Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
Delta* (excluding resorts)
JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
Marriott (excluding resorts)
Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

Aloft
Autograph Collection (resorts only)
Delta (resorts only)
Four Points
The Luxury Collection
JW Marriott (resorts only)
Le Mridien
Marriott (resorts only)
Protea
Renaissance (resorts only)
St. Regis
Sheraton **
Tribute Portfolio
W Hotels
Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

Le Mridien (only at locations with a lounge)
Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

AC Hotels
Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

Element ****
Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
SpringHill Suites
TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

Design Hotels
Edition
Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
Gaylord Hotels
Marriott Executive Apartments
Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Boston Marriott Copley Place

Boston Marriott Long Wharf

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

JW Marriott Essex House New York City

JW Marriott New Orleans

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

JW Marriott Washington, DC

The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

Monterey Marriott

New York Marriott Marquis

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
I have an interesting one about the $10 credit.

Stayed at a Moxy in Europe (FRA to preempt the obsessive requests to name the property -- first time at that brand), and chose the $10 credit (converted to EUR9). Asked if I needed vouchers, no no, just get whatever you want --grab-n-go, hot "food," drinks at the bar-- and we'll deduct EUR9pp/d. Alrighty, then. At check-out wasn't given a printout, but just told the amount. I knew my rate was EUR160-something, and the FD agent quoted EUR172-ish, which sounded ok given a local occupancy tax of EUR2pp/d. I reminded her of the EUR9 credits and she did some typing, then swiped my credit card. Grabbed the printout, rushed to the train. Not checking it on the spot was a mistake, I know. Turns out because I checked out alone, the agent took off one EUR9 credit that had already been posted, and ended up charging me EUR180-ish (without mentioning that it's more than the EUR172 she initially mentioned). Moreover, I found out that they don't deduct a flat EUR9, but rather the credit applies to a single transaction only -- a EUR7.50 purchase was taken off, but a not part of an EUR3 transaction. Of course this wasn't mentioned when I checked in.

The amounts are minimal and it's partially my fault for not requiring and checking a printout before handing over my CC, but I thought increasing the rate read out at check-out is just shady. So I emailed to ask to have the bill corrected, and the hotel now asks me to prove that I had a +1.

Anyway, I learned to, on my thankfully very rare stays at one of the $10 discount brands, to specifically ask at check-in how the credit is applied (single transaction?), and at check-out demand a printout and check it closely. Oh, and I'll make an effort to book away from these brands whenever at all possible.
And were you by yourself or with a +1? In Germany, as with most European countries, all guests staying in the room have to be checked-in with ID details. Its the law. So the hotel shouldve had the other guests details already on file. No need to ask for proof.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
It was clearly explained to me at check-in when I stayed at a Courtyard not long after the $10 credit to scheme was introduced: "For multiple night stays, credit does not roll over. You must use it on the same day, and a single transaction - don't buy something like a single candy bar as you will immediately forfeit the rest of your $10."
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
It was clearly explained to me at check-in when I stayed at a Courtyard not long after the $10 credit to scheme was introduced: "For multiple night stays, credit does not roll over. You must use it on the same day, and a single transaction - don't buy something like a single candy bar as you will immediately forfeit the rest of your $10."
According to the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions, the Elite Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite Members and Above at Courtyard, AC Hotels, and Moxy Hotels is this:

United States, Canada, Europe: 500 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1**

The two asterisks now correspond to this:

** The U.S. $10 F&B credit per day is for the Member. An additional U.S. $10 F&B credit per day is given for one (1) guest staying in the same guestroom as the Member. The U.S. $10 credit per day does not accrue during the stay. For example, a Member who does not use the $10 credit on one day does not get $20 to use the following day.

The T&Cs make it clear that the F&B credits due not accrue across a multi-night stay.

The T&Cs do not make it clear when each day ends during a multi-night stay. It would be reasonable to expect at least a series of 24-hour periods beginning at check-in, but more reasonable (and easier to implement) that each day would end at midnight, beginning with the day after check-in.

There is nothing in the T&Cs about the $10 F&C credit only going against a single transaction or only going against the first transaction of each day. If a hotel tries to pull such a stunt, the hotel should not be allowed to get away with it. It would be reasonable to invoke the guarantee for $50 Guest Compensation — and to escalate if the request is rejected.

(In other geographies, the benefit has additional complications because Courtyards can have lounges there.)
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
At that hotel, the $10 expiration was clearly explained as 16:00 daily (maximum elite checkout hour).
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
At that hotel, the $10 expiration was clearly explained as 16:00 daily (maximum elite checkout hour).
At least that hotel defined the expiration time of the F&B credit — at that particular hotel. This still doesn't explain such ridiculous things as being told that if your first transaction is a $2 candy bar, you forfeit the other $8, even if you have other F&B purchases that day.

