Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
Delta* (excluding resorts)
JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
Marriott (excluding resorts)
Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

Aloft
Autograph Collection (resorts only)
Delta (resorts only)
Four Points
The Luxury Collection
JW Marriott (resorts only)
Le Mridien
Marriott (resorts only)
Protea
Renaissance (resorts only)
St. Regis
Sheraton **
Tribute Portfolio
W Hotels
Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

Le Mridien (only at locations with a lounge)
Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

AC Hotels
Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

Element ****
Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
SpringHill Suites
TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

Design Hotels
Edition
Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
Gaylord Hotels
Marriott Executive Apartments
Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Boston Marriott Copley Place

Boston Marriott Long Wharf

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

JW Marriott Essex House New York City

JW Marriott New Orleans

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

JW Marriott Washington, DC

The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

Monterey Marriott

New York Marriott Marquis

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: AS 75K
One of the Marriotts I stay at regularly decided to continue giving us lowly Gold Elites full lounge access (breakfast & evening cocktails) even after the benefit changed.

I'd love to stay at other properties that do the same. Is there a list/thread somewhere?

Shuttle (GE plebe)
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by shuttlerider
One of the Marriotts I stay at regularly decided to continue giving us lowly Gold Elites full lounge access (breakfast & evening cocktails) even after the benefit changed.

I'd love to stay at other properties that do the same. Is there a list/thread somewhere?

Shuttle (GE plebe)
Most of the time, if you're upgraded to a room on a club floor, lounge access is included. This was an old SPG rule, but it's YMMV now. Some hotels might be willing to sell you a club level upgrade for a modest amount of money or points, or you could decide when booking that the price difference (in money or points) makes doing this worthwhile.

Otherwise I would expect this to be more likely at legacy Marriott properties than legacy Starwoods, where Golds weren't entitled to lounge access.
shuttlerider likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Most of the time, if you're upgraded to a room on a club floor, lounge access is included. This was an old SPG rule, but it's YMMV now. Some hotels might be willing to sell you a club level upgrade for a modest amount of money or points, or you could decide when booking that the price difference (in money or points) makes doing this worthwhile.

Otherwise I would expect this to be more likely at legacy Marriott properties than legacy Starwoods, where Golds weren't entitled to lounge access.
Yup, it's a legacy Marriott in Calgary. They do it for GEs regardless of the room category you're in.
It's so appreciated and it's why I go back there every time.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:54 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shuttlerider
I'd suggest posting your experience in the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...worldwide.html thread. There is already a long list of hotels and how they run their lounges. Adding a "G" or something to show Golds still get lounge access shouldn't be too radical a change.
shuttlerider likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
Here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi The page most customers will see, and think they only get $10 F&B.

Sort of like when Elite Late Checkout was rolled out with the weasley wording "as late as 4pm" that managers would use to deny guests late checkout after 12:30. No payout at all for rogue managers denying that "guarantee".

So the T&C says:
"....Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design HotelsTM, where it is based upon availability"

I just got Plat yesterday so am not 100% up on benefits, but this seems clear that we can request and it is guaranteed with the specified exceptions. Is there a large number of cases where 4pm is requested and denied, AND the property refuses on site to pay up per the Elite Benefit Guarantee? When it says I "may" checkout as late as 4p, I read it that it is up to me, and I have a guarantee of 4pm at my discretion.

Secondly, is it clear how a "resort" or "convention center" is identified? Literally half of the hotels in major cities glom on a "destination" or other fee. Is the resort definition clearly stated somewhere? This was my original, in topic question.

I am sure some may shake their head at my naivete, but hard not to read the terms in this manner.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by xooz
Is there a large number of cases where 4pm is requested and denied, AND the property refuses on site to pay up per the Elite Benefit Guarantee? When it says I "may" checkout as late as 4p, I read it that it is up to me, and I have a guarantee of 4pm at my discretion. Secondly, is it clear how a "resort" or "convention center" is identified? Literally half of the hotels in major cities glom on a "destination" or other fee. Is the resort definition clearly stated somewhere? This was my original, in topic question.
I don't know the number of overall late check out refusals, but I've been denied enough times that after the first refusal I just ask for the hotel GM who usually mumbles something about the "new" FD person not knowing. There is no monetary or point payout to the guest if the late checkout guarantee is refused. The joke is on us.

bonvOY convention hotels and resorts can be found here.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
So the T&C says:
"....Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design HotelsTM, where it is based upon availability"

I just got Plat yesterday so am not 100% up on benefits, but this seems clear that we can request and it is guaranteed with the specified exceptions. Is there a large number of cases where 4pm is requested and denied, AND the property refuses on site to pay up per the Elite Benefit Guarantee? When it says I "may" checkout as late as 4p, I read it that it is up to me, and I have a guarantee of 4pm at my discretion.

Secondly, is it clear how a "resort" or "convention center" is identified? Literally half of the hotels in major cities glom on a "destination" or other fee. Is the resort definition clearly stated somewhere? This was my original, in topic question.

