Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
So per this link https://samchui.com/2018/06/09/marri.../#.XCOGaWmIadM

autograph collection RESORTS get Daily breakfast (continental sometimes or a credit for what continental is worth) while autograph collection HOTELS get 10 USD credit.

Beaver Creek seems to be a resort, so you should get breakfast?
Interesting. Just got back from my Hawaii vacation and stayed at the Koloa Landing Resort (I believe it's an Autograph Collection). Me and my gf got two $15 vouchers per day to be used towards breakfast. No meal on the menu was more than $20 so we paid for practically nothing out of pocket.

On the other hand, we got full paid for buffet vouchers at Royal Hawaiian in Oahu. One of the best buffets I've ever had; the cash value had to be at least $24.95 a person considering the resort/location.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
we got full paid for buffet vouchers at Royal Hawaiian in Oahu. One of the best buffets I've ever had; the cash value had to be at least $24.95 a person considering the resort/location.
If it was the Surf Lanai, it's $42.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Interesting. Just got back from my Hawaii vacation and stayed at the Koloa Landing Resort (I believe it's an Autograph Collection). Me and my gf got two $15 vouchers per day to be used towards breakfast. No meal on the menu was more than $20 so we paid for practically nothing out of pocket.

On the other hand, we got full paid for buffet vouchers at Royal Hawaiian in Oahu. One of the best buffets I've ever had; the cash value had to be at least $24.95 a person considering the resort/location.
According to the Terms & Conditions at https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi , Autograph Collection resorts and The Luxury Collection resorts both provide exactly the same Platinum Elite Welcome Gift breakfast option (bold text shows the wording is identical). But some resorts see treating Platinum Elite guests well as good business, while others see it as a cost to be minimized.

Autograph Collection:

RESORTS only:
United States, Canada, Europe: 1,000 Points per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1

Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, Middle East, and Africa: 1,000 Points per Stay or F&B amenity per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1

The Luxury Collection:

1,000 Points per Stay or amenity per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1 (including Resorts)
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Horace
According to the Terms & Conditions at https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi , Autograph Collection resorts and The Luxury Collection resorts both provide exactly the same Platinum Elite Welcome Gift breakfast option (bold text shows the wording is identical). But some resorts see treating Platinum Elite guests well as good business, while others see it as a cost to be minimized.
A thoughtful Ivy League marketing consultant would say (1) you have a pool of loyal customers who are likely influencers in their own right. (2) that pool of loyal customers likely has significant discretionary income if they are traveling 50-200 nights per year, (3) you can provide them with access to a buffet for practically no marginal cost, and (4) by providing them access to the buffet, they are likely to become advocates for the property and return customers.

But ... the food and beverage manager tells the GM, we don't have to do anything more than the minimum and the housekeeping manager tells the GM its harder to track housekeeper productivity when top guests are getting upgraded to suites rather than the same size rooms.

And ... having once been in a concierge lounge with Bill while he was making the rounds with an unannounced visit, I'm pretty comfortable with the approach the two old guys on the painting in the lobby would have taken ...
Horace and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
But some resorts see treating Platinum Elite guests well as good business, while others see it as a cost to be minimized.
This is absolutely spot on.

I'm relatively price insensitive at properties that treat me well. These are the places I will also splurge on spa, car service, etc.

Give me a $10 coupon for breakfast, I'm never coming back. In fact, if I read about it here first, I won't even book there.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is absolutely spot on.

I'm relatively price insensitive at properties that treat me well. These are the places I will also splurge on spa, car service, etc.

Give me a $10 coupon for breakfast, I'm never coming back. In fact, if I read about it here first, I won't even book there.
Exactly ... provide the intended breakfast benefit to someone at Beaver Creek, and there's a good chance you'll get multiples in return from the bar.

Plus, those who are supposed to get the breakfast benefit generally book through Marriott.com which is a savings to the property that far exceeds the cost of breakfast
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Plus, those who are supposed to get the breakfast benefit generally book through Marriott.com which is a savings to the property that far exceeds the cost of breakfast
Yes. Properties that attract a high percentage of elites will do much better than properties which rely on OTA bookings.

