Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Bravada04
I still don't know what the rules are for breakfast across the platform? Not a frickin' clue?
The most readable explanation from Marriott itself of the Platinum Elite (and higher) breakfast benefit is here:

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi

The page lists the guaranteed Elite benefits and the guest compensation for failures. It doesn't go into as much detail as the Terms & Conditions, so it lacks some of the exclusions and finer points. But it's a a great way to see everything on one page.

For breakfast, the important thing to know is that at some full-service hotels, breakfast is a function of the Welcome Gift. At others, it's only a function of Lounge Access. And, in some cases, the guest can choose breakfast as a Welcome gift or can access the lounge, if there is one, for breakfast.

Also, for a different overview, see the Wiki at the top of this thread.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I still don't know what the rules are for breakfast across the platform? Not a frickin' clue?
Do what I do. Pick 4-5 brands and learn what they offer.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:48 pm

Well, my most recent one was at the Four Points Las Vegas. I "thought" it included breakfast in the restaurant. Maybe I was wrong.

- First I was given "one" $10.00 voucher for a 3 night stay. I had to talk her into it to give me three of these.
- Then on the second day I was given two "$12.00 vouchers" as I brought it up at the front desk. Apparently this was done as a customer service gesture. This allowed me to receive a small plate of scrambled eggs and then on another separate plate a pancake like hashbrown?
- Then I was shown a "Platinum/Titanium" card that should have been given apparently for a continental breakfast - anything over and above I would have to pay for.
- The continental was a small bowl of diced fruit with one pastry - that is it.

I did a brief review on the master thread of this hotel....it was an interesting stay to say the least.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Alaska
Well, my most recent one was at the Four Points Las Vegas. I "thought" it included breakfast in the restaurant. Maybe I was wrong.

- First I was given "one" $10.00 voucher for a 3 night stay. I had to talk her into it to give me three of these.
- Then on the second day I was given two "$12.00 vouchers" as I brought it up at the front desk. Apparently this was done as a customer service gesture. This allowed me to receive a small plate of scrambled eggs and then on another separate plate a pancake like hashbrown?
- Then I was shown a "Platinum/Titanium" card that should have been given apparently for a continental breakfast - anything over and above I would have to pay for.
- The continental was a small bowl of diced fruit with one pastry - that is it.

I did a brief review on the master thread of this hotel....it was an interesting stay to say the least.
Four points depends on what you choose for welcome gift. Breakfast in restaurant can be chosen as welcome gift. If got lounge, breakfast in lounge also can.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:19 pm

Definitely no lounge here...........I honestly do not know of any Four Points that have a lounge?
Old May 5, 2019, 5:52 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by freed0m

Four points depends on what you choose for welcome gift. Breakfast in restaurant can be chosen as welcome gift. If got lounge, breakfast in lounge also can.
Yes, but the 4Points breakfast in the restaurant is often "continental" and that is subject to definition by the hotel. And when it is continental, some hotels will let you just pay an upgrade charge if you want something else and some hotels will require full payment if you want something else. (In the later case, I'm inclined to ask for the continental breakfast to be packed up to go for a snack later.)
Old May 5, 2019, 5:56 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Definitely no lounge here...........I honestly do not know of any Four Points that have a lounge?
The Wiki in the lounge thread shows about six 4Points with lounges all in Asia or Middle East.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Do what I do. Pick 4-5 brands and learn what they offer.
You added the smiley but that's really the practical solution. I pity the road warrior who's doing all 30 Marriott brands this year. Sure, I may have different price points and amenity needs for business vs. leisure, and not every brand is in every market (!) but focusing your efforts also allows one to become familiar with the relevant regional brand standards.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Am considering staying at Renaissance Hotel Barcelona.
I am a Platinum Elite MB member.

I was interested in complimentary breakfast. The MB web site suggests that one option for the welcome amenity is US$10 F and B credit (for the whole stay). I just spoke to a Marriott Bonvoy Customer Service agent -she suggested that one option for full amenity is complimentary daily full breakfast. Who is right?
Old May 9, 2019, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII

I was interested in complimentary breakfast. The MB web site suggests that one option for the welcome amenity is US$10 F and B credit (for the whole stay). I just spoke to a Marriott Bonvoy Customer Service agent -she suggested that one option for full amenity is complimentary daily full breakfast. Who is right?
At Renaissance, you get breakfast in the lounge if there is a lounge, and breakfast in the restaurant if there is no lounge.

$10 F&B is a welcome amenity option. That's a different benefit.

This is all described in the wiki.
osotoc and yurtripper like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by stc
The Wiki in the lounge thread shows about six 4Points with lounges all in Asia or Middle East.
The Marriott web site (under MB elite tier benefits) suggests that Renaissance Hotels in Canada/USA/Europe do not offer free breakfast to Platinum Elites and up; but the wiki suggests otherwise. The web site suggests that the Renaissance Resorts in these 3 regions do offer free breakfast. I believe that web site suggests that free breakfast is offered in Renaissance Hotels and also Renaissance reports for such MB elites.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The Marriott web site (under MB elite tier benefits) suggests that Renaissance Hotels in Canada/USA/Europe do not offer free breakfast to Platinum Elites and up
You are not reading correctly.
Guaranteed Lounge Access. The Member plus one guest staying in the same room receives access to the Concierge/Executive/Club/Signature Club/M Club lounge (collectively, “Lounge” or “Lounge Access”) during normal hours of operations at JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Delta Hotels, Le Méridien, Westin, Autograph Collection, and Renaissance Hotels.
United States and Canada: If Lounge is closed or property does not have a Lounge or approved alternative, property to offer daily continental breakfast in restaurant for Member +1 or Member can choose 750 Points per day
Europe: Properties without a Lounge or approved alternative offer daily breakfast in restaurant for Member +1 or Member can choose 750 Points per day
Old May 11, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Unless things have changed since I was there about five years ago, they offer complete buffet brekkie for elites at the well equipped restaurant on the second floor ( first floor in Europe). The hotel location is excellent, about four blocks from Plaza Catalunya. I have to warn you, the rooms are small, even an upgrade but still well worth it.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:28 pm

Renaissance Hotel Barcelona. I was there in October 2018 and they did give a full breakfast as Platinum. In fact it was the best breakfast I've had at any hotel, and we also had the best waiter ever. In addition to the buffet, they make a number of things to order. I usually had eggs benedict and the most amazing tasting waffle I've ever had. But I will also say, the hotel has mold. I get very sick from mold, and can usually tell right away. Fortunately they moved us to a room in the opposite end of the hotel and it was better. But any time we walked through the bad end (through the lobby, the hallway to the breakfast room, the hallway to the rooftop bar), I felt sick and had to run. I do agree the location was excellent.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Does anyone forecast that, in the near future, Plat members will lose some benefits (free breakfast, Lounge access and 4pm late chk/o guarantee) in favour of Titanium level?

i really hope not and I fear that but someone was writing about that some months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.