Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Just a gentle reminder/plea to help me to help you (generic you, FTers).. If you stay at full-service properties (or CYs in Asia), please post in the exec lounge sticky what they're doing for breakfast. I really am trying to keep it updated, but have limited time so can't always read each individual property thread in the forum to try & find updates. It's easier for me if it's posted in the sticky. Having said that, I'll take any updates where I can get them.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...worldwide.html

FWIW - for the moment I've got Beaver Creek Lodge, Autograph Collection listed as jr1202sr has reported. (and if I were him, I'd meet w/ the GM at the end & point out the thousands that went to the other venues in spend because of the nickel/dime/not following policy).

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Dec 27, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Then why does the LNF thread prevent indicating the OTA website used for price matching?
It doesn't. You just get chastised by other members. Besides that's not Marriott criticism being censored, so not sure what the relevance is (except to change the subject).

If Marriott-critical posts were being censored, my post count would drop by at least 1000.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Ksw299
As per rules they only have to give continental breakfast, so properties can make up their own rules abt what constitutes as continental. I recently read somewhere that the Scrub island resort in BVI just gave a muffin and coffee for breakfast. I just came back from the Westin Mont Tremblant resort and my coupon just included cold items and scrambled eggs. Had to pay CAD 7 to upgrade to full breakfast - not much compared to you but as you can see the properties are making their own rules.
Not true. Properties with lounges that are closed have to give a continental breakfast. Properties without lounges have to give breakfast in the restaurant. There's a big difference and a deliberate use by Marriott of "breakfast in the restaurant" without any "continental" limitation or qualification.

I have been complaining to my ambassador and sending emails to corporate Marriott on each and every property that plays fast-and-loose with the breakfast benefit. You should do the same and also consider Trip Advisor.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
No call or email or response from any supervisor. So it stands 10 dollars voucher at the Beaver Creek Lodge per person.

As a result I did not eat at the restaurant last night with a party of 8 and chose to eat at the Italian Restaurant in the Village. Our bill there was over $400 Dollars.

Beaver Creek Lodge is the loser here. We also are not spending any money at the bar and are NOT doing the price fix offering for New Years. They are going to lose THOUSANDS of dollars of spend from me. Hopefully others will be warned in advance....

I am not going to waste my vacation time with my kids/wife over this trying to resolve it, but it really is unfortunate that 3 months after the new program has been rolled out their is so much confusion. This week will be put me over 120+ nights for the year and one of the reasons I am loyal to Marriott as when I travel with my family they tend to be very good to them (me).
You should send this as an email to

Arne Sorenson, CEO <[email protected]>
David Flueck, senior vice president of loyalty <[email protected]>
Justin Biermann, director of loyalty product strategy <[email protected]>
Guest Experience Supervisor Escalation <[email protected]>
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:00 am

Checked in with the Front Desk Early AM before Breakfast and they had NO answer for me and I got no call back yesterday. Lady at the desk felt bad, but clearly didn't have any power (she was there yesterday too). She emailed her "upper management" and I told her I was more upset that my time wasn't worth their response to me and even if I am wrong I deserve a follow up call and she agreed. I am out of the resort most of the day and not going to ruin my trip worry about this all day.

Still no Resolution though after 3 nights here. I blame the hotel, but equally Marriott for allowing this to happen. They could be very clear to the hotels if they wanted to be about what is expected. Not letting this ruin the trip, but I can tell this will question my loyalty to Marriott. 123 nights with Marriott this year FWIW and can't even get a return call from the hotel.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Checked in with the Front Desk Early AM before Breakfast and they had NO answer for me and I got no call back yesterday. Lady at the desk felt bad, but clearly didn't have any power (she was there yesterday too). She emailed her "upper management" and I told her I was more upset that my time wasn't worth their response to me and even if I am wrong I deserve a follow up call and she agreed. I am out of the resort most of the day and not going to ruin my trip worry about this all day.

Still no Resolution though after 3 nights here. I blame the hotel, but equally Marriott for allowing this to happen. They could be very clear to the hotels if they wanted to be about what is expected. Not letting this ruin the trip, but I can tell this will question my loyalty to Marriott. 123 nights with Marriott this year FWIW and can't even get a return call from the hotel.
Again, email Marriott using the addresses I gave. My guess is this is a third-party managed property. The worst offenders seem to be so. Marriott may have no idea, but regardless a third-party management company could care less about your Marriott loyalty.
C17PSGR and Happy like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
You should send this as an email to

Arne Sorenson, CEO <[email protected]>
David Flueck, senior vice president of loyalty <[email protected]>
Justin Biermann, director of loyalty product strategy <[email protected]>
Guest Experience Supervisor Escalation <[email protected]>
Are you getting responses from any of these folks ? Have any “offending “ properties reached out to you after you sent your comments to corporate? Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Autograph Collection properties that fail to comply with the published Terms & Conditions — such as Beaver Creek Lodge, Autograph Collection — end up hurting the many Autograph Collection properties that provide a wonderful breakfast to Platinum Elite guests.

