

When a hotel first joins the group it's categorized based on expected redemption activity and recategorised depending how that works out. It's worth remembering Marriotts annual redemption adjustments generally see a similar number of moves down to up, although usually the annual balance is on the up reflecting a slow stealth devaluation (saving last year when Marriott used the redemption categories to give effect to a large devaluation, with the vast majority of changes being properties moving up, and only the tiniest minority moving down).

This gave rise to the cat4 certificate issue and led to Marriott offering a choice on megabonuses of either 3xCat4 or 2xCat5 certs. The most obvious redemption venue for such certs is airport hotels, since there are few luxury or leisure options in those categories, hence cat5 airport hotels were bombed with redemptions resulting in the upward move. Now of course as a cat 6 it's out of the certs but represents poorer value on points, and hence will see redemptions collapse so it'll almost certainly be busted back to a cat5 where the process will then restart!

As far as CPH Marriott is concerned, I liked the hotel. It's a bit industrial, but the rooms are a good size, exec lounge offerings are strong and it seems well maintained. Certainly planning a trip with the kids as it's within easy walking distance of the train station, city centre and Tivoli. Bearing in mind I joined MR in 2006 when the top category was 7, I guess it could be deemed surprising it's there, but now that the top category is 9, I'd say its category broadly reflects it's price, location and facilities, though as discussed above, that's not the criteria!
Old Jan 27, 14, 1:06 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by jr1202sr View Post
CPH Marriott = Worst Marriott in Europe imho
Can't agree more.

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob View Post
As far as CPH Marriott is concerned, I liked the hotel. It's a bit industrial, but the rooms are a good size, exec lounge offerings are strong and it seems well maintained. Certainly planning a trip with the kids as it's within easy walking distance of the train station, city centre and Tivoli. Bearing in mind I joined MR in 2006 when the top category was 7, I guess it could be deemed surprising it's there, but now that the top category is 9, I'd say its category broadly reflects it's price, location and facilities, though as discussed above, that's not the criteria!
Check-in was unfriendly - the only thing the FD said was, 'you are from Sweden' - nothing about the lounge hours. Later we found out that the lounge was packed with Swedes drinking wine and beer like water, then we know why (btw we have Danish surnames because Mr. is Danish).

We stayed one night there - got cheap chicken nugget and some fried rice (extremely greasy and doesn't taste of much). It was packed and the attendant didn't clear the table.

The attitude of the staffs were so bad - we got no upgrade to executive floor as Gold + Plat, but the hotel offered if I pay DKK 500 I could get a room there.

I called down and asked and they told me that I book a 'cheap' room and it was a generous upgrade to a 'river view' room. I told them that I don't care about the view since I used to live in CPH, all I want is closer to the lounge - nope was the answer - and in a very rude way.

I think the room we got was a previous rented out room but got changed due to the noisy air-con (like those loud ones in FFI), the beds were touched (not straight sheets) and shampoo was missing (there were 2 bottles and none of them was a shampoo). Also there were no slippers provided - we got that at Courtyard Hamburg!

If you need to stay in Copenhagen, stay at the CP - it's a thousand times better and the rooms are more modern and nicer. The lounge there is nice too and all Plats get access to it - whether paid or points. The staffs there are much better - better than tons of Marriotts we stayed at.

For that amount of points - there are tons of other properties that are way better than CPH Marriott.
Old Jan 27, 14, 1:36 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Will we see a CAT 10 this year for 50,000 per night? I think so...
Old Jan 27, 14, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
O/T

WOW Nacho. Nothing could be further from my experience. Although a year ago, and 50+ checkins since, the greeting from Mette at the front desk was memorable for all the right reasons, cheerful, knowledgeable and helpful I was upgraded to exec floor with river view even though I was on an ultra-cheapo advance purchase rate. Mette was there throughout my 3 night stay and her demeanour didn't slip once! Easily one of the best FD I've experienced at Marriott...
Old Jan 27, 14, 5:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kaaria View Post
Just less than 24 months ago, the Marriott LAX was a category 4 hotel. I have stayed there regularly and have not seen that much of an improvement where it is now a cat 6. Meanwhile, the Renaissance up the street is still at Cat 5.

What do you guys think of the Cat 6 label?
I used archive.org to look at Los Angeles Airport Marriott hotel's Marriott Rewards category in the past.

On Jan 2, 2008, it was a Category 5.

On Jan 14, 2010, it was a Category 5.

On Jan 1, 2012, it was a Category 4.

On Jan 21, 2013, it was a Category 5.

Now it's Category 6.
Old Jan 27, 14, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
CAT 6

Wow, silly me. I thought the rating system is like SPG where if it is a good hotel it was a higher category not because there were more certificate redemptions so it is rated higher.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: