FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1905264-faq-marriotts-breakfast-offering-explained-brand-bonvoy-elite-level.html)

hockeyinsider Apr 21, 2018 9:16 am

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Gary Leff has a useful guide to the "breakfast offering" benefit for eligible elites in the new, unified Marriott program:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...kfast-benefit/

Here are some key points:

The new Marriott program is going to require the same hotels that were required under the Starwood program to offer lounge access to continue to do so. And the same hotels that offered lounge access above and beyond the terms of the program under Starwood can continue to do so under Marriott. [emphasis added by me]

While “Protea will offer breakfast in the restaurant” there will be food and beverage vouchers at Courtyard, AC Hotels by Marriott, and Moxy hotels.
Leff is also reporting that resort-designated Marriott, J.W. Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance and Delta properties will offer a check-in choice between --
  • 1,000 points (per stay) or a daily restaurant breakfast in North America and Europe.
  • 1,000 points (per stay), a daily restaurant breakfast, or a food-and-beverage amenity in the Middle East and Africa, Asia, the Pacific and Latin America.

sdsearch Apr 21, 2018 9:42 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 29667473)
Leff is also reporting that resort-designated Marriott, J.W. Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance and Delta properties will offer a check-in choice between --
  • 1,000 points (per stay) or a daily restaurant breakfast in North America and Europe.
  • 1,000 points (per stay) or a daily restaurant breakfast in the Middle East and Africa, Asia, the Pacific and Latin America.

Your summary missed an option. That last bullet should actually say:
  • 1,000 points (per stay) or a daily restaurant breakfast or an F&B amenity in the Middle East and Africa, Asia, the Pacific and Latin America.

hockeyinsider Apr 21, 2018 9:51 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 29667555)
Your summary missed an option. That last bullet should actually say:
  • 1,000 points (per stay) or a daily restaurant breakfast or an F&B amenity in the Middle East and Africa, Asia, the Pacific and Latin America.

Thanks for the catch. I updated it.

Leff didn't post his source. I presume the check-in choice includes legacy Starwood properties, but that's not how he phrased it.

s0479 Apr 21, 2018 10:11 am

Confused about lounge

never mind read wrong

Yul_voyager Apr 21, 2018 10:16 am

It's still a little bit confusing.
- what about properties with Lounge closed during week-end ? Do they have to offer breakfast in restaurant in addition to welcome points ? Is it still going to be a list of hotels which could just give points instead of breakfast ?
- Courtyard / AC Hotel / Proxy ; will the voucher be actually enough to cover a continental breakfast for two ? Otherwise it's hardly a breakfast benefit.
- Breakfast benefit : is it still for 2 adults in a room ? What about kids ?

Also I assume some properties which have lounge but don't have to offer acces to it to platinum guest may chose to do so instead of offering breakfast in restaurant. I imagine a lounge breakfast is cheaper than a breakfast in restaurant (except if the restaurant have a buffet in which case it's probably equal).

stvr Apr 21, 2018 10:30 am

It seems to me that the Sheraton Kona resort no longer has to allow club access, just breakfast in restaurant.

margarita girl Apr 21, 2018 11:15 am

Originally Posted by stvr (Post 29667697)
It seems to me that the Sheraton Kona resort no longer has to allow club access, just breakfast in restaurant.

Source? That goes against what Starwood Lurker has posted:

Will SPG Platinum members still have lounge access at Sheraton/Le Meridien/Westin Resorts properties that have a lounge?
  • Members will continue to enjoy lounge access as they do today at Westin, Sheraton, and Le Meridien resorts. <added by Starwood Lurker 19Apr18>

Horace Apr 21, 2018 11:20 am

Gary Leff simply described a combination of what's on Members.Marriott.com and today's SPG benefits.

Here's my own summary:

Essentially, the Platinum Elite breakfast benefits in August will be:
-- Continuation of SPG Platinum breakfast benefits at SPG legacy properties
-- Extending breakfast benefits to Courtyard, AC Hotels, MOXY, and Protea, likely similar to Four Points and Aloft
-- Business as usual at brands that provide breakfast to all guests (Fairfield, SpringHill, Residence, TownPlace, Element)
-- Business as usual (no complimentary breakfast) at Ritz-Carlton, Edition, Gaylord, Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Executive Apartments, and Design Hotels
-- Business as usual at the five Marriott legacy full-service brands that currently provide the lounge/breakfast benefit, EXCEPT that daily breakfast becomes an arrival gift option, not something in addition to an arrival gift AND that resorts are no longer excluded

There might be fine tuning to guarantees and point alternatives to breakfast, and possibly other fine tuning.