Although the Terms & Conditions do not explicitly define what "breakfast in the restaurant" at Autograph Collection means, it's reasonable to assume that it would be consistent with what a guest would expect at a 4-star (or higher) hotel.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Horace
Autograph Collection properties that fail to comply with the published Terms & Conditions — such as Beaver Creek Lodge, Autograph Collection — end up hurting the many Autograph Collection properties that provide a wonderful breakfast to Platinum Elite guests.

Although the Terms & Conditions do not explicitly define what "breakfast in the restaurant" at Autograph Collection means, it's reasonable to assume that it would be consistent with what a guest would expect at a 4-star (or higher) hotel.
I think there have been 3 rogue Autograph Collection properties reported here (I think hockey insider reported two), and I can assure you that based on that info, I will never set foot in that brand!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:55 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I think there have been 3 rogue Autograph Collection properties reported here (I think hockey insider reported two), and I can assure you that based on that info, I will never set foot in that brand!

MG- the only Autograph property we ever stayed at- Domes of Elounda- had the BEST service of any hotel we stayed at in 2018 (and we were at many of SPG’s top Cat 8 properties). I am sure that staying in the Haute Living section accounts for the exceptional bespoke service we received (we were given a special cell phone that rang our host directly whenever we needed something). But we met the GM and he is very hands on and really cares about providing a great experience for his guests.

There is a reason this is Legacy Marriott’s top property. You shouldn’t miss it if you have a chance to visit.

RE: breakfast. We were given the option of dining in one of several restaurants, dining in the Haute Living lounge or having a lavish spread delivered daily to our private view terrace.

Happy and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I suppose it depends on the property.

For example, the Autograph Pier South let me order anything off the breakfast menu. The Domes Chania has a phenomenal buffet, The Grand Bohemian Orlando has almost always upgraded me to a suite and has a very good executive lounge. Since they have treated me so well, I was surprised to HI's experience at a different Grand Bohemian property.

That being said, Beaver Creek Lodge is part of the Kessler Collection, which also operates the Casa Monica (see previous comments by a different poster). It seems to me that complaining to the Kessler folks is also an option. Most of their properties are Autograph properties and could easily fit in the legacy Luxury Collection.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl
The Laylow, Autograph Collection in Honolulu is another chronic offender. So that's four.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mister Nice

Are you getting responses from any of these folks ? Have any “offending “ properties reached out to you after you sent your comments to corporate? Thanks
I have several discussions with senior corporate leadership, including a 90-minute telephone call. They probably gave me that much time because I spend (or did before August) so much money on events.

I've also had general managers discuss things with me when I object to noncompliance. They always offer me a full breakfast when I register my complaint -- if I'm still on-property -- and promise to look into it, but who knows if they've made changes.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I suppose it depends on the property.

For example, the Autograph Pier South let me order anything off the breakfast menu. The Domes Chania has a phenomenal buffet, The Grand Bohemian Orlando has almost always upgraded me to a suite and has a very good executive lounge. Since they have treated me so well, I was surprised to HI's experience at a different Grand Bohemian property.

That being said, Beaver Creek Lodge is part of the Kessler Collection, which also operates the Casa Monica (see previous comments by a different poster). It seems to me that complaining to the Kessler folks is also an option. Most of their properties are Autograph properties and could easily fit in the legacy Luxury Collection.
Kessler and Prince Hotels are interesting because they operate their own programs so you don't actually know if you're getting preference as a Marriott customer. I read one of the contracts that Marriott has with a hotel -- I presume the language is pretty similar -- and it would seem like Kessler and Prince would be violating exclusivity provisions by basically operating their own loyalty programs and promoting other properties they own or manage that aren't in the Marriott portfolio.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I checked into the Marriott Detroit Metro Airport last night. The lounge is closed until January 2.

This is how a property is supposed to it. You get a voucher for two for a "complimentary breakfast" that includes anything off the menu or the full buffet. It also includes tax and tip.

Because the lounge is closed they are also giving out complimentary appetizer vouchers.
Happy and margarita girl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.