Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Le Meridien breakfast for multiple rooms

Staying at Le Meridien Barcelona in two rooms and three adults total. One Lifetime Platinum Premier guest. Will breakfast at the restaurant be for two adults only or for all three since two rooms booked for Lifetime Platinum Premier guest? Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by asnovici
Staying at Le Meridien Barcelona in two rooms and three adults total. One Lifetime Platinum Premier guest. Will breakfast at the restaurant be for two adults only or for all three since two rooms booked for Lifetime Platinum Premier guest? Thanks
This is not specific to Le Méridien Barcelona, but the published benefit for Le Méridien is daily breakfast for member + 1, if a Platinum member picks that as his or her a welcome gift.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Marriott15

Also be nice to know about Breakfast. Charleston South Carolina on Saturday and Sunday mornings gave the Platinum Elite Members Continental breakfast in the restaurant which was really good! I wish they could post something like that on the website! To me that is a huge selling pont!
Which property? You only mention city.

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
why 1000 MR points?

Why (only) 1000 MR points?
SPG used to provide 500 SPG = 1500 MR. I thought Marriott said no rollbacks?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
If you're referring to the 20 excluded Marriott legacy properties, they have always been 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast on the weekends.

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Are you asking about the Platinum welcome gift? Or about the weekend breakfast alternative (at 20 Marriott legacy properties)?

Before August 18, the Rewards program's Platinum welcome gift option was 500 points, and the SPG program's Platinum welcome gift option was 500 Starpoints (equivalent to 1500 points).

Now they're both set at 1000 points. There are a lot of inconsistencies across brands, but there is some consistency here.

I would think that most Platinum guests at the SPG legacy properties will pick daily breakfast as their welcome gift, instead of points, unless it's a something like a Sheraton with a good lounge.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Which property? You only mention city.

Cheers.
Charleston Marriott
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:40 am

Courtyard $10 a joke

First , if it was a single $10 voucher, why even have the +1? Just say you get $10 - which of course an equivalent meal to HGI would be $20 per person.

If in fact the wording is $10 per person always book 2 people in the room.

Is anyone really happy with the Bistro concept anyhow? Today the one in Winchester ran out of several items. As an old Marriott HQ employee, I preferred the old restaurants. It was so much better to meet clients or interview potential hires. HGI is winning the battle.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Amenity?

What is the Amenity which is referred to in this chart?

http://members.marriott.com/faq/#is-...-elite-members

Hopefully not the bowl of fruit that I often find in my room.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:06 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I know, that a number of Courtyards offer breakfast to former Marriott Rewards Platinums to a discounted rate, e.g. the CY Düsseldorf Seestern for 12 EUR instead of (afaik) 18 EUR. They were not sure, how to proceed with this in regard to the new F&B credit. It would be beneficial, if the New Marriott could streamline this amenity a littel bit. It does not make much sense - at least to me - if there is a difference between a Four Points or aloft and a Courtyard or Moxy. But this might be just me
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Just a follow-up to my Four Points experience above (when I was told one breakfast for one day of a multiple day visit):

I managed to get all the breakfasts I needed and so on check out advised the somewhat clueless front desk types that the issue was their breakfast vouchers were only good for one breakfast but that the benefit that a Plat was entitled to was for breakfast every day'; further, I let them know that another guest confronted with this might try to get $50 out of Marriott, but in the spirit of this was the first week and I had had all the breakfasts I needed I did not try to get the money myself, but they should try to make sure this did not happen again.
Horace and unclepants like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:46 am

Wife stayed at the Orlando Marriott Downtown with an M-Lounge and she said the breakfast was tiny and a cutback from previous stays.

When she said something to the front desk, the agent said that the new program stripped down the breakfast offerings, she is not sure if that is actually the truth or just the franchisee using the intergration as a way to save some change.

She filed a complaint and hopefully if it is just a local issue, it will be corrected, if it is in fact accurate that Marriott ordered the lounge breakfast to be cutback, than tisk tisk.

She also had a few other issues with the hotel in general, including issues checking in and room assignment (they assigned her a dirty room which had not had housekeeping service yet).
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:54 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kmersh
Wife stayed at the Orlando Marriott Downtown with an M-Lounge and she said the breakfast was tiny and a cutback from previous stays.
It would help if you also put your wife's stay info in the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-downtown.html thread as that will definitely help others who might be thinking about staying there.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by kmersh

When she said something to the front desk, the agent said that the new program stripped down the breakfast offerings, she is not sure if that is actually the truth or just the franchisee using the intergration as a way to save some change.
My money is on the latter. Often when a property cuts back they blame it on Marriott HQ. There was a thread recently in the MAR forum re: a location cutting back & saying all UK MARs were going to do so based on MAR directive, except it wasn't true.

Cheers.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
There was a thread recently in the MAR forum re: a location cutting back & saying all UK MARs were going to do so based on MAR directive, except it wasn't true.
There are a couple of Marriott portfolio hotels in the United Kingdom -- the Marriott London County Hall and Renaissance Heathrow -- that are playing games, either with Marriott's permission as part of a trial or as a way to circumvent the rules, by cutting back offerings in the lounge or requiring you to place an "order" with an attendant to minimize the amount of complimentary food a customer can consume on a visit. By the same token, many properties with M Club lounges seem to be up-selling customers toward room service or restaurant menus.
Wembleygal likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.