Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
And what makes you think MAR isn't doing what you suggest? I actually do put more of this on the franchisees & not as much on MAR.

I've got a friend who works for a franchisee. He has done the video training (and indulges me every time I ask him questions that come up on FT, as long as it doesn't violate company private info). His fellow FDCs haven't done the same. They're paid $10/hour. They know the basic titles of elites, but they've not delved into all the details. Odds are at $10/hour they don't really care that much. And its not like they're getting dinged by the franchise company for not doing it. My guess is the managers would get dinged by MAR if they didn't do the training (which means no excuse for them), but FDC - that could go either way.

FWIW - I'm Lifetime Titanium & even I don't care that much on some of the bennies. Some of my fellow FTers are way more anal on the bennies/care more than I do & that's fine. But to me it's not the be all/end all. At the end of the day it's literally just a hotel program & my life will not be ruined if not all bennies are provided. OVMV.

Cheers.
...Points well taken. True enough, sometimes these things don't mean much but it would be nice if their was consistency and understanding of the program - whether it benefits me or not. I agree, when it's all said and done it is just a hotel program.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by hotelboy

If it pains you this much why are you still staying with Marriott? Why not take your money to Hilton or IHg?
It doesn't pain me that much (yet ) to simply leave the program 100%. I have invested a lot in the program over the years.........just expressing my opinion on this specific thread and topic.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by flyingflying
many think titanium is bellow platinium therefore no upgrade for you man
I posted this exact observation back in April after a month of travelling between several Marriott properties where this came up 4 separate times between 11 hotels. One FD manager was apologetic, explaining further that they'd been told in a training session that Titanium was a "transitional level" for Plats who did not requalify, and she wished me better luck this year. She was very nice, even if wrong.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Staying at The Dixon, Autograph, London. Was offered $10 F&B credit. Is this per person or per room? My wife is staying with me so thought would be $20

I'm Titanium
Old May 24, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Per person (up to 2), per day. Bring a copy of the T&Cs and be prepared to argue. Bonvoy!
Old May 24, 2019, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by mmogdan
Staying at The Dixon, Autograph, London. Was offered $10 F&B credit. Is this per person or per room? My wife is staying with me so thought would be $20

I'm Titanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Per person (up to 2), per day. Bring a copy of the T&Cs and be prepared to argue. Bonvoy!
If an Autograph Collection (non-resort) doesn't have an exec lounge, it's supposed to be breakfast (can be cont'l or full) in the restaurant or 750/points per day. The $10FB credit is part of the PAG option. Could be the FDC has gotten the PAG option confused, as I'm pretty sure we have reports in The Dixon property thread that a cont'l brekkie is provided.

Cheers
Old May 25, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mmogdan

I'm Titanium
Nope. As Sharon noted, the $10 USD F&B credit is a welcome gift choice PER STAY, not per person or per day.

The lounge/breakfast benefit if a separate benefit. This one is for member + 1. So the second guest in the room also gets lounge access (or restaurant breakfast if there is no lounge or the lounge is closed).

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
At Autograph Collection, the $10 USD F&B credit Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador Welcome Gift is NOT per person. So the T&Cs would not help.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I still had a thank you for being a Platinum Premier member at a hotel last week.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by holocker
I still had a thank you for being a Platinum Premier member at a hotel last week.
Was it when they were offering you breakfast?

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:55 am

Are Marriott Gold members getting breakfast in Europe

We are heading to London and staying at Regents Park. It appears that Gold status has been downgraded and no longer receives free breakfast or lounge access. Is this the case or are the European hotels still allowing gold members to have a free breakfast. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by doc34
We are heading to London and staying at Regents Park. It appears that Gold status has been downgraded and no longer receives free breakfast or lounge access. Is this the case or are the European hotels still allowing gold members to have a free breakfast. Thanks in advance.
Actually, the benefits in Europe with Hilton Gold / Diamond status is generally a little bit better than in the US, because Europe isn't (yet) oversaturated with Gold or Diamond members who easily gain status through credit cards.

The TOS for loyalty at Hilton is almost the same for US & EMEA:
Lounge access is not a guarantee as a Hilton Gold, only if you're upgraded to a room that grants you lounge access. Breakfast is a benefit for Hilton Gold and must be applied.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by doc34
It's more accurate to say that Gold Elite has been renamed.

On August 18, 2018, Marriott combined Marriott Rewards, R-C Rewards, and SPG into a single program with program modifciations and renamed status tiers. The combined program is now called Marriott Bonvoy.

Previously, Gold Elite was the name for Marriott Rewards' 50-74 nights/year status tier. But now Gold Elite is the name for Marriott Bonvoy's 25-49 nights/year status tier, and Platinum Elite is the name for Marriott Bonvoy's 50-74 nights/year status tier. The new names align Rewards and SPG.

Various elite breakfast benefits kick in at the 50 nights per year level. That's how it was before, and that's still how it is.

Unfortunately, all sorts of reviews of stays prior to the August 18, 2018, on TripAdvisor and other websites discuss breakfast at Marriott properties at the Gold Elite level. When reading such reviews, keep in mind that the elite tiers have been renamed.

In short, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite members do NOT get elite breakfast (as a Welcome Gift or through the lounge/breakfast benefit) as a published benefit in Europe or elsewhere in the world.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I have an interesting one about the $10 credit.

Stayed at a Moxy in Europe (FRA to preempt the obsessive requests to name the property -- first time at that brand), and chose the $10 credit (converted to EUR9). Asked if I needed vouchers, no no, just get whatever you want --grab-n-go, hot "food," drinks at the bar-- and we'll deduct EUR9pp/d. Alrighty, then. At check-out wasn't given a printout, but just told the amount. I knew my rate was EUR160-something, and the FD agent quoted EUR172-ish, which sounded ok given a local occupancy tax of EUR2pp/d. I reminded her of the EUR9 credits and she did some typing, then swiped my credit card. Grabbed the printout, rushed to the train. Not checking it on the spot was a mistake, I know. Turns out because I checked out alone, the agent took off one EUR9 credit that had already been posted, and ended up charging me EUR180-ish (without mentioning that it's more than the EUR172 she initially mentioned). Moreover, I found out that they don't deduct a flat EUR9, but rather the credit applies to a single transaction only -- a EUR7.50 purchase was taken off, but a not part of an EUR3 transaction. Of course this wasn't mentioned when I checked in.

The amounts are minimal and it's partially my fault for not requiring and checking a printout before handing over my CC, but I thought increasing the rate read out at check-out is just shady. So I emailed to ask to have the bill corrected, and the hotel now asks me to prove that I had a +1.

Anyway, I learned to, on my thankfully very rare stays at one of the $10 discount brands, to specifically ask at check-in how the credit is applied (single transaction?), and at check-out demand a printout and check it closely. Oh, and I'll make an effort to book away from these brands whenever at all possible.
travelswithmyself likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:56 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Limiting it to a single transaction is really pushing being cheap to new levels.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
FIFY
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Limiting it to a single transaction is really pushing being cheap BONVOYING to new levels.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.