Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
Delta* (excluding resorts)
JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
Marriott (excluding resorts)
Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

Aloft
Autograph Collection (resorts only)
Delta (resorts only)
Four Points
The Luxury Collection
JW Marriott (resorts only)
Le Mridien
Marriott (resorts only)
Protea
Renaissance (resorts only)
St. Regis
Sheraton **
Tribute Portfolio
W Hotels
Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

Le Mridien (only at locations with a lounge)
Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

AC Hotels
Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

Element ****
Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
SpringHill Suites
TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

Design Hotels
Edition
Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
Gaylord Hotels
Marriott Executive Apartments
Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Boston Marriott Copley Place

Boston Marriott Long Wharf

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

JW Marriott Essex House New York City

JW Marriott New Orleans

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

JW Marriott Washington, DC

The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

Monterey Marriott

New York Marriott Marquis

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by clin9383
Stayed at Courtyard Richardson last night and was told I get $10 per person (wife and I) at check in. In the morning the check in attendant said I only get $10 for the "member". Very confusing as each person I asked said something different. In the end I only got $10 for myself and paid for wife's portion. No big deal but they need to straighten this out and make it clear. Will be letting them know my displeasure with the confusion.
I stayed at CY Richardson pre-merger and didn't get any of that breakfast dispute nonsense. Actually it was one of my best CY stays. Marriott created this problem with different and conflicting language in the Elite Guarantee splash page (only $10 F&B credit per day) and the bonvOY T&C ($10 F&B credit per member + 1 = $20).

Fast forward two years and it is now a battle at many Marriott bonvOY hotels to get the correct breakfast credit. I stayed at a HIX last week and thoroughly enjoyed their outstanding breakfast spread that was just included. They got my business because the Marriott down the street had a "hot breakfast surcharge."
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:21 am
Suspended

Stayed at Courtyard Richardson last night and was told I get $10 per person (wife and I) at check in. In the morning the check in attendant said I only get $10 for the "member". Very confusing as each person I asked said something different. In the end I only got $10 for myself and paid for wife's portion. No big deal but they need to straighten this out and make it clear. Will be letting them know my displeasure with the confusion.
It is $10 per person. You should ask Marriott for a reimbursmenent.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
We need to start a list of Courtyards (mostly) that are doing this. Sometimes they can't even get it straight within the property, with managers refusing to overrule an errant employee.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by icanneverflyenough
It is $10 per person. You should ask Marriott for a reimbursmenent.
OP should invoke the Guaranty and claim his $50.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
OP should invoke the Guaranty and claim his $50.
Except the "guarantee" is only if you don't get $10 F&B per day, which is what the guest received. Nice job Arne's lawyer.

Old Nov 28, 2019, 12:03 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Tanic
Except the "guarantee" is only if you don't get $10 F&B per day, which is what the guest received. Nice job Arne's lawyer.

Interesting - where is this table from? The one that I'm familiar with comes from the T&C, which has an asterisk next to the $10 F&B per, which leads to a message that says:

** The U.S. $10 F&B credit per day is for the Member. An additional U.S. $10 F&B credit per day is given for one (1) guest staying in the same guestroom as the Member. The U.S. $10 credit per day does not accrue during the stay. For example, a Member who does not use the $10 credit on one day does not get $20 to use the following day.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tanic

The actual T&C (quoted by ryw) control. It's $10 for member plus one.

The challenge of course is enforcing it, given that renegade properties apparently face no consequences at all.

But I would probably insist on seeing the manager and burn them on T/A if they didn't adhere to the Guaranty.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by ryw
Interesting - where is this table from?
Here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi The page most customers will see, and think they only get $10 F&B.

Originally Posted by Kacee
The challenge of course is enforcing it, given that renegade properties apparently face no consequences at all.
Sort of like when Elite Late Checkout was rolled out with the weasley wording "as late as 4pm" that managers would use to deny guests late checkout after 12:30. No payout at all for rogue managers denying that "guarantee".
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Moxy London Stratford just informed me of an upcoming change in policy that the $10 credit will no longer be able to be used against breakfast, only other food and drinks in the bar.

Although this sounds like nonsense, I cant see anything on the website or in the T&Cs quoted above that actually prevents a hotel doing this. Is that right?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:06 pm

Next it will be Welcome Drink redeemable only in the garage
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by ao40
Moxy London Stratford just informed me of an “upcoming change in policy” that the $10 credit will no longer be able to be used against breakfast, only other food and drinks in the bar.
Lurkers: please look into this report of a Moxy denying usage of the $10 per person +1 food and beverage credit for breakfast.
dgreen12, Tanic and AKC6 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
That isn't the first time folk have said that though, perhaps they are now making it universal rather than hap-hazard depending on which property you visit?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
no Gaylord breakfast

As shown in the T&C, no breakfast at Gaylords. No plans to add, per several agents.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ao40
Moxy London Stratford just informed me of an upcoming change in policy that the $10 credit will no longer be able to be used against breakfast, only other food and drinks in the bar.

Although this sounds like nonsense, I cant see anything on the website or in the T&Cs quoted above that actually prevents a hotel doing this. Is that right?
It sounds like nonsense because it is nonsense. It's another hotel not understanding the Terms & Conditions. There have been stories here on FlyerTalk of hotels insisting that "U.S. $10" means 10 units local currency, that "Member + 1" means both guests have to share the $10 credit, and that "does not accrue" means that one-night guests cannot use the credit toward breakfast because it would be the next day.

Per the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions, Courtyard, AC Hotels, and Moxy Hotels worldwide offer the following as one of the Elite Welcome Gift choices for Platinum Elite Members and above (except at Courtyard hotels with lounges):

U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1**

** The U.S. $10 F&B credit per day is for the Member. An additional U.S. $10 F&B credit per day is given for one (1) guest staying in the same guestroom as the Member. The U.S. $10 credit per day does not accrue during the stay. For example, a Member who does not use the $10 credit on one day does not get $20 to use the following day.

There may be legitimate cases when a hotel is in a jurisdiction that does not allow the credit to be applied to alcohol.

The U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member + 1 at three Marriott brands is one of the best improvements introduced when the Rewards and SPG programs were combined.

Last edited by Horace; Dec 9, 2019 at 12:14 pm
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by AKC6
As shown in the T&C, no breakfast at Gaylords. No plans to add, per several agents.
It's not just Gaylord.

Complimentary daily breakfast for Platinum Elite and higher is not a provided at any of these Marriott Bonvoy brands:

Design Hotels
Edition
Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
Gaylord Hotels
Marriott Executive Apartments / ExecuStay
Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

I would not expect any changes in the foreseeable future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.