It remains to be seen exactly what we'll get at Courtyard, AC Hotels, MOXY, and Protea. Will there be a voucher that covers a choice of breakfast items, a choice of juice, good coffee, and a gratuity? Will "continental" mean just cold food, or will hotels offer more, just as most full-service hotels offer more? What percentage of hotels that have not previously provided elite breakfast see this as a great opportunity to attract Platinum guests? What percentage will see this an attack on their P&L, and will try to minimize the cost of what they provide?

dayone Apr 21, 2018 12:55 pm

With the new breakfast policies, is there still a carve-out for certain large metro properties (e.g., NYC Marriott Marquis) to offer points in lieu of a weekend breakfast benefit?

hhoope01 Apr 21, 2018 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 29668094)
With the new breakfast policies, is there still a carve-out for certain large metro properties (e.g., NYC Marriott Marquis) to offer points in lieu of a weekend breakfast benefit?

I do believe yes, there in the new breakfast details there is still the possibility that a few hotels may offer points instead of a breakfast benefit.

Per the official announcement wiki thread updated by Starwood Lurker: "We do have brand exemptions at some of our properties. There will continue to be a limited number of hotels that will provide alternate benefits if they are unable to meet the requirements (e.g. no lounge, lounge closed on weekends, etc.). Additional details will be included in the new program Terms & Conditions. <added by Starwood Lurker 19Apr19>"

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...ne-august.html

hockeyinsider Apr 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 29667844)
Gary Leff simply described a combination of what's on Members.Marriott.com and today's SPG benefits.

Here's my own summary:

Essentially, the Platinum Elite breakfast benefits in August will be:
-- Continuation of SPG Platinum breakfast benefits at SPG legacy properties
-- Extending breakfast benefits to Courtyard, AC Hotels, MOXY, and Protea, likely similar to Four Points and Aloft
-- Business as usual at brands that provide breakfast to all guests (Fairfield, SpringHill, Residence, TownPlace, Element)
-- Business as usual (no complimentary breakfast) at Ritz-Carlton, Edition, Gaylord, Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Executive Apartments, and Design Hotels
-- Business as usual at the five Marriott legacy full-service brands that currently provide the lounge/breakfast benefit, EXCEPT that daily breakfast becomes an arrival gift option, not something in addition to an arrival gift AND that resorts are no longer excluded

There might be fine tuning to guarantees and point alternatives to breakfast, and possibly other fine tuning.

It remains to be seen exactly what we'll get at Courtyard, AC Hotels, MOXY, and Protea. Will there be a voucher that covers a choice of breakfast items, a choice of juice, good coffee, and a gratuity? Will "continental" mean just cold food, or will hotels offer more, just as most full-service hotels offer more? What percentage of hotels that have not previously provided elite breakfast see this as a great opportunity to attract Platinum guests? What percentage will see this an attack on their P&L, and will try to minimize the cost of what they provide?

There is no definite answer from Marriott on this scenario: Will a hotel in a brand that requires breakast or requires lounges as part of its brand standard but doesn't have a lounge (or closes the lounge) provide breakfast or will it be incumbent upon the guest to choose between breakfast and points at check-in?

Horace Apr 21, 2018 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 29668094)

Marriott has not yet published terms & conditions for the combined loyalty program that begins in August, and benefits. So all that anyone can do now it to make an educated guess.

My educated guess is that current exceptions -- such as carve-outs that allow some Marriott legacy full-service properties to offer points in lieu of a weekend breakfast -- will remain the same. I would like to think that the number of points will increase (1,000 points in lieu of breakfast is laughable). But that's probably just wishful thinking.

JHake10 Apr 21, 2018 1:35 pm

I'd love to see how the Cosmopolitan in Vegas skirts around this. In 2013, they did offer buffet passes for 2 (just one time, not per day). Then they got rid of that.

Horace Apr 21, 2018 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10 (Post 29668204)
I'd love to see how the Cosmopolitan in Vegas skirts around this. In 2013, they did offer buffet passes for 2 (just one time, not per day). Then they got rid of that.

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection is classified as a resort. Under the current Marriott Rewards elite benefits, resorts are excluded from the current Gold/Platinum Elite breakfast/lounge benefit.

The fact that the Cosmopolitan provided more than they had to at one time is nice. The fact that they now longer do just means they dropped something that was never required by Marriott.

This should change August 1 with the new Platinum/Platinum Premier Elite breakfast benefit. Resorts are no longer excluded. Daily breakfast for two should be an arrival gift option... unless the Cosmopolitan works out some sort of exception with Marriott.

cruisr Apr 21, 2018 2:41 pm

I have never seen so much confusion, conflicting information from those in charge and in general poor communications to the end users. They had long enough to get this right.