It never ceases to amaze me how short sighted some businesses can be when it comes to cutting costs vs. generating loyalty.
ryw likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Similarly to the lounge availability thread, Let's start an unofficial "Breakfast Hall of Shame" thread that are stingy about the breakfast benefit. Will FT's admin allow it given that they have monetary deals with Marriott corporate?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Similarly to the lounge availability thread, Let's start an unofficial "Breakfast Hall of Shame" thread that are stingy about the breakfast benefit. Will FT's admin allow it given that they have monetary deals with Marriott corporate?
lol if FT were censoring Marriott critical threads, posting volume in this forum would drop 90%.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Kacee
lol if FT were censoring Marriott critical threads, posting volume in this forum would drop 90%.
Then why does the LNF thread prevent indicating the OTA website used for price matching?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

Autograph Collection:

RESORTS only:
United States, Canada, Europe: 1,000 Points per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1

Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, Middle East, and Africa: 1,000 Points per Stay or F&B amenity per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1

The Luxury Collection:

1,000 Points per Stay or amenity per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1 (including Resorts)
Who gets to choose which option is offered/taken? The hotel or the guest?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Who gets to choose which option is offered/taken? The hotel or the guest?
At check in, they are supposed to ask you. The choice is yours.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by danola

At check in, they are supposed to ask you. The choice is yours.
I was thinking specifically of the F&B amenity vs breakfast. Can the hotel say we offer the $10 F&B amenity here in lieu of breakfast?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:40 am

No call or email or response from any supervisor. So it stands 10 dollars voucher at the Beaver Creek Lodge per person.

As a result I did not eat at the restaurant last night with a party of 8 and chose to eat at the Italian Restaurant in the Village. Our bill there was over $400 Dollars.

Beaver Creek Lodge is the loser here. We also are not spending any money at the bar and are NOT doing the price fix offering for New Years. They are going to lose THOUSANDS of dollars of spend from me. Hopefully others will be warned in advance....

I am not going to waste my vacation time with my kids/wife over this trying to resolve it, but it really is unfortunate that 3 months after the new program has been rolled out their is so much confusion. This week will be put me over 120+ nights for the year and one of the reasons I am loyal to Marriott as when I travel with my family they tend to be very good to them (me).

Last edited by jr1202sr; Dec 27, 2018 at 7:30 am
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I was thinking specifically of the F&B amenity vs breakfast. Can the hotel say we offer the $10 F&B amenity here in lieu of breakfast?
No. The guest chooses the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift, which varies by brand. For some brands, there is only one choice (example: 1000 points at Marriott Vacation Club, with no other choice).

At brands where the choice is 1000 points per STAY or $10 F&B credit per STAY or breakfast for member + 1 per DAY, the breakfast option would seem to be the obvious best choice. But if the guest has other plans for breakfast or doesn't eat breakfast or the hotel also provides executive lounge breakfast, one of the other choices might be better.

In any case, it's the guest's choice.

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
No call or email or response from any supervisor. So it stands 10 dollars voucher at the Beaver Creek Lodge per person.

As a result I did not eat at the restaurant last night with a party of 8 and chose to eat at the Italian Restaurant in the Village. Our bill there was over 400 Dollars.

Beaver Creek Lodge is the loser here. We also are not spending any money at the bar and are NOT doing the price fix offering for New Years. They are going to lose THOUSANDS of dollars of spend from me. Hopefully others will be warned in advance....
I would recommend also invoking the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift guarantee. The Beaver Creek Lodge owes you U.S. $100.

"If the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift is not offered at time of arrival, compensation applies." The compensation at Autograph Collection properties (hotels and resorts) is U.S. $100. See 4.3.c. Platinum Elite Membership Benefits in the Terms & Conditions: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

You should have been offered breakfast daily breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1 at the time of your arrival — not some sort of partial credit inadequate for breakfast.

The property failed to comply. You must request the compensation while still a guest at the Beaver Creek Lodge. See 4.1.d. in the Terms & Conditions:

ii. If an Elite Member believes that compensation is due with respect to any aspect of the Elite Benefits Guarantee, he/she must request payment of the compensation while still a guest at the Participating Property, prior to checking out. Failure to request such payment prior to check out will result in a complete waiver of any right to receive such compensation.
C17PSGR and margarita girl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.