Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
But ... that's very different than a $10 voucher at Beaver, or a muffin at Scrub Island.
They give a muffin? I thought it was just toast. Or was that Westin Cabo or Marriott Wailea? I'm getting confused already
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The exec lounge sticky lists which exec lounges (both SPG & MAR) are open/closed on the weekend & what they do for breakfast (ie, cont'l, full,, etc) if the exec lounge is closed. The exec lounge sticky also lists properties (both SPG & MAR) that do not have exec lounges & what they offer (cont'l, full, etc) since they do not have a lounge. It's intended to be a 'snapshot/cliff notes' version/provide info 'at a glance'.

It is not intended to provide significant details re: what is offered (salmon, mimosa/buck fizz, oatmeal, etc, etc, etc) as that info should go into the property thread as most people who are staying at a property usually read the property thread where people can provide lots of details & pictures.

Plus FT has a character limit on how much info can go into a single post, which is why US & Int'l/Rest of World in the exec lounge sticky were separated into two separate posts.

Cheers.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Horace
It's a shame that someone would "never set foot" in an Autograph Collection hotel or resort because a handful of properties fail to provide the Platinum Elite benefits promised by the Terms & Conditions.

Overall, Autograph Collection is a wonderful brand. For example...

Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, in Davenport, Iowa, provides a terrific Platinum Elie breakfast: any entree on the excellent breakfast menu + juice + good coffee, graciously served in the hotel's Bix Bistro restaurant, for member + 1, with tax and tip included.

The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection, in Washington, DC, has an executive lounge that compares favorably with lounges at typical U.S. full-service Marriott and Rennaissance hotels.

Unfortunately, a few properties think that being "fiercely independent" means they can thumb their noses at Marriott's Platinum Elite benefits -- and thus at Platinum Elite members. And Marriott lets them get away with it. Shame on Marriott.
Well maybe we need a wiki outlining the good and the bad then. I’ve never stayed at an Autograph Collection and it seems that until 3 hrs ago, all the comments re breakfast were negative ones!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Well maybe we need a wiki outlining the good and the bad then. I’ve never stayed at an Autograph Collection and it seems that until 3 hrs ago, all the comments re breakfast were negative ones!
Someone started a violations thread which will hopefully become a useful resource in general. Also I have to agree that I've had some good Autograph experiences. Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo has a very nice lounge breakfast.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Someone started a violations thread which will hopefully become a useful resource in general. .
I understand the idea of creating such a thread.

I think the problem is that different properties will be listed & someone might have to wade through multiple posts re: properties they're not interested in to get the info they want for a specific property. The advantage of posting in a specific property thread is that most people will read a property thread if they're thinking of staying there & so the info would be there. There's also the issue of what isn't that great to one person is fine for another.

If someone really wanted to provide detailed info, I'd recommend posting in the property thread. Or create/edit a wiki within a property thread w/ info (and a date it was valid).

Cheers.
margarita girl and nexusCFX like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I’ve never stayed at an Autograph Collection and it seems that until 3 hrs ago, all the comments re breakfast were negative ones!]
Considering that the thread devolved to complaints about properties skimping on breakfast, that probably shouldn't be surprising

If you check the specific threads for various Autograph Collection properties, you will see a variety of reports on breakfast, including positive ones.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Staying at a few AC hotels in Madrid...does the 10 euro credit cover the breakfast buffet? Does anyone know how much they typically charge? It will be disappointing if the credit doesn't even cover the buffet in full.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
no breakfast ritz

Ritz lake tahoe has special area with buffet breakfast for elites

Also autograph Savannah offers free breakfast for platinums + 1 at the restaurant
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Staying at a few AC hotels in Madrid...does the 10 euro credit cover the breakfast buffet? Does anyone know how much they typically charge? It will be disappointing if the credit doesn't even cover the buffet in full.
The new (since August 18, 2018) Platinum Elite Welcome Gift option at AC Hotels is a daily 10 USD F&B for member + 1. It's not promoted as a breakfast benefit.

Currently, 10 USD = 8.74 EUR.

According to https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...arlton-madrid/ the prices for breakfast is at the AC Hotel Carlton Madrid are:
  • Buffet breakfast, fee from 19.25 EUR
  • Continental breakfast, fee from 13.75 EUR
I have not seen reports on this forum about how AC Hotels are handing the new benefit. I would think this means that new benefit is usually provided as described, without significant deviations that would delight or disappoint Platinum Elite guests.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Iguana0
Not sure about children but I can confirm that the Westin Whistler now offers full (buffet) breakfast for member + 1 guest in the restaurant.
Full buffet is nice!

​Anyone with experience regarding whether kids are included in the breakfast benefit?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:19 pm
kkl

If upgraded room to 2 bedroom suite, and have 4 guest. Is breakfast for 4ppl or 2 max?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Full buffet is nice!

​Anyone with experience regarding whether kids are included in the breakfast benefit?
Originally Posted by kkl
If upgraded room to 2 bedroom suite, and have 4 guest. Is breakfast for 4ppl or 2 max?
The benefit is clearly for Plat member + 1. However I suspect this is a YMMV situation where the hotel can choose to extend the benefit to children. That’s how it worked for SPG.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC

The benefit is clearly for Plat member + 1. However I suspect this is a YMMV situation where the hotel can choose to extend the benefit to children. That’s how it worked for SPG.

Thanks. It probably is a ymmv situation. For the record, folks in the Westin Whistler thread stated that their experience is strictly member plus guest and that kids are extra, although one person did suggest they may show some flexibility with very young kids (ie, under 5-ish).
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Thanks. It probably is a ymmv situation. For the record, folks in the Westin Whistler thread stated that their experience is strictly member plus guest and that kids are extra, although one person did suggest they may show some flexibility with very young kids (ie, under 5-ish).
For sure. Be nice. Don't demand, and they might offer it. I've had hotels extend lounge access to all members in my party when I had 3 rooms booked even though the rules say only Plat member + 1.

Good luck!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.

Although hotels in China seem to be strict about lounge access, my daughter and friends were allowed to rotate guests as long as only two of them were in the lounge at the same time. Although cycling family members won't work for restaurant dining, it might work for a lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.