Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
Delta* (excluding resorts)
JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
Marriott (excluding resorts)
Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

Aloft
Autograph Collection (resorts only)
Delta (resorts only)
Four Points
The Luxury Collection
JW Marriott (resorts only)
Le Mridien
Marriott (resorts only)
Protea
Renaissance (resorts only)
St. Regis
Sheraton **
Tribute Portfolio
W Hotels
Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

Le Mridien (only at locations with a lounge)
Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

AC Hotels
Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

Element ****
Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
SpringHill Suites
TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

Design Hotels
Edition
Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
Gaylord Hotels
Marriott Executive Apartments
Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Boston Marriott Copley Place

Boston Marriott Long Wharf

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

JW Marriott Essex House New York City

JW Marriott New Orleans

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

JW Marriott Washington, DC

The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

Monterey Marriott

New York Marriott Marquis

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Complicated benefit. I won't be surprised if even the staff don't even know what benefit should be offered.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by margarita girl
He asked about breakfast at check in. They said they dont have a restaurant so pointed him to IHOP and Applebees. No mention was made of the $10X4 F&B option
Well that's interesting. The bonvOY website shows a nice breakfast buffet in the IHOP which is inside the hotel. See picture 21 of 41. Sure looks like they do have a restaurant.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Tanic
Well that's interesting. The bonvOY website shows a nice breakfast buffet in the IHOP which is inside the hotel. See picture 21 of 41. Sure looks like they do have a restaurant.
But if the restaurant is not owned by Marriott, does that not exempt them from allowing you to use the F&B vouchers there?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
But if the restaurant is not owned by Marriott, does that not exempt them from allowing you to use the F&B vouchers there?
Could this be one of Arne's "innovations"? Contract out the dining facilities inside hotels and the "breakfast benefit" for Plat/Tit/Amb guests vanishes?

BTW there was a similar situation earlier this year at Le Meridien NYC: No breakfast offered at Le Mridien Central Park - Ambassador starus where the restaurant in the hotel was outsourced, but about 30 days later they started offering breakfast.

Last edited by Tanic; Nov 21, 2019 at 3:12 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
The McCormick and Schmicks inside the Westin Edina Galleria would agree with you. I requested and received breakfast coupons earlier this year, and was told when trying to redeem them that they arent accepted in the attached restaurant (M&S). Fortunately, the M&S manager called the Westin manager and they did the right thing and comped my breakfast.

The vouchers clearly said valid in the hotel restaurant. When I later asked where these were to be used if not in the restaurant, they said they could be redeemed for a continental breakfast from room service, even though there is no mention of that on the voucher itself.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
W San Francisco : Restaurant breakfast welcome gift

My experiences at the W in San Francisco suggest that this breakfast policy is as messed up as it could be.

When I checked in I was given a voucher for a free continental breakfast - the voucher said valid for date on front only, and said it had no cash or credit value.

In the restaurant art became clear that the voucher was valid for the length of my stay, and that it was worth a $15 credit towards non-continental breakfast items.

But there is no continental breakfast in their restaurant, so the voucher gets either OJ or coffee and one of four main (cold) dishes (granola, or pastry, etc).

I ordered OJ and coffee and a full breakfast - the bill was $6 + $6 + $21 + taxes, but what was charged to my room after the $15 credit was $7.75. The next day i ordered the same and the bill came back as nothing owing after the $15 credit.

I'm not unhappy with the outcome, but I do think there is something wrong when it is impossible to know what you are going to be charged from one day to the next.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by lbbzman
The McCormick and Schmicks inside the Westin Edina Galleria would agree with you. I requested and received breakfast coupons earlier this year, and was told when trying to redeem them that they arent accepted in the attached restaurant (M&S).
The Daily Grill in the Burbank Airport Marriott does not honor the $10 F&B credit vouchers given at check-in. Although we presented them when ordering and they were deducted from our bill, they were re-added after checkout. Hotel's response was "Sorry". Apparently the only "hotel restaurant" that accepts them is the bar, which is not open for breakfast.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I got more details. He asked about breakfast at check in. They said they dont have a restaurant so pointed him to IHOP and Applebees. No mention was made of the $10X4 F&B option, so I drafted a complaint letter for him. Will see what happens.

If you arent on FT, hotels can really take advantage of uninformed customers.

Looks the same arrangement with CY Toronto. The staff told me they do not have restaurant and point to the food establishment at the lobby, can't remember the brand. I told him CY Bangkok even have lounge, as it was the only CY that I stayed prior to the stay in CY Toronto. This was pre merger. So I guess this is standard practise for CY in North America.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:06 pm

Its a dog's breakfast so to speak. but at least a dog usually knows what he's getting for breakfast each day
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by lingua101
Looks the same arrangement with CY Toronto. The staff told me they do not have restaurant and point to the food establishment at the lobby, can't remember the brand. I told him CY Bangkok even have lounge, as it was the only CY that I stayed prior to the stay in CY Toronto. This was pre merger. So I guess this is standard practise for CY in North America.
Were you given the option of $10 credit to be spent in the snack shop?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Were you given the option of $10 credit to be spent in the snack shop?
Not at that time. As I said this is pre merger. I think this was even before the merger was announced.

When I mentioned about lounge in CY Bangkok, I was told CY is select service hotel
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:48 am
Suspended

Sarasota Modern, Tribute Portfolio gives you a $15 credit that doesn't cover the cost of ANYTHING on the breakfast menu with a cup of coffee, tax and tip.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by icanneverflyenough
Sarasota Modern, Tribute Portfolio gives you a $15 credit that doesn't cover the cost of ANYTHING on the breakfast menu with a cup of coffee, tax and tip.
For Tribute Portfolio and six other SPG-legacy brands, the Elite welcome gift for Platinum Elite members and above is specified as "1,000 Points per Stay or amenity per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1 (including Resorts)," according to the terms & conditions of the program.

If the Sarasota Modern, Tribute Portfolio is in violation, invoke the guarantee. "Breakfast in restaurant" should mean a breakfast similar to what other guests are eating in the restaurant, fully covered by the hotel.

It's baffling that some properties consider it good business to alienate Marriott's most loyal and frequent guests.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Horace
It's baffling that some properties consider it good business to alienate Marriott's most loyal and frequent guests.
They're just following corporate's lead.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:18 am

Stayed at Courtyard Richardson last night and was told I get $10 per person (wife and I) at check in. In the morning the check in attendant said I only get $10 for the "member". Very confusing as each person I asked said something different. In the end I only got $10 for myself and paid for wife's portion. No big deal but they need to straighten this out and make it clear. Will be letting them know my displeasure with the confusion.

Last edited by clin9383; Nov 28, 2019 at 8:19 am Reason: typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.