Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
Delta* (excluding resorts)
JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
Marriott (excluding resorts)
Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

Aloft
Autograph Collection (resorts only)
Delta (resorts only)
Four Points
The Luxury Collection
JW Marriott (resorts only)
Le Mridien
Marriott (resorts only)
Protea
Renaissance (resorts only)
St. Regis
Sheraton **
Tribute Portfolio
W Hotels
Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

Le Mridien (only at locations with a lounge)
Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

AC Hotels
Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

Element ****
Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
SpringHill Suites
TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

Design Hotels
Edition
Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
Gaylord Hotels
Marriott Executive Apartments
Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Boston Marriott Copley Place

Boston Marriott Long Wharf

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

JW Marriott Essex House New York City

JW Marriott New Orleans

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

JW Marriott Washington, DC

The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

Monterey Marriott

New York Marriott Marquis

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old May 18, 2019, 11:22 am

Marriott's new breakfast offering explained.....................Good Luck!
Old May 18, 2019, 11:32 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
The CY/AC is so simple in North America its hard to believe they can mess it up.

Each night for one person: $10 credit for that day; for two people: $20 credit for that day.

It's per day, not per stay.

Consider requesting the guarantee

And seems like the Canadian properties fixed the issue IIRC from other threads.
I made a post about this a while back... I believe it should be a set dollar amount if they are not just giving free breakfast. Why do I get less if I am by myself paying the same rate as someone travelling with another person.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I made a post about this a while back... I believe it should be a set dollar amount if they are not just giving free breakfast. Why do I get less if I am by myself paying the same rate as someone travelling with another person.
You get the same benefit. You do not get less when traveling alone. But when there's a second guest, that guest also gets the benefit. Among other things, this policy encourages leisure travel.

Marriott made a business decision that the standard at Courtyard would be to provide a $10 USD F&B credit daily when the room is occupied by a Platinum Elite (or higher) member, an additional $10 USD F&B credit daily when there's a second guest in the room — but no additional credits for a third or fourth guest.

This is parallel with how Marriott provides daily breakfast in the restaurant and lounge access at many other Marriott brands. When there's a second guest — but only when there's a second guest — there's a second benefit.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bigshooter
probably because theyre hoping people spend more than the $10 pp. 1 person could easily get their entire breakfast for $20, $10 not so much.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Except the above isn't accurate.
Care to point out how? Based on my review of available materials it is.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
The CY/AC is so simple in North America its hard to believe they can mess it up.

Each night for one person: $10 credit for that day; for two people: $20 credit for that day.

It's per day, not per stay.

Consider requesting the guarantee

And seems like the Canadian properties fixed the issue IIRC from other threads.
If by "fixed" you mean $10CAD (approx. $7USD), then that's been my experience. At current exchange rates $10USD would be close to $14CAD and the little cards are all pre-printed as $10. On both sides of the border I have had no problem getting the credit for each of us travelling together except when it's an award stay, then it's supposedly only one credit per room - in both Canada and the US.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I don't see that paid vs.award differentiation in the t & c?
Old May 20, 2019, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dtremit
Care to point out how? Based on my review of available materials it is.
Well, for starters your assertion that only one brand allows exec lounge access outside of the US is wrong.

Cheers.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by yyzflyer
If by "fixed" you mean $10CAD (approx. $7USD), then that's been my experience. At current exchange rates $10USD would be close to $14CAD and the little cards are all pre-printed as $10. On both sides of the border I have had no problem getting the credit for each of us travelling together except when it's an award stay, then it's supposedly only one credit per room - in both Canada and the US.
If that's your experience in Canada, then those Courtyards were cheating.

It's supposed to be "U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1" — or the local equivalent, not 10 units of local currency (even in countries where the local currency is also called a dollar).

There is not a difference in the Welcome Gift for paid stays and points stays. Again, a hotel appears to be cheating.

Friendly advice to FlyerTalkers: When a hotel fails to offer the published Platinum Elite Welcome Gift at check-in, invoke the Guarantee and request the published penalty. Even if the hotel then makes an "exception" and gives you what you should have offered in the first place, your are still entitled to the penalty. But you have to do this while you are at the hotel.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:13 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well, for starters your assertion that only one brand allows exec lounge access outside of the US is wrong.

Cheers.
I thought the OP saying there was one brand that does NOT offer lounge access in the USA but DOES offer lounge access outside of the the USA. (And I am curious which brand they think it is.)
Old May 20, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Horace
If that's your experience in Canada, then those Courtyards were cheating.

It's supposed to be "U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1" or the local equivalent, not 10 units of local currency (even in countries where the local currency is also called a dollar).

There is not a difference in the Welcome Gift for paid stays and points stays. Again, a hotel appears to be cheating.

Friendly advice to FlyerTalkers: When a hotel fails to offer the published Platinum Elite Welcome Gift at check-in, invoke the Guarantee and request the published penalty. Even if the hotel then makes an "exception" and gives you what you should have offered in the first place, your are still entitled to the penalty. But you have to do this while you are at the hotel.
He said he had been told it is $10/room on award stays in both countries.

Originally Posted by stc
I thought the OP saying there was one brand that does NOT offer lounge access in the USA but DOES offer lounge access outside of the the USA. (And I am curious which brand they think it is.)
I would say Courtyard. My first thought was Delta, but I have seen a report of a US Delta lounge.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
He said he had been told it is $10/room on award stays in both countries.
Sorry, I should clarify that I have no experience with an award stay in Canada per se, but assumed it would be the same as the US where I just completed a two-day points stay at the Courtyard San Francisco Downtown. Initially they offered me only $10 total for the stay, but after some back-and-forth agreed that it should be $10 per day "for the two of you". I understood this to mean $40 total. However, when I went to use it they clarified further that it was $10 total for both people per day. Fortunately the temporary front desk in this hotel is adjacent to the restaurant and the waiter took the card right over. I was told another $10 card would have been provided for an "additional paid guest" in the room, however since my spouse was not paying anything it was $10 for me only. After more discussion I was able to prevail, but it was made clear this was a one-time goodwill gesture. This actually made sense to me and I figured I had missed something in the fine print - which would of course apply equally in Canada.

My paid Courtyard stays in Canada since the policy change have yielded a $10CAD card for each person in the room and I did not question it until reading other posts in this thread. I do have an upcoming points stay at a Courtyard in Canada, so it will be interesting to see how they apply the policy.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
where I just completed a two-day points stay at the Courtyard San Francisco Downtown. Initially they offered me only $10 total for the stay,.
Just as a data point, we stayed at that same property in January and they each gave us $10 credits for each night per person (we were 2 people over 2 nights, so 4x$10). The only conversation at check-in was whether we wanted the F&B credit as our welcome gift.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by wcj1
Just as a data point, we stayed at that same property in January and they each gave us $10 credits for each night per person (we were 2 people over 2 nights, so 4x$10). The only conversation at check-in was whether we wanted the F&B credit as our welcome gift.
And you were on a points stay as well? The FD manager was very clear that there would have been no question had I been paying. It would have been 4x$10 (which is what we received in the end). I was willing to settle for 2x$10 had an employee not pressed the issue with the front desk. Considering a room was going for over $500/night while we were there and we were getting ours on points - at a 30% discount over their new rate as well, I wasn't going to complain too loudly over $20.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was a case of making up the rules as they go along at one property in San Francisco. Similar to my response at a Marriott regarding missing 1000 amenity points: "Silly guest - you don't get points for spending points!" (customer service added them later)
​​​​​​
margarita girl likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.