Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by catocony
You must be new to Courtyards :-) Up until 6-7 years ago, one of the big parts of the Courtyard was the breakfast buffet. It wasn't free (although Plats got coupons at a lot of them), but it was pretty cheap, like $10.00 plus tip. That got you a pretty good spread of hot and cold items, beverages, plenty of to-go items. Some had omelet stations, they all had waffle makers. They killed those off to put in the Bistro, which is primarily to sell booze in the afternoon and evenings. The old buffets were usually just for breakfast - I can't recall if any were open in the evenings but I think not. They killed off the large kitchens and replaced them and the serving/seating areas with the Bistro. Now they make more money selling booze and sandwiches at night, which is good for them. But, it alienated people like me who liked having a good, cheap/free buffet breakfast that was several steps up from the stuff they put out free for everyone at Res Inn, Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites and TownPlace Meth Lab.

I think that for the majority of us, things at the Courtyard will remain the same. If you are fine with the overpriced, limited Bistro breakfast menu that takes 10-15 minutes to get served, then you'll probably take the daily $10 voucher. You'll almost certainly have to pay a few bucks, but it saves you money from what you get now. If you don't like the Bistro now, you'll just take the points and pantry item and do breakfast however you currently do it.
The restaurants at Courtyards used to be open for dinner but it was not a buffet; order off the menu restaurant at night.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Horace

Non-resort properties under the Marriott Hotels, Renaissance, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, and Delta Hotels brands are not "non-breakfast included."

These brands do provide breakfast to the Platinum Elite member + 1 as a benefit, but it's through the lounge/breakfast benefit, not through the Welcome Gift benefit. This lounge/breakfast benefit is in addition to the Welcome Gift, so the Platinum Elite member can also choose one gift per stay, such as 1000 points or a $10 F&B credit.

If the lounge is open, then it's lounge access for the Platinum Elite member + 1. The lounge can be called a Concierge Lounge, M Club Lounge, Executive Lounge, Club Lounge, or whatever. The quality and selection of the breakfast spread varies by brand, geography, and individual property.

If the property doesn't have a lounge, or if the lounge is closed (as is often the case on weekend and holiday mornings), then the benefit provides a restaurant breakfast for the Platinum Elite member + 1 as the alternative.

Yes, the Platinum Elite breakfast benefit is complicated — especially how it's explained in the Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions. Check the Wiki at the top of this thread for my simple summary. With more than 6700 properties, there are some exceptions, as @jedicat666 has noted, but I think my summary is good place to start.
Ah, so the Plat Welcome Gift and the Plat Breakfast Benefit are two different things for Marriott hotels? Will the Plat Breakfast continue indefinitely, or as hotel management chooses to allow it? I have an upcoming Renaissance Midtown NYC reservation, and not sure if I should be getting breakfast, lounge or BOTH!!!???

However it's supposed to work, I've already noted two post merger Plat Welcome Gift SNAFUS:

1. Breakfast for ONE or points offered at Westin Bellevue.
2. Nothing offered at Delta Whislter. They don't have a lounge or a restaurant.

I also stayed at the Delta in Kelowna, pre-merger, and was allowed lounge access, but was told that post-merger the lounge would only be accessible to club-level guests, and the only Plat benefit would be points. (???)

If hotel staff don't even have a clear, consistent picture of what their plat benefits are, how are we supposed to when we go to book a property!?!?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by pokee
Ah, so the Plat Welcome Gift and the Plat Breakfast Benefit are two different things for Marriott hotels?
More accurately, the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift Options benefit and the Platinum Elite Lounge Access — For Member + 1 Guest benefit are two different things.

And the Welcome Gift benefit only guarantees breakfast for some brands, while the Lounge Access benefit only guarantees breakfast for some other brands — and there's no Platinum breakfast at all for still other brands. With 29 brands in the Loyalty Program, and differences between hotels and resorts for some of those brands, and some geographic differences, it's complicated and confusing.

In short, there is not a single "Plat Breakfast Benefit."

I've tried to simplify things with a list that breaks down Platinum Elite breakfast into six categories. It's in the Wiki at the top of this topic.

