Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Isn't everything already explained in the master thread that's been floating on the first page for awhile now?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...explained.html

From its wiki, pertaining to FP properties: "Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it)."
At the Bellevue Westin, I was told that free breakfast for Plat was for ONE person only. This was on August 23rd.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by pokee
At the Bellevue Westin, I was told that free breakfast for Plat was for ONE person only. This was on August 23rd.
Shame on the Bellevue Westin for not training its employees correctly. (I assume you had a second guest in your room.)

It's too late now, but you should have insisted on USD $100 compensation. That's the only way that the hotel's GM will get the message.

Bring up Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions and scroll down to "4.3.c. Platinum Elite Membership Benefits." There's table under "iii. Platinum Elite Welcome Gift." Here's what it shows for St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin, Tribute Portfolio.

At check-in, Platinum Elite members have the choice of one of three Welcome Gift options:

— "1,000 Points per Stay"
— "Amenity per Stay"
— "Breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1 (including Resorts)"

If the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift is not offered at time of arrival, USD $100 compensation applies.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:07 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Horace
Was it the Element by Westin Bali Ubud in Indonesia?

That property shows "Buffet breakfast, fee from 181500.00 IDR" at its official website: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...tin-bali-ubud/

I don't know how this property gets a away with it. Starwood should not have allowed it, and Marriott should not allow it.

Complimentary breakfast is a brand standaed for Element: https://element-hotels.marriott.com/...ealthy-eating/
Yes, this is at the element ubud. I called marriott after getting told this by FD during Check-in. Marriott confirmed it. However this thread's wiki says otherwise.

So I'm not sure which is correct. Maybe someone can enlighten me before i send an angry email to Marriott, i challenged for SPG plat and they give me this watered down thingy. Really goes against their promises. Not what I signed up for, they are making IHG spire look good.

Will be checking into the StR Bali tomrrow, god help me.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by jedicat666
Yes, this is at the element ubud. I called marriott after getting told this by FD during Check-in. Marriott confirmed it. However this thread's wiki says otherwise.

So I'm not sure which is correct. Maybe someone can enlighten me before i send an angry email to Marriott, i challenged for SPG plat and they give me this watered down thingy. Really goes against their promises. Not what I signed up for, they are making IHG spire look good.

Will be checking into the StR Bali tomrrow, god help me.
It's correct that "Breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1 (including Resorts)" is NOT a Platinum Elite benefit at the Element brand.

But that's because "complimentary Rise breakfast of whole fruit, nourishing granola, and something hot from the kitchen" is a brand standard for ALL guests at the Element brand.

However, Element by Westin Bali Ubud does not follow this brand standard.

In other words, the issue is not failure to honor Elite benefits; it's failure to follow brand standards.

I would recommend complaining to Marriott about your experience at a hotel that failed to follow a significant standard of the brand.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:01 am

Shame on the Bellevue Westin for not training its employees correctly. (I assume you had a second guest in your room.)

It's too late now, but you should have insisted on USD $100 compensation. That's the only way that the hotel's GM will get the message.

Bring up Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions and scroll down to "4.3.c. Platinum Elite Membership Benefits." There's table under "iii. Platinum Elite Welcome Gift." Here's what it shows for St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin, Tribute Portfolio.

At check-in, Platinum Elite members have the choice of one of three Welcome Gift options:

— "Amenity per Stay"

If the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift is not offered at time of arrival, USD $100 compensation applies.
I did call the hotel, and they said it was a "learning curve" and apologized - that's all I got. They did assure me they would follow-up with this, but nothing was offered to me in the way of compensation.

They said they did credit the 1000 points, but I still haven't seen them on my account. I'll likely have to call SPG at some point, but it's not going to be anytime soon, especially with the increased volume because of hurricane Florence approaching.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:12 am

I did call the hotel, and they said it was a "learning curve" and apologized - that's all I got. They did assure me they would follow-up with this, but nothing was offered to me in the way of compensation.

