Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by stc
Because you are staying at Courtyards. If you want better breakfast in the lounge, stay at Marriott, Sheraton, Westin, Renaissance, etc.

Courtyards are a joke (and Fairfield Inns are even worse). Same for Residence Inn etc. Just say no.
I"ve hard CY breakfasts in Europe that are better than a majority of the "high end" hotel breakfasts I've had in the U.S. Westins tend to be especially sad, where I usually encounter a half-hearted buffet thrown together in the corner of [insert chain steakhouse here].

By the way, I think this thread needs to be re-titled - instead of the quotation marks being around "breakfast offering", they need to be around "explained".
sdsearch likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by arlflyer
By the way, I think this thread needs to be re-titled - instead of the quotation marks being around "breakfast offering", they need to be around "explained".
Perhaps it should be "Marriott's Poor Excuse for a Breakfast" thread
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:09 am

Need Clarification On New Breakfast Policy at Resorts for PP

Checked into a resort property (ski) in Colorado that just became part of the network (Marriott) in the last few months. At check in they gave me 14 (2x for 7 nights) 10 dollar vouchers to use toward the PURCHASE of breakfast not for the full price which with tax and service charge is 30 bucks per person. Basically I got 1/3 off breakfast coupon.

Is this covering their requirements or should I speak to someone higher up. Unfortunately, I think the supervisor is the one who gave me the vouchers (front desk manager) and stated "their" policy. I didn't say anything because I was unsure of the new rules, but thought Marriott had to provide a breakfast not a amount off a breakfast....

Please help me figure out the new rule. It was one of the factors in deciding to stay here...

If anyone has a link I can show that would be helpful too!

THANKS!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
What property?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
What property?

I am happy to share, but does it matter now? I hate to shame them if they are new and just need some coaching on the changes. Overall they have been great.

If they don't fix it I would be happy to shame them. I just don't know if I am right or not....
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It matters because different properties have different rules. CY, regular Marriotts and RCs all have wildly different breakfast policies, for example.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:29 am

It matters because different properties have different rules. CY, regular Marriotts and RCs all have wildly different breakfast policies, for example.

Thank you for clarifying. Beaver Creek Lodge
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Thank you for clarifying. Beaver Creek Lodge
As per rules they only have to give continental breakfast, so properties can make up their own rules abt what constitutes as continental. I recently read somewhere that the Scrub island resort in BVI just gave a muffin and coffee for breakfast. I just came back from the Westin Mont Tremblant resort and my coupon just included cold items and scrambled eggs. Had to pay CAD 7 to upgrade to full breakfast - not much compared to you but as you can see the properties are making their own rules.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:48 am

Shouldn't there be a defined Continental breakfast at each resort that is offered? I can't get an OJ and Muffin with Tax and tip for 10 bucks.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So per this link https://samchui.com/2018/06/09/marriott-breakfast-lounge-access-chart/#.XCOGaWmIadM

autograph collection RESORTS get Daily breakfast (continental sometimes or a credit for what continental is worth) while autograph collection HOTELS get 10 USD credit.

Beaver Creek seems to be a resort, so you should get breakfast?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Shouldn't there be a defined Continental breakfast at each resort that is offered? I can't get an OJ and Muffin with Tax and tip for 10 bucks.
That would make it too simple now wouldn't it.
Antarius and rustykettel like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There are no enforced rules. You'll get whatever the hotel deigns to give you, and like it!

We really need to start the "Breakfast Hall of Shame" thread.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
So per this link https://samchui.com/2018/06/09/marriott-breakfast-lounge-access-chart/#.XCOGaWmIadM

autograph collection RESORTS get Daily breakfast (continental sometimes or a credit for what continental is worth) while autograph collection HOTELS get 10 USD credit.

So maybe another example of a resort not claiming to be a resort? Even though according to their booking page there is a ($50 right now) resort fee (in addition to $39/night valet-only parking and it looks like most rates are pre-pay in full with a 60-day cancel policy).

Last edited by GoPhils; Dec 26, 2018 at 8:30 am
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:51 am

Went back down stairs and spoke to someone working the front desk and they said this is how they are doing it as they are a RESORT. I explained you can't get a continental breakfast with tax and tip for $10 and thus it was inadequate (rooms are over 1K per night btw). He said he would speak to his boss later, but I am not holding my breath.

Thanks for the comments/help.

A coffee/Juice and Muffin are $10 dollars before Tax and Tip at the restaurant so you can't even get that with the voucher. I didn't expect a full breakfast, but a coffee or juice and a muffin isn't asking much imho.

Maybe we should add to Sharon's thread what the Resorts are doing on the Weekends.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
So per this link https://samchui.com/2018/06/09/marri.../#.XCOGaWmIadM

Marriott.com shows Beaver Creek Lodge, Autograph Collection, as a hotel, not as a resort. It would show "Resort" instead of "Hotel" on the top line (below the security incident line that currently appears) if it were officially a resort.

In either case — hotel or resort — Platinum Elite (or higher) members can have daily breakfast for two at Autograph Collection properties.

There is no such thing as an official daily $10 F&B option at Autograph Collection properties of any kind.

When it comes to breakfast for Platinum Elite (and higher) guests at five Marriott legacy brands — JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels — hotels and resorts have different rules in the the loyalty program's current Terms & Conditions: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

At hotels of those brands, the traditional lounge/breakfast benefit still applies. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift of 1,000 Points per stay or a $10 F&B credit per stay (not per day). The details and exceptions are in the Terms & Conditions.

At resorts of those brands, the lounge/breakfast benefit still does NOT apply. Instead, "breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1" is now a Platinum Elite Welcome Gift option, which the member can choose instead of "1,000 Points per Stay." This is a guaranteed benefit. The details and exceptions are in the Terms & Conditions.

The benefit at resorts is NOT limited to continental breakfast, despite what's been posted in this thread. It's "breakfast in restaurant," with each resort apparently having some flexibility in what that means — but it should never be just an inadequate credit.
Originally Posted by Kacee
There are no enforced rules. You'll get whatever the hotel deigns to give you, and like it!

We really need to start the "Breakfast Hall of Shame" thread.
Sadly, I have to agree. Most Marriott properties provide at least what's required by the Terms & Conditions. But some do not, and they seem to get away with it.
dgreen12, C17PSGR, Kacee and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Horace; Dec 26, 2018 at 9:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.