FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   LAX Marriott [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1906433-lax-marriott-master-thread.html)

California Traveler Dec 6, 2011 4:53 pm

We have stayed two times (flew to Hawaii and Europe for two weeks) at the Hilton LAX - good service and rooms. The shuttle was hassel free and wait time is just a few mins at the airport. We are Marriott and Hilton members but prefer the Hilton at LAX - Hilton has a nice park and fly deal - secured underground parking. The Marriott was more expensive and no underground, secured parking. Check out the Trip Advisor reviews.

SD

deirdre Dec 6, 2011 5:28 pm

Also, every single frakkin' time I stay at the Marriott, they "lose" my reservation before it gets posted to the rewards program. We check in, my husband pays, they change the res to his name instead of mine, and then I have to follow up on it. This has happened three times, and I'm no longer going to stay there any more. Hilton's never done that to us. I'm the Keeper of the Rewards Points.

steve-o Dec 6, 2011 6:16 pm

LAX Renaissance vs LAX Marriott vs. LAX Hilton

I've tried all three and prefer the LAX Renaissance, which is almost next door to the LAX Marriott on Airport Blvd. In fact the Renaissance and Marriott share a shuttle vehicle. So the wait time at either will 30-60 seconds different.

SAS

allset2travel Dec 7, 2011 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by steve-o (Post 17579503)
I've tried all three and prefer the LAX Renaissance, which is almost next door to the LAX Marriott on Airport Blvd. In fact the Renaissance and Marriott share a shuttle vehicle. So the wait time at either will 30-60 seconds different.

SAS

Stayed at Hilton, MR & Ren (all LAX). Concur with steve-o Ren would be my choice, all rates being equal.

rwethereyet850 Dec 7, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks all for the insights - think i'll give the Renaissance a shot.

sbedelman Jan 26, 2012 11:04 pm

LAX Marriott 2 for 2 Refuses Upgrade

I'm now 2 for 2 with the LAX refusing a Platinum upgrade to Concierge even when there are rooms available.

Checked in at the Elite desk and specifically told Concierge is full. I called the 800 line and they confirmed space for all 3 nights, including bed type. I went back to the desk and they again confirmed full. So I walked across to the main desk and they also confirmed full.

At this point I informed them Res was willing to take a booking. The clerk went back to the office and confirmed space was available. I asked to speak to the front desk manager who acknowledged there was space and offered to move our room. I asked why I was denied at check in and was told there had just been a cancellation (seems unlikely but irrelevant since I had confirmed space before the second time I was denied). At this point I asked to file a complaint and the front desk manager said she didn't know how to do that. She went off to find out and when it dragged on I told the other clerk I would like to have the general manager call me.

This is the second time the exact same thing has happened. Either they are blocking rooms so the front desk clerks actually think Concierge is full or they are training them to say it is full when it is not. Because of the way things went I strongly suspect the former.

As I said this is the second time I've seen this at this hotel out of 2 visits since I started checking. It is interesting to note that as best I remember I've never successfully received a Concierge upgrade at this location.

Unfortunately I believe this is not the only Marriott engaging in this kind of behavior. I've seen it a lot recently but after a long trip I'm just too tired to bother to call them on it. This time it just really bugged me because I could tell the hotel was no where near fully booked.

I should have searched to see if there is already a thread on this so shoot me down if there is. If not, then can people let me know if this seems to be a pretty widespread problem?

Ivanwood Jan 27, 2012 12:25 am

It happens to me as well. They tell me they don't have a concierge room for the entire length of my stay. But, it sure seems like they give them away to any party or group staying for a limited time. I usually don't complain, as long as they give me access to the lounge. But your right, I think the standard answer is no we are full.

sbedelman Jan 27, 2012 9:03 am

That's exactly what she said the second time I asked (after I had call Res and confirmed rooms were available for all the days). At check in she had claimed Concierge was full that night. Both statements were untrue.

Like you when I've failed to get an upgrade in the past I've let it pass but Marriott HQ needs to be aware these kind of shenanigans are going on

DillMan Jan 27, 2012 10:39 am

This happens to me all the time as a PP. The only times I can recall not getting a CL upgrade and actually finding out that the CL rooms were really full were during conventions, special events, etc. I've stopped even arguing, however, I do still push the point when you get the "we can't give you CL access because we have exceeded the maximum number of guests allowed access on a given night" line.

Marriott corporate is well aware of these practices. At worst they encourage it. At best they just look the other way.

Mr. Vker Jan 28, 2012 11:46 am

Originally Posted by DillMan (Post 17898244)
however, I do still push the point when you get the "we can't give you CL access because we have exceeded the maximum number of guests allowed access on a given night" line.

I have not had this happen yet. However, if/when it does, it will be a big problem. This is a major GUARANTEED plat benefit. MR will be on the phone quick. Don't know what will happen, but I won't make it easy.

freeupgrade Jan 28, 2012 5:58 pm

LAX Marriott has really gone downhill.

Stay at Renaissance LAX instead.

sbedelman Jan 28, 2012 7:17 pm

I got a call back from the message I left for the GM and he explained what was going on.

This hotel gets a large number of PLT. Enough in fact that they fill the Concierge floor most every night.

Knowing this is the case they have been randomly assigning upgrades until they fill the floor. The reason I was told I could still make a booking when I called the 800 # is that it is possible to make a Concierge booking even when the floor is full. Apparently RES will take the reservation and advise you that because the floor is full you'll be placed on a high floor and have access to the lounge (I wasn't told this but I didn't try to complete the booking either).

To the GM's credit when I told him this policy violated Marriott rules he said he would look into it and get right back to me. A little while later he did and confirmed that I was correct. The rules are availability at checkin.

He said they would change their policy. Where previously checkin went quite quickly because rooms were preassigned and front desk personnel told any PLT that weren't preassigned an upgrade that one wasn't available they will do something different going forward. I didn't ask exactly what and I'm not sure he had decided. It sound like they might only offer an upgrade if they were full that day if the PLT asked.

Overall a very response GM. Also a learning experience for me. It seems likely that other hotels may be doing the same thing. The one I can say about the policy of preassigning is that it isn't about revenue enhancement. The hotel is no better off either way. All it means is the early bird doesn't always get the worm.

The lesson seems to be that if you arrive at a hotel and don't get an upgrade then call and find that space is available you should ask again. Its possible they've just blocked the rooms so it might be a good idea to confirm whether all the upgrades have actually checked in or if the space is preassigned (blocked). If its the latter then they should unblock a room for you.

VickiSoCal Jan 28, 2012 7:41 pm

My issue with availablity at checkin- is what if 5 platinums are checking in and 5 golds and there are only 5 c-level rooms. Should it be first come first serve.

Technically, according to their policy, it is at check-in for both plats and golds so if the five golds arrive first they get the rooms.

iztok Jan 28, 2012 8:03 pm

I for one like pre-assignment in most cases. This gives more fair distribution.

I frequently stay at certain FS in ATL and when I make a reservation I let front desk manager know and they take care of me. (pre-assign specific room on CL away from noise).

A little perk for someone who is there 2-3 weeks a month.

I also second the LAX Ren property suggestion. Love that property.

Time traveller Feb 1, 2012 11:04 pm

Just out of curiosity, are the rooms on the CL floor better than the rooms on the other floors at the Marriott LAX?

I have stayed at the Ren LAX previously, but have a room booked at the Marriott LAX in a couple of months.