Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
Delta* (excluding resorts)
JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
Marriott (excluding resorts)
Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

Aloft
Autograph Collection (resorts only)
Delta (resorts only)
Four Points
The Luxury Collection
JW Marriott (resorts only)
Le Mridien
Marriott (resorts only)
Protea
Renaissance (resorts only)
St. Regis
Sheraton **
Tribute Portfolio
W Hotels
Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

Le Mridien (only at locations with a lounge)
Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

AC Hotels
Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

Element ****
Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
SpringHill Suites
TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

Design Hotels
Edition
Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
Gaylord Hotels
Marriott Executive Apartments
Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Boston Marriott Copley Place

Boston Marriott Long Wharf

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

JW Marriott Essex House New York City

JW Marriott New Orleans

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

JW Marriott Washington, DC

The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

Monterey Marriott

New York Marriott Marquis

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by cur
i was at a canadian marriott airport property, on a weekend stay, with hot food at the lounge closed friday saturday and maybe sunday. i was told by some shift manager that i can take 1000 points AND breakfast in restaurant OR 750 points and that is the new policy. so it seems policy of an inferior property is applying to slightly nicer properties, or this property just does this purely out of goodwill.
This has been the policy for several years.

when you arrive, you have an option as a platinum or above to receive a $10 food and beverage credit or 1000 points. You get that once during a stay and it doesn't stack.

if the lounge is closed, you get the option of a breakfast in the restaurant or 750 points. You get that each day the lounge is closed.

as Horace has said, there are 20 or so hotels with exceptions to that policy but in my experience at least a couple of them don't actually use the exception.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:02 pm

checked into a (US) courtyard on a two night stay, I have two rooms booked (two people in each room). My expectation is that I would get $20/day (member + 1). Should it be $20/day *per room*?

FWIW, FDA told me at check-in that I get $10 F&B credit per day, but that I get it on both rooms, which in my case ultimately gets me what I expected but implies they're trying to cut a corner on people with a +1 in a single room.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
checked into a (US) courtyard on a two night stay, I have two rooms booked (two people in each room). My expectation is that I would get $20/day (member + 1). Should it be $20/day *per room*?

FWIW, FDA told me at check-in that I get $10 F&B credit per day, but that I get it on both rooms, which in my case ultimately gets me what I expected but implies they're trying to cut a corner on people with a +1 in a single room.
You should get $20 a day for the room you are occupying. The second room doesn't get anything (unless there is another plat there, of course).
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:23 pm

That's what I figured, it's just when the agent said I'd get it for both rooms I thought I might have missed something.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:13 pm
Suspended

How about JW Marriott Cancuns smart move of continental breakfast in the restaurant for platinum, is this not violating the term of Bonvoy s Breakfast in the restaurant for two?

I can not imagine why would some owner cutting cost like this? Continental breakfast in the restaurant ? Such a shame...
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
How about JW Marriott Cancuns smart move of continental breakfast in the restaurant for platinum, is this not violating the term of Bonvoy s Breakfast in the restaurant for two?

I can not imagine why would some owner cutting cost like this? Continental breakfast in the restaurant ? Such a shame...
Many bonvOY hotels without lounges now pass off a "continental breakfast" as the Plat and higher breakfast benefit. It it apparently encouraged by Marriott since they pre-print "continental breakfast" vouchers for the properties, which of course means something different in each restaurant, but often less than lounge breakfast.

Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:04 pm

I love how on the card they make it sound like such a great thing.
This has probably been posted many times before, but for those who havent seen it here's Key and Peele's take on "continental breakfast":
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In some cases, the continental breakfast in the restaurant could just be a continuation from the SPG days, when PlatMinus+ was entitled to two continental restaurant breakfasts daily as the welcome amenity (instead of points) in certain legacy Starwoods.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: United 1P
The lounge at the Marriott San Diego Marina closes on weekends and only give 1000 points per day. Is this policy complaint with the Marriott policy or a violation?

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
  1. Marriott et al, United States and Canada: If Lounge is closed or property does not have a Lounge or approved alternative, property to offer daily continental breakfast in restaurant for Member +1 or Member can choose 750 Points per day
  2. No

James
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kgkg
The lounge at the Marriott San Diego Marina closes on weekends and only give 1000 points per day. Is this policy complaint with the Marriott policy or a violation?
Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina is one of 20 (number can change) properties in the United States, listed in the Marriott Bonvoy Terms & Conditions, that would normally be required (based on brand and non-resort designation) to provide Platinum Elite (and higher) guests with free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed — but that is allowed to provide a measly 1,000 Points instead.

It's a list worth looking at — and using as a guide for properties to avoid.

This San Diego property is not in violation of the official T&Cs.
sdsearch and kgkg like this.

Last edited by Horace; Nov 13, 2019 at 8:20 pm
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: United 1P
Originally Posted by Horace
Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina is one of 20 (number can change) properties in the United States, listed in the Marriott Bonvoy Terms & Conditions, that would normally be required (based on brand and non-resort designation) to provide Platinum Elite (and higher) guests with free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but that is allowed to provide a measly 1,000 Points instead.

It's a list worth looking at and using as a guide for properties to avoid.

This San Diego property is not in violation of the official T&Cs.
Thank you!
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thumbs down Courtyard Detroit Downtown

A friend who is Plat stayed here last weekend. Unfortunately, he was not familiar with the Courtyard breakfast benefit. He was disappointed when all they offered him was 2 water bottles at check in when he should have been entitled to 4X$10 vouchers (he was there 2 nights). He didn’t tell me about this until the day after he got home.

I think a complaint is in order. Should he address this to the hotel, Marriott customer service or both?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by margarita girl
A friend who is Plat stayed here last weekend. Unfortunately, he was not familiar with the Courtyard breakfast benefit. He was disappointed when all they offered him was 2 water bottles at check in when he should have been entitled to 4X$10 vouchers (he was there 2 nights). He didnt tell me about this until the day after he got home. I think a complaint is in order. Should he address this to the hotel, Marriott customer service or both?
Perhaps he got the 500 points per stay as the welcome amenity? If that is in his bonvOY account, it will be difficult to pursue. Even then the Guarantee payout for CYs is only US$50.
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:46 pm

Pretty sad when every single member needs to know the exact in/out with the program...…………..if you don't your probably screwed because there is no such thing as consistency here.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Tanic
Perhaps he got the 500 points per stay as the welcome amenity? If that is in his bonvOY account, it will be difficult to pursue. Even then the Guarantee payout for CYs is only US$50.
I got more details. He asked about breakfast at check in. They said they dont have a restaurant so pointed him to IHOP and Applebees. No mention was made of the $10X4 F&B option, so I drafted a complaint letter for him. Will see what happens.

If you arent on FT, hotels can really take advantage of uninformed customers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.