Will the Plat Breakfast continue indefinitely, or as hotel management chooses to allow it? I have an upcoming Renaissance Midtown NYC reservation, and not sure if I should be getting breakfast, lounge or BOTH!!!???
Until Marriott changes the Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions again, the documented Platinum Elite benefits and guarantees will continue indefinitely. Specific exceptions (such as the handful of Marriott Hotels that only provide points instead of breakfast if the lounge is closed) should be noted in the Terms & Conditions.

However it's supposed to work, I've already noted two post merger Plat Welcome Gift SNAFUS:

1. Breakfast for ONE or points offered at Westin Bellevue.
2. Nothing offered at Delta Whislter. They don't have a lounge or a restaurant.

I also stayed at the Delta in Kelowna, pre-merger, and was allowed lounge access, but was told that post-merger the lounge would only be accessible to club-level guests, and the only Plat benefit would be points. (???)

If hotel staff don't even have a clear, consistent picture of what their plat benefits are, how are we supposed to when we go to book a property!?!?
Again, I hope my list helps.

With more than 6,700 hotels, there will be cases when a hotel does something differently — either with Marriott's blessing or not. For the Westin Bellevue and the Delta Whistler, both seem to be cases of a local management failure to understand the benefits and to train the staff accordingly.

Last edited by Horace; Sep 17, 2018 at 1:02 pm
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First of all, I want to thank Horace for making a comprehensive list in the Wiki that greatly cut down the confusion.

Secondly, there is now a PDF file that is made available by Loyalty Lobby, that is from a booklet Marriott distributes to its properties to explain the new program, the new elite statuses and the corresponding benefits.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/09/17/...es-now-in-pdf/

PDF download link is in the article.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:13 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
So I've sent an email about 4 days ago to Marriott demanding an explanation for no breakfast included in room rate for Element Ubud. No reply currently.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:17 pm
IHG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by jedicat666
So I've sent an email about 4 days ago to Marriott demanding an explanation for no breakfast included in room rate for Element Ubud. No reply currently.
Called Marriott Rewards & enquired about NIL breakfast offering @ Element Ubud.
CS was clueless, referred me to SPG 1800 number.
Called SPG and was told points booking does not include breakfast @ Element brand, mentioned that I don't think that is true.
Now case is further escalated with up to 7 days wait.

Will send a PM to SPG Lurker for further clarification on this issue.
Also, is it true that element does not include "daily complementary breakfast at RISE" for pts booking ?

Last edited by jedicat666; Sep 19, 2018 at 11:28 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:55 am
IHG 5+ Badge

UPDATE :

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker III
Hi there,
We have escalated this issue to the brand manager of Element Hotels.

We are advised that Element Hotels in AP do not offer complementary breakfast at RISE restaurant and the website will be updated to clarify later.

Guess someone will need to edit the breakfast cheatsheet / wiki.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:13 am

@jedicat666, Where did Starwood Lurker III post about Element Hotels in AP?

Originally Posted by jedicat666
Guess someone will need to edit the breakfast cheatsheet / wiki.
Okay. I updated the Wiki, while keeping its focus on brand standards and published Platinum Elite benefits. Of the thousands of select-service and extended-stay hotels that provide breakfast to all guests, I'm only aware of three exceptions:

— Element by Westin Bali Ubud
— Element Kuala Lumpur
— Fairfield Inn by Marriott Anaheim Resort

I'm not aware of other Element Hotels in AP that deviate from the brand standard for breakfast. There are quite a few Element Hotels in the pipeline for AP. We'll have to see what those do.

On its landing page, the Fairfield Inn Anaheim has a notice in a large font: "No complimentary breakfast at this hotel." It's also noted other places as guests go through the reservation process. It's unlikely that it will be a surprise if someone used Marriott.com to make the reservation — although I still think Marriott should insist on adherence to brand standards.

For the two Element properties, there are no similar warnings at Marriott.com. The Dining pages for these two properties provide clues about restaurant breakfast, but even these do not clearly explain the lack of complimentary breakfast.

Also, Marriott's brand pages for Element extol the virtues of the "complimentary Rise breakfast," while not even having a footnote that there are exceptions.

Shame on Marriott (and shame Starwood Hotels before). Marriott needs to get its act together on this.

Here's how I updated the Wiki:

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element *
— Fairfield *
— Residence Inn
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
* very few exceptions; check official hotel website
The exceptions to complimentary breakfast have nothing to do with Platinum Elite benefits.

