Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter

Bonvoy “continental” breakfast card

At which brand of hotel did you get this? Thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
2 eligible elites staying in 1 room

... hopefully an easy clarification.

2 adults + 2 kids staying in a single suite. 1 adult has Titanium the other Platinum status in the program. Does each member qualify for their own +1 breakfast benefit, or is the complimentary breakfast a 1 per room benefit? Do the kiddos need to pay for breakfast? Brand in question is a W.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
... hopefully an easy clarification.

2 adults + 2 kids staying in a single suite. 1 adult has Titanium the other Platinum status in the program. Does each member qualify for their own +1 breakfast benefit, or is the complimentary breakfast a 1 per room benefit? Do the kiddos need to pay for breakfast? Brand in question is a W.
The reservation can only have 1 elite member's # in the reservation, regardless if there are 2 elites in the room. The # in the reservation dictates what is allowed (whether that be basic member, silver, gold platinum, titantium, ambassador). The benefit is elite+1 (Plat,Tit/Amb). The particular property may allow all 4 to have free brekkie (depending on the kids age), but they're not required to do so - at any brand.

Cheers.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Breakfast Vouchers with gratuities included

Does anyone know how much gratuities the staff get with the breakfast vouchers that have gratuities included? Is it standard across North America or different depending on location and hotel?

I don't usually carry cash with me and the Delta hotels in Canada never gives me a bill to sign. They insist that gratuity is included and not to worry about it.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Whenever I've asked about this at Westin-type properties in the USA, I was told 18%, but this might vary depending on whether the hotel does the 3% health care surcharge and what the minimum wage rules are for the hotel.

BTW, I like the way Hyatt is extremely explicit that their free breakfast benefit for certain elites includes the tip.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
Does anyone know how much gratuities the staff get with the breakfast vouchers that have gratuities included? Is it standard across North America or different depending on location and hotel?

I don't usually carry cash with me and the Delta hotels in Canada never gives me a bill to sign. They insist that gratuity is included and not to worry about it.
The vouchers for the elite status breakfast benefit that corporate Marriott supplies to individual properties specifically state tip and tax included.

I have seen most properties use them. What the tip is who knows, but considering many of the properties are unionized I would be shocked if it was less than whatever the tip fee is for room service (typically 18% or 20%).

The only time I have seen different vouchers is when breakfast was included as part of the room rate or when breakfast was comped as a service recovery.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GateGuardian

I was told 18% by my waiter when I stayed at Westin Austin back in Septenver. I was given 2 daily breakfast vouchers to Stella San Jac and could order 1 drink and any entree off the brunch menu (stayed 2 weekend nights). Food was delicious!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: alaska air, united, marriott
Ah, the memories. This reminds me of the consternation generated when, during the downturn in the economy, Marriott removed hot breakfast meats from lounge offerings. You would have thought it was the end of the world! I happen to like the Delta pantries - gives you 24 hour access to items never available in regular Marriott lounges such as ice cream novelties. The Orlando (actually Lake Buena Vista) does include muffins, bagels and such. If this is a deal breaker, then, yes, there are always plenty of 'Envoy' alternatives around.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Thank you - your post reminded me to edit the Wiki to reflect the Delta pantry breakfast "loophole"; I feel it's a cheapskate bean-counter move.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
AC Hotel Malaga Palacio

Staying here for 5 nights. Two of us - I was offered points or $20 Food and Beverage Credit per day. So what I expected.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:30 am

Four Points Breakfast Benefit

It was my understanding that a breakfast benefit was part of the PLAT amenity at Four Points hotels..........I was just reading that at the Four Points Las Vegas a guest was given a $10.00 Voucher?

Is that correct. I thought only Courtyards did that? This was another benefit that obviously changed since the merger if that is correct. What is the recourse if the hotel offers that?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bravada04
.....I was just reading that at the Four Points Las Vegas a guest was given a $10.00 Voucher?......
Link? It was not posted on main thread Four Points by Sheraton Las Vegas East Flamingo [Master Thread].
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:49 am

Sorry, it was a TA review...............see below.

No upgrade to deluxe room for Marriott Bonvoy titanium elite member. I was given a breakfast voucher to use that would cover $10 for me and one guest but only $10 was deducted instead of $20. When I called the hotel they said a manager would return my call but that was 3 days ago.

I am heading to LV solo doing a little golfing and poker. My go to place over the years was the Westin but I am trying to stick to my guns and try my business elsewhere. I am tired of the resort fees and now a parking fee the Westin has started. Not crazy about the 4Points but if I want to stick to my guns this is what I have to do. Not so sure I would stay here if the wife was with me but easily done when solo.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Bravada04
It was my understanding that a breakfast benefit was part of the PLAT amenity at Four Points hotels..........I was just reading that at the Four Points Las Vegas a guest was given a $10.00 Voucher?

Is that correct. I thought only Courtyards did that? This was another benefit that obviously changed since the merger if that is correct. What is the recourse if the hotel offers that?
Breakfast was an SPG Platinum Welcome Gift choice before the loyalty programs were merged — and it still is.

At Four Points and Aloft, the "Elite Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite Members and Above" choices are "500 Points per Stay or amenity or breakfast in restaurant per day for Member +1."

Yes, at Courtyard properties in the United States, Canada, and Europe, the "Elite Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite Members and Above" choices are "500 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1**" — with the footnote "** The U.S. $10 F&B credit per day is for the Member. An additional U.S. $10 F&B credit per day is given for one (1) guest staying in the same guestroom as the Member." That's not just for Courtyard. That's also for AC Hotels and Moxy Hotels.

It's all the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions online: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:03 am

So then the $10 voucher is incorrect? They should have had a choice of breakfast or the points? This breakfast thing is becoming very confusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.