FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1905264-faq-marriotts-breakfast-offering-explained-brand-bonvoy-elite-level.html)

rylan Apr 22, 2018 9:00 pm

Yeah pretty crappy if they make the choice only a one time points vs breakfast for the whole stay. I like how it is now so for a weekend or something I can get points one day and breakfast the other... or the same for locations without a lounge during the week... mix/match points and breakfast for some days each.
Wouldn't be worth taking points unless I'm only staying one day.

Oh and yeah if you just get a coffee and fruit/yogurt cup you're almost at the 10 bucks.

3Cforme Apr 22, 2018 10:09 pm

I've been given vouchers at $6/person at a U.S. Four Points (within the last year). I'll wait for official details. I don't expect the brand-standard offering to be generous at low-price brands.

MSPeconomist Apr 22, 2018 10:15 pm

At 4Pts, I've seen access to a normal American hot breakfast buffet, including eggs made to order,bacon and (not or) sausage, pancakes, fresh fruit, etc. I think the charge for others without rates including breakfast was in the $12-15 range, but $10 or less for the price difference for room rates with versus without breakfast. I've seen similar hot breakfast buffets in Sheratons and Hyatts, all under $20 per person.

Troopers Apr 23, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 29668420)
Considering the new rules don't actually go into effect until Aug. 1, I'm cautiously optimistic all will be clarified by then.

Huh? Doesn't help those with existing reservations or need to make new reservations post Aug 1.

Fizzer Apr 23, 2018 10:12 am

Originally Posted by stvr (Post 29667697)
It seems to me that the Sheraton Kona resort no longer has to allow club access, just breakfast in restaurant.

I agree with Margarit Girl's subsequent post suggesting that this is not the case. However, having recently completed an 8 day stay there I can say that even if it were true it would be no loss. The lounge is small, overcrowded ( especially if weather forces everyone indoors) and has to be one of the stingiest lounges I have ever used. The single staff member has to prepare the trays of food items and consistently cannot keep up, so that it is rare that there is actually a full selection available. The alcohol offered is kept behind the door and that same overworked staff member also has to por and/or mix on the evenings when they have a cocktail. A total gong show. The restaurant breakfast option would be far better IMHO.

escapefromphl Jun 26, 2018 2:15 pm

These were posted in Marriott Insiders. They seems to answer most questions when read together.

Lounge Access

Platinum Welcome gift / breakfast

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/54600

beachfan Jun 26, 2018 4:30 pm

What does the dot in the breakfast column mean.

Hipplewm Jun 26, 2018 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 29909939)
What does the dot in the breakfast column mean.

The dot means it is automatic to get breakfast, you don't have to do anything else

No dot means it is an amentity which can be chosen in lieu of other choices listed in the amenity column.

Now, you notice JW Marriott doesn't really have either, but they all have (afaik) executive lounges - which all offer breakfast so it really is a moot point on those types of hotels.

escapefromphl Jun 26, 2018 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 29909958)
The dot means it is automatic to get breakfast, you don't have to do anything else

No dot means it is an amentity which can be chosen in lieu of other choices listed in the amenity column.

Lol my understanding is exactly the opposite: No dot either means it's in the lounge or as in the case of Edition, Ritz etc you are SOL. You get to choose one of the other amenities listed as well as breakfast in the lounge. Dot means you can choose it instead of the other options listed, if any.

Hipplewm Jun 26, 2018 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 29910090)
Lol my understanding is exactly the opposite: No dot either means it's in the lounge or as in the case of Edition, Ritz etc you are SOL. You get to choose one of the other amenities listed as well as breakfast in the lounge. Dot means you can choose it instead of the other options listed, if any.

Then why doesn't residence inn have a dot - everyone gets breakfast elite or not?

escapefromphl Jun 26, 2018 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 29910173)
Then why doesn't residence inn have a dot - everyone gets breakfast elite or not?

Yes - everyone gets breakfast, your Platinum amenity choices would be 500 points or a F&B item.

Kacee Jun 26, 2018 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 29910090)

Not exactly. No dot means breakfast is not a "welcome gift" option. With legacy SPG properties, breakfast is (and will continue to be) one of your Platinum welcome gift options. With the legacy Marriott properties, either there is a breakfast benefit or not, but it's never been a welcome gift. With the caveat that at Marriott resorts, breakfast has been added as a welcome gift option. So now, just as at SPG properties, at Marriott resorts (including JW, Renaissance, and Autograph Collection), you will be able to choose either breakfast or points.

You basically now need a JD to understand Marriott program benefits.

Points Scrounger Jun 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 29910262)
Not exactly. No dot means breakfast is not a "welcome gift" option. With legacy SPG properties, breakfast is (and will continue to be) one of your Platinum welcome gift options. With the legacy Marriott properties, either there is a breakfast benefit or not, but it's never been a welcome gift. With the caveat that at Marriott resorts, breakfast has been added as a welcome gift option. So now, just as at SPG properties, at Marriott resorts (including JW, Renaissance, and Autograph Collection), you will be able to choose either breakfast or points.

You basically now need a JD to understand Marriott program benefits.

You made my head hurt in one paragraph.

Kacee Jun 26, 2018 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 29910272)
You made my head hurt in one paragraph.

That will be $500 :D

t1c Jun 26, 2018 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 29910448)
That will be $500 :D

LOL!!!