Last edited by Horace; Sep 20, 2018 at 10:21 am
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, AC Elite, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
This topic has been discussed as to whether or not you get a breakfast, can I asked a related question. Under SPG, you were getting a "continental" breakfast. The coupons specifically stated that. The new coupons just say breakfast. I am getting very varied meals depending on the property.

All In Vancouver:

Sheraton Wall Center - Lounge with Continetal
Westin Grand - Continental Buffet with option to upgrade $10 for Hot buffet
Delta Downtown - A la carte anthing on the menu
Delta Burnaby - Open buffet with option to order a la cart with no extre
Westin Wall (airport) - Lounge with Continetal

What should the menu?

Last edited by canuk; Sep 20, 2018 at 12:32 pm Reason: hit send to soon.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by canuk
This topic has been discussed as to whether or not you get a breakfast, can I asked a related question. Under SPG, you were getting a "continental" breakfast. The coupons specifically stated that. The new coupons just say breakfast. I am getting very varied meals depending on the property.

All In Vancouver:

What should the menu?
I think they are vague on purpose. This is what the FAQ says:

After 50 nights across the portfolio, members will achieve Platinum Elite status. As part of the Platinum Welcome Gift, members will have the option of choosing points, an amenity or a breakfast offering – options vary by brand, and The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, Marriott Vacation Club, Gaylord Hotels, and Design Hotels do not participate in the breakfast offering option. A breakfast offering is new for Courtyard, AC Hotels by Marriott, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels and participating resorts. Brands that are currently offering lounge access will continue to offer complimentary breakfast as part of the lounge offering.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by canuk

All In Vancouver:

What should the menu?
The best descriptions of Platinum Elite benefits are in the Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions. Ultimately, this document is more complete and definitive than any marketing material or FAQ.

If you do a "find" on the term continental breakfast, it only shows up twice — both times in conjunction with the lounge benefit at traditional Marriott legacy full-service brands. (Oddly, my lounge breakfasts at Marriott legacy full-service hotel brands have always included the option of eggs and breakfast meat.)

If you do a "find" on just the term breakfast, it shows up 19 times — all but two without continental in front of it.

However, there's no explanation of what breakfast includes. So the question remains — what, exactly, is being promised by a phrase such as "breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1 (including Resorts)"?

Of course, it can be argued that a cold continental breakfast is still a type of breakfast.

I think it comes down to management. Some managers think the way to achieve the highest profit involves shaving every cent off the cost structure, while other managers thing it involves achieving higher occupancy and room rates through delighted guests.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Received an email for an upcoming stay:
We are looking forward to welcome you to our beautiful property Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa!

As a Platinum Premier Elite Member TM thank you very much for your continued loyalty, we would like to provide you with all the information possible in order to help you plan your vacations in advance. Our intention is to help you enhance your vacation, to meet and exceed your expectations.

We think that it is important that you are aware that Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort and Spa does not have a Concierge Level or complimentary breakfast, this benefit doesn’t apply in resorts.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Technically, this is true as breakfast is an elite benefit choice, and not straight up complimentary. It definitely could have been mentioned about the option, but I have to believe that they are not interested in sharing more information than necessary to those who may not know...
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rustykettel

They have always been very stingy with elite benefits, so it doesn’t surprise me that they are trying to do it post merger.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by joeags
Technically, this is true as breakfast is an elite benefit choice, and not straight up complimentary. It definitely could have been mentioned about the option, but I have to believe that they are not interested in sharing more information than necessary to those who may not know...
Yes, I suppose the wording from the Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa that @rustykettel posted is technically correct — but only in a completely misleading way.

If the Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa does not offer the published Platinum Elite Welcome Gift options at check-in, as defined in the Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions, then the Platinum Elite guest is entitled to U.S. $100 "Guest Compensation" — and is still entitled to choose from the published options.

For five brands, "JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels," — for "RESORTS only" — in "Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, Middle East, and Africa," the "Platinum Elite Welcome Gift" options are one of the following:

— "1,000 Points per Stay"
— "F&B amenity per Stay"
— "breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1"

The Platinum Elite member decides which option, not the hotel.

Originally Posted by danola
They have always been very stingy with elite benefits, so it doesn’t surprise me that they are trying to do it post merger.
It's going to cost the Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa more if there have to pay U.S. $100 compensation regularly.
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.