They said they did credit the 1000 points, but I still haven't seen them on my account. I'll likely have to call SPG at some point, but it's not going to be anytime soon, especially with the increased volume because of hurricane Florence approaching.
Did you choose daily breakfast in the restaurant as your Platinum Elite welcome gift? If so, you would not also be entitled to the 1000 points at a Westin.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:30 am

Did you choose daily breakfast in the restaurant as your Platinum Elite welcome gift? If so, you would not also be entitled to the 1000 points at a Westin.
I chose the points, but they still haven't showed up in my account, even though the hotel did post the points. My stay is credited on my account, so it's weird the points are still missing 3 weeks later. Guessing it's still systems issues?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

— "Amenity per Stay"

Is there a downloadable PDF file available somewhere? I cannot find it on the site.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Is there a downloadable PDF file available somewhere? I cannot find it on the site.
I'm not aware of a PDF version online, but you can make your own.

Click on Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions.

Save as PDF, or print to PDF.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good suggestion! Thanks a lot. Haven't thought about that. Just did it. Would get this to the iPad as an iBook so it can be viewed much easier should it be needed!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:22 pm

Thanks for posting this - it will really help when making decisions on where to stay in the future.

To confirm - am I assuming right that Courtyards, Moxy and AC in the US/Canada get $20 per day for 2 people when they say this: $10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest, daily

If so - that's a smokin' deal compared to a lot of the other (non-breakfast included) hotels that only have the blanket $10 F&B credit (like Marriott, Delta, Autograph and Reinassiance)! Turns out that the resorts now have the better breakfast option for Plats!!!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:09 pm

Thanks for posting this - it will really help when making decisions on where to stay in the future.

To confirm - am I assuming right that Courtyards, Moxy and AC in the US/Canada get $20 per day for 2 people when they say this: $10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest, daily
Yes — $20 per day if there are two guests staying in the room and one of them is at Platinum Elite level or higher.

The F&B credit is technically not a breakfast benefit, although it can be applied to breakfast. It can also be applied at other times, such as at the bar the evening before.

My understanding is that the credits are per night, and cannot be accumulated or combined across nights. In other words, a couple staying 3 nights at a Courtyard cannot use the credits for $60 in foods and beverages at The Bistro one evening.

I have not stayed at a Courtyard, AC Hotels, or Moxy since August 18, so I don't have firsthand experience with this.

If so - that's a smokin' deal compared to a lot of the other (non-breakfast included) hotels that only have the blanket $10 F&B credit (like Marriott, Delta, Autograph and Reinassiance)! Turns out that the resorts now have the better breakfast option for Plats!!!
Non-resort properties under the Marriott Hotels, Renaissance, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, and Delta Hotels brands are not "non-breakfast included."

These brands do provide breakfast to the Platinum Elite member + 1 as a benefit, but it's through the lounge/breakfast benefit, not through the Welcome Gift benefit. This lounge/breakfast benefit is in addition to the Welcome Gift, so the Platinum Elite member can also choose one gift per stay, such as 1000 points or a $10 F&B credit.

If the lounge is open, then it's lounge access for the Platinum Elite member + 1. The lounge can be called a Concierge Lounge, M Club Lounge, Executive Lounge, Club Lounge, or whatever. The quality and selection of the breakfast spread varies by brand, geography, and individual property.

If the property doesn't have a lounge, or if the lounge is closed (as is often the case on weekend and holiday mornings), then the benefit provides a restaurant breakfast for the Platinum Elite member + 1 as the alternative.

Yes, the Platinum Elite breakfast benefit is complicated — especially how it's explained in the Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions. Check the Wiki at the top of this thread for my simple summary. With more than 6700 properties, there are some exceptions, as @jedicat666 has noted, but I think my summary is good place to start.

Last edited by Horace; Sep 13, 2018 at 3:42 pm
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.

— "Amenity per Stay"

so does the same now apply to native spg properties?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by etsmyers

so does the same now apply to native spg properties?
Yes.

The answers to this and many other questions are in the Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions. The compensation is shown in a table under "iii. Platinum Elite Welcome Gift" in the section, "4.3.c. Platinum Elite Membership Benefits." Look for St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin, Tribute Portfolio.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I have not stayed at a Courtyard, AC Hotels, or Moxy since August 18, so I don't have firsthand experience with this.
Just as an FYI, I stayed 2 nights at the Courtyard by Marriott in Hong Kong last week. The property has both a Lounge and a restaurant. In lieu of the 500 point welcome gift I had daily breakfast in MoMo Cafe, buffet style with live cooked to order stations. The usual price is $23 USD per person per day.

I didn't have a +1 this time but still thought the $46, 2 day savings for 500 points was an exceptional deal.

James
Horace likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.