Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
Delta* (excluding resorts)
JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
Marriott (excluding resorts)
Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

Aloft
Autograph Collection (resorts only)
Delta (resorts only)
Four Points
The Luxury Collection
JW Marriott (resorts only)
Le Mridien
Marriott (resorts only)
Protea
Renaissance (resorts only)
St. Regis
Sheraton **
Tribute Portfolio
W Hotels
Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

Le Mridien (only at locations with a lounge)
Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

AC Hotels
Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

Element ****
Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
SpringHill Suites
TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

Design Hotels
Edition
Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
Gaylord Hotels
Marriott Executive Apartments
Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Boston Marriott Copley Place

Boston Marriott Long Wharf

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

JW Marriott Essex House New York City

JW Marriott New Orleans

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

JW Marriott Washington, DC

The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

Monterey Marriott

New York Marriott Marquis

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by yyzflyer
The $10 certificate at Canadian Courtyards is $10CAD or currently $7.52USD. It has been that way at every Courtyard in Canada that I've stayed at since this aspect of the program was started, including one of those mentioned directly above. That ship has sailed. I've never stayed at a Canadian Courtyard longer than 1 day, so have never had the stay vs. day argument. The extra coupon for my wife sometimes requires discussion, but that's true in the US too. Having said that, my last two Courtyard stays have gotten it 100% right.
T&Cs clearly state its US$10 to be converted into local currency. You should be collecting $50 (US) too!
OMCA likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
Originally Posted by margarita girl
T&Cs clearly state it’s US$10 to be converted into local currency. You should be collecting $50 (US) too!
Actually, the $50 is converted to local currency, interestingly:

"*Outside of the U.S. compensation will be paid in the local currency"
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I stayed in two different CYs last week. Neither one had vouchers, but said they would deduct $20 per day for F&B.

First CY did exactly that on the final bill with a separate $20 credit on the bill.

Second CY deducted nothing at all on the final bill from the $70 daily breakfast for two, but as I was about to bring that up at the desk noticed that they didn't charge for parking. So a wash it seems.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
So the chat agent came back and said sorry for the inconvenience...we've added two vouchers for you and your guest. You can come and collect them from the front desk.

I think I was too obvious in my original message. I quoted the T&Cs and said, so...does your property follow the T&Cs? Because the front desk agent this morning was unequivocal that it's $10 per night, not per person per night. Perhaps I was too outward trying to set the hook.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OMCA
So the chat agent came back and said sorry for the inconvenience...we've added two vouchers for you and your guest. You can come and collect them from the front desk.

I think I was too obvious in my original message. I quoted the T&Cs and said, so...does your property follow the T&Cs? Because the front desk agent this morning was unequivocal that it's $10 per night, not per person per night. Perhaps I was too outward trying to set the hook.
You showed your hand. Dont try to play poker. LOL
OMCA likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
I stayed in two different CYs last week. Neither one had vouchers, but said they would deduct $20 per day for F&B.

First CY did exactly that on the final bill with a separate $20 credit on the bill.

Second CY deducted nothing at all on the final bill from the $70 daily breakfast for two, but as I was about to bring that up at the desk noticed that they didn't charge for parking. So a wash it seems.
haha, wait until they charge your card retroactively for the parking
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by margarita girl
T&Cs clearly state its US$10 to be converted into local currency. You should be collecting $50 (US) too!
They used small printed cards that just say $10. Not exactly a binding legal document, and the new system of making the credit electronic (i.e. nothing in writing) will just confuse the issue even more. I'm more curious which Courtyards in Canada actually do provide ~$13CAD.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Just checked into a US Sheraton for a multi month stay.
I was told that the lounge is only open in the evenings and no breakfast currently in lounge.
Also lounge is closed weekends.
Should I be entitled to breakfast in restaurant with the lounge currently closed for breakfast? If the lounge reopens for breakfast would I be entitled to breakfast in restaurant on weekends when lounge is closed?
It looks like they sticky says I can choose restaurant breakfast as amenity which would be the obvious choice over 1000 points for 100 night stay. The FD agent made it sound like that wasnt an option.
Currently a titanium.

Per the sticky for Sheraton
3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by stallion114
I was told that the lounge is only open in the evenings and no breakfast currently in lounge.
Also lounge is closed weekends.
Should I be entitled to breakfast in restaurant with the lounge currently closed for breakfast? If the lounge reopens for breakfast would I be entitled to breakfast in restaurant on weekends when lounge is closed?
It looks like they sticky says I can choose restaurant breakfast as amenity which would be the obvious choice over 1000 points for 100 night stay. The FD agent made it sound like that wasnt an option.
Currently a titanium.

Per the sticky for Sheraton
until September, properties appears to be able to do whatever heck they want since Marriott supposedly issued a suspension of elite benefits and well documented in another thread.

for a multi month stay I would think you would have negotiated something into your rate regardless of elite status.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by stallion114
So use this to your advantage and work this with the hotel's management. You're putting $$$ into their pocket by being a multi-month stay guest. Negotiate the needed benefit(s).

David
Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist , Bonvoy Titanium United Silver AA Platinum, AS Gold 75K
Does Delta have a mandate requiring hotels to not honor a breakfast benefit for Titanium members? Last time I stayed at Delta they were very generous and this time they are offering pastry and coffee only and are uncompromising about it even with allergies or prefrences. Seems as if maybe similar to the speculations around Westin.

Last edited by applejax; Dec 9, 2020 at 8:04 am
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is there a reader's digest version?
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The Four Points Las Vegas East Flamingo normally offers free breakfast to all guests. This week, they offered delicious complimentary grab-and-go choices from the pantry, normally items one would pay for.

I picked:
150 g. (5.3 oz.) vanilla Oikos Greek yogurt
125 mL (4.2 fl. oz.) OceanSpray 100% orange juice

My wife picked:
One sliced bagel
70 calorie pouch of Philadelphia cream cheese
Same little box of orange juice.

However, we came prepared, bringing our own toaster and supplies. We made toast in the bathroom with the exhaust fan on, to avoid smoke alarm issues.

So we enjoyed toast, with almond butter and raspberry jam, and a can of pineapple chunks. Also, our own preferred brands of instant coffee and chocolate.

Thus, all-in-all, a delicious repast up in our room.

Bonvy!
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by applejax
Does Delta have a mandate requiring hotels to not honor a breakfast benefit for Titanium members? Last time I stayed at Delta they were very generous and this time they are offering pastry and coffee only and are uncompromising about it even with allergies or prefrences. Seems as if maybe similar to the speculations around Westin.
The issue is that Marriott has suspended elite benefit guarantees. So properties (any brand) can do anything they want - from nothing to the full published benefit.
applejax likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by applejax
I think hotels can do whatever they want during the pandemic as Marriott has suspended all guaranteed benefits. That being said, I had complimentary full restaurant breakfast at the Delta Quebec City and Delta Victoria in Canada this summer.
applejax likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.