I am sure some may shake their head at my naivete, but hard not to read the terms in this manner.
Your interpretive license on this particular T&C is no different than that used by hotels to deny the benefit. As has been suggested previously in the thread devoted to 4pm Check-out, it seems to have been written to confuse and permit different interpretations. As a longtime Plat - now Titanium, I can honestly say the number of times my request for 4pm check-out has been fully met is greatly outpaced by the number of times it was denied or partially met. While here are those who will claim 100% success, I find the earlier post by Tanic "Sort of like when Elite Late Checkout was rolled out with the weasley wording "as late as 4pm" that managers would use to deny guests late checkout after 12:30." to be a pretty accurate statement. As with everything in this program, YMMV.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:04 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
A reminder that this is the "elite breakfast offering" discussion thread. There is a dedicated thread for discussing the late check-out benefit: 4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion) which should be used for discussions around that topic.

Thanks.

Chip
hhoope01 - Marriott Bonvoy Co-Moderator
dgreen12, margarita girl and ryw like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:08 am

Thanks all, Guess I will gird my loins for a year of battling. Now that I am old and retired I find myself being "that guy" more.

And my on topic question was on the gray area of resorts whose breakfast options are different and if hotels charging destination fees are "resorts". Looks like no.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
And my on topic question was on the gray area of resorts whose breakfast options are different and if hotels charging destination fees are "resorts". Looks like no.
Yes, there are five Marriott brands that treat resorts and hotels differently when it comes to breakfast. It's easy to tell if a property is a resort or a hotel. For example...

Click on Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa, which is a resort.

The top line is "Marriott.com / Marriott Hotels & Resorts / Fort Lauderdale / Resort."

At resorts, daily breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1 is an arrival gift choice for Platinum Elite and higher.

Then click on Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, which is a hotel.

The top line is "Marriott.com / Marriott Hotels & Resorts / Fort Lauderdale / Hotel."

At hotels, daily breakfast in the lounge (or the restaurant if there is no lounge or it's closed) for member + 1 is provided in addition to an arrival gift for Platinum Elite and higher.

However, a mandatory destination fee does not automatically make a property into resort. It only means the property engages in a slimy business practice.
dgreen12, margarita girl and ryw like this.

Last edited by Horace; Dec 30, 2019 at 6:53 pm
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
Yes, there are five Marriott brands that treat resorts and hotels differently when it comes to breakfast. It's easy to tell if a property is a resort or a hotel. For example...

Click on Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa, which is a resort.

The top line is "Marriott.com / Marriott Hotels & Resorts / Fort Lauderdale / Resort."

At resorts, daily breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1 is an arrival gift choice for Platinum Elite and higher.

Then click on Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, which is a hotel.

The top line is "Marriott.com / Marriott Hotels & Resorts / Fort Lauderdale / Hotel."

At hotels, daily breakfast in the lounge (or the restaurant if there is no lounge or it's closed) for member + 1 is provided in addition to an arrival gift for Platinum Elite and higher.

However, a mandatory destination fee does not automatically make a property into resort. It only means the property engages in a slimy business practice.
Well done! Thanks for the insight!!
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:35 pm

Westin Breakfasts Now Continental Only?

I just checked into the Westin La Paloma in Tucson and they are telling me the as of January 1 Marriott has downgraded the breakfast as a welcome amenity to a Continental breakfast. I asked if this was a change for just this hotel and they said no.

This is the first I've heard of this. Since I don't see any changes to the the Bonvoy terms and conditions I'm not clear how this could be the case. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbedelman
I just checked into the Westin La Paloma in Tucson and they are telling me the as of January 1 Marriott has downgraded the breakfast as a welcome amenity
Agent making stuff up.

You've been bonvoyed!

(Note though, that unlike Hyatt, Marriott has never specified exactly what the breakfast must include. Many properties have limited it to continental.)
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by sbedelman
I just checked into the Westin La Paloma in Tucson and they are telling me the as of January 1 Marriott has downgraded the breakfast as a welcome amenity to a Continental breakfast. I asked if this was a change for just this hotel and they said no.

This is the first I've heard of this. Since I don't see any changes to the the Bonvoy terms and conditions I'm not clear how this could be the case. Does anyone know anything about this?
This was the exact message I received at the Westin Nova Scotian in November. They had already started this when I stayed and it was in writing on the vouchers they issued at check-in. They told us that "Marriott brass" were due there in the next few days to "see how it was working" before rolling it out system-wide.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agent making stuff up.

You've been bonvoyed!

(Note though, that unlike Hyatt, Marriott has never specified exactly what the breakfast must include. Many properties have limited it to continental.)
But they are making a distinction because the terms and conditions state that some properties include "continental breakfast" while others provide "breakfast."

Last edited by sbedelman; Jan 9, 2020 at 6:36 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.