It would be better if Marriott fully explained how the "U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1" benefit for Platinum Elite and higher is supposed to work at Courtyard, AC Hotels, and Moxy Hotels. It needs to be consistent. Hotels, guests, and Marriott International corporate all need to understand the benefit the same way. It's within Marriott's power to fix that easily. All it takes is online and printed material in plain English (and other major languages).

Instead, we have terms & conditions with incompletely defined benefits. And we have meaningless marketing content at Marriott.com. such as, "Welcome Gift Choice: Upon arrival, choose points, breakfast offering or amenity — varies by brand."

Meanwhile, the hotels make things up, either because they're trying to their best — or because their GM is trying to minimize costs, even if Elite members are shortchanged.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be fair, I think the original intent of this benefit is that one applies it toward restaurant meals over $10 per day, rather than getting consumed with candy bar purchases at the pantry.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LTT, EK Gold
Horace thanks a lot for the Wiki! Super helpful - with this myriad of Marriott T&Cs...
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:07 pm

The Wiki clearly explains that Platinum and higher status members are allowed a $10 F&B credit for the member + 1 in AC hotels.

I am at an AC hotel in Spain with my partner (both registered and sharing one room), but the reception insists that only one $10 credit is applied per room per day and not one for each registered guest (up to two).

Can anybody point me to an 'official' Marriott notice to this effect that I can show the hotel?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by puchong
The Wiki clearly explains that Platinum and higher status members are allowed a $10 F&B credit for the member + 1 in AC hotels.

I am at an AC hotel in Spain with my partner (both registered and sharing one room), but the reception insists that only one $10 credit is applied per room per day and not one for each registered guest (up to two).

Can anybody point me to an 'official' Marriott notice to this effect that I can show the hotel?
Are you two guests in one room? Call Marriott Cs about this and report. It's wrong.
Completed two stays in two different great Ac properties in Barcelona, AC Gava Mar and AC Barcelona Forum, and both me and Mrs joakgarp got 10 usd each to use every day.
Tanic likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by puchong
Check out Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions. Specifically you want to check the table in section 4.3.c. About halfway down the table is the requirements for AC hotels. It says "United States, Canada, Europe: 500 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1**" So for Europe it is pretty clear the member gets $10/day and if there is another person staying in the room (i.e. +1), they also get $10/day. But if you have more than 2 in the room, the hotel does not have to provide a $10/day benefit for them.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Check out Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions. Specifically you want to check the table in section 4.3.c. About halfway down the table is the requirements for AC hotels. It says "United States, Canada, Europe: 500 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1**" So for Europe it is pretty clear the member gets $10/day and if there is another person staying in the room (i.e. +1), they also get $10/day. But if you have more than 2 in the room, the hotel does not have to provide a $10/day benefit for them.

I can see some hotels interpreting that as $10 F&B credit per day for [Member +1]. If Marriott wanted to be crystal clear, they could have said $10 F&B credit per day per person for Member +1. But then again, Marriott has never excelled at clarity and loves to be as ambiguous as possible.
UA-NYC and joakgarp like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I can see some hotels interpreting that as $10 F&B credit per day for [Member +1]. If Marriott wanted to be crystal clear, they could have said $10 F&B credit per day per person for Member +1. But then again, Marriott has never excelled at clarity and loves to be as ambiguous as possible.
Two asterisks after "U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1" correspond to a clear footnote right below the chart:

** The U.S. $10 F&B credit per day is for the Member. An additional U.S. $10 F&B credit per day is given for one (1) guest staying in the same guestroom as the Member. The U.S. $10 credit per day does not accrue during the stay. For example, a Member who does not use the $10 credit on one day does not get $20 to use the following day.

There is no way that that can be interpreted as the Member +1 sharing the $10. There's clearly an "additional U.S. $10 F&B credit per day" for the guest staying in the same guest room as the Platinum (or higher) member.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Horace
Two asterisks after "U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1" correspond to a clear footnote right below the chart:

There is no way that that can be interpreted as the Member +1 sharing the $10. There's clearly an "additional U.S. $10 F&B credit per day" for the guest staying in the same guest room as the Platinum (or higher) member.
OK, that is crystal clear.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
That is why Marriott put the "**" at the end of the statement. At the bottom of the table is the following:

OK, that is crystal clear.
So yes, I agree with you. Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Last edited by hhoope01; Jun 28, 2019 at 12:59 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:33 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I've had a (US) Courtyard only give me 1 physical $10 voucher, even with 2 guests in the room (and the FD person made it sound like we only got the 1). But when both of us went to the Bistro together the next morning, the Bistro staff applied the single voucher for both of us (in effect, fulfilling the $10/each for member + 1). Which worked out fine in the end, but there could be more communication between the front desk and food service staff.
KRSW likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.