FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1905264-faq-marriotts-breakfast-offering-explained-brand-bonvoy-elite-level.html)

C17PSGR Jul 27, 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by cur (Post 31347636)
i was at a canadian marriott airport property, on a weekend stay, with hot food at the lounge closed friday saturday and maybe sunday. i was told by some shift manager that i can take 1000 points AND breakfast in restaurant OR 750 points and that is the new policy. so it seems policy of an inferior property is applying to slightly nicer properties, or this property just does this purely out of goodwill.

This has been the policy for several years.

when you arrive, you have an option as a platinum or above to receive a $10 food and beverage credit or 1000 points. You get that once during a stay and it doesn't stack.

if the lounge is closed, you get the option of a breakfast in the restaurant or 750 points. You get that each day the lounge is closed.

as Horace has said, there are 20 or so hotels with exceptions to that policy but in my experience at least a couple of them don't actually use the exception.

WillBarrett_68 Jul 27, 2019 2:02 pm

checked into a (US) courtyard on a two night stay, I have two rooms booked (two people in each room). My expectation is that I would get $20/day (member + 1). Should it be $20/day *per room*?

FWIW, FDA told me at check-in that I get $10 F&B credit per day, but that I get it on both rooms, which in my case ultimately gets me what I expected but implies they're trying to cut a corner on people with a +1 in a single room.

C17PSGR Jul 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 31349243)
checked into a (US) courtyard on a two night stay, I have two rooms booked (two people in each room). My expectation is that I would get $20/day (member + 1). Should it be $20/day *per room*?

FWIW, FDA told me at check-in that I get $10 F&B credit per day, but that I get it on both rooms, which in my case ultimately gets me what I expected but implies they're trying to cut a corner on people with a +1 in a single room.

You should get $20 a day for the room you are occupying. The second room doesn't get anything (unless there is another plat there, of course).

WillBarrett_68 Jul 27, 2019 4:23 pm

That's what I figured, it's just when the agent said I'd get it for both rooms I thought I might have missed something.

Vince Chan Nov 11, 2019 12:13 pm

How about JW Marriott Cancun’s smart move of “ continental breakfast in the restaurant for platinum”, is this not violating the term of Bonvoy ‘s Breakfast in the restaurant for two?

I can not imagine why would some owner cutting cost like this? Continental breakfast in the restaurant ? Such a shame...

Tanic Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Vince Chan (Post 31725581)
How about JW Marriott Cancun’s smart move of “ continental breakfast in the restaurant for platinum”, is this not violating the term of Bonvoy ‘s Breakfast in the restaurant for two?

I can not imagine why would some owner cutting cost like this? Continental breakfast in the restaurant ? Such a shame...

Many bonvOY hotels without lounges now pass off a "continental breakfast" as the Plat and higher breakfast benefit. It it apparently encouraged by Marriott since they pre-print "continental breakfast" vouchers for the properties, which of course means something different in each restaurant, but often less than lounge breakfast.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1c050d720.jpeg

lewinr Nov 12, 2019 12:04 pm

I love how on the card they make it sound like such a great thing.
This has probably been posted many times before, but for those who havent seen it here's Key and Peele's take on "continental breakfast":

MSPeconomist Nov 12, 2019 12:20 pm

In some cases, the continental breakfast in the restaurant could just be a continuation from the SPG days, when PlatMinus+ was entitled to two continental restaurant breakfasts daily as the welcome amenity (instead of points) in certain legacy Starwoods.

kgkg Nov 13, 2019 4:32 pm

The lounge at the Marriott San Diego Marina closes on weekends and only give 1000 points per day. Is this policy complaint with the Marriott policy or a violation?

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31340259)
  1. Marriott et al, United States and Canada: If Lounge is closed or property does not have a Lounge or approved alternative, property to offer daily continental breakfast in restaurant for Member +1 or Member can choose 750 Points per day
  2. No

James

Horace Nov 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by kgkg (Post 31734109)
The lounge at the Marriott San Diego Marina closes on weekends and only give 1000 points per day. Is this policy complaint with the Marriott policy or a violation?

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina is one of 20 (number can change) properties in the United States, listed in the Marriott Bonvoy Terms & Conditions, that would normally be required (based on brand and non-resort designation) to provide Platinum Elite (and higher) guests with free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed — but that is allowed to provide a measly 1,000 Points instead.

It's a list worth looking at — and using as a guide for properties to avoid.

This San Diego property is not in violation of the official T&Cs.

kgkg Nov 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 31734656)
Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina is one of 20 (number can change) properties in the United States, listed in the Marriott Bonvoy Terms & Conditions, that would normally be required (based on brand and non-resort designation) to provide Platinum Elite (and higher) guests with free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed — but that is allowed to provide a measly 1,000 Points instead.

It's a list worth looking at — and using as a guide for properties to avoid.

This San Diego property is not in violation of the official T&Cs.

Thank you!

margarita girl Nov 20, 2019 8:53 am

Courtyard Detroit Downtown

A friend who is Plat stayed here last weekend. Unfortunately, he was not familiar with the Courtyard breakfast benefit. He was disappointed when all they offered him was 2 water bottles at check in when he should have been entitled to 4X$10 vouchers (he was there 2 nights). He didn’t tell me about this until the day after he got home.

I think a complaint is in order. Should he address this to the hotel, Marriott customer service or both?

Tanic Nov 20, 2019 9:19 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 31757972)
A friend who is Plat stayed here last weekend. Unfortunately, he was not familiar with the Courtyard breakfast benefit. He was disappointed when all they offered him was 2 water bottles at check in when he should have been entitled to 4X$10 vouchers (he was there 2 nights). He didn’t tell me about this until the day after he got home. I think a complaint is in order. Should he address this to the hotel, Marriott customer service or both?

Perhaps he got the 500 points per stay as the welcome amenity? If that is in his bonvOY account, it will be difficult to pursue. Even then the Guarantee payout for CYs is only US$50.

Bravada04 Nov 20, 2019 6:46 pm

Pretty sad when every single member needs to know the exact in/out with the program...…………..if you don't your probably screwed because there is no such thing as consistency here.

margarita girl Nov 20, 2019 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 31758089)
Perhaps he got the 500 points per stay as the welcome amenity? If that is in his bonvOY account, it will be difficult to pursue. Even then the Guarantee payout for CYs is only US$50.

I got more details. He asked about breakfast at check in. They said they don’t have a restaurant so pointed him to IHOP and Applebee’s. No mention was made of the $10X4 F&B option, so I drafted a complaint letter for him. Will see what happens.

If you aren’t on FT, hotels can really take advantage of